Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De Chambeau

Started by GolfNut57, December 08, 2016, 05:18:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

There was talk on here awhile back about how this guy uses the same length shaft in all his irons but I never understood how that concept can work well enough to be successful. Seems to me it would really screw up his distances with each club. If his 7I is the same length as his sand wedge wouldn't they go the same distance with the only difference being the sand wedge would go at a higher ascent angle due to it being a higher lofted club? Or is distance solely predicated on the loft, and the length of the shaft has little effect on the distance? I know one of you technical gurus can answer this.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

TheJoeyBucketz

Pretty sure total distance comes from combo of speed and launch angle. Longer shaft equals more speed, so more distance without lowering launch angle.

His 7i should go further than a standard length 7i, but his 4i would still generate more total distance based off of it having a lower launch angle.

I think.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Boarcephus

I was watching him today and he is putting like Sam Snead did late in his career, from the side like he's playing croquet.  Don't know the guy but get the impression he's a strange dude. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 08, 2016, 08:31:34 pm
Don't know the guy but get the impression he's a strange dude.
Really stepping out on a limb with that call, huh?
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

GolfNut57

Quote from: golf2day on December 08, 2016, 08:06:38 pm
Pretty sure total distance comes from combo of speed and launch angle. Longer shaft equals more speed, so more distance without lowering launch angle.

His 7i should go further than a standard length 7i, but his 4i would still generate more total distance based off of it having a lower launch angle.

I think.

But with the same length shafts both his 7I and his 4I would have the same swing speed aka clubhead speed. Correct?

btw, doesn't your two statements in bold contradict each other?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Iwastherein1969

I predicted when I first saw him on tour that his swing would leave him when the pressure is on...and I'm not talking amateur pressure but PGA tour pressure. And so far I've been right. It's my understanding that all of his clubs are just over 3 feet long, no matter whether its a wedge or 2 iron. This makes no sense to me but the guy is supposed to be some kind of mathematical savant. Anyway, its my contention that having all of his clubs at 37.5 inches long will bring his long irons in to the swing plane at too steep of an arc. I don't see how it works unless the guy has the best hand/eye coordination of all time. JMHO because he can beat my hiney all over the golf course, but can't help but think he's not getting the full potential out of his game by making it so mathematics critical.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 08, 2016, 09:28:37 pm
But with the same length shafts both his 7I and his 4I would have the same swing speed aka clubhead speed. Correct?

btw, doesn't your two statements in bold contradict each other?
I don't think so.

Assume you are launching two rockets at the same speed. One will be launched at 22 degrees and the other will be launched at 35 degrees. They will have the same velocity, but the one launched at a higher angle will have a more parabolic flight, which will attain a higher top height but won't achieve as much total distance.

The higher the launch angle the more energy is expended in going up instead of out.

I think.

Jackrabbit Hog

My question is, why would anybody pay attention to him when he's paired with Sexy Lexi this week??  Love that amazon!
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

root_hawg

Some kind of a physics major I believe so yeah real smart

Iwastherein1969

December 12, 2016, 01:17:15 am #10 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:41:37 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 09, 2016, 07:51:53 am
My question is, why would anybody pay attention to him when he's paired with Sexy Lexi this week??  Love that amazon!
...you might just have a point there, Jackrabbit....    Lexie has the cutest lil' innie bellybutton anyone has ever seen

GolfNut57

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 12, 2016, 01:17:15 am
...you might just have a point there, Jackrabbit....    Lexie has the cutest lil' innie bellybutton anyone has ever seen

De Cham.........WHO???

As someone who has seen Lexi in person, that picture resembles her in a manner that the CGI at the end of Rogue One looks like Princess Leia.

GolfNut57

dbthegreat

his distance gapping is made up of the loft of the club and progressive swing weight throughout the set
Hog Fever

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: dbthegreat on February 07, 2017, 09:27:52 pm
his distance gapping is made up of the loft of the club and progressive swing weight throughout the set
sounds like a line that is made up to me...either that or fuzzy math

Iwastherein1969

was watching how the tour club shop (which follows the PGA around to all their major stops) and they had a guy showing all the BS he has to go through in taking the weight out of a Callaway wedge and how he grinds it down for De Chambeau...I know the guy is good, but I don't see him making any type of impact like some of his peers have on the tour...the guy is so steep with his irons he's a Shankapotamus waiting to happen under pressure in a Major he's in contention on the back nine of the final day....maybe he'll prove me wrong, obviously the guy has talent....it's just that his swing looks like it would abandon him under pressure...JMO

Boarcephus

Saw the other day where Cobra, one of this sponsors,  has come out with a couple of same length iron sets. 

Agree with Iwasthere, his swing doesn't look like you'd expect on the tour.

Jackrabbit Hog

He's starting to get bad PR, which is disappointing given how he burst onto the scene at the Masters last year.  A combination of poor play, quirkiness with the clubs and his putter, and a sissy slap twitter war with the USGA has him looking like either a flash in the pan or, worse, a spoiled brat.  I suspect he'll get over it, start playing better, and have a nice career, but he's learning some hard lessons at the moment.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 27, 2017, 10:12:39 am
He's starting to get bad PR, which is disappointing given how he burst onto the scene at the Masters last year.  A combination of poor play, quirkiness with the clubs and his putter, and a sissy slap twitter war with the USGA has him looking like either a flash in the pan or, worse, a spoiled brat.  I suspect he'll get over it, start playing better, and have a nice career, but he's learning some hard lessons at the moment.

It's the hat......

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 27, 2017, 10:12:39 am

the USGA is undefeated. bad idea trying to get in a war with them. they have so much unchecked power and influence in golf and LOOOOOVE having the spotlight. They're on par with Roger Goodell in terms of attention whores.

de Chamb will be fine. He's talented enough and has the work ethic to be a contender.

Roctavious

Cobra is releasing a set. It's a neat concept but I think it would be difficult for anyone who has played a long time to switch to. It's a decent possibility for anyone who's just picking up the game to try out. Even if Cobra quits making the clubs, you could always get a set that way from Ping, just every iron would be a different color code. It's been tried before. My buddy at my local golf shop wants me to give it a try and I'm curious since I suck at golf anyway. Just waiting for some lefties to come in.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Roctavious on March 15, 2017, 12:30:02 pm
Cobra is releasing a set. It's a neat concept but I think it would be difficult for anyone who has played a long time to switch to. It's a decent possibility for anyone who's just picking up the game to try out. Even if Cobra quits making the clubs, you could always get a set that way from Ping, just every iron would be a different color code. It's been tried before. My buddy at my local golf shop wants me to give it a try and I'm curious since I suck at golf anyway. Just waiting for some lefties to come in.
I believe I'd hit some used clubs with this format than jump out there and buy a set of irons

Roctavious

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 12, 2017, 12:28:01 am
I believe I'd hit some used clubs with this format than jump out there and buy a set of irons

There's always the demo set. It would be a weird thing for someone to try who's been playing for years and is a decent golfer. For those who are not a good, or even tolerable golfer, it's an interesting concept. One swing, one ball position. Definitely makes the game easier to learn for a beginner. Only problem seems to be when you get past the gap wedge.