Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tomlinson Avionics

Started by gotyacovered, October 04, 2011, 01:38:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

Any of you have any experience with them??? (KPBF)

I need to upgrade my audio panel to accommodate my 696 XM radio over the intercom, just in general need to update. Also would take input on what panel to get.
You are what you tolerate.

Flying Razorback

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

fdx flyer

A good friend of my parents was their secretary.  Unfortunately, she recently passed away.  I've never had any work done by them though.

I recently purchased an almost new PS Engineering PMA 8000B audio panel on a beechcraft forum that I frequent (haven't installed it yet though).  I got it for $900.  It can handle two separate aux audio inputs, along with an additional input on the face of the panel.  I've had some PS Engineering stuff in the past and been very pleased.  I got this unit because my plane currently has an old King KMA-24 audio panel, and a separate 4 place intercom.  The PMA-8000B will combine them into one box, plus let me isolate the front seats from the back.  That way the kids can talk and listen to their ipods, but I don't have to hear it.

PS Engineering makes a new model called the PMA 8000BT.  It's bluetooth.  Supposed to be able to let you play music from your iphone (or other bluetooth device) over your aircraft intercom wirelessly.  Also supposed to be able to let you talk on your cellphone wirelessly thru your headset (on the ground  ;)).    It's $1800 though, and probably too new to find many good used deals.

gotyacovered

fdx flyer

I'm thinking he does have XM weather if he's got XM music and a 696. 

XM weather is the shiite!  I used to have a 496 with it - now have an Aera 560 with it.  I let a friend borrow it a couple of weekends ago and felt naked without it.  I sure wish we had it on our FedEx jets.

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on October 04, 2011, 03:46:37 pm
A good friend of my parents was their secretary.  Unfortunately, she recently passed away.  I've never had any work done by them though.

I recently purchased an almost new PS Engineering PMA 8000B audio panel on a beechcraft forum that I frequent (haven't installed it yet though).  I got it for $900.  It can handle two separate aux audio inputs, along with an additional input on the face of the panel.  I've had some PS Engineering stuff in the past and been very pleased.  I got this unit because my plane currently has an old King KMA-24 audio panel, and a separate 4 place intercom.  The PMA-8000B will combine them into one box, plus let me isolate the front seats from the back.  That way the kids can talk and listen to their ipods, but I don't have to hear it.

PS Engineering makes a new model called the PMA 8000BT.  It's bluetooth.  Supposed to be able to let you play music from your iphone (or other bluetooth device) over your aircraft intercom wirelessly.  Also supposed to be able to let you talk on your cellphone wirelessly thru your headset (on the ground  ;)).    It's $1800 though, and probably too new to find many good used deals.

you accomplished exactly what i want to accomplish.

i have looked at that blue tooth version, saaaweeeeet. where did you get that price? i saw it and I thought it was a lot more than that... $900 seems like a good deal for that unit, if you see any more deals like that send me a link!!!

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on October 04, 2011, 03:46:37 pm

btw, i spoke with jerry last week, he said he was about to have surgery or something, but i sent him pics of my audio panel, so we will see what he says, he already mentioned one PS unit, not sure which one.

gotyacovered

stupid question:

are the audio panels specific to make? in other words, i am looking for the panel fdx flyer just bought and was curious if that model that is specific for beech aircraft, or if it can be used in cessna/beech

Flying Razorback

Quote from: fdx flyer on October 04, 2011, 03:50:10 pm
I'm thinking he does have XM weather if he's got XM music and a 696. 

XM weather is the shiite!  I used to have a 496 with it - now have an Aera 560 with it.  I let a friend borrow it a couple of weekends ago and felt naked without it.  I sure wish we had it on our FedEx jets.

I'd love to have XM weather as well.  My current weather radar is old and obviously doesn't give anything but radar return.  But even having that I hate not having weather radar when I'm driving my truck on long road trips.  I'm excited to see what kind of weather products I'll have in the J-model C-130, I've heard they're pretty sweet.  I'm also ready to have data-link.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

also, fdx flyer, are the audio input jacks on the front of the unit you got? or is there one that can be wired elsewhere AND one on the front  ???

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 04, 2011, 04:17:24 pm
I'd love to have XM weather as well.  My current weather radar is old and obviously doesn't give anything but radar return.  But even having that I hate not having weather radar when I'm driving my truck on long road trips.  I'm excited to see what kind of weather products I'll have in the J-model C-130, I've heard they're pretty sweet.  I'm also ready to have data-link.

to be honest, since i am only a student pilot i havent used it much, just another thing to learn to use correctly at this point..... what wx package did you get?

fdx flyer

I have the PMA 8000B not the BT - so no blue tooth.  Still very capable though.   The units are not airplane specific.  PS Engineering should have a huge list of airplanes that their items can be installed in.  Pretty much any GA airplane, I'm sure.  And I know the PMA 8000B will operate on both 14V and 28V systems.

I frequent a message board called Beechtalk.com    It has a section called PeddlersTalk that is basically classified ads.  Some guy was upgrading his panel and was selling several items - including the audio panel I bought.  He was asking 1200, but I paid shipping and got it for 900.  New, its about $1600.  The BT version is $1800.   The 8000 and 8000B have been around long enough that you can occasionally find them used on the internet - places like Barnstormers.com and ebay.  I haven't seen any used BTs though.

fdx flyer

I pay $35 a month for the Aviator Lite XM package.  I think the higher priced option is around $50 a month.  It adds winds aloft, lightning, and a few other odds and ends I figured I could live without.

fdx flyer

Forgot to explain the inputs.

You can have two aux audio inputs that are not on the audio panel itself.  ex. - one in the sidewall by the rear seats, and one up front next to your headset jacks.

In addition to those, the audio panel itself has a small 2.5mm jack on the face of unit.  (This is a little smaller than the standard 3.5 mm mini stereo jacks).  It requires a special cord that will connect to your cellphone.  PS Engineering sells these.  I think the one for the iphone is about $30.   This jack on the face of the audio panel is the only one that you can use to talk on the phone via your aircraft headset.  The other two jacks are for music input only.  Make sense?

gotyacovered

I looked around today and all I could find were some 7000, I assume just a little older, they were about $900, soon feel like you def for a good deal.

Thanks for all the info. I have the same WX pkg as well...

gotyacovered

And yes, that makes perfect sense, exactly what i want.

MDH

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 04, 2011, 04:16:36 pm
stupid question:

are the audio panels specific to make? in other words, i am looking for the panel fdx flyer just bought and was curious if that model that is specific for beech aircraft, or if it can be used in cessna/beech

No they aren't make specific.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

MDH

October 07, 2011, 11:02:52 am #17 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:39:10 pm by gotyacovered
I've had good luck with PS Engineering audio panels over the years, we have an 8000M in the Comanche and I've installed countless others.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul