Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

how many hours did you fly in 2011?

Started by gotyacovered, January 05, 2012, 04:39:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

i logged 53.1

going to have quite a few over the next couple weeks.
You are what you tolerate.

theFlyingHog

Absolutely not one. And it really freakin sucks!

bvillepig

145 this year with 46 in the last 3 months. 

Gotya Are the last couple weeks dragging by ?   Any celebrations planned in a couple weeks ?

Good luck I am sure you will do well.

Flying Razorback

Mine was a slow year for me as my job changed a bit but I still got 330+ last year.  This will be a slow year for me as well as I train in to a new jet but I'll have a really big 2013.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on January 05, 2012, 09:43:32 pm
145 this year with 46 in the last 3 months. 

i am going to try and get 10 hrs per month and hope any other cross country trips bump me over 150. does 146 seem like a lot? did i set my benchmark a little high?

Quote from: bvillepig on January 05, 2012, 09:43:32 pm
Gotya Are the last couple weeks dragging by ?   Any celebrations planned in a couple weeks ?

you have no idea. now that it is getting pretty close i am getting a little panicked in hopes i am prepared!

no huge plans, probably going to celebrate it with a ride for my kids, something they have been (not so patiently) waiting for 3.5 months. we are going skiing at red river in feb, and i am tentatively planning on flying out there. i was originally planning on flying into taos (kskx) but my dad/cfii is not real excited about that, so i may end up in Raton (krtn). kinda sucks b/c its a 1.5 hour drive as opposed to a 40 min drive from taos.

the real celebrations will be the family holidays (bdays, christmas, thanksgiving, weekend trip, etc.) that i can fly to my parents house instead of the 2 hour drive (one way), and not eat up the entire weekend on the road! and of course the fville games next year!

bvillepig

It is normal to get some anxiety before. If you get a good examiner everything will be good.  My instrument guy was great . He had me at ease through the oral and right into the practical.  Not so much with the private. The examiner made it an ordeal.  I had made a 98 on the written and he put me through 3 hours of hell. Then made the comment as we were going outside   I hope you fly better than than what you have shown so far.  Talk about on edge.

It adds up pretty quick. I did over 200 in 2010. The fuel cost has slowed some things down.

jonesark™

Brownstreak

600 plus?  I keep writing down my times in the little red logbooks I keep but haven't added them up in @ 8 years.  Most of our lines are constructed to between 50-85 hours per month.  In otherwords, that's a WAG.

gotyacovered

i was talking to my dad last night, he is going to hit 28,000 hours this month. i started playing with those numbers... that is 3.2 years he has been in an airplane! he has time in a lot of different aircraft,some king airs and twins, but most of that is in single engine pistons!

bvillepig

Wow 28000 hours.  Does your dad also live around Hope also ? His new plane is pretty awesome.

Just a note : I cant believe as much as I have loved airplanes my whole life I waited until 8 years ago to actually get it done. I even went to Henderson State and didn't realize they had an aviation program.  Oh well I am proud of almost every one of my 1500 hours plus. Wish fuel would go down some.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on February 06, 2012, 11:45:40 am
Wow 28000 hours.  Does your dad also live around Hope also ? His new plane is pretty awesome.

Just a note : I cant believe as much as I have loved airplanes my whole life I waited until 8 years ago to actually get it done. I even went to Henderson State and didn't realize they had an aviation program.  Oh well I am proud of almost every one of my 1500 hours plus. Wish fuel would go down some.

no. he lives in Cabot, flys out of Central. his new plane is really sweet. the avionics package is amazing.

i turned over 92 hours this weekend! 1500 hours seems like an eternity away...

and the gas prices, make me want to :puke:

i have found that Hot Springs and Saline County have some cheap gas, compared to my home base, so i top off every time i am there.

funny story (kind of): i always use the self serve pumps and you have to select a dollar amount or # of gallons, i always just choose $500. so at saline county i am fill up and spill a little, it smells kinda funny. just had a bad feeling about it, so i stop at 15 gallons ($79) and decide we can just swing through hot springs and top off the tanks, as i needed another 45-50 gallons for KRTN trip. go through the same process and top off 45 gals ($224). get home and go to pay some bills online and notice my bank account seems a little "lite". i start looking and both saline county and KHOT were holding my $500(each)!!! lesson learned on that one, just thought i would pass it along. probably will use credit rather than debit from now on ;D would hate to be traveling and get myself in a bind!!! i was kind of surprised my debit card even let that happen, thought there was a daily limit on those things, maybe thats just what i told my wife ;D

bvillepig

I use the self serve at Kennett Mo alot @4.29. I always say 80 gallons no matter what.  The Saratoga holds 102.  So far I have only been charged what it took.

That is funny. Does your wife read when pigs fly.

theFlyingHog

I stopped off at Norman on the way back from Amarillo one day for a little gas and a smoke. My buddy took care of the fuel bill and told me, "22 gallons". I didn't think anything of for a minute but realized before we got to the plane that something was seriously screwed up! Plane holds 24 usable, burns 6 an hour. We had topped off at AMA and weren't aloft for more than 2 hours. I walked back inside and told the guy, either we have a serious leak or you just screwed by friend on the bill. We got our money back.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on February 06, 2012, 10:58:19 pm
I use the self serve at Kennett Mo alot @4.29. I always say 80 gallons no matter what.  The Saratoga holds 102.  So far I have only been charged what it took.

That is funny. Does your wife read when pigs fly.

uh. no.

if i mysteriously disappear one day, you will know she is on hogville!!!

and i havent found the humor in it yet, they are saying that it will be Thursday before the money is released, which is the day we are leaving for Red River. may start using the credit card from now on...

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 06, 2012, 11:53:56 pm
I stopped off at Norman on the way back from Amarillo one day for a little gas and a smoke. My buddy took care of the fuel bill and told me, "22 gallons". I didn't think anything of for a minute but realized before we got to the plane that something was seriously screwed up! Plane holds 24 usable, burns 6 an hour. We had topped off at AMA and weren't aloft for more than 2 hours. I walked back inside and told the guy, either we have a serious leak or you just screwed by friend on the bill. We got our money back.

wonder how many times stuff like that happens. i see so many people on KLIT, KHOT, KTXK just have them top em off, then the pilot, usually not the owner or payor of the bills just signs the ticket and moves on...

i havent let myself use anything other than self serve yet. it is partially b/c of the savings, partially b/c of my paranoia of them screwing something up.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 07, 2012, 08:23:39 am
wonder how many times stuff like that happens. i see so many people on KLIT, KHOT, KTXK just have them top em off, then the pilot, usually not the owner or payor of the bills just signs the ticket and moves on...

i havent let myself use anything other than self serve yet. it is partially b/c of the savings, partially b/c of my paranoia of them screwing something up.
I was a fueler at LIT for about 5 years. I usually use self-serve when I'm flying and I pay an obscene amount of attention to how much fuel goes in where. I'm always scared of leaks or weird burn numbers. Best thing I ever read in a POH: Set the fuel selector to either tank, not both, when refueling. That way it won't x-feed and you will actually top off both tanks.

gotyacovered

February 07, 2012, 02:49:43 pm #16 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:03:25 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 07, 2012, 12:58:35 pm
I was a fueler at LIT for about 5 years. I usually use self-serve when I'm flying and I pay an obscene amount of attention to how much fuel goes in where. I'm always scared of leaks or weird burn numbers. Best thing I ever read in a POH: Set the fuel selector to either tank, not both, when refueling. That way it won't x-feed and you will actually top off both tanks.

sounds like something i need to get into the habit of!