Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Encryption software now that TrueCrypt can't be "trusted"?

Started by Augustus, June 12, 2014, 12:02:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Well, it's been 2 weeks since the TrueCrypt Project was, without notice, shutdown... and no further indication has come out as to why. (Some say they probably received a letter from the NSA demanding a back door, and they refused to provide it... some say they were undergoing an audit and didn't want to deal with patching the software)

So, my question is... does anyone have any recommendation for encryption software for external hard drives? I would like to have the same "travel" functionality that TrueCrypt provided

This would be for Windows machines... 7, Vista

I do NOT want to use Windows' BitLocker (as they no doubt have already given the NSA a backdoor, plus they don't allow "travel" functionality for external drives)

nor do I want to use PGP, for the same reason as BitLocker.

Suggestions?

Flying Razorback

So can I continue to use my old TrueCrypt drives without worry?

I hate they shut down.  Post if you get a lead on anything else.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Augustus

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on June 14, 2014, 04:56:21 pm
So can I continue to use my old TrueCrypt drives without worry?

I hate they shut down.  Post if you get a lead on anything else.

See, I'm not sure anybody knows.  Assuming TrueCrypt shutdown because the NSA demanded a back door, quite a few security writers are presuming that version 7.1a (and prior versions) is still safe to use.

However, I follow some of the people who were performing the audit of TC, and one of the guys says he doesn't even trust 7.1a anymore.  Hopefully more info will be available shortly.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: AugustusThe3rd on June 15, 2014, 03:03:21 pm
See, I'm not sure anybody knows.  Assuming TrueCrypt shutdown because the NSA demanded a back door, quite a few security writers are presuming that version 7.1a (and prior versions) is still safe to use.

However, I follow some of the people who were performing the audit of TC, and one of the guys says he doesn't even trust 7.1a anymore.  Hopefully more info will be available shortly.

Yeah I have 7.1a.  I have older versions on older computers that I don't use anymore.  But TrueCrypt was a vital part of my personal information and network security plan.

That sucks.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Augustus

Quote from: Flying Razorback on June 15, 2014, 03:28:15 pm

Yeah I have 7.1a.  I have older versions on older computers that I don't use anymore.  But TrueCrypt was a vital part of my personal information and network security plan.

That sucks.

After some time, an update on this...  The group that was auditing the TrueCrypt software (version 7.1a) has finished and found no "significant" issues. 

Just to remind, that group had just finished the 1st phase of the audit, when the TrueCrypt suddenly and by surprise shut the project down... Didn't offer downloads of the software anymore and advised people to use Windows BitLocker or Symantec PGP (both of which are suspected to allow backdoors at the request of certain Gov't agencies).

It was suspected that the TrueCrypt developers were confronted to allow a back door, "or else"... and instead shut the project down.

This group finally finished the next phase of the audit of TrueCrypt 7.1a, and apparently has not found any back doors.

It appears TrueCrypt version 7.1a is still safe for use, assuming you still have an original download from TrueCrypt's site from before when they shut the project down.

Of course, there are several forks of the "old" TrueCrypt software code, one I believe is "VeraCrypt"... but one should consider whether they trust the source before using.

Personally, I'll continue using TrueCrypt v 7.1a, after the conclusion of this audit.

You can read more, here:
http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2015/04/truecrypt-report.html

RebelliousHog

download.com has several including one that is free. Not sure if this what you want.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci