Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bose vs Lightspeed

Started by gotyacovered, October 17, 2011, 10:29:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

little story to go with this, so bare with me.

Saturday i went out and practiced some ground ref maneuvers, touch/go's, etc. when i landed i was going to wash the the 182 and one of my friends, who is a professional pilot had to drop some people off on Tulsa, (in a baron) and asked me if i wanted to ride along. of course.

i ask him if i need to bring my headset (david clarks/h10-40's(?)), he says i can, but he says he has one i can use. it was a lightspeed zulu. i pop them on and was shocked at how comfortable they were, AND how loud they were... he saw me fiddling with it and showed me how to turn it on, when i hit that power button i was shocked :o

they were awesome, i have to have a pair.

my dad has the a20's, which i have never used b/c they dont have the dual plus like my plane... and he swears by them.

the only true diff i can see between the two seem to be the weight (bose are 1.5 ozs lighter) and the breakover in the bose for storing.

what say you?
You are what you tolerate.

theFlyingHog

I've tried Lightspeeds and I really prefer my DC H10-60s.

bvillepig

I have a Zulu lightspeed and love it.  Also have had the David Clarke.

I have used the Bose that came with a friend of mines 182. They are great headsets but on a long flight became uncomfortable because of the size of the earpiece. It definitely is a personal pref.

I love the bluetooth capability.

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 17, 2011, 10:57:03 am
I've tried Lightspeeds and I really prefer my DC H10-60s.

i think i have the h10's, but not sure after that... maybe h10-50's... is that last number just the model type?

FWIW the DC's of mine are not uncomfortable until i start sweating, i didnt sweat in these, didnt have a chance to, but i have got to think i will like them better.

i wonder if its what you are used to... the guy i was flying with is my age, had about 5000 hours and he also prefers his DC's... interesting.

my dad is straight old school, or was until they came out with g1000's and bose headsets!!! he cannot live without either not, he feels beglected when he has to use my 696!!!!

i tihnk the important part is the ANR. my dad is very hard of hearing, had he had the ANR 10-15-20 years ago he wouldnt be like that...

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on October 17, 2011, 11:20:06 am
I have a Zulu lightspeed and love it.  Also have had the David Clarke.

I have used the Bose that came with a friend of mines 182. They are great headsets but on a long flight became uncomfortable because of the size of the earpiece. It definitely is a personal pref.

I love the bluetooth capability.

before i buy a new one, i am lurking aopa/ebay for a used set, if i go this route i will def get lightspeed b/c the model compared to the bose x (which is last years model) doesnt have blue tooth and the zulu does. and they are pretty close to the same money.

MDH

We've had some issues with Zulu 2's that we have sold recently- what it boils down to is if the earpiece does not fully seal around the user's ear the ANR will get all goofy.

The bose are nice, but I'm of the same opinion as bville, they do get uncomfortable.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

HawgPilot

I have the Bose and they are fine but the ear pieces are starting to "flake" leaving black particles on my ears now.  If anyone knows where or if I can get replacement ear pieces, that would be great!

MDH

Quote from: HawgPilot on October 18, 2011, 10:58:44 am
I have the Bose and they are fine but the ear pieces are starting to "flake" leaving black particles on my ears now.  If anyone knows where or if I can get replacement ear pieces, that would be great!

Around 20 bucks from the Bose Accessories website.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

jonesark™

I've had the lightspeed zulu for a little over 2 years now. Never had a problem with them and they are by far the most comfortable headset I've had on. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

Gas Can

You can't beat the lightspeed customer service when something breaks.

HawgPilot

gotyacovered

i have about decided to pick a used set up, can be had pretty reasonably. i give the nod to lightspeed if buying used, i dont believe the aviation x model--which will be easier to find used... has bluetooth.

you guys see any for sale around, send me a link!!!

thanks again for all the input.

Hogbus320

For what its worth....I happen to have a bose X for sale.  Just got the new mic put on it with the stereo volume control.  It has been an awesome headset.  Wore it in all sorts of planes...singles, multis, turboprops, jets...just a perfect headset.  Asking $400.  If anyone is interested just pm me.

Hogbus320

Also I don't know if the headset you are looking for is for airline or part 135 application.  If so, many airlines require the headset to be TSO'd.  Bose is, Lightspeed isn't...or at least the last time I checked.

gotyacovered

October 20, 2011, 10:17:40 pm #14 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:31:25 pm by gotyacovered
hogbus320... did you sell your bose x?