Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annual conference expansion talks heat up - Big 12, SEC adding teams?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 05, 2012, 04:03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psooie

With the GOR, movement is probably done for awhile. THe next phase will be determined by the size of the playoffs. If it stays at 4 teams, another round of conference movement will occur for leagues to get bigger. If it expands to 8 teams, conferences might want to go back to 12 team model.

RebelAt

d: The Dude's Purpose on Expansion::make ACC uncomfortable, doubt each others' commitment, intended audioence not joe fan, acc member instituitions, goal make them distress one another

So wait, this guy was publishing stuff purely to try and destroy the ACC as a conference?

From other info, it seemed like his "sources" were pretty limited, as well. 

I still don't believe that UVA was an invitation away from joining the Big Ten, it's just wildly ridiculous.  I would assume that if it were, at some point there would be material available to document requests.  Though, one would think there'd have been requests either from rabid fans or sports writers looking for the scoop.

Additionally, am I right in understanding that everyone is now turning their phasers on the Big 12 as the logical conference to collapse?

Hornkiller

Quote from: RebelAt on April 26, 2013, 11:04:34 am

Additionally, am I right in understanding that everyone is now turning their phasers on the Big 12 as the logical conference to collapse?

The Big ??? has a GOR like the ACC. It expires earlier but it makes it difficult to leave.

Plus no conference wants Texas with the LHN in place, the other Texas schools will stick by Bevo, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are tied at the hip. The SEC had their shot at WV and passed. No other power conferences seems to be interest in the birds in a blender, Jawhalks and Mildcats.

Murr

I still don't believe that UVA was an invitation away from joining the Big Ten, it's just wildly ridiculous.  I would assume that if it were, at some point there would be material available to document requests.  Though, one would think there'd have been requests either from rabid fans or sports writers looking for the scoop.

The Big 12's GOR willl expire before the ACC's.  Thus, if any unhappy members in the B12 cast a wondering eye, they would logically be the first available conference to lose members.

I think the bigger issue for now is how do these three 14-member conferences fix thier scheduling issues?  If the ACC, SEC and B1G get the B12 to petition the NCAA to change thier CCG requirements, then there would be no need for further shuffling.

Murr

Spin Zone 5/1/13: Expansion Recap
http://smcradio.com/the-spin-zone-5113/

The Dude:

Thinks expansion is not over, just on pause

Jim Lamar did not deny comments from last show

Swofford met individually with all FSU BOT members to controversially secure the GOR

ACC's surprise GOR shifts B1G's focus to B12

B1G has looked at Kansas and Oklahoma; have had talks with Texas

Convinced ACC is a basketball conference with a couple of football schools that'll suffer long term staying there

Letter from a "Big 4" reporter friend:
B1g can go after Mizzou, but needs a 16th.  B12 has a GOR and not sure B1G will go there.  Realize common perception is GOR will standup in a court of law. Will need a black sheep to challenge the GOR.  So it will make the B1G an outcast for doing so.  I don't see anyone leaving a GOR league PAC, ACC, B12 or B1g. Now when this GOR expire in 10 years,...

B12 is not going to expand.  They won't be harmed for not having a CCG

Hearing whispers that ESPN is telling Texas they will not be renewing the LHN; ESPN loosing too much $$$, lack of inventory

Wonders if that money would be diverted to ACC

Brett McMurphy tweeting: PSU's O'Brien: expansion for B1G will continue

maybe a little time lag to allow ACC schools to wiggle out

NCAA has denied the request to have a CCG with 10 members

Getting word that there is more rumblings out of B1G with expansion

Tim Harris

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on April 25, 2013, 11:48:43 am
I don't see any problem with football but last seasons SEC mens basketball scheduling was ATROCIOUS IMHO.

I agree.  I was not a fan of how the basketball schedule was set up.

jbcarol

UC Bearcats, TommyT left without a chair to sit on after the music stops (pauses) for conference realignment

For Cincinnati, anticipation turned to purgatory on April 22.

Think of the dream prom date cancelling at the last minute. Or missing the last flight out of Fairbanks. It had to be that bad, that disappointing, that defining.

"We only had about a three-hour advance notice from people I know," AD Whit Babcock said.

"They kept that real quiet," Babcock said of the ACC. "I guess I should learn enough from this business never to be surprised. But that one caught a lot of people off guard."

Let's be clear: Cincinnati would kill to keep its BCS-conference status. It is, well, status. But after this season, that goes away. What was once the Big East (American Athletic Conference on July 1) has an automatic berth for the last season of the BCS.

Tuberville's departure from Lubbock ranked right up there with Bret Bielema taking the Arkansas job as one of the biggest head scratchers of the offseason. When it was suggested that for all of Mike Leach's success at Tech, it may ultimately be easier to get to a BCS/playoff bowl at Cincinnati, Tuberville said, "You said it, I didn't."

Because, for now, it's true...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22212006/changing-landscape-of-college-football-leaves-cincinnati-behind

There had been some tough times in Lubbock including Suzanne Tuberville being in a car accident in which the elderly man driving the other car died months afterward.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NaturalStateReb

d: The Dude's Purpose on Expansion::make ACC uncomfortable, doubt each others' commitment, intended audioence not joe fan, acc member instituitions, goal make them distress one another

So wait, this guy was publishing stuff purely to try and destroy the ACC as a conference?

From other info, it seemed like his "sources" were pretty limited, as well. 

It became pretty clear a while back that there was a lot of Mountaineer butthurt involved in this stuff.

Looks like major realignment is dead for a few years.  Maybe that's not a bad thing.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.