Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drake Field Question...

Started by El Guapo, September 12, 2011, 11:55:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

Quote from: texas hawg on October 05, 2011, 09:59:24 am
I like flying in to Salida and skiing Monarch and also Alamosa and skiing Wolf Creek.

i saw monarch on the way to RR. it looked pretty sweet. how far and what kind of travel arrangements do you work out?
You are what you tolerate.

El Guapo

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 05, 2011, 10:48:18 am
i saw monarch on the way to RR. it looked pretty sweet. how far and what kind of travel arrangements do you work out?

I go to church with some retired folks that have a cabin and a jeep in salida, i use their jeep when i get up that way. we were up there last christmas while they were there and they picked us up at the air field.

As far as alamosa-wolf creek, it is the ideal place to fly to in a small airplane. especially coming from GGG. the approach from the south is not to bad and the elevation is easier to deal with. It can get a little bumpy coming over the ridges in northern new mexico before turning north though!

I am not sure the VFR min-altitude requirements coming in from the east, but there is a pretty high ridge of mountains east of alamosa.

The safest bet is always to fly into pueblo and rent a car.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

gotyacovered

Quote from: texas hawg on October 05, 2011, 11:03:24 am
I go to church with some retired folks that have a cabin and a jeep in salida, i use their jeep when i get up that way. we were up there last christmas while they were there and they picked us up at the air field.

As far as alamosa-wolf creek, it is the ideal place to fly to in a small airplane. especially coming from GGG. the approach from the south is not to bad and the elevation is easier to deal with. It can get a little bumpy coming over the ridges in northern new mexico before turning north though!

I am not sure the VFR min-altitude requirements coming in from the east, but there is a pretty high ridge of mountains east of alamosa.

The safest bet is always to fly into pueblo and rent a car.

we have a group of friends that go to RR every year. we do it for the kids, probably the most friendly mountain i have ever been on. i got my kids private lessons for 3 days and it was cheaper than one private lesson at crested butte.

i have heard that taos is a good spot to fly into, and my cousin did it this summer in his Cherokee 180, its 8500. he said it was a little spooky his first time, it was hot too. he was going to go to angel fire and decided on taos and save that trip for the winter, get some cooler temps.

gotyacovered

scored tickets for my CFI this weekend, will be flying into drake for the first time, i assume it is the most busy right before the game and just steady for the rest of the day? same true after its over? right after its real busy?

got the shuttle part, the landing fee... anything else?

C182
N42653

Gas Can

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 05, 2011, 03:09:48 pm
scored tickets for my CFI this weekend, will be flying into drake for the first time, i assume it is the most busy right before the game and just steady for the rest of the day? same true after its over? right after its real busy?

got the shuttle part, the landing fee... anything else?

C182
N42653

Get there early so you don't have to park in the "north 40"

gotyacovered

Quote from: Gas Can on October 05, 2011, 03:48:13 pm

haha, understood.

El Guapo

Quote from: Gas Can on October 05, 2011, 03:48:13 pm

The good thing is that if they park you in the north 40, they usually have a van that picks you up there at your plane and takes you to the terminal... so its not too bad.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

Flying Razorback

I love flying out in the mountains, however, it's a lot easier having twin turbofans than single piston.  Still, there's plenty of considerations that'll get us in trouble too.

Here's flying out in New Mexico around Santa Fe, Taos, Angel Fire, and the like:

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

just called to find out the shuttle schedule and here is what i was told... starts 4 hrs before the game, runs every 30 mins and for an hour after the game.  :razorback:

i also called to see if they had any of the cheap cars left (all they had was mid-sized) and i asked her about it, she said he runs for more than an hour after the game... FWIW.

El Guapo

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 06, 2011, 04:54:38 pm
just called to find out the shuttle schedule and here is what i was told... starts 4 hrs before the game, runs every 30 mins and for an hour after the game.  :razorback:

i also called to see if they had any of the cheap cars left (all they had was mid-sized) and i asked her about it, she said he runs for more than an hour after the game... FWIW.

Yes... and he will give you his cell #.. if you text him as you walk out of RRS, he will be waiting when you get to the Chick-Fil-A down the hill.

gotyacovered

It was an awesome experience... And a fun approach! Had great tailwinds on the way up! Hit 170 kts several times and cruised a better part of it between 160-165 kts, did about 108 kts coming back!!! Tach said 2.2 hours round trip, not bad considering is a 8.5-9 hour round trip drive (with no stops).

Actually my first time cruising at 8500... Amd tops of the clouds

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 10, 2011, 12:55:44 pm
It was an awesome experience... And a fun approach! Had great tailwinds on the way up! Hit 170 kts several times and cruised a better part of it between 160-165 kts, did about 108 kts coming back!!! Tach said 2.2 hours round trip, not bad considering is a 8.5-9 hour round trip drive (with no stops).

Actually my first time cruising at 8500... Amd tops of the clouds

That's the best view there is!

gotyacovered

October 10, 2011, 03:33:14 pm #162 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:30:38 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 10, 2011, 01:42:17 pm
That's the best view there is!

true dat