Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V Miss St

Started by flippinhogmana, January 02, 2018, 06:48:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

January 02, 2018, 06:48:32 am Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:15:43 am by flippinhogmana
I will not offer any rosy prognosis.  They are the defending national championship game runners-up
They have a 6-7 post player and a 6-4 post player, both of which are good.
They have competent guards that are basically as good as any we have.  I dont see us having much advantage.
The game is also on the road.

Any bright spot that we have is that our coach knows their coach very well.
I offer that because I dont think there will be any attempt to run us into the ground.
I dont thank they will pressure us as much as ASU did.
But I think we might just handle it better if they did.
If we get as hot as the hubs of hell from the three point line we might keep this one close.

This game shows a late start time of 8pm on Thursday - SEC Network  *** I wondered if the late start might mean it was a candidate for a late TV pickup and apparently that is the case, it is now available on SEC TV as well, not just on the computer patch (channel 611 on Dish).
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

They are better than us at literally every position. And Vic is a great coach. I think the right frame of mind for this game is: what can we learn from it?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on January 02, 2018, 10:08:10 am
They are better than us at literally every position. And Vic is a great coach. I think the right frame of mind for this game is: what can we learn from it?

This. State is an absolute wrecking ball.  My wife is an alum so we watch a lot of their games.  I tease her and say they are bullies because they absolutely kill teams.  They beat a 1 loss GA team by 24 at GA.  I take solace in the fact that if Coach Vic can build a monster like that in Starkville, Mike Neighbors should be able to do it or close to it in Fayetteville. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 02, 2018, 11:08:02 am
This. State is an absolute wrecking ball.  My wife is an alum so we watch a lot of their games.  I tease her and say they are bullies because they absolutely kill teams.  They beat a 1 loss GA team by 24 at GA.  I take solace in the fact that if Coach Vic can build a monster like that in Starkville, Mike Neighbors should be able to do it or close to it in Fayetteville. 
That is what we are all hoping will happen.  If you can do it in Starkville - you should be able to do it here!

Kevin

just one of those games, as a coach you have to live through.  hopefully, these will be fewer and fewer has coach builds his program.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

flippinhogmana

well we do have one advantage after all...no one, not even our most faithful fans, expect us to have a chance.
I do think that our girls will be steely eyed and they might even play inspired for their coach.
They know he fights for them, I would not be surprised to see them fight for him (against his friend).
Heroism knows no gender.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

I think it is more likely that we can beat Kentucky.  We play them twice.  That would be a huge win also if we can beat them on our home court.  They seem to be down this year - they have lost six in a row, most of them were by good teams.  However, five of the games were double digit losses and included Florida Gulf Coast.  They also lost to Middle Tennessee who got beat by Ole Miss.  Maci Morris is their top scorer and is not a person that we should have a hard time guarding as she has a build like BZ, but is a very good outside shooter and can drive to the bucket.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 02, 2018, 02:50:27 pm
I think it is more likely that we can beat Kentucky.  We play them twice.  That would be a huge win also if we can beat them on our home court.  They seem to be down this year - they have lost six in a row, most of them were by good teams.  However, five of the games were double digit losses and included Florida Gulf Coast.  They also lost to Middle Tennessee who got beat by Ole Miss.  Maci Morris is their top scorer and is not a person that we should have a hard time guarding as she has a build like BZ, but is a very good outside shooter and can drive to the bucket.

Yeah I saw that about Kentuck.  I watched three SEC games Sunday just to get a sense of the opposition.  I wasn't impressed by Miss St as much as I was last year.  But after Vic tore into them, they got down to business and looked better.   Kentucky didn't look as bad as their record but stats don't lie do they?  Sometimes you have to know the context on how the record and the stats were accumulated but still, in this case, they just haven't played well.  The team I would like to beat that we shouldn't be able to is Missouri.

MoHog74

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 02, 2018, 04:16:49 pm
The team I would like to beat that we shouldn't be able to is Missouri.

+1  I couldn't agree more.  It sure would be nice to have their fans leave BWA disappointed.

BWS

Charlie Creme has us as one of the first four out in his first bracketology. http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology   

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

January 03, 2018, 06:18:55 am #11 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:04:22 am by flippinhogmana
hogs rpi ranking now at 49 before the Ms State game (will be even better after it).  Eight of the games that we play in conference will be against teams who dont have as good an rpi ranking as we do.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: BWS on January 02, 2018, 10:23:35 pm
Charlie Creme has us as one of the first four out in his first bracketology. http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology   
Interesting as we only have six teams in the tournament: Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Missouri are locks while Georgia is our sixth team at an 8 seed.  We are the next one in with LSU following us.  Kentucky not even in contention.  Let's see that puts us as the 7th best team in the conference - that is a long way from 14th!  To me this shows a lot of confidence in our coach.

psycHOGlogist

I think it's a combo of the conference not being too deep this year, some surprising poor performances by teams that are supposed to be better than we are, confidence in CMN's body of work over the years, and some guesswork. I'm at a bit of a loss to think of what this team has done, win-wise, to merit bubble consideration at this point, but I'll take being in the conversation. Maybe the bubble will be very soft this year. At the end of the day, I think we are somewhere between 10-12 in the conference standings, and probably on the outside looking in at post-season play.

But man, would I love to be wrong and be a bubble team looking at a WNIT bid!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on January 03, 2018, 10:12:16 am
I think it's a combo of the conference not being too deep this year, some surprising poor performances by teams that are supposed to be better than we are, confidence in CMN's body of work over the years, and some guesswork. I'm at a bit of a loss to think of what this team has done, win-wise, to merit bubble consideration at this point, but I'll take being in the conversation. Maybe the bubble will be very soft this year. At the end of the day, I think we are somewhere between 10-12 in the conference standings, and probably on the outside looking in at post-season play.

But man, would I love to be wrong and be a bubble team looking at a WNIT bid!

Interesting as we only have six teams in the tournament: Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Missouri are locks while Georgia is our sixth team at an 8 seed.  We are the next one in with LSU following us.  Kentucky not even in contention.  Let's see that puts us as the 7th best team in the conference - that is a long way from 14th!  To me this shows a lot of confidence in our coach.

I have no doubt that MN's previous body of work has some impact, but I think the evaluation is based more on RPI.  I think we will make the WNIT this year.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 03, 2018, 10:23:55 am

I have no doubt that MN's previous body of work has some impact, but I think the evaluation is based more on RPI.  I think we will make the WNIT this year.
You are probably right in your evaluation.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 03, 2018, 05:30:03 am
Neighbors previews Ms state video

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/?cat=12
Who do we think coach is going to leave open to start the game while double teaming McGowan?  Interesting strategy.  I do not see it working, but I can see no way that we can realistically beat them anyway.

psycHOGlogist

I can only imagine it would be Schaefer's daughter — who can shoot. But you can't not guard William, Vivians, McGowan, or Johnson (who is the only other choice, I guess?).

psycHOGlogist

Also interesting to take a look at Danberry's numbers. I assume she became eligible at semester, because she didn't play until 12/10. She's played in 7 games so far, getting fewer than 10 mins against good opponents and 13 or so against not-so-good opponents. Her shooting percentage is about the same as it was here (not great).

Hope she's happy and liking the environment there more than she did here, but it doesn't seem to be turning into a great basketball move for her yet. Hope she does well (except today! WPS!).

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on January 04, 2018, 12:47:31 pm
I can only imagine it would be Schaefer’s daughter — who can shoot. But you can’t not guard William, Vivians, McGowan, or Johnson (who is the only other choice, I guess?).
You and I are on the same page, but it could be Williams and pick her up when she drives the lane, I do not think she shoots the 3 very well.

flippinhogmana

January 04, 2018, 02:36:03 pm #20 Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:12:21 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 04, 2018, 01:17:48 pm
  You and I are on the same page, but it could be Williams and pick her up when she drives the lane, I do not think she shoots the 3 very well.

Well he did indicate that he didn't think that it would be long before Vic would notice.  I suppose if it works, then he would notice sooner though.  If it doesn't then he might not have to deal with it long.  You notice that one of our players is open a lot?  When you shoot less than 20 percent from distance that tends to happen.  I imagine it would be Morgan William who only shoots .125 from distance.

If one of my past teams had a similar situation in the past I went with a triangle and two - with the two being one player fronting the post player and one playing behind her/him.  Usually the three would have to give up something (or someone usually) that you had to leave wide open at least in a certain area of the court.  What you are trying to do is force the other team to channel that shot to a place that they dont want to take it from.  It's not just about giving them poor shots, its about getting them out of rhythm and out of sorts.  But if their big player can defeat the double team, then its you who soon get out of it.  Even if their big girl doesn't get shots initially, it doesn't mean you can keep her off the boards for offensive boards and stick backs - especially if the refs allow her to go over the back. 

But thats just on one end of the court.  She is still 6-7 and she is still dangerous on the other end of the court. It will be hard for us to get the offensive boards we usually get, and stick backs even if we get the boards are going to be harder.  If we were fortunate enough to get her frustrated and in foul trouble, their back up is still 6-4 and pretty decent herself.   

flippinhogmana

In one way I have to laugh at Mike - not in humor, but in appreciation and something akin to familiarity and delight.  Mike is not going down without a fight!  Even if he knows the odds are overwhelming!  I was the same way.  I never believed there was a game I couldn't win somehow.  At least I wasn't willing to admit it.  I think that is a very valuable thing in the long run for your team. 

LadybackBBFan

[quote author=flippinhogmana link=topic=654949.msg11308407#msg11308407 date=1515098163
But thats just on one end of the court.  She is still 6-7 and she is still dangerous on the other end of the court. It will be hard for us to get the offensive boards we usually get, and stick backs even if we get the boards are going to be harder.  If we were fortunate enough to get her frustrated and in foul trouble, their back up is still 6-4 and pretty decent herself.   
[/quote] Well she will get plenty of opportunity to either block our shots or foul are guards as they go to the bucket quite a bit - especially Monk and Cosper.

flippinhogmana

Well she will get plenty of opportunity to either block our shots or foul are guards as they go to the bucket quite a bit - especially Monk and Cosper.

No doubt about that Coach.  Smart players adjust though if they have opportunity.  If they are able to get the drives, let home they either take the mid range jumper (and dont pursue the drives to the point of drawing charges) or hit a open teammate.  I hope Kairyn Swinson has a bit night tonight.  I hope we dont get into foul trouble.  But if we do, I hope Macy Weaver has a profitable night. 

I am not sure how much I will do the thread tonight.  I dont like to post if we are getting smoked (dont even like to watch really).  But I may do it anyway if there are those who dont have access to SEC tv via cable or internet.

flippinhogmana

tip off coming up in just over fifteen minutes

flippinhogmana

the dogs starting line up goes, 5-5, 5-7, 5-7, 6-1 and 6-7
Other than McCowan they dont have a whole lot more height than us (but they do have more depth and height in that depth)

flippinhogmana

A&M right now is in a three point game with less than ten seconds to go with Kentucky AT HOME

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

Vivians, the all american at 6-1 is going to be just as hard for us to handle as McCowan will be

flippinhogmana

tip up coming up now
ms state controls
three misses, mccowan gets the board and missess,
Willimas comes outs and hits a three, hogs up to start

flippinhogmana

monk misses
dogs miss a three bug the dogs get the offensvie board and miss again, williams hit agaisnt inside.  He has five and the hogs lead 5-0
williams (dogs williams) steps in side and hits a jumper 5-2
cosper hits on a layup 7-2 hogs
shaeffer hits a three hogs 7-5

flippinhogmana

hogs with a turnover and its a tie on the run out 7-7
hogs push it and its layup for williams, 9-7, dogs hit back, 9-9

Mason answers on the other end, 11-9
Williams streps inside again and hits 11-11
hogs give up a three to williams, 14-11 dogs
Our williiams is fouled an will go to the line

flippinhogmana

williams with five so far, mason with two, cosper with two

flippinhogmana

williams hit the first, and the swishes the second 13-14 dogs with 4:46 to go
dogs miss a three
monk misses from outside
dogs push and shoot an airball
refs say it was tipped
dogs get it atain when hogs couldnt corral a board and score, 16-13 dogs

flippinhogmana

hogs trn it over
dogs score on a short jumper
RnB hits a three, dogs 18-16
vivians scores to make it 20-16
monk mizzsz on  drive, thomas gets the board but steps on the end line
dogs scores on a drvie again
monk is blocked but comes back and gets the steal
cosper drives and is fouled, first on dogs
22-16 with 1:40 to go

flippinhogmana

cosper misses but thomas boards and sticks it back, hogs working hard and battling on the boards (both swinson and thomas) now 22-18 with less than a mnuete to go
cosper drives but gets charged with a foul on the drive
thomas another board on the dogs miss
mason hits a two at the buzzer
20-22

flippinhogmana

One thing you can say is that this game is nothing like the ASU game!

flippinhogmana

williams with nine, RNB with three, mason with four, cosper with two
cosper stops and pops from three and misses to start the quarter
on the other end they get it to Mccownan who misses
they push to Rnb who hits the three
then dogs miss again, thomas boards
Thomas is boarding inside like A WOMAN!

BWS

Man, this game is fast paced.

flippinhogmana

tied now at 25 after a dogs bucket
27-27 after a mason bucket
dogs hit a three, hogs answer with a two by Thomas
30-29 dogs at just under six
dogs score and its 32-29
hogs cant get the ball in and turn it over

flippinhogmana

msu hits a three, dogs up by 6
monk hits a scoop shot
35-31 dogs
williams hits inside to cut it to two, 35-33
dogs answer

flippinhogmana

time out on the media
williams with eleven (scored the last one flat over mccowan)
mason with eight, RNB with six, thomas with four, monk and cosper with two

flippinhogmana

37-33 dogs at the 3:57 mark
monk misses the drive
vivians hits a three
40-33
zimmer misses a three
mccowan has done nothing but now the hogs are going cold

flippinhogmana

dogs miss the three bu gets the boards and hit a driving layup and one
43-33
zimmer hits a drive and one to come, hits the ft, 43-36
dogs score inside 45-36
monk partially blocked
Mcowan goes to work inside and is foulded by zimmer, she hits the two fts for her first points
47-36 monk is fouled on the drive
hogs will be in the bonus now too
cosper hits the three, 47-39
cowan misses, but gets her miss and scores, 49-39 at the half

flippinhogmana

thomas leads the boards with six, cosper and monk follow with three

flippinhogmana

I have never seen the girls play this hard and I am proud of them.  they have six turnovers, and the dogs only have one (a monk steal)
I think they have at least one more run in them.  They were extremely hot and then had a cold stretch, thats only when the dogs were able to pull ahead (that and the turnovers).
On the down side, McCowan is starting to get heated up, they will be hard pressed to shut her down in the second half as much as they did in the first.

flippinhogmana

hogs didnt leave anything on the court the first half - willaims eleven, mason eight, RNB six, Cosper five, two for monk

flippinhogmana

second half about to start

flippinhogmana

dogs with the ball
hit on a drive, and the dogs will press now
williams with a to
51-39 dogs
dogs hit a sort umpercosper drives and the call a charge on her that was bogus

flippinhogmana

cospe rwith her fourth boards
monk hits a jumper to cut it back to twelve, dogs hit a three
to go up by 15
cosper drives and is fouled will head to the line
misses the first and hits the second dogs by fourteen
zimmer gets hit with a foul on a bump
dogs score inside
monk fouled on a drive will go to the line
hits the first and missses the second, dogs 58-43