Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Awesome Video

Started by fdx flyer, October 25, 2011, 03:18:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fdx flyer

I just found this site today.  A guy from a Beechcraft internet forum I go to does a lot of aviation photography/videography.  He was the producer and air-to-air pilot for most of this footage.  Check it out:

http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/

Let's get some more videos up.  Kinda like the photo thread.

Enjoy!

Flying Razorback

Incredible.  God I love flying.

My problem so far has been I want to fly everything.  I had a real tough time a few months ago when I had to list out and rank order my preferences for my next jet.  I had to decide from everything from B-1's, to AC-130s, to C- and KC- airplanes, to ISR jets like U-2, RC-135, EC-130, E-3 and E-8.

Unfortunately in today's Air Force you basically have to define yourself down one path and you can't move between airframes with much fluidity.  I'm super excited to get my top choice but I wish I could fly everything.  And I wish I could fly everything from that video.

Better than that, sometimes I wonder if I was born in the wrong era, those classic birds are so beautiful.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

fdx flyer

October 25, 2011, 08:14:20 pm #2 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:18:03 pm by fdx flyer
Im with ya.  Love the classics.  We must be bruthas from anotha mutha!  ;). Lets start our own airline taking Hog fans to games in a DC-3 or Beech 18...  Whadya think??

Flying Razorback

Oh I wish.  I passed a beautiful Beech 18 in flight descending in to San Antonio once.  It was incredible.  It was perfectly shined up with that aluminum skin and had red accents.  The controller told me "You're coming up on a Beech jet of some sort that I'm not talking to..."  I was not expecting what I saw and passed a little too close by.  It looked great in flight.

One of my dream planes to fly is a DC-3.  A Hog airline would be awesome.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

bvillepig

Thanks for the find.  Absolutely wonderful video.  I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to fulfill this dream.

MDH

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 25, 2011, 07:50:43 pm
Better than that, sometimes I wonder if I was born in the wrong era, those classic birds are so beautiful.

You and me both, that's why I get so jazzed about being able to be involved in restoring vintage aircraft.  I don't necessarily have the huge desire to fly them as much just to work on them and see how they were put together.  Stuff was just put together better (structurally at least) back in those days.  Don't get me wrong, I love to go up in them, I just like working on them more.

And that was one heck of a video.  I put radios in a Steerman that looked identical to the one early on in the show.  Not so much fun to work on, but the challenge was fun.  Those planes weren't really designed to have radios after all.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

gotyacovered

Great video/thread.

One question, why land the cub w/ floats on land? Did I miss some landing gears?
You are what you tolerate.

fdx flyer

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 25, 2011, 11:55:23 pm
One question, why land the cub w/ floats on land? Did I miss some landing gears?

In areas up North, especially Alaska,  folks will fly their floatplanes ashore for the winter before lakes freeze over.  Apparently landing on grass (especially wet grass) is no big deal.  In the spring, they have a special trailer that is towed down the runway for takeoff.  I just saw a vid of this the other day.  Let me see if i can find it.

fdx flyer

fdx flyer

Here's a quick clip of me doing a flyby in my Bonanza a couple of weeks ago:

http://youtu.be/6cgIw8x9Qmw

MDH

"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on October 26, 2011, 12:29:53 am
Here's a quick clip of me doing a flyby in my Bonanza a couple of weeks ago:

http://youtu.be/6cgIw8x9Qmw

you were scootin', but i think that paint job looks pretty sweet.

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on October 26, 2011, 12:04:13 am
In areas up North, especially Alaska,  folks will fly their floatplanes ashore for the winter before lakes freeze over.  Apparently landing on grass (especially wet grass) is no big deal.  In the spring, they have a special trailer that is towed down the runway for takeoff.  I just saw a vid of this the other day.  Let me see if i can find it.

thats crazy, hope they scout out for rocks and such!

i need a float plane. bad.

gotyacovered

gotyacovered

this is not awesome, nor is it cool or signifigant to anyone other than me, so it doesn't really belong here, but i am posting it anyways... :) i was practicing and my wife came out... her and the kids watched me shoot some touch and go's, i greased all the landings and was pretty proud. this was the first time my family has watched me flying solo... so i kept it. i'll spare all 6 landings and just give you one... haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ttk7uBX_I

fdx flyer

Looked pretty cool to me!  I love flying at dusk.  What airport were you flying out of?

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on October 26, 2011, 12:56:39 pm
Looked pretty cool to me!  I love flying at dusk.  What airport were you flying out of?

Thanks, I do too! Hope (M18)

MDH

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 26, 2011, 01:56:49 pm
Thanks, I do too! Hope (M18)

My first solo cross country was M39 (now KMEZ) - M18 - KHOT - M39.  The thing that puzzles me now that I think about it (that was 25 years ago) is I don't think Mena to Hope is 50nm... 

Aren't there a bunch of FEMA trailers at the airport there now?

gotyacovered

Quote from: MDH on October 26, 2011, 05:19:03 pm
My first solo cross country was M39 (now KMEZ) - M18 - KHOT - M39.  The thing that puzzles me now that I think about it (that was 25 years ago) is I don't think Mena to Hope is 50nm... 

Aren't there a bunch of FEMA trailers at the airport there now?

I don't think it is either!!!

No more trailers.... And they got 4/22 back open, they have 16/34 closed for resurfacing right now...

gotyacovered

gotyacovered

gotyacovered

fdx flyer

Those were cool.  A guy deployed a chute on a 182 near here about 6 months ago.  He'd had some maintenance done over at Holly Springs, MS.  The shop had turned off his fuel selector for the maintenance.  He didn't catch it on preflight.  The engine ran just long enough to get airborne!  Doh!  Totaled the plane, but he was fine. 

gotyacovered

look at the crap on this gravel bar this dude could have runover/hit... looks fun, dangerous, with a great deal of risk damaging something. what a rush.

http://harborinnporta.com/images/Videos/2006-6-9_alaska_gravel_bar_landing.wmv

gotyacovered

gotyacovered

November 18, 2011, 10:25:00 am #25 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:25:39 pm by gotyacovered
footage of a C-130 deploying a decoy flare shower in the shape of an angel. the vortex looks sweet.

http://harborinnporta.com/images/Videos/Angel-Decoys.mpeg