Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red Beans and Rice Recipes

Started by HawgWild, October 22, 2013, 02:24:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Boarcephus

A year or so ago I pulled one off the Food Network from Emeril Lagasse that I modified that is great.  I'll post it tomorrow.   It's time consuming but good complete with mashing the beans against the side of the pot and using tasso. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

I buy the Zatarain's one in the box add a dash of Tony Chanches and 2 links of Cajun Holler Sausages.  Cook and eat.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jacobp

I'll side with Boarcephus on this one. I pulled Emeril's recipe years ago. A couple tweaks along the way and its good stuff
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/red-beans-and-rice-recipe2/index.html

Start with that. Its an excellent recipe

GreenwayTigerHog

I throw a couple of 16 oz cans of Hunts diced tomatoes, 2 cans of red beans or 1 each of red & black, some Tony Cs or whatever cajun type spice I have and a package of King Cotton cajun sausage in a skillet & let it simmer for 30 minutes or so and put over white rice.  Maybe not authentic cajun red beans & rice but everyone that has ever had it loved it.  Usually some corn bread on the side. 

jacobp

Oh I'd eat that and like it. It ain't exactly traditional red beans and rice, but it beats anything you buy out of a box.

GreenwayTigerHog

Yeah I'm sure if a real cajun saw me whoop that up and call it cajun style he would curb stomp me into a greasy spot.

dhornjr1

People might get tired of Emeril's schtick, but he knows his stuff. I have used his Cornbread Dressing with Andouille Sausage recipe for Thanksgiving and Christmas for years.  Like you guys, I tweak it a little bit, but my family wolfs it down.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cornbread-and-andouille-dressing-recipe/index.html

Boarcephus

October 23, 2013, 07:24:10 pm #8 Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:38:26 pm by Boarcephus
Quote from: jacobp on October 23, 2013, 03:21:02 pm
I'll side with Boarcephus on this one. I pulled Emeril's recipe years ago. A couple tweaks along the way and its good stuff
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/red-beans-and-rice-recipe2/index.html

That's exactly the one I use.  I make some changes to it like I'll use a pound of ham and not the ham hock, 8 cups of chicken broth instead of 10, etc but has turned out great.  One tip I learned because I screwed up on the first time is when you bring your beans to a simmer, take the lid off the pot.  You need to cook off some of the broth and if the lid stays on the beans are too soupy.  Richard's Meat Market sells the tasso.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

I will give the homemade one a try but we use the Zats because I can walk in the house and have it on the table in 30 minutes and enjoy a hot good family meal.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Rockpig5

I wish!! I'll keep checking back for others though....

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 24, 2013, 12:46:39 pm
I will give the homemade one a try but we use the Zats because I can walk in the house and have it on the table in 30 minutes and enjoy a hot good family meal.

Zatarain's is tough to beat and like you said, 30 minutes and you're eating.   When winter gets here, it's nasty outside and you've got the time you ought to try this.  Just soak the beans overnight and jump into the next day but it takes about 3 hours to finish them.  This recipe is better than the box, makes a lot more but is time consuming to say the least.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 24, 2013, 01:23:59 pm
Zatarain's is tough to beat and like you said, 30 minutes and you're eating.   When winter gets here, it's nasty outside and you've got the time you ought to try this.  Just soak the beans overnight and jump into the next day but it takes about 3 hours to finish them.  This recipe is better than the box, makes a lot more but is time consuming to say the least.

Thanks Boar I also Dr up the Zats with Tony C 's and some good Cajun Sausage.

Brown the Sausage and put the drippings in the pot.  a teaspoon of Tony C's in the pot cut the sausage in 1 inch sections and into the pot then bring to a boil and add the box and in 30 minutes your set.

old hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 24, 2013, 02:07:48 pm
Thanks Boar I also Dr up the Zats with Tony C 's and some good Cajun Sausage.

Brown the Sausage and put the drippings in the pot.  a teaspoon of Tony C's in the pot cut the sausage in 1 inch sections and into the pot then bring to a boil and add the box and in 30 minutes your set.
Do this myself, and really love it. Kids love it although the wife does not like red beans for some reason. But that is ok, just means more for the rest of us.

DeltaBoy

My wife is a native Texan and in her family Red Beans and Rice is a Regular Family Dish.   We make the Homemade kind in the Winter time and during the School breaks when life is slower.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 23, 2013, 02:51:02 pm
I buy the Zatarain's one in the box add a dash of Tony Chanches and 2 links of Cajun Holler Sausages.  Cook and eat.

Speaking of Zatarain's, have you tried their Yellow Rice?  That stuff is great.  Find it in the same section you get their RB&R, etc.

Big Papa Satan

When I don't have the time I use the Zatarain's box stuff, but when I do it's dried red beans, diced bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, depending on if I want it to have some color), green onions, reduced amount of regular onion, bay leaf, ham (or the hock if I have one), kielbasa, chicken broth, and different kinds of seasonings.

Ever use this in your recipe?

I love the stuff.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on October 24, 2013, 08:24:25 pm
When I don't have the time I use the Zatarain's box stuff, but when I do it's dried red beans, diced bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, depending on if I want it to have some color), green onions, reduced amount of regular onion, bay leaf, ham (or the hock if I have one), kielbasa, chicken broth, and different kinds of seasonings.

Ever use this in your recipe?

I love the stuff.

What the hell, no celery????  ;)

When it comes to the andouille, I'm stuck with what I can scrounge up and pickings are slim in nw Arkansas.  I picked up some Manda in TX when we visited grandkids and a girl I worked with brought me some back from Lake Providence on here way back from Gulf Shores.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 24, 2013, 08:33:55 pm
What the hell, no celery????  ;)

Forgot about that.  I'm not a big fan of the stuff, though.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on October 24, 2013, 08:39:32 pm
Forgot about that.  I'm not a big fan of the stuff, though.

just messing with you. :)\

The only time I use celery is when I go the cajun route.

HawgWild

Quote from: jacobp on October 23, 2013, 03:21:02 pm

Thanks, I think I will. I soaked the beans last night and will cook this up tonight.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on October 25, 2013, 10:49:41 am
Thanks, I think I will. I soaked the beans last night and will cook this up tonight.

Did you get the Camilla Red Beans?

Jackrabbit Hog

I confess I use the boxed Zatarans, but I dress it up with a bit of tabasco and salsa (yes, salsa) as it is boiling.  Gives it an extra kick.  Also, I will cut a couple of links of Johnsonville Andouille sausage in half (from end to end), grill them, and then add them about 5 minutes before taking it all off the stove.

Good eatin' for cheap.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

old hog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 26, 2013, 09:32:10 am
I confess I use the boxed Zatarans, but I dress it up with a bit of tabasco and salsa (yes, salsa) as it is boiling.  Gives it an extra kick.  Also, I will cut a couple of links of Johnsonville Andouille sausage in half (from end to end), grill them, and then add them about 5 minutes before taking it all off the stove.

Good eatin' for cheap.
Never thought of putting salsa in there. Will have to try it. Instead of Tabasco, I use Sriracha red rooster sauce. Love the flavor of it.

DeltaBoy

Sorry Boar I hate yellow rice.  But the Wife and daughter love it and make it as a side dish for
Chicken.

HawgWild

Definitely a red beans and rice kinda day. Going to fix a pot.

bigstyx

Maudie's Seafood Market in Fayetteville sells 3 kinds of andouille (Manda and 2 others), but it's all pretty pricey there. Used to get King Cotton in NWA, but haven't seen it lately. Is anyone finding it up here anywhere?

Big Papa Satan

About a week ago I cooked a pot of red beans and rice using a recipe that Oklahoma Joe's restaurant in Kansas City uses.

Recipe Link

It was decent, nothing spectacular.  A little too salty.

Boarcephus

Quote from: bigstyx on January 04, 2014, 09:12:22 pm
Maudie's Seafood Market in Fayetteville sells 3 kinds of andouille (Manda and 2 others), but it's all pretty pricey there. Used to get King Cotton in NWA, but haven't seen it lately. Is anyone finding it up here anywhere?

What do they charge for the Manda at Maudies?  My daughter-in-law fixed me up with Manda over the Christmas holidays when they brought the grandkids up.  They have access to Manda in east Tx and bought up all the store had and brought it to me.  It's $3 a package down there.  We're heading back to Sandestin in April and I'll stock up on it when we pass through Lake Providence.  I'll pick up about a dozen packages and be good to go.

DeltaBoy

We got Cajun Hollar brand at our HEB it is pretty good. 

DeltaBoy

Bump it time for this great dish again.   It good when it is COLD!

HawgWild

I'm thinking it's a red beans and rice kinda day.

Boarcephus

Getting the time of year for the foods like this.  Made gumbo Sunday.  Backed off the chicken broth a little because it had the texture I was looking for.  Ate it Monday at work and it was, for lack of better words, a little intense.  So Monday night I steamed some Dungenous Crabs and I'd flavored the water with Zatarains Pro Boil.  Those were great and I had the water left over with all the seasoning in it.  I warmed up my gumbo and thinned it down with the broth I had left over from the crab boil and I need to remember that.  darned good gumbo!

pigture perfect

I have a good recipe for Rice and beans. It starts with using Coconut milk. It's a caribean thing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

Red Beans and Rice is just a little taste of heaven during the cold weather.