Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My apologies

Started by Mike Irwin, February 05, 2018, 03:19:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 05, 2018, 03:59:41 pm
I hope Coach A stays.  He's a class act who came back to Arkansas to help get us back on the path to repsectability after thant charlatan John Pelphrey and that joke Stanley Heath.  We should be forever grateful to Coach A.  He's just been unlucky here at Arkansas.  But give him 3 or 4 more years and he'll have us back in the top 1/3 of the SEC West and maybe a 5 or 4 seed in the big dance.  WPS
Yes, 4 more years because it takes 11 years as a head coach at one program to get it all figured out...the mgmt of the program, the marketing to its fans, the recruiting process, how to coach the team given its talents, and how to hire the best assistant coaches. I feel confident in saying that by year 11 with Mike Anderson, the Razorback basketball program will be back in the top 15 and going to Sweet 16 and beyond annually. Just takes a while to get it going in the right direction...doesn't happen overnight with overnight = to 7 years.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2018, 05:08:41 am
That is what everyone said regarding firing of Bielema. Not only was Bielema fired, Long was shown the door too. You people do not understand the value of future revenue and earnings over long haul vs a one-time buyout. Anderson's buyout is monopoly money for the RF and/or the U of A. If they want to fire him, it will be done and the buyout will be paid. Just like happened with Bielema and Long.

Yipee! We've got lot's of money. Let's spend it. Sounds like Jeff Long and that's one of the main reasons he was fired.

The word coming out of the BOT after Long was removed was the opposite of what you're suggesting. Why do you think Yurachek said on the day he was announced that coaches buyouts were out of control and in the future he would seek to curb the practice?

Quote from: 1highhog on February 05, 2018, 10:50:09 pm
Mike, a few other posters are saying that our new AD had nothing to do with the new extension on Mike Anderson's contract, can you confirm whether he did or not?

No but I will try to find out because it makes no sense that he would not have been involved. Yurachek had been on the job for around two months at the time. Why would he not have anything to do with a new contract for the head basketball coach? I get it that the details were worked out under Long. But I also know that the BOT refused to approve it when it was presented to them by Long. So they fired Long but decided to approve it after they fired him? There's something really odd about this. It's almost like Long is still making the decisions.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 06, 2018, 08:23:13 am

But I also know that the BOT refused to approve it when it was presented to them by Long. So they fired Long but decided to approve it after they fired him? There's something really odd about this. It's almost like Long is still making the decisions.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: ballinhog on February 05, 2018, 04:11:37 pm

At least the incoming class fits the style of ball he wants to play a whole lot more than the current roster. We will actually have guards with length and athleticism.
So then the excuse will be, "well this is such a young team...give them another year or two and look out!" This year's team has talent and lot's of experience (seniors), and we just can't get over the mediocre hump. I'm convinced what we are seeing is the very ceiling of what MA can provide.

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: HogBreath on February 05, 2018, 05:57:47 pm
Haven't all of Mike's classes supposedly been the real deal right up until the games start?
OH OH! I know this one!......YES

HognotinMemphis

Yipee! We've got lot's of money. Let's spend it. Sounds like Jeff Long and that's one of the main reasons he was fired.

The word coming out of the BOT after Long was removed was the opposite of what you're suggesting. Why do you think Yurachek said on the day he was announced that coaches buyouts were out of control and in the future he would seek to curb the practice?

That is not even close to what I said. I said the current buyout amount for Anderson is pocket change/monopoly money for the RF and U of A and if they want Anderson gone, he will be fired and the buyout paid with zero regard for the cost of the buyout.  I DID NOT say large buyouts for head coaches will be written into future contracts for head coaches at the U of A. This contract is done and the buyout cannot be changed.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 04:16:13 pm
Yes, but they will struggle next year to adjust. Then when they are sophomores, we will lose Gafford (if we don't this year). We have no big man recruits on our radar as of now, which is troubling.

And, the SEC is getting stronger. There are a bunch of coaches better than Mike Anderson now. We are getting left behind.
He would not be in my top 50

riccoar

Rick Schaffer was the one who reported the buyout was a flat $1 million buyout.  Not per each year.  That apparently was false.  He also said Yurachek was the one that said get the extension done so it could not be used against Mike in recruiting.  ie, he was on his way out in a year or two

masbas3

No but I will try to find out because it makes no sense that he would not have been involved. Yurachek had been on the job for around two months at the time. Why would he not have anything to do with a new contract for the head basketball coach? I get it that the details were worked out under Long. But I also know that the BOT refused to approve it when it was presented to them by Long. So they fired Long but decided to approve it after they fired him? There's something really odd about this. It's almost like Long is still making the decisions.

Thank you for the information,  I to was wondering about this.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: rzrbkman on February 05, 2018, 03:37:16 pm
He can retire at anytime, even after this season.

Look at the second half results,  I think he has already retired. 

Mike will not get fired this year because of the recruiting class coming in but I am surprised with his extended contract of 2 more years with a buyout for those extended years.  Why are we not learning our lesson on buy outs? 

My biggest complaint about Mike is his past recruiting  Because if he gets the right pieces he is not a  bad coach.  But why is he signing these shorter non athletic guys to play in a system where he needs longer athletic aggressive defensive minded kids to play his style.   this year Mike has  basically 2 scorers plus one long athlete in the middle who is a freshman and stays in foul trouble because he tries so hard but makes mistakes trying to block too many shots and rebound over people.  Next year Mike has many more of his type of athletes but they will be very young.  Lets see if next years team develops and we can be playing ouir best ball at the end of the year instead of regressing.

Paul Westerhawg

Jesus, this place is such a radioactive dumpster. Different day, same old useless boilerplate by the same posters. We get it, you want Mike fired. You're fed up and done supporting the program. Coming on here to flame out daily really give ya those jollies? What a bunch of losers.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2018, 10:20:17 am
That is not even close to what I said. I said the current buyout amount for Anderson is pocket change/monopoly money for the RF and U of A and if they want Anderson gone, he will be fired and the buyout paid with zero regard for the cost of the buyout.  I DID NOT say large buyouts for head coaches will be written into future contracts for head coaches at the U of A. This contract is done and the buyout cannot be changed.
I beg to differ. It is not pocket change when you're already on the hook for over 15 million dollars in buyout money. It seems odd to me that several of us in the media were told that Anderson's buyout was a flat one million and the contract extention was done for recruiting purposes. It was supposedly no big deal financially for the university.

Now we learn that if this season continues to tank and they decide to part ways with Mike they've got to cough up another 4 million plus pay off his staff and probably get ready to increase the salary of the head coach if they want to go after somebody out there who is a hot property.

You may think they have plenty of money to do this but that's not what the BOT has been suggesting lately. They say they want to reign in the spending for a while until  they're sure the football program is on sound footing.

ballinhog

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 06, 2018, 10:12:58 am

Bye!

Well thank you for the acknowledgement, that truly warms my heart. Ttyl my new pal 😀

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ballinhog on February 06, 2018, 11:47:15 am
Well thank you for the acknowledgement, that truly warms my heart. Ttyl my new pal 😀

Tush is a self proclaimed friend of Nolan and Mike.  It's what you get in hires like this. 

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 13, 2011, 07:20:43 pm

I would hope you are right because Mike is a friend and a good coach.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ballinhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 06, 2018, 11:52:50 am
Tush is a self proclaimed friend of Nolan and Mike.  It's what you get in hires like this. 

Ahhh ok I get it now. Thank you for the clarification. Makes sense

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2018, 05:12:29 am
Yes, 4 more years because it takes 11 years as a head coach at one program to get it all figured out...the mgmt of the program, the marketing to its fans, the recruiting process, how to coach the team given its talents, and how to hire the best assistant coaches. I feel confident in saying that by year 11 with Mike Anderson, the Razorback basketball program will be back in the top 15 and going to Sweet 16 and beyond annually. Just takes a while to get it going in the right direction...doesn't happen overnight with overnight = to 7 years.

100% agree.  Continuity is the key to long term success.  We should stay the course
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 06, 2018, 11:10:51 am
I beg to differ. It is not pocket change when you're already on the hook for over 15 million dollars in buyout money. It seems odd to me that several of us in the media were told that Anderson's buyout was a flat one million and the contract extention was done for recruiting purposes. It was supposedly no big deal financially for the university.

Now we learn that if this season continues to tank and they decide to part ways with Mike they've got to cough up another 4 million plus pay off his staff and probably get ready to increase the salary of the head coach if they want to go after somebody out there who is a hot property.

You may think they have plenty of money to do this but that's not what the BOT has been suggesting lately. They say they want to reign in the spending for a while until  they're sure the football program is on sound footing.
It is odd. You don't increase a coach's buyout by $2 million if there is any chance you are going to fire him 2 months later.