Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Is 5 stars vs 3 and 4 stars

Started by bigpigpimpin, January 07, 2017, 09:09:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

Hogs are not being out coached or out hustled, just simply out talented. That's all it is.

tee1up2par

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 07, 2017, 09:09:32 pm
Hogs are not being out coached or out hustled, just simply out talented. That's all it is.

I don't completely agree. We have the best 3 point shooter in the SEC and no plan to get him open shots. He runs around while we pass the ball around the perimeter hoping his defender falls down. No drive & dish, no going inside then passing back out on a double team, nothing. And that is coaching.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

sickboy

Quote from: tee1up2par on January 07, 2017, 09:19:02 pm
I don't completely agree. We have the best 3 point shooter in the SEC and no plan to get him open shots. He runs around while we pass the ball around the perimeter hoping his defender falls down. No drive & dish, no going inside then passing back out on a double team, nothing. And that is coaching.

Kentucky's defense isn't that bad. Give them a little credit. He runs around trying to shake his defender.

ChicoHog

UK plays great man to man defense.  Always has under Calipari.  Usually their problem is outside shooting. 

hogmolar

They just commented and said that they have 6 of the top 45 players. That is insane. 1 would make a huge difference on our team.

WorfHog

This is refs + five stars vs 3 and 4 stars. Kentucky will be exposed in the NCAA's.

popcornhog

Quote from: hogmolar on January 07, 2017, 09:30:05 pm
They just commented and said that they have 6 of the top 45 players. That is insane. 1 would make a huge difference on our team.

That's what's coming in next year out of HS.
WPS

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogman99

Very good summation

rude1

Seriously? You really believe we need to structure an offense to get one guy open who isn't making his shots? Let's put you in charge, you have the answers!!!!

bkjbearcat

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 07, 2017, 09:31:19 pm
Let's be honest, monk is about the 5th or 6th best player on that kentucky team. He would be the best player on our team.

Ya, but Monk wouldn't be good for MA's "System."
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Smithian

People complained about the same thing with Rotnei Clarke.

Our opponents also pay coaching staffs to watch film and make plans. I bet Kentucky had something to do with Hannahs not being open.

hogsanity

Quote from: Smithian on January 07, 2017, 09:44:40 pm
People complained about the same thing with Rotnei Clarke.

Our opponents also pay coaching staffs to watch film and make plans. I bet Kentucky had something to do with Hannahs not being open.

Some guys can make their own space to shoot 3's and some can't. Pat Bradley coild not make Bosnian but he was blessed to play with guard who could get him open.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: hogmolar on January 07, 2017, 09:30:05 pm
got their fifth 5* today...

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: sickboy on January 07, 2017, 09:22:21 pm
Kentucky's defense isn't that bad. Give them a little credit. He runs around trying to shake his defender.
Cal coaches don't try to steal it... Front, make them shoot it and block out. They do it well.

S.A.D.C

Let's be honest, monk is about the 5th or 6th best player on that kentucky team. He would be the best player on our team.

This is BS- have you watched any Kentucky games before tonight?  He is their best player and could be in the conversation for National Player of the Year.  Try watching some games.

S.A.D.C

Fact.

lynbug

Quote from: rude1 on January 07, 2017, 09:36:48 pm
Seriously? You really believe we need to structure an offense to get one guy open who isn't making his shots? Let's put you in charge, you have the answers!!!!
Is there a possibility that he might get open more if we had a few more structured plays? (And, by the way, I understand your frustration....I'm just not lashing out)

rude1

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 07, 2017, 09:52:36 pm
This is BS- have you watched any Kentucky games before tonight?  He is their best player and could be in the conversation for National Player of the Year.  Try watching some games.
No he isn't their best player, but he is a perfect piece for the other players they have around him. He has a lightning quick point guard, and superior play inside, his role is to park outside the arc and make people pay for trying to contain all those other weapons. Fox is the straw that stirs that drink and it's not close. If they lose him, they will become ordinary.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: lynbug on January 07, 2017, 09:54:24 pm
  Is there a possibility that he might get open more if we had a few more structured plays? (And, by the way, I understand your frustration....I'm just not lashing out)

He has opportunities to knock dow n shots tonight and he penetrated instead. Dusty need to show up.

RedRock

It's calipari vs 6th grade coaching.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: rude1 on January 07, 2017, 09:56:04 pm
No he isn't their best player, but he is a perfect piece for the other players they have around him. He has a lightning quick point guard, and superior play inside, his role is to park outside the arc and make people pay for trying to contain all those other weapons. Fox is the straw that stirs that drink and it's not close. If they lose him, they will become ordinary.

There certainly are not 4 or 5 guys better than him on that team.  Maybe not in the country.  But you can see what you want to see. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: popcornhog on January 07, 2017, 09:32:31 pm
That's what's coming in next year out of HS.

Think that's this year since he joins this spring semester

onebadrubi

While we can say a lot of negative things about Kentucky, this just isn't correct.  And I don't care for monk even

Hogs958

don't criticize the basketball program. It's a no win scenario.

GoHogs1091

Kentucky basketball is really 3rd fiddle in that state.  Thoroughbred horse racing will always be the king in that state.

1.  Thoroughbred horse racing
2.  Chevrolet Corvette production   Produced in Bowling Green, Kentucky
3.  Kentucky Wildcats basketball

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 07, 2017, 10:06:26 pm
Kentucky basketball is really 3rd fiddle in that state.  Thoroughbred horse racing will always be the king in that state.

Lol no.  You must not know anyone or ever been to Kentucky.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 07, 2017, 10:07:47 pm
Lol no.  You must not know anyone or ever been to Kentucky.

Doesn't matter what the Kentucky Wildcats basketball program does.

It will never surpass Churchill Downs (the Kentucky Derby), Keeneland, the Keeneland Yearling Sales, and the farms (stallion breeding).

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: RedRock on January 07, 2017, 10:00:24 pm

Dang you really feel like that? I thought Anderson did a great job in preparation. We didnt turn the ball over mych and their best scorer was controlled. In the 2nd half we weren't making shots and once Barford got 4 fouls we stopped attacking. Hannahs and Macon were very hesitant tonight.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 07, 2017, 10:12:31 pm
Doesn't matter what the Kentucky Wildcats basketball program does.

It will never surpass Churchill Downs (the Kentucky Derby), Keeneland, the Keeneland Yearling Sales, and the farms (stallion breeding).
Churchill downs is a huge draw yes. But to say the Kentucky basketball program lives in the shadow of the Kentucky derby when it comes to
Importance is just wrong. There are thousands of Kentucky fans that don't care about the horse track. While just about every kentuckynresident that attends the derby supports either UK or Louisville.

Rbill

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 07, 2017, 10:15:01 pm
Dang you really feel like that? I thought Anderson did a great job in preparation. We didnt turn the ball over mych and their best scorer was controlled. In the 2nd half we weren't making shots and once Barford got 4 fouls we stopped attacking. Hannahs and Macon were very hesitant tonight.

I thought Macon was doing well until he got in foul trouble too. I also thought we looked like we were mentally ready but Macon and Barford got in trouble and there wasn't much of a plan B.

Captain Morgan

??? ??? ???
Not being out coached?
Calipari is a Hall of Fame coach and Anderson is not on the same planet in terms of success. The second half was certainly the Hogs being out coached

sooie84

We were a five star destination in the 1990's. We don't treat the bball program with that respect anymore. We get what we ask for. We will never beat a committed bama in football. We beat Kentucky in the 90's when it mattered most. We lost our focus as a fan base. They didn't. Kentucky will always support basketball first. The expansion to 72,000 in Fayetteville made us feel important in 1998. We know how that turned out.

rude1

Quote from: lynbug on January 07, 2017, 09:54:24 pm
More of this "structured" nonsense, so you believe the other team is just going to allow us to run plays to get that ONE guy open? Listen and learn, the scouting report is out now, "Dusty will hurt you if you don't pay attention to him", other teams are shadowing him like a glove. This is compounded by the fact IMO that Dusty is trying too hard to prove he is more than a 3 pt shooter, which is leading him to let open looks go in favor of putting the ball on the floor and trying to get to the rim.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 07, 2017, 10:16:56 pm
Churchill downs is a huge draw yes. But to say the Kentucky basketball program lives in the shadow of the Kentucky derby when it comes to
Importance is just wrong. There are thousands of Kentucky fans that don't care about the horse track. While just about every kentuckynresident that attends the derby supports either UK or Louisville.

Kentucky Derby day draws in an attendance of somewhere around 200,000 people (just 1 day).  Also, Churchill Downs and Keeneland have multi-day racing seasons.

We are not even talking about the money difference (economic impact) between their Thoroughbred horse racing industry and their state school collegiate basketball program.

Their state school collegiate basketball program is a small fish compared to their Thoroughbred horse racing industry.

upperdeck_hawg

They will get beat by a well coached team of 3 and 4 stars in the tourney.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

root_hawg

Who is it?  Dusty Hannahs is currently not in the top 20 in the conference in 3 pt percentage.

Hogimus Prime

Hogs had a good game plan, but cold 2nd half shooting, bad timing on some calls killed it. Barford getting his 4th when he did really hurt things. IMO he is the only giard that can drive and is big enough to finish in traffic. 

Fox is good.  He was the only one that was impressive.  Monk had an off game. Bam is just athletic. Willis is just a shooter who got hot.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 07, 2017, 10:06:26 pm

Lol...  is that why I see so many people wearing horse racing shirts and hats when I travel through Kentucky?  Or why kids go out in the yard and pretend to be corvette production workers?

Horse racing is a big deal for sure- but it is a completely different animal.  Anyone who has spent any time at all in Kentucky knows Kentucky Basketball is as big as it gets there.  It is a national brand on par with Kansas, Duke, North Carolina. 

S.A.D.C

Quote from: rude1 on January 07, 2017, 10:30:16 pm
More of this "structured" nonsense, so you believe the other team is just going to allow us to run plays to get that ONE guy open? Listen and learn, the scouting report is out now, "Dusty will hurt you if you don't pay attention to him", other teams are shadowing him like a glove. This is compounded by the fact IMO that Dusty is trying too hard to prove he is more than a 3 pt shooter, which is leading him to let open looks go in favor of putting the ball on the floor and trying to get to the rim.

I don't think Dusty works hard enough away from the ball to get good looks.  I know people hated JJ Redic back in the day, and Dusty is no JJ, but that guy worked so hard to get opportunities.  I don't see Dusty doing that right now.

King Kong

Quote from: RedRock on January 07, 2017, 10:00:24 pm

That's odd. Same as your reading level.

King Kong

SMH. Monk is the best player on UK. Kid dropped 47 on UNC

ShadowHawg

Extremely low bball iq on display in the above post.

Folks, you play man to man in order to stop 3 point shooting. That is what Kentucky played exclusively.

Furthermore, when you play a very good shooter like Hannahs, you tell his man he is not to provide help d under any circumstances which eliminates drive and kick opportunities. Kentucky did this also.

Not much you can do as a coach to free your guy up under those circumstances when the defenders employing this d are also future pros.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 07, 2017, 09:47:45 pm
Some guys can make their own space to shoot 3's and some can't. Pat Bradley coild not make Bosnian but he was blessed to play with guard who could get him open.

agree.. as noted before,  a true distributor would help all our guys.. Moses, Dusty and Cook would benefit the most, imo..

GoHogs1091

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 08, 2017, 07:30:28 am
Lol...  is that why I see so many people wearing horse racing shirts and hats when I travel through Kentucky?  Or why kids go out in the yard and pretend to be corvette production workers?

Horse racing is a big deal for sure- but it is a completely different animal.  Anyone who has spent any time at all in Kentucky knows Kentucky Basketball is as big as it gets there.  It is a national brand on par with Kansas, Duke, North Carolina. 

The Chevrolet Corvette is the official sports car of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  The Corvette is an iconic part of American history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette

The production plant in Bowling Green employs a lot of people, more people than who are employed by their state school collegiate basketball program (the Coaches, the support staff, the Ushers at Adolph Rupp Arena, and the concession workers at Adolph Rupp Arena).

Also, the economic impact of the Bowling Green Corvette production facility outweighs the economic impact of their state school collegiate basketball program.  All of those production workers buy housing and other goods and services.

Bowling Green Chevrolet Corvette production   >   their state school collegiate basketball program

lutherheggs

Calipari is the Nick Saban of college basketball. Great coach and is THE BEST recruiter in all of college sports. And he is a good guy on top of all of that.

PonderinHog

sickboy

Guys... bad coaching did not lose us that game. We had the right game plan. Barford and Macon were taken out of rhythm in the second by foul trouble. We tried to adjust, but couldn't get our shooters open on the perimeter, so we slashed at the basket, which worked, but we couldn't get multiple shots to fall. Then the momentum just tipped when Kentucky got some calls and that double tech ignited the crowd. Our rotations were as good as can be and we never stopped attacking. We just ran into a more talented team on their home court with home advantage.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 08, 2017, 01:35:26 pm
Hey, Gohogs, check this out!

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=114.0

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=112.0

I only brought it up because of too much worshipping of Monk and too much worshipping of the Wildcats basketball program being promulgated on this board.

Arkansas Razorbacks basketball   >   Monk and the Wildcats basketball program

toxichog

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 08, 2017, 01:35:07 pm
Calipari is the Nick Saban of college basketball. Great coach and is THE BEST recruiter in all of college sports. And he is a good guy on top of all of that.
[/quot

Calipari is a great recruiter.......to compare him to Sabin is ludicrous.  Nick Saban wins multiple Natl. Championships and Calipari has won ONE.......even though he has been favored to win more.  He has ONE ring......

And as for a good guy..........he left UMass for the Nets right before they were nailed by the NCAA, totally wrecking the program.  Then he left Memphis right before the NCAA nailed them for violations....his response to the NCAA both times........" I didn't know nothin about nothin "

I've heard a lot of people say he's a good coach, but I don't think I've ever heard anybody say he's a good guy.