Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morris and staff did a really good job

Started by billmontgomery10, February 07, 2018, 01:19:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jabberjawls

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 07, 2018, 05:07:35 pm
No, unlike YOU I will wait to make my final decision as to the ultimate wisdom as to whether the hiring of CCM and his staff will prove to be a success or not. However, I will base it on his actual record as a HC on the Hill, not on his record after a couple years at SMU, as a high school coach or even as his record as OC at Clemson. While those may or may not give some solid clue(s) as to whether or not he will/won't get the job done as our HC, at least I will have something tangle AT ARKANSAS to render a firm decision. And that DOES take some brains; it's also called PROOF.
And that is certainly your prerogative.  If you look at my post history, you will find that i am not "constant(ly) bitching and moaning".  In fact, i rarely post because it doesn't really make any difference anyway.  I have, though, reached an age in my life where i get tired of being force-fed crap and then told that it is chocolate pie. Good luck to CCM, you won't hear much from me, but in the end the result will be the same whether i say anything or not.

Bubba's Bruisers

Extrapolate out, and this class appears to be consistent with previous classes over the last couple decades.  I'll take it considering the situation. 

Now on to 2019 where there's a real chance to make a measurable recruiting improvement.  Glad BB is gone.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: go hogues on February 07, 2018, 01:22:11 pm
I agree. But keep this thread handy when people are crying next year and can't understand why we're 4-8.

With new coaches anything can happen. No reason to cry if bad. It's only one year.

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

STLhawg

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 07, 2018, 03:26:19 pm
I could be reading things wrong, and probably am, but it sure seems like there are some people on here who want Morris to fail.
I'm sure there are a few that do, but I think many of the negative commnets are just from folks who are tired of Arkansas being so down.  If people had done a little research and/or stopped to think about it, they would have not expected much out of the 2018 class (ranking wise at least).  Morris didn't have a lot of time to pull it together, and we didn't have many offers to give.  All that said, I think we signed some talented players that will contribute. 

I am surprised by one thing; the number of defensive players taken -- with Morris being an offensive minded coach I expected the class to be more offensive weighted (a la Petrino).  I hope that means that Morris thinks we already have a good set of players on that side of the ball (that they just weren't being utilized properly) and therefore he is giving plenty of attention to the defense. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 07, 2018, 05:16:08 pm
And that is certainly your prerogative.  If you look at my post history, you will find that i am not "constant(ly) bitching and moaning".  In fact, i rarely post because it doesn't really make any difference anyway.  I have, though, reached an age in my life where i get tired of being force-fed crap and then told that it is chocolate pie. Good luck to CCM, you won't hear much from me, but in the end the result will be the same whether i say anything or not.
Well I will agree with you on one thing: The end result will be the same, no matter what either one of us say. And as far as my being "force-feed" anything that's total crap. I'm not buying into either side as yet. However, as I've said previously, I will wait until the FACTS dictate whether or not this was a good or unwise hire. And THAT will only be seen once he's actually coached and recruited through several years. However, I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as this point.

STLhawg

Quote from: ishankem on February 07, 2018, 04:18:06 pm
I'm not going to give up hope since he had such short time to recruit, but Miss state and Tennessee  had new coaches and signed around 16 or 17 and their classes are ranked tons better than ours.
MSU (who signed 23) was 9-4 last season, and TN (who signed 22) was 9-4 the prior season.  When haven't had a 9+ win season since Petrino (2011 IIRC).  That said, if we take the risk on Emmit Gooden then he signs with us instead of TN (and no doubt he would have) I bet our average star (per recruit) would be about equal or maybe even better than TN.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: go hogues on February 07, 2018, 01:22:11 pm
I agree. But keep this thread handy when people are crying next year and can't understand why we're 4-8.

Get a clue! Whether this is a good or bad class won't be known for at least 2 years. If we were depending on this class or any freshman class for that matter to propel us without the upper classes being the heart of the team we would sure enough be in trouble.

The players who were already here will mostly determine how many wins come in 2018.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Swestwill66

At least a lot of the players we got were wanted by other major programs. It seems like,in the past, the guys we would get had offers from the McNeese St. or southwest Louisiana's of college football.

STLhawg

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 07, 2018, 04:31:38 pm
It's not that we want him to fail, it's that many of us were very skeptical with the hire in the first place.  His credentials did NOT scream, or even whisper, home run hire. 
So who is the home-run hire (who would have actually taken the job) that we should have made?

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 07, 2018, 04:31:38 pmWell, so far we are seeing exactly what many of us forecasted.  But go ahead and spin away if that makes you feel better.
So are you saying we should go ahead and fire him now or are you advocating just shutting down the Razorback football program?  :puke:  Geez, talking about spinning narratives.  You have very, very little to even judge the man on, yet you act as if you know exactly what is going to happen.  Maybe you should focus that ability on buying lottery tickets (or even stocks) rather than the head coach at Arkansas.  Truth be told, you come off as a cynical "told you so" blow hard.  I am NOT saying CM is the answer for the Razorbacks, but at this point NO ONE really knows!

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 07, 2018, 03:00:28 pm
I'm confused you say he did a really good job but don't judge him on this class.

I'd say he did an ok job.  There's no question the deck was stacked against him and he signed some solid players, but to say he did a really good job is just spin.  I do agree that next years class will be a much fairer indication of his recruiting abilities.

You don't know that it's spin at this point and the rest of us don't know that it's not. What we DO know is:

a very fast CB with a cousin and former teammate already on the team was headed to one of our SEC West competitors, LaDarrius Bishop.

A freakishly athletic 300+ D Lineman was probably going to 'Bama, or somewhere else with no UA offer, BJ Ferrell.

Myles Mason? I never heard his name once before this staff got here. Same for Foucha. Alexander? Anyone who thinks this kid can't play hasn't watched his tape. Never heard his name once until this staff got here.

The evaluations of this staff were being questioned with the offers to LBs Moody and Parker when their offer lists consisted of ECU, Georgetown and McNeese State, etc.

After we offered those two and their lists blew up with other SEC offers and Texas and TCU, all of a sudden, it's "he gone." From many of the same posters who asked what we were doing offering them in the first place..

No coach we could have hired could have raised this class above the 40s IMO with the low number of slots available and the first ever early signing day. Well, Saban or Smart maybe, but is it realistic to think they would have bailed on teams that just played in the NCG?

To some Hogvillians maybe, but for the sane among us, this is a good group combined with holding onto Noland, Pool, Gatlin and Nichols who were already committed.

One poster said Fulwider decommitted before, but that was not the case. He was recruited before, but was never committed until the Morris era began.

An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

farmhawg

Quote from: trash stache on February 07, 2018, 03:58:14 pm
Didn't say it was his fault.  How many years have we recruited at the bottom of the SEC now?  10? 15? 20?  Been a razorback fan since I was a kid, but man, knowing you are going to be the door mat year in and year out is getting old.  Then every year, like clockwork, the Dem Gaz and whatever sports blog (Rivals whoever) pump us up to sell tickets.  We are not good.  We haven't been good in over 5 years.  With this recruiting class, we are now another 2-3 years behind in recruiting.  Arkansas is in a deep hole.  Where is that foundation BB was building?  Oh wait, we are in the Morris fast lane now.  No one good wants to come here.   
Must suck to be you....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: trash stache on February 07, 2018, 03:19:50 pm
He did what he could do, but at the end of the day we are either in last place or in the bottom 1/4 of the SEC (again).  Hog football is in a really bad place right now.

Some of you people are so thick!  Please educate yourselves on how the ranking is determined and then comment.  Otherwise, don't chime in.

Hogindasticks

Where are the brains of these people?  Dude chimed in on Bo's show a bit ago...doing the same thing.  I have never seen so many people that want to be losers in my life.

Poker_hog

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 07, 2018, 06:09:27 pm
You don't know that it's spin at this point and the rest of us don't know that it's not. What we DO know is:

a very fast CB with a cousin and former teammate already on the team was headed to one of our SEC West competitors, LaDarrius Bishop.

A freakishly athletic 300+ D Lineman was probably going to 'Bama, or somewhere else with no UA offer, BJ Ferrell.

Myles Mason? I never heard his name once before this staff got here. Same for Foucha. Alexander? Anyone who thinks this kid can't play hasn't watched his tape. Never heard his name once until this staff got here.

The evaluations of this staff were being questioned with the offers to LBs Moody and Parker when their offer lists consisted of ECU, Georgetown and McNeese State, etc.

After we offered those two and their lists blew up with other SEC offers and Texas and TCU, all of a sudden, it's "he gone." From many of the same posters who asked what we were doing offering them in the first place..

No coach we could have hired could have raised this class above the 40s IMO with the low number of slots available and the first ever early signing day. Well, Saban or Smart maybe, but is it realistic to think they would have bailed on teams that just played in the NCG?

To some Hogvillians maybe, but for the sane among us, this is a good group combined with holding onto Noland, Pool, Gatlin and Nichols who were already committed.

One poster said Fulwider decommitted before, but that was not the case. He was recruited before, but was never committed until the Morris era began.

I hope you're not a rankings don't matter guy.  I'm not interested in having that debate.  I've already said I thought he did an ok job and I'm glad he flipped a couple of instate studs, but if you want to see what "really good" recruiting looks like look at how A&M and tenner recruited after coaching changes. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

FATHAWG08

Didn't say it was his fault.  How many years have we recruited at the bottom of the SEC now?  10? 15? 20?  Been a razorback fan since I was a kid, but man, knowing you are going to be the door mat year in and year out is getting old.  Then every year, like clockwork, the Dem Gaz and whatever sports blog (Rivals whoever) pump us up to sell tickets.  We are not good.  We haven't been good in over 5 years.  With this recruiting class, we are now another 2-3 years behind in recruiting.  Arkansas is in a deep hole.  Where is that foundation BB was building?  Oh wait, we are in the Morris fast lane now.  No one good wants to come here.   
We? But for some reason you remain a Hog Fan..If it makes you feel this bad why put yourself through the misery?
I love off season Football!!

Flrazrback

Saw where someone actually did the math. With out small class signing, all things adjusted... We were 40th in the Nation and 11th in SEC... Given the very short time the Coaching staff had to recruit.. Very pleased. 

MuskogeeHogFan

On the heels of a failed season, a complete change in coaching staff, a complete change in scheme and philosophy, with many fewer than the normal amount of available slots to fill, I'm not sure what some of you expected?

And keep in mind that in terms of recruiting rankings, you are penalized from a ranking standpoint if you sign fewer than many other teams. And that ranking isn't necessarily an indicator of the true quality of the individuals signed in a class, which no one will know for certain for another 2-3 years.

First year out of the chute with an early signing period (who else has had that disadvantage in a case like this?) and we want to gripe about who we signed? The odds were stacked against this staff from the beginning. Don't worry about this class. Worry if you will, about classes that come after this recruiting class when this staff has had the same chance as every other coaching staff.
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

When does the helicopter come into play?

WBOBO

I know everyone is trying to not pass judgment on this class, but really considering the circumstances I'm pretty pumped about the players Coach
Morris and staff signed.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

AugustaHog

For the folks gnashing their teeth over this class, what did you expect him to do given the circumstances?  He maintained and signed most of the kids left over from the previous staff.  Their recruiting footprints hardly overlapped as they recruited different kinds of players and in different areas for the most part.  Coming in 3 weeks before the first signing day, he basically had to target mostly players that Chavis was in on or that he had recruited at SMU.  If we have a similar class after selling the Hogs for a year +, I will understand the frustration.  Most kids had decided on a home early and there was very little opportunity to change that this year.  I expect better in the coming years, but he added some quality in Winkel, Foucha, and Parker late.

Dan42AR

hawg1221

Quote from: STLhawg on February 07, 2018, 05:21:49 pm
I'm sure there are a few that do, but I think many of the negative commnets are just from folks who are tired of Arkansas being so down.  If people had done a little research and/or stopped to think about it, they would have not expected much out of the 2018 class (ranking wise at least).  Morris didn't have a lot of time to pull it together, and we didn't have many offers to give.  All that said, I think we signed some talented players that will contribute. 

I am surprised by one thing; the number of defensive players taken -- with Morris being an offensive minded coach I expected the class to be more offensive weighted (a la Petrino).  I hope that means that Morris thinks we already have a good set of players on that side of the ball (that they just weren't being utilized properly) and therefore he is giving plenty of attention to the defense.

I completely agree with this statement. Pretty much what I'm thinking.

TheRazorback500

I'm good with how well CCM and the staff did, despite the late start and having to adapt their recruiting focus and tactics because of the early signing period. We addressed some needs. Now I want to see how the players we have here now are going to look in the spring.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 07, 2018, 08:19:00 pm
On the heels of a failed season, a complete change in coaching staff, a complete change in scheme and philosophy, with many fewer than the normal amount of available slots to fill, I'm not sure what some of you expected?

And keep in mind that in terms of recruiting rankings, you are penalized from a ranking standpoint if you sign fewer than many other teams. And that ranking isn't necessarily an indicator of the true quality of the individuals signed in a class, which no one will know for certain for another 2-3 years.

First year out of the chute with an early signing period (who else has had that disadvantage in a case like this?) and we want to gripe about who we signed? The odds were stacked against this staff from the beginning. Don't worry about this class. Worry if you will, about classes that come after this recruiting class when this staff has had the same chance as every other coaching staff.
I usually agree with you on most things but there were several schools in identical circumstances that beat us soundly in recruiting, taking everything into account this is about the 35th best class in the country and 13th in the SEC. The people who were "ecstatic " with the hire acted as if he was a recruiting genius, well he hasn't shown it yet. I would give him a big solid C nothing more or less. Let's hope he wows us on the field. As I mentioned in another thread we were right here in rankings around November 1 with 11 commits. We didn't seem to get any something "new" bounce. They did good, still skeptical though, I have thought all along that a Kiffin or Norvell would have generated a lot more buzz, that could have landed some higher rated recruits.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on February 07, 2018, 09:39:35 pm
I'm good with how well CCM and the staff did, despite the late start and having to adapt their recruiting focus and tactics because of the early signing period. We addressed some needs. Now I want to see how the players we have here now are going to look in the spring.

From what I am seeing on the clips on twitter, they are doing a ton of agility/running which I think will benefit us tremendously in CMM's offense.

Inhogswetrust

Your new Delta Tau name is Debbie Downer.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

opineonswine

Sports (Razorback sports) is not life and death...it's a game.  I hate losing probably more than most.  But for your health, it's better to pump sunshine and be optimistic than to constantly bemoan our lot in life and dwell in the pit of pessimism....jmo.

This is a very good start for a new regime with little time to close.  They absolutely worked harder than any new staff I can remember.  Next data points are off-season conditioning, then spring practice and then live action.  It would appear we have definitely "traded up" with this staff.  I'm optimistic we will see improvement on the field.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 07, 2018, 10:10:06 pm
I usually agree with you on most things but there were several schools in identical circumstances that beat us soundly in recruiting, taking everything into account this is about the 35th best class in the country and 13th in the SEC. The people who were "ecstatic " with the hire acted as if he was a recruiting genius, well he hasn't shown it yet. I would give him a big solid C nothing more or less. Let's hope he wows us on the field. As I mentioned in another thread we were right here in rankings around November 1 with 11 commits. We didn't seem to get any something "new" bounce. They did good, still skeptical though, I have thought all along that a Kiffin or Norvell would have generated a lot more buzz, that could have landed some higher rated recruits.

I agree that in truth, going by the quality of players signed, this class really should rank around #35 (if we weren't penalized for signing so few). If you simplify this whole rating thing and just award 1 point for however many stars a player is awarded and add those up by class, nothing much changes in totaling points for the more prominent football schools. What you do find however is that they quality of who we signed, ties us for 10th in the SEC and 6th in the West at an average of 3.13 pts per player. Not great, not what we want, but given the change it could have been worse.

Contrast that to Bielema's first class and a re-evaluation of that 2013 class after players being lost to injury, never developing or transferring.

They signed 25 in that 2013 class (#23 nationally) which would have given that class (using the methodology that I suggested above) an average star rating of 3.04. Eight players were lost/never developed/transferred along the way from that class. Remove them from the calculation and the rating remains in that 3.04 area, but that is an attrition rate of about 32% from that class.

In 2014 we signed 25 and ranked #29 that produced a player average of 3.12. We lost 10 from that class for an attrition rate of 40%.

In 2015 we signed 25 again and that class ranked #22 with a player average of 3.28. So far, we have lost 4 from that class for a better attrition rate of just 16%.

We will see how this current class works out but given so few scholarships to work with a shorter time to recruit, it looks like this staff has done about as well as they could.
Go Hogs Go!

blu

Happy that we closed well by keeping Parker and getting Foucha.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

East TN HAWG

I'm neither excited nor discouraged about this class.  I would have liked to see CCM flip one or two marquee players such as Bush or Goodrich that would immediately make a difference.  Time will tell us if Myles Mason is that player.

This is where I thought we would be.  I have much higher expectations next year.  Again, our class will not be very large 22ish, but the overall quality should improve.  Heck, our instate class will be vastly improved. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogginUp

Quote from: blu on February 08, 2018, 08:13:56 am
Happy that we closed well by keeping Parker and getting Foucha.
Agreed. Courtre Alexander was a big GET as well.

The Boar War

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 07, 2018, 04:31:38 pm
It's not that we want him to fail, it's that many of us were very skeptical with the hire in the first place.  His credentials did NOT scream, or even whisper, home run hire.  We were skeptical of his recruiting even though the spin doctors kept saying how great he would be and not to judge what he will do at UA by what he did at SMU.  Well, so far we are seeing exactly what many of us forecasted.  But go ahead and spin away if that makes you feel better.

Agreed.

wildhogman

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 07, 2018, 07:02:58 pm
I hope you're not a rankings don't matter guy.  I'm not interested in having that debate.  I've already said I thought he did an ok job and I'm glad he flipped a couple of instate studs, but if you want to see what "really good" recruiting looks like look at how A&M and tenner recruited after coaching changes. 
Here is a unique idea. GO be tenner and aggie fans. You'll fit right in.

Calling All Hogs

Even if we took a one year hit is recruiting, it is well worth it to be rid of Bielema and Long. I am excited about our new coaching staff and AD and the new foundation that has been laid for the program. Morris did well this year for what he had to work with.

ishankem

Just don't miss on Burks next year!  If we lose out on him, fans will be irate, and rightfully so

redneckfriend

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 07, 2018, 08:48:39 pm
For the folks gnashing their teeth over this class, what did you expect him to do given the circumstances?  He maintained and signed most of the kids left over from the previous staff.  Their recruiting footprints hardly overlapped as they recruited different kinds of players and in different areas for the most part.  Coming in 3 weeks before the first signing day, he basically had to target mostly players that Chavis was in on or that he had recruited at SMU.  If we have a similar class after selling the Hogs for a year +, I will understand the frustration.  Most kids had decided on a home early and there was very little opportunity to change that this year.  I expect better in the coming years, but he added some quality in Winkel, Foucha, and Parker late.

I'm not "gnashing my teeth" and this class is about on par with those we've signed in the recent past as far as recruit rankings go but I think folks are tired of being an SEC west doormat. When they see new head coaches (including at Miss. St. when they signed three 4* wide receivers- one out-of-state) do considerably better they wonder where it is leading. Are we heading down the same road talent wise we have been down for the last many years? Will there be a big up tick next year? Will Morris be able to translate this level of talent, even if we don't recruit at a higher level next year, into real SEC success? Those are open questions and, given recent history, the answer is a little cloudy. The optimistic response is that Morris is a better coach than we have had recently, perhaps both as a developer and recruiter, but given his meager track record that has to be taken with more than a pinch of faith.

hoghearted

Quote from: STLhawg on February 07, 2018, 05:33:21 pm
MSU (who signed 23) was 9-4 last season, and TN (who signed 22) was 9-4 the prior season.  When haven't had a 9+ win season since Petrino (2011 IIRC).  That said, if we take the risk on Emmit Gooden then he signs with us instead of TN (and no doubt he would have) I bet our average star (per recruit) would be about equal or maybe even better than TN.

Thank you. A voice of reason.

Recruits may perceive Arkansas has a bigger hole to climb out of than Tenner or MS state, based on our recent records. Considering the limited time CCM and staff have had, coupled with the limited numbers, I think they did a stellar job.

CCM wasn't my preferred choice, but I think he's a good fit for the program. I'm willing to give him a few years to prove his worth before I start moaning and groaning.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hogindasticks

I think the proof is in the pudding.....once recruits see them play this year, it will open recruiting up much better.  I feel that if they do well, recruiting will be wide open for 2019.

hogcards

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on February 08, 2018, 10:33:10 am
Even if we took a one year hit is recruiting, it is well worth it to be rid of Bielema and Long. I am excited about our new coaching staff and AD and the new foundation that has been laid for the program. Morris did well this year for what he had to work with.

+1000

I agree with this.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

pghawg1

Morris doesn't worry about how many stars a player has beside his name. We have had 2 other very successful coaches say the SAMETHING  one of them won a NATIONALCHAMPIONSHIP in basketball and the other one was 29-10 his last 3 years on the hill, in football.

Grizzlyfan

You will never be able to judge the future success of the Razorback football team based on the current year recruiting ranking.  The best guess for Arkansas football success will be the # of 4th and 5th year players in the two deep.  Especially on the lines and at QB.  Assuming of course these 4th and 5th year players have been well coached and have developed properly.  Obviously we will occasionally run across a D-Mac or Matt Jones type talent in state that will be a difference maker early.  But we can't bank on that.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 08, 2018, 01:13:20 pm
I'm not "gnashing my teeth" and this class is about on par with those we've signed in the recent past as far as recruit rankings go but I think folks are tired of being an SEC west doormat. When they see new head coaches (including at Miss. St. when they signed three 4* wide receivers- one out-of-state) do considerably better they wonder where it is leading. Are we heading down the same road talent wise we have been down for the last many years? Will there be a big up tick next year? Will Morris be able to translate this level of talent, even if we don't recruit at a higher level next year, into real SEC success? Those are open questions and, given recent history, the answer is a little cloudy. The optimistic response is that Morris is a better coach than we have had recently, perhaps both as a developer and recruiter, but given his meager track record that has to be taken with more than a pinch of faith.
This is a great post and sums up how I feel.  I'm still cautiously optimistic, I wasnt big on the HC hire but the more I see the more I like.  I want to be in his corner and he'll have my full support when the season starts.  On the otherhand, Im objective, I get the tough circumstances, odd ranking services, but honestly I still hate the fact that we are not only last in the west but last overall.  Just being honest.

redeye

The one thing that concerns me is all the recruits we lost, but then we don't know if Morris wanted them or if they wanted to play in his offense.  We also don't know how our weak season affected their decision.

With the exception of Tennessee, Arkansas is in a deeper hole than other SEC teams with a new coach.  And Bielema almost had his class finished, so Morris didn't have many open doors when he arrived.  Coming from SMU probably didn't help either, since he was likely recruiting a different level of player there.

Overall, I'm excited by what I'm seeing from our new coaches, but only time can tell how well they'll do here.  Regardless of what happens, I think it's important to remember that we play in the best division in college football and I even think it's undervalued some.  I honestly believe there are seasons when the worst SEC-W team would have won a weaker P5 division, but that doesn't help us any.  If we want to play in the SEC, then we have to accept that anything less than "very good" will likely result in finishing near the bottom.

Hogindasticks

AugustaHog

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 08, 2018, 01:13:20 pm
I totally get where you are coming from.  I think we're going to need a lot more studs in future classes to get where we want to go.  My comment was mostly aimed at the fact that this was pretty much the finish that we expected even before CBB was fired.  This was not a shock.  I'm glad we got kids like Boyd, Foucha, Parker, Winkel, etc.  These were all good late additions and saved the class from being dismal.  If we add Gerald, this class has serious potential, especially defensively.  I think the jury is still out on CCM as a recruiter and coach.  He definitely works hard so it will be interesting to see if that hard work bears fruit in the future.

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

I like our new coach & am excited about our potential. Guess since he got a late start, we won't know his full recruiting potential until at least next year or maybe even later on down the road.

Just a little surprised with his Texas roots, that we only signed 4 kids from the state of Texas. Again, we'll see how the Texas recruiting goes next year.

With the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex & Houston area being the 4th & 5th biggest population centers in the country, there should be some great kids just waiting to be hogs whether they know it or not, lol.

Of course, glad we were able to get into other states & get some of their kids.

Go Hogs Go!!!

redeye

Quote from: 1dayinthelifeofporkiepig on February 08, 2018, 10:55:52 pm

Of course, glad we were able to get into other states & get some of their kids.

Go Hogs Go!!!

I'm sort of relieved that we signed 2? out of Louisiana.

redeye

kennypig

I also agree. I think under the circumstances the coaches did a great job. It sounds like the worked really hard to make up for the late start for a almost completely new staff. I am really pulling for the "16" to do well, both on and off the field. The 2019 signing class is going to be great. Go Hogs.