Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm tired of this "can't win on the road" mantra from announcers.

Started by HamIAm, December 30, 2017, 06:55:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamIAm

Watching Bama vs A&M, Bama up big.

The announcers say, "Arkansas is good enough to put some pressure on the top teams in the conference, if they can just learn how to play on the road like they do at Bud Walton."

News flash - everyone plays better at home
News flash #2 - Arkansas was 6-3 on the road in conference last year.

Once they hear an analysis of a team they just repeat it. Apparently for years.

azhog10

Quote from: HamIAm on December 30, 2017, 06:55:27 pm

The announcers say, "Arkansas is good enough to put some pressure on the top teams in the conference, if they can just learn how to play on the road like they do at Bud Walton."

They read hogville. Many posters say the same here.

Hawg Red

I don't think losing at Houston by 26 helped. It's going to take a little time to change the national perception even though us Hog fans know that we've been good on the road two of the last three seasons (basically when we have good talent like we do again this year).

Jeffcphog

checkraiser88

Quote from: Jeffcphog on December 30, 2017, 07:53:01 pm
That announcer was our own Jimmy Dykes.

Not surprised..Although Jimmy has some lovers on here so watch out before his name up lol

rzrbackramsfan

I feel like Jimmy Dykes has been such sour grapes about Arkansas recently.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 30, 2017, 07:55:38 pm
I feel like Jimmy Dykes has been such sour grapes about Arkansas recently.
He was undefeated in games that he played in.  Not true in games he coached.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

1hawgballer2

Response: if accurate and there are no reasons for me to question the authenticity of this post, since I heard him brag on Kentucky and proclaim Tennessee will finish 4 in the conference race and marginalized Arkansas success. He comes across as a scorned individual, you won't hear him raising the hawgs up

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricolacey on December 30, 2017, 08:08:45 pm
Response: if accurate and there are no reasons for me to question the authenticity of this post, since I heard him brag on Kentucky and proclaim Tennessee will finish 4 in the conference race and marginalized Arkansas success. He comes across as a scorned individual, you won't hear him raising the hawgs up
He's just mad because Bielema got paid $10,000,000+ for sucking just as bad.

HogMantheIntruder

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

claycohog

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on December 30, 2017, 08:00:57 pm
Mississippi State and Auburn are going to rip us in two
[/quote
Unfortunately, I'm afraid so.  Prove me wrong, hogs.

forrest city joe

December 30, 2017, 08:38:53 pm #12 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:06:17 pm by forrest city joe

Will you please stop letting facts get in the way of these people?facts don't matter to these folks.heard one guy on ESPN say today that the game between OU and TCU was a battle of unbeaten team.did i miss something?Arkansas beat OU on a neutral basketball court out in Portland Oregon.

PharmacistHog

We are playing well and having a great season so far. Quit looking for crap to offend you.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

niels_boar

It's lazy.  We didn't beat OU or UConn in BWA.  The Houston game is one data point that was our fourth away game in eight days, and we fell flat on our face in our first true road game last year.  We beat a FF team in their house in February last season.  We went to the SECT CG, which wasn't in BWA.  Dykes knows better, which leads me to believe that he is being deliberately deceptive.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

News flash #3 - Arkansas IS one of the top teams in the conference, technically the best, according to RPI as of this moment.

latrops

Quote from: niels_boar on December 30, 2017, 11:37:38 pm
It's lazy.  We didn't beat OU or UConn in BWA.  The Houston game is one data point that was our fourth away game in eight days, and we fell flat on our face in our first true road game last year.  We beat a FF team in their house in February last season.  We went to the SECT CG, which wasn't in BWA.  Dykes knows better, which leads me to believe that he is being deliberately deceptive.

I think some are reading too much into these types of comments. 

First, neutral site games aren't the same as true road games.  What we did vs Oklahoma and UConn is irrelevant when talking about true road record. 

Ultimately, it is likely that our road record figures heavily in our postseason fortunes.  In 4 out of 6 years we have been below .500 on the road and in those four seasons we did not make the NCAAT.  In the 2 seasons we did make the NCAAT we were .500 or better.

Coming into the season Anderson was 21-42 on the road at Arkansas.  He has been better in the last 3 years compared to his first 3...but road woes are still a potential issue. 

FWIW, with Barford and Macon leading the way I do expect 4+ road wins and for our road record to basically be a non-issue.

code red

I agree with this.  However.  The glaring defecencies once again.....are lack of half court defense.  It will cost us some games.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Razorod

We can start changing the narrative a bit with our performance this week. Hogs should be ranked, so a bit more scrutiny from the national pundits on our performance. Two winnable road games, we need to take at least one of them. Definitely need to avoid an 0-2 week.

MSU--mid-week game, but no school so that might help. Howland has won the last two against Anderson. Will be their conference opener, quick turnaround for us after an emotional, overtime win. They do have some bigs who could pose some problems for Gafford. Should win this game, we're the better team, we'll see.

Auburn--Pearl will be lying in wait for this one. Tigers should be coming off a loss against Tennessee, so motivation will be there. Guard oriented team and I don't think Austin Wiley has been cleared to play. Should be fast-paced, fun game. Again, we're the better team, we'll see how the game goes and how well they hit their threes.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Razorod on December 31, 2017, 07:34:14 am
We can start changing the narrative a bit with our performance this week. Hogs should be ranked, so a bit more scrutiny from the national pundits on our performance. Two winnable road games, we need to take at least one of them. Definitely need to avoid an 0-2 week.

MSU--mid-week game, but no school so that might help. Howland has won the last two against Anderson. Will be their conference opener, quick turnaround for us after an emotional, overtime win. They do have some bigs who could pose some problems for Gafford. Should win this game, we're the better team, we'll see.

Auburn--Pearl will be lying in wait for this one. Tigers should be coming off a loss against Tennessee, so motivation will be there. Guard oriented team and I don't think Austin Wiley has been cleared to play. Should be fast-paced, fun game. Again, we're the better team, we'll see how the game goes and how well they hit their threes.
So far this season, MSU has played only 5 teams with an RPI better than 200, 3 teams with a top 100 RPI, and a grand total of ZERO teams in the top 50. The closest to a top 50, and the only team with both a top 100 RPI and winning record so far on MSU's schedule, was Cincinnati who comes in at 69; they beat the Bulldogs by 14. As of today, only 3 of the Bulldogs' 12 opponents have a winning record, so MSU's best wins are against 7-3 SF Austin (RPI 108) by 5 pts and 10-4 Jacksonville St (RPI 223)by 3. 11-1 is a great record, but with no quality wins, a double digit loss against the only good team they have played, and a SOS of 309, it's a bit deceptive.

Auburn's schedule is more respectable than MSU's, but the same can be said for most teams in the country. They've played two top 50 RPI teams; their lone quality win coming from 8-4 Middle Tennessee St (RPI 33) by 6 pts and their one loss coming at the hands of 7-6 Temple (RPI 29) by 14. Five of the Tigers' 13 opponents currently have winning records. Their SOS comes in at 128, with an RPI of 30. Again, they have a very good record, but they've yet to beat a good team.

In stark contrast, 7 of Arkansas' 12 opponents currently have winning records. The Hogs have played 4 top 50 RPI teams, including 2 of the top 5 with Oklahoma at #3 and North Carolina at #4. Minnesota just misses the cut at 52. Our two losses came at the hands of Houston (RPI 43) by an embarrassing 26 points and NC (RPI 4) by 19; with both teams boasting a 12-2 record. Arkansas has 3 high quality wins, handing 12-1 and current #12 (and rising) Oklahoma (RPI 3) their only loss of the season on a neutral court, a 16 pt win against 12-3 and then #14 Minnesota (RPI 52), and edging out #19 Tennessee (RPI 11) by 2. Arkansas' record of 11-2 comes against the 13th ranked SOS, with an RPI of 6, and only one opponent with an RPI over 200.

I don't think MSU and Auburn are bad teams, by any means, but neither has shown that they can beat a team that's better than just above average. I would argue that neither team has even played anyone on the level of the Hogs, with one possible exception in Cincinnati, but even they don't put up numbers like Arkansas. The Razorbacks, on the other hand, have not only played, but beaten teams that are as good, and likely better, than either MSU or Auburn. The difference in experience, especially at this point in the season, is massive and could nullify home court advantage. There is simply no substitute for being battle tested, and this is a very scrappy, seasoned group that has figured out how to win, whether it's pretty or otherwise.

We may not win both games this week, but from what I can see, there is no reason why we shouldn't.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Bigmac2

Hoping you are right. Put the TN game on a neutral court and it probably would have ended differently. After seeing what Bama did to AM this week has me worried. We have a good team that has not reached their ceiling yet and should peak at the right time for tournament as well as being built for tournament time. These early road games will be tough so don't get disappointed if we split or even lose them both. The team knows what goes on when you're on the road however the most important cog, Gafford, will have his first SEC road experience. Fingers are crossed.

razorback1829

Quote from: latrops on December 31, 2017, 12:22:00 am

I think some are reading too much into these types of comments. 

First, neutral site games aren't the same as true road games.  What we did vs Oklahoma and UConn is irrelevant when talking about true road record. 

Ultimately, it is likely that our road record figures heavily in our postseason fortunes.  In 4 out of 6 years we have been below .500 on the road and in those four seasons we did not make the NCAAT.  In the 2 seasons we did make the NCAAT we were .500 or better.

Coming into the season Anderson was 21-42 on the road at Arkansas.  He has been better in the last 3 years compared to his first 3...but road woes are still a potential issue. 

FWIW, with Barford and Macon leading the way I do expect 4+ road wins and for our road record to basically be a non-issue.

3 years of no road woes= no more road woes. This team translates anywhere.

Hawg Red

3kgthog

The entire SEC has been woeful on the road for years. It's mostly because of piss poor officiating. The conference has damaged its own brand and NCAAT chances on numerous occasions as a result.

HamIAm

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 01, 2018, 08:21:32 am
The entire SEC has been woeful on the road for years. It's mostly because of piss poor officiating. The conference has damaged its own brand and NCAAT chances on numerous occasions as a result.
I would agree with that.  Watching Georgia at Kentucky yesterday. Georgia was outplaying and beating Kentucky the entire game.  With around 10 minutes left Kentucky started testing the officiating to see how much they could get away with on defense. Until Kentucky caught up and took the lead the answer was apparently anything that didn't draw blood.

HawgnCorona

We dont have to wear it around our necks like a gold chain...Some anouncer dont prepare enough so they repeat chit they have seen in the past.

Shake IT off!

We know better.

WPS!!!!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 30, 2017, 07:12:04 pm
I don't think losing at Houston by 26 helped. It's going to take a little time to change the national perception even though us Hog fans know that we've been good on the road two of the last three seasons (basically when we have good talent like we do again this year).
One game doesn't make an issue. We're 2nd in the sec in road wins over the last 3 years. How much time will it take? No player on the roster was here when we were a bad road team. Yet, the media still pumps that false narrative. Not right.

HogFansReunited

Glad you chimed in, was getting worried you wouldn't say anything. I don't think people have realized you are our good luck charm.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: niels_boar on December 30, 2017, 11:37:38 pm
It's lazy.  We didn't beat OU or UConn in BWA.  The Houston game is one data point that was our fourth away game in eight days, and we fell flat on our face in our first true road game last year.  We beat a FF team in their house in February last season.  We went to the SECT CG, which wasn't in BWA. Dykes knows better, which leads me to believe that he is being deliberately deceptive.

Kentucky and Arkansas are the only 2 SEC teams with winning SEC road records when combining the previous 3 seasons ... that is significant, and the talking heads at SECN continue to lob that tired old mantra out there about the Hogs still having to prove they can compete on the road ... but Dykes had been a PART of the UA athletic program during that time, AND coupled with the fact that he's a veteran/seasoned color analyst, if in fact he said that then I agree it was intentional, misleading info.

Kevin

how much did dykes get when he got fired?  another brilliant move by long
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

That quote does not say we can't win on the road.  Not close.  Typical childish homer overreaction JB thread.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 01, 2018, 11:56:19 am
One game doesn't make an issue. We're 2nd in the sec in road wins over the last 3 years. How much time will it take? No player on the roster was here when we were a bad road team. Yet, the media still pumps that false narrative. Not right.

Well, that's the only true road game we've played this season, isn't it? So it's pretty easy to see how that long-held belief comes to mind for people.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 01, 2018, 06:40:52 pm
Well, that's the only true road game we've played this season, isn't it? So it's pretty easy to see how that long-held belief comes to mind for people.
Not if they know basketball. Only someone that doesn't know basketball would blame 1 road loss on a tendency that happened 4+ years ago with totally different players. Macon, Barford, Beard, etc. have proven they can win on the road. Did they expect us to go undefeated on the road? I'd be very happy with 4-5 in the sec on the road. 5-4 or anything better than that and I'd be thrilled.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 01, 2018, 06:51:08 pm
Not if they know basketball. Only someone that doesn't know basketball would blame 1 road loss on a tendency that happened 4+ years ago with totally different players. Macon, Barford, Beard, etc. have proven they can win on the road. Did they expect us to go undefeated on the road? I'd be very happy with 4-5 in the sec on the road. 5-4 or anything better than that and I'd be thrilled.

I see us winning 4-5 on the road this season. But the fact remains that there has been a lot of losing on the road over the years with two seasons of road success mixed in. The Hogs were good on the road in 2015, bad in 2016, then really good in 2017. I'm sorry if you can't see how that isn't quite overwhelming enough to completely wash that taste that had built up over YEARS out of people's mouthes. Especially considering we lost our only true road opportunity to date this season to a non-P5 program by 26 points. We know the Hogs are good on the road when the talent is there but it's pretty easy to see why that isn't quite the national perception. It's going to take some sustained success and consistency on the road to erase all those years of poor road play, friend. I can assure you of that. Spinning your wheels on what people should or shouldn't know will not change that. They do not live in our bubble.

PORKULATOR

-1 now and I'm going to to find you again later and smite as well.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BrooklynRoss

Not only that, I heard that we're going to be retroactively losing our games to top-50 RPI opponents in pre-conference.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

oldbooniehog

Breems

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 01, 2018, 07:16:26 pm
I see us winning 4-5 on the road this season. But the fact remains that there has been a lot of losing on the road over the years with two seasons of road success mixed in. The Hogs were good on the road in 2015, bad in 2016, then really good in 2017. I'm sorry if you can't see how that isn't quite overwhelming enough to completely wash that taste that had built up over YEARS out of people's mouthes. Especially considering we lost our only true road opportunity to date this season to a non-P5 program by 26 points. We know the Hogs are good on the road when the talent is there but it's pretty easy to see why that isn't quite the national perception. It's going to take some sustained success and consistency on the road to erase all those years of poor road play, friend. I can assure you of that. Spinning your wheels on what people should or shouldn't know will not change that. They do not live in our bubble.

The quote was about this season, so the only valid point is the Houston loss, but it's a sample size of 1.

Our history on the road with different coaches and players is irrelevant. MA's good teams, including the core of this group, have won on the road, so there's no reason to keep repeating that script.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

Quote from: Breems on January 01, 2018, 08:00:47 pm
The quote was about this season, so the only valid point is the Houston loss, but it's a sample size of 1.

Our history on the road with different coaches and players is irrelevant. MA's good teams, including the core of this group, have won on the road, so there's no reason to keep repeating that script.

Yeah, so that's not how talking heads work. Coaches will be judged on things like historical road performance. Again, I'm personally not surprised that this is still coming up with Anderson considering he has not put together two good seasons consecutively on the road yet at Arkansas. I think he will achieve that this season, but it's going to have to actually happen first with those outside of the Arkansas bubble for it to take hold. I'd advise that some of you (not you, Breems) not let it inflame your sensitivity on the subject. Just enjoy the winning and eventually the narrative will change.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 02, 2018, 11:46:36 am
Yeah, so that's not how talking heads work. Coaches will be judged on things like historical road performance. Again, I'm personally not surprised that this is still coming up with Anderson considering he has not put together two good seasons consecutively on the road yet at Arkansas. I think he will achieve that this season, but it's going to have to actually happen first with those outside of the Arkansas bubble for it to take hold. I'd advise that some of you (not you, Breems) not let it inflame your sensitivity on the subject. Just enjoy the winning and eventually the narrative will change.
the narrative will never change as long as we have the same posters here.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hawg Red

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 02, 2018, 12:04:21 pm
the narrative will never change as long as we have the same posters here.

Are we talking about how national media announcers/analysts view the Hogs or message board posters on Hogville? The OP is talking about broadcast announcers.

Razorback_Mack

January 02, 2018, 12:21:04 pm #41 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:31:29 pm by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: Hawg Red on January 01, 2018, 07:16:26 pm
Some of you people would argue with an opossum. The term "Power 5" is meaningless in college basketball.

I guess if we win consistently on the road for 10 years you'll jump up to defend the announcers that are dogging us. How long will it take? 5 years? 10 years? It's an honest question.

The_Iceman

Don't we have the 3rd best road winning percentage in the SEC over the last 3 seasons?

LivingLegends

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 12:21:04 pm

Some of you people would argue with an opossum. The term "Power 5" is meaningless in college basketball.

I guess if we win consistently on the road for 10 years you'll jump up to defend the announcers that are dogging us. How long will it take? 5 years? 10 years? It's an honest question.

Every year is different.  This year the SEC appears to be stacked with talent and really good squads.  The past few years the SEC has been pretty bad.  So, winning on the road this year will stand as a better gauge as to where this team stacks up nationally, imo.

bigred223

If we win tonight, we will be 9-3 in our last 12 road SEC games.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: bigred223 on January 02, 2018, 12:56:14 pm
If we win tonight, we will be 9-3 in our last 12 road SEC games.
Im saying this tounge in cheek....That's not enough. The last 3 years is not enough. It'll take a solid 10 years for announcers to not bring it up. I think they call that a decade.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 02, 2018, 12:45:06 pm
Don't we have the 3rd best road winning percentage in the SEC over the last 3 seasons?

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 10:21:53 am
Since this road discussion will come up many times, here are the road records by program for last 3 seasons:

UK 21-10 68%
OM 19-17 53%
Hogs 16-18 47%
Ga 16-19 46%
SC 14-17 45%
A&M 13-17 43%
Bama 14-20 41%
Fl 14-20 40%
LSU 12-21 36%
Vandy 12-22 35%
Tenn 11-23 32%
AU 10-27 27%
MSt 7-24 23%
Mz 0-30

This is for all road games so to analyze more would need to factor in SOSs including the unbalanced SEC schedules.

All road games - not just SEC games.  I'm not looking it up just in SEC games right now.  Our pattern has followed the conference's the last 3 season where 2015 and 2017 had high win %'s and 2016 was more of the norm with a much lower win % for all teams combined on the road. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Breems

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 02, 2018, 02:00:20 pm
All road games - not just SEC games.  I'm not looking it up just in SEC games right now.  Our pattern has followed the conference's the last 3 season where 2015 and 2017 had high win %'s and 2016 was more of the norm with a much lower win % for all teams combined on the road. 

This is my point. Teams like TN, AU, MU, etc. need to "learn" to win on the road. Arkansas just needs to continue it.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

CPO Hog

"Arkansas is good enough to put some pressure on the top teams in the conference, if they can just learn how to play on the road like they do at Bud Walton."

I agree it's a "The fire truck is red" type statement, but it's true.

At BWA 8-0. Don't always play great, but usually find a way to win.
Not at BWA 3-2. Does anyone think we would have won the UH game if it had been a BWA? UNC?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 02, 2018, 12:21:04 pm

Do you think you might be getting a little extreme? I think it's reasonable to say that the Hogs might need to put together back-to-back good road records under Anderson to really shake the perception.