Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

First half -

Tennessee had 37 possessions
12 made field goals (10 2's, 2 3's)
21 missed field goals (14 2's, 7 3's)
13-16 free throws
1.05 points per possession

Arkansas's defense was sabotaged by fouling, especially by bigs.

UT shot 42% on twos, 22% on threes.

Vols rebounded 29% of their 2-pt misses, 29% of their treys. Arkansas was especially good at rebounding with Barford in the game.

Two of the Vols' offensive rebounds were after blocked shots.

Arkansas ended Vol possessions with 2 turnovers and 17 defensive rebounds.

Eight of Arkansas's 10 fouls put the Vols on the line.

Second half -

Tennessee had 38 possessions
14 made field goals (11 2's, 3 3's)
16 missed field goals (10 2's, 6 3's)
10-17 free throws
1.08 points per possession

Even more fouling this time, but Vols shot worse at the line. The poorer FT shooting decided the game. Field goal defense slipped to 52% twos, 33% threes.

Vols rebounded 27% of their 2-pt misses, 50% of their treys.

Two of UT's offensive rebounds were after blocked shots.

Arkansas ended UT possessions with 5 steals, 1 other turnover, and 14 defensive rebounds.

Eight of Arkansas's 14 fouls put the Vols on the line.
[CENSORED]!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 03:11:42 pm

The poorer FT shooting decided the game. Field goal defense slipped to 52% twos, 33% threes.

Seriously?  Even with all our clutch free throws at the end of the game we had the same number of makes as they did and only one less attempt.  Could just as easily say better FT shooting by the Hogs would have put this game away sooner.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dirty

Their missed FTs....how much was from fatigue?

chiefhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 03:11:42 pm
First half -

Tennessee had 37 possessions
12 made field goals (10 2's, 2 3's)
21 missed field goals (14 2's, 7 3's)
13-16 free throws
1.05 points per possession

Arkansas's defense was sabotaged by fouling, especially by bigs.

UT shot 42% on twos, 22% on threes.

Vols rebounded 29% of their 2-pt misses, 29% of their treys. Arkansas was especially good at rebounding with Barford in the game.

Two of the Vols' offensive rebounds were after blocked shots.

Arkansas ended Vol possessions with 2 turnovers and 17 defensive rebounds.

Eight of Arkansas's 10 fouls put the Vols on the line.

Second half -

Tennessee had 38 possessions
14 made field goals (11 2's, 3 3's)
16 missed field goals (10 2's, 6 3's)
10-17 free throws
1.08 points per possession

Even more fouling this time, but Vols shot worse at the line. The poorer FT shooting decided the game. Field goal defense slipped to 52% twos, 33% threes.

Vols rebounded 27% of their 2-pt misses, 50% of their treys.

Two of UT's offensive rebounds were after blocked shots.

Arkansas ended UT possessions with 5 steals, 1 other turnover, and 14 defensive rebounds.

Eight of Arkansas's 14 fouls put the Vols on the line.
Are you Ken Pomeroy in disguise?  ;)

Great work. Thanks

Rawker

Quote from: Dirty on January 05, 2017, 03:25:20 pm
Their missed FTs....how much was from fatigue?
....and how many of theirs were missed from the pressure and fear of knowing that Macon and Hannahs are going to make ALL of theirs.

mhuff

January 05, 2017, 08:01:00 pm #5 Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:42:36 pm by mhuff
BP, nice analysis of game. I was able to watch the comeback before half til the end of game. It is the third game I have been able to watch. CMA games leave me scratching my head most of the time. First, let me congratulate CMA for a good road game victory. They had every opportunity to blow the game. Thomas and Thompson fouled too much but that is to be expected on the road. The Homer refs called every foul they could against us. Minnesota was just as bad. I predicted it before the game. After Arkansas runs , the officials would start calling every touch foul possible to slow down the momentum and allow the home team to catch up on the FT line or go ahead. Now in yesteryear , Nolan would call the officials out and stop some of the homerism. In the past CMA has not done that nor adjusted play to combat this type of thing. Arkansas' best line of defense is what Nolan used to do. He kept up defensive pressure the entire game He had a full complement of players to keep up the extreme pressure the entire game. You can't cower down to the officials and let them take you out of your game plan. Also, in past years CMA would stop trying to get the ball inside and had the wrong personnel on the court. Kingsley ,his freshman and sophomore years should have been on the court with Portis. Last year Thompson should have been on the court with Kingsley.  Neither Kingsley nor Thompson gained any experience riding pine. I know Kingsley is struggling right now. Plus, he was like 3 - 8 on FT's during crunch time. The ball has to go inside no matter what. The money shots in BB are at the rim and 3P shots.

Now we won that game because we played good defense and pushed the pace. " Fastest 40 Minutes " the past few years has been a misnomer. We have been playing like molasses pouring out of a jar. Razorback basketball we all expect is " 40 minutes of hell." That is a big reason why most fans are frustrated. We need to keep the pressure on and run some pressures or traps the correct way.  Also, if you listen to the announcers, they marvel at the fact that Arkansas does not block out or put a body on an opponent while rebounding.Perhaps if CMA delegated some duties to someone on his staff to teach the press and rebounding his team would be better. Each year disgruntled fans expect things to be different ,and they remain the same. I think everyone wants to know why?

I expect some road victories this year. So..... perhaps we turn the corner.  Take it to em Razorbacks.

niels_boar

Lots of fouls called in Knoxville.  Shocking.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 05, 2017, 03:17:57 pm
Seriously?  Even with all our clutch free throws at the end of the game we had the same number of makes as they did and only one less attempt.  Could just as easily say better FT shooting by the Hogs would have put this game away sooner.

Yes. Tennessee made 13-16 in the first half, 10-17 in the second. Is that hard to understand?

Same players were shooting. If the Vols had made four more free throws (which would have put them at the same accuracy as the first half), the game would have finished much differently.

Chaos theory and all, though - you don't know what really would change if you tweaked the sequence of events. What did happen was Arkansas's defense let up down the stretch.

Tennessee's last possessions:

Layup by Parker (2:42)
Mostella fouled by Watkins, 2-2 FT (2:08)
Dunk by Hubbs off quick outlet from Williams and pass from Bone (1:50)
Layup by Bone (1:12)
Jump shot by Mostella (0:25)
Missed layup by Mostella, rebounded by Macon (0:11)
Trey by Mostella (0:02)

The Vols fouled on Arkansas's last six possessions, as the scoring margin vacillated between 1-5 points. Do you think it would have been different, had UT previous put up four more points from FTs?

At 5:28, Mostella went 0-2 at the line. At 3:58, Williams went 0-2. Those two complete whiffs changed the game.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

When Arkansas had a 7-pt lead with 3:10 left, the lineup was

Kingsley | Watkins | Beard | Hannahs | Macon

The substitutions were:

2:08 Barford for Beard (71-68)
1:11 Beard for Watkins (73-72)
0:54 Watkins for Hannahs (75-72)
0:25 Hannahs for Watkins (76-75)
0:18 Watkins for Hannahs (78-75)
0:04 Cook for Beard (80-75)
[CENSORED]!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 09:18:10 am
Yes. Tennessee made 13-16 in the first half, 10-17 in the second. Is that hard to understand?

If the Vols had made four more free throws (which would have put them at the same accuracy as the first half), the game would have finished much differently.

If you balance the equation by adding four more points to the Hogs total as well, you end up with the same outcome. Just a little something I learned when I wasn't asleep in algebra class.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 06, 2017, 10:42:50 am
If you balance the equation by adding four more points to the Hogs total as well, you end up with the same outcome. Just a little something I learned when I wasn't asleep in algebra class.

Another way to look at it is that Tennessee overachieved at the line in the first half + it all balanced out.

Whatever - the two 0-2's they had proved to be the difference BECAUSE our defense fell down in the last few minutes.
[CENSORED]!

cityhog

Quote from: niels_boar on January 05, 2017, 10:23:58 pm
Lots of fouls called in Knoxville.  Shocking.

Officiating across the board in NCAA Bball has made it almost unwatchable. It's a freaking free throw shooting contest these days. No flow to the games at all. Refs are the stars now days.

hogsanity

Quote from: cityhog on January 06, 2017, 12:47:32 pm
Officiating across the board in NCAA Bball has made it almost unwatchable. It's a freaking free throw shooting contest these days. No flow to the games at all. Refs are the stars now days.

maybe players should finally figure out they cant slap grab hack and push so much?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

southarkhog06

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2017, 01:01:14 pm
maybe players should finally figure out they cant slap grab hack and push so much?
exactly, do people think it would improve the flow of the game to allow elbow slapping and jersey tugging?

Biggus Piggus

Not calling 50+ fouls per game would most certainly improve the flow of the game.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 01:50:23 pm
Not calling 50+ fouls per game would most certainly improve the flow of the game.

Are they making them up? I actually see several per game that are not called that could be, so it could be worse.

Not that it is anywhere near the same level, but I called 3 games this week, 2 were foul fests  because both teams played defense with their hands, the other was a really clean game yet both teams pressed and played man to man the entire game, but they played with their feet and did very little reaching. No one reached the bonus until under 2 minutes in the 4th Q.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mhuff

Quote from: cityhog on January 06, 2017, 12:47:32 pm

Couldn't have said it better. Instant replays are needed in that sport for a longer period of time if poor officiating is to be curbed.

Biggus Piggus

Hand-checking being regarded as a foul is big freaking snatch basketball.
[CENSORED]!

niels_boar

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2017, 01:01:14 pm

Some of the fouls called on us in the second half were more phantom than hacks.  At one point second-half fouls were 12-5, and it was clear that Kingsley was not getting the same calls that some Vols were.  Also, the officiating has a maddening tendency to get a lot more ticky-tack in the second halves.  How can the players adjust if what wasn't a foul in the first half suddenly is a foul in the second half?

niels_boar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 09:25:02 am
When Arkansas had a 7-pt lead with 3:10 left, the lineup was

Kingsley | Watkins | Beard | Hannahs | Macon

The substitutions were:

2:08 Barford for Beard (71-68)
1:11 Beard for Watkins (73-72)
0:54 Watkins for Hannahs (75-72)
0:25 Hannahs for Watkins (76-75)
0:18 Watkins for Hannahs (78-75)
0:04 Cook for Beard (80-75)

I didn't understand taking Beard out when we were trying to preserve the lead.  He's our most reliable ballhandler.  Maybe it was injury motivated.

FineAsSwine

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: niels_boar on January 06, 2017, 04:28:39 pm
Some of the fouls called on us in the second half were more phantom than hacks.  At one point second-half fouls were 12-5, and it was clear that Kingsley was not getting the same calls that some Vols were.  Also, the officiating has a maddening tendency to get a lot more ticky-tack in the second halves.  How can the players adjust if what wasn't a foul in the first half suddenly is a foul in the second half?
Its like you put my thoughts in your post. Its happens at every level of basketball. A mauling during a layup gets called on one end and not the other. Hand check for one team and not the other. If we're going to blow the whistles all game can we at least even the calls out and not change what gets called between halves?
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

root_hawg

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: root_hawg on January 06, 2017, 09:32:47 pm
tenn is like 8-6 right?

The lowest-rated team that beat them is 64th in the country. Tough schedule.
[CENSORED]!

root_hawg