Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville's Gulley offered scholarship

Started by zebra, April 27, 2007, 09:37:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BadHog

Good to know that Pelphrey is already looking into the long-term for the Hogs.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Hogtropolis™

Good to hear that we are going after the top talent in Arkansas.  Let's hope Gulley turns out to be great.

Anybody know what recruiting class Ronnie Brewer's cousin will be in (I think he was in the 9th grade last year)?  I heard he is just as good if not better than Ronnie was.

SardisHog

What the +++++++++++? Offer a schollie to a 10th grader? Tell him your interested but don't offer!! He has two more years of high school developement yet.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

razorbear

Recruiting is getting that competitive now that you have to offer early to get in ahead of the crowd.  The days of waiting to offer until a senior season for a top notch player are over and that is probably not the best thing, but it is what it is.
Brutha, you got to get real!

Juboar

Fred has been on everyones list of up and comers since 7th grade AAU ball.

He will be a great fit and you will not be disappointed when he puts on a Razorback uniform in a couple of years.

MF

"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Juboar

I think about 6'2" + at present but he seems to still be growing.  Big feet- long arms etc..

He played every position this year at FHS as a Soph.  He can run, jump, cut, create his own shot and handle the ball.

He will probably wind up a point or #2 guard -  in two years maybe a small forward. 

Pignominious

good that we already got on this kid.  This is the kinda thing that builds programs.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

zebra

I think he is a true point guard, at the college level.

FootballFanatic

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 27, 2007, 09:56:56 am
Good to hear that we are going after the top talent in Arkansas.  Let's hope Gulley turns out to be great.

Anybody know what recruiting class Ronnie Brewer's cousin will be in (I think he was in the 9th grade last year)?  I heard he is just as good if not better than Ronnie was.
Gulley is Ronnie's cousin. He is who you are thinking about.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: FootballFanatic on April 27, 2007, 11:34:19 am
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 27, 2007, 09:56:56 am

Gulley is Ronnie's cousin. He is who you are thinking about.
Thanks, I was wondering that when I read this, but I wasn't sure.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: BigSqueal on April 27, 2007, 09:52:57 am
Good to know that Pelphrey is already looking into the long-term for the Hogs.

He now needs to stop by LR Hall and offer AJ Walton. 

jhudson84

Aj is going to be a great player as well

hogsmaster

Quote from: SardisHog on April 27, 2007, 09:57:25 am
What the +++++++++++? Offer a schollie to a 10th grader? Tell him your interested but don't offer!! He has two more years of high school developement yet.

Are you serious?  If a player is good enough, go ahead and offer the guy even if he is a sophmore.  He averaged 15 ppg as a sophmore.  The number will only get higher as he gets more experience and strength.  I am sure Coach Pel knows what he is doing.

jhudson84

Many players are offered by major schools before they ever play a hs game, its how its done nowadays

BallHog1

I'm guessing if he didn't offer early, someone would complain....in fact if the coach handed out gold bricks to every fan that walked into the gym, someone would complain that they wanted their gold in coins.  Let the coach coach.

moses_007

I didn't think he could be offered until he's a senior.  Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong. :razorback:

MikeCapshaw

A "verbal" scholarship offer can come any time although a student-athlete is not considered a prospect by the NCAA until they are a junior. That's when all the rules kick in for visits, phone calls, etc.

But you are right. A "written" scholarship offer is for seniors only. By that, I mean the actual National Letter Of Intent that a kid signs during the signing period.

3pigsinafountain

don't know him, except he is the FHS player Stan Heath offered back when he was 11.  You can google that article.

BigDave70

I hope hes good but if pelphrey offers you a scholarship then you must know how to play good defensive ball
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

hawgfan80

Fred is a good player. He's quick, good ball handler, tough. He's not tall, though, and not a particularly great shooter. But, he's also just going to be a junior in high school so a lot of time for improvement.

slopinhogs

what you mean we are offering Jr's scholarships without seeing them plat or waiting till they caom to camp

gooooooleeee
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hawgfan80

Quote from: slopinhogs on April 27, 2007, 05:50:25 pm
what you mean we are offering Jr's scholarships without seeing them plat or waiting till they caom to camp

gooooooleeee

I never said that. Pelphrey has seen him play. And, I'm sure they've watched plenty of video of him, too.

Bomis Hawg

Some have said that Gulley is as talented if not more so than Ronnie Brewer.

bd93

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on April 27, 2007, 06:12:59 pm

I've heard this too.

SardisHog

I believe a man's word is everything. If you offer as a 10th grader then when he is ready for college you should honor that. In my opinion you never know how a sophomore is going to develop. You can always let him know Arkansas is interested but I say don't offer. I imagine that my opinion is probably old fashion but so be it. BTW I believe 40 minutes of Pel will be great.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

hawgfan80

Quote from: bd93 on April 27, 2007, 06:30:22 pm
Quote from: Bomis Hawg on April 27, 2007, 06:12:59 pm

I've heard this too.

He's very talented. I would say he's farther along than Ronnie was at this point. But, he doesn't have the size Ronnie had.

HogMavFan

Gulley is for 2008, right? Are we on anyone that can play this fall?

hawgfan80

Quote from: HogMavFan on April 28, 2007, 12:28:41 am
Gulley is for 2008, right? Are we on anyone that can play this fall?

Gulley's freshman year in college would be fall of 2009.

HawgG

Coach Pelphrey is offering a lot of guys of late.

The info can be found on the recruiting forum.

Razors84

Quote from: HawgG on April 28, 2007, 10:44:31 pm
Coach Pelphrey is offering a lot of guys of late.

The info can be found on the recruiting forum.
Thanks for that - There are so many forums it just m... nevermind. ;)

slopinhogs

i wasn't a ronni=e Brewer fan he just didn't shoot well enough for his headlines. i think thew kid was a good basket ball player and played sound defence but he was not the shooter we needed.for this kid to be better than Ronnie was if he can shoot and makemhis own shot as has been said then he would be better than Ronnie in my book. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Loafbone

My name is Olster. Seriously. My parents named me Olster. I hate them.

arkjay19

yay, already a Pelphrey-hater.  gotta love this rabid fan base.

SardisHog

Quote from: arkhog9 on May 09, 2007, 06:02:31 pm

yay, already a Pelphrey-hater.  gotta love this rabid fan base.

Obviously you have not read all the posts in this thread. I have not seen him coach one game but am looking forward to it. Just don't think it is right to offer a 10th grader.