Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early Legend Verne Gagne Dead at 89

Started by DeltaBoy, April 28, 2015, 10:27:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/state-and-regional/mn/wrestling-legend-verne-gagne-dies-at-age/article_e6e6029c-8dd5-5f21-92e1-72de75ec3b55.html

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — One of professional wrestling's most celebrated performers and promoters, Verne Gagne, has died at age 89.

Gene Okerlund, who was inducted into the World Wrestling Entertainment Hall of Fame with Gagne in 2006, says his longtime friend died Monday in Minnesota.

WWE says Gagne turned professional in 1950 and won several regional championships before heading to the newly formed American Wrestling Association in 1960.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

husker71

My early favorite.  One night my dad told all the wrestlers they could come out to our steak house in Nebraska and have steaks on the house after their show in our town.  Several showed up and of course we got to meet them.  I was little but remember Ernie Dusek and Verne and Reggie Parks.  They were so nice and I got to take pictures the next week to show and tell.  Verne was a great athlete and participated in Olympic wrestling and played for the Green Bay Packers.  The end of the AWA was sad and then in the old persons home he killed another old guy( supposedly in a sleeper hold) .  I bet I have seen 200 or so of his matches on tv (Monday night in Omaha) and maybe 40 in person.  His style was simple and effective.  He and Danny Hodge are in my top 5 as far as wrestlers I grew up with.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

A great american.  Along with danny hodge he set the standard for old school bullies that would come along years later.