Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defense!

Started by bigdaddyhawg, January 13, 2015, 09:00:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Saturday, for the first time in the Mike Anderson era, I saw defensive flashes of the tough as nails defense we used to play under Nolan.

We played tenacious D.  We pressured, but did it with smarts.  We didn't give up very many easy baskets, and our rebounding was pretty good (for us, at least).  What Vandy got they earned.

I was so encouraged by the significant improvement over some of the weak, poor defensive play from early in the season.

But tonight ... there was no remnant of all those keys from Saturday.

We gave up tons and tons of easy baskets.  We made stupid fouls.  We did a poor rebounding job.

But worst of all, we didn't hustle.  No exaggeration here: there were so many times in the first half it looked like we were sleepwalking, the team was so indifferent about their defensive effort.

The offense and shooting may come and go, especially on the road.  But defense is supposed to travel.  A team can play tough, tenacious, smart defense anywhere, regardless of the crowd, or anything else.

I'm sure we will get back to that tough, smart defense I saw Saturday, in fact, I know we will.  But there is no excuse for what we saw tonight.

And, honestly, I don't have a clue what the problem really is: poor team leadership, poor coaching, guys reading their own press clippings, or simply a lack of overall IQ on this team.

I do know it's Mike's job to get it fixed.

I do not envy him that job.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

code red

Good truthful post.......might wanta save copy and paste for next road game thread...sigh!!!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BadHog

You said it well BDH! What happened between Saturday and Tuesday. I have my suspicions....
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."