Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official 2017 Masters Thread

Started by Hawgndaaz, April 06, 2017, 09:09:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2017, 04:06:47 pm
Official choke job has started by Sergio. I usually don't pull for him, but I hope he can finally win one and not pass Mrs. Doubtfire in starts without a win in a major.
He still has a chance after that shot!

PonderinHog

All square in match play going down the home stretch at Augusta!

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

PonderinHog

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

PonderinHog

PonderinHog

ricepig

ricepig

PonderinHog

PonderinHog

PonderinHog

GolfNut57

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 09, 2017, 06:04:50 pm
Extra innings...

Until someone calls in via email/phonecall to report an alleged rules infraction.  ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Dudes can't putt, atrocious.......

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2017, 06:07:03 pm
Dudes can't putt, atrocious.......
Somebody won't sleep well tonight.

GolfNut57

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 09, 2017, 06:09:47 pm
Somebody won't sleep well tonight.

Whichever one loses between Rose and Garcia will be seeing that putt on the 18th over and over and over as they toss and turn tonight.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Got the feeling that if Garcia doesn't pull this one out today he never will win a major.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 09, 2017, 06:14:05 pm
It's like the wreck you know is coming but yet you still watch..
This will not be remembered as a quality Masters by any stretch of imagination but it will have a lot of drama. 

Winning score last year was -5

I'd say -9 by two guys is pretty high quality. But this ones gonna hurt for probably Sergio unfortunately.

PonderinHog

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 09, 2017, 06:14:20 pm
Got the feeling that if Garcia doesn't pull this one out today he never will win a major.

That's what they said in 2007.......seriously, I fully expected him to fold like a cheap lawn chair on the back 9, he's hung in there.

Boarcephus

The shot Rose hit looks like something I would have hit.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Sergio's girlfriend looks better with her sunglasses on......

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 09, 2017, 06:24:16 pm
The shot Rose hit looks like something I would have hit.

I've got that punch it 25 yards under the tree shot in my bag.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2017, 06:23:10 pm
That's what they said in 2007.......seriously, I fully expected him to fold like a cheap lawn chair on the back 9, he's hung in there.
The monkey on his back feels like a gorilla right now.

majestic

This will not be remembered as a quality Masters by any stretch of imagination 
Why? It's looking great to me.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2017, 06:26:30 pm
I've got that punch it 25 yards under the tree shot in my bag.
Braggart!

PonderinHog

GolfNut57

Boarcephus

PonderinHog

It's like the wreck you know is coming but yet you still watch..
This will not be remembered as a quality Masters by any stretch of imagination but it will have a lot of drama.
The Spaniard would like a word with you.

Dr. Starcs

majestic

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 09, 2017, 06:35:33 pm
I'm happy for Sergio.
So am I. I guess 69 committed suicide? (I hope not)

zane

Glad to see him get it. He deserved it.
RIP LSUfan

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

PonderinHog

Boarcephus

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 09, 2017, 07:47:04 pm
Fowler?  Garrigus ???

Probably Fowler.  Can't really count Westwood anymore.  Have to throw Kuchar in there towards the top. 

PonderinHog

What about Jon Rahm?  Probably too early for that list, but he got game.

Boarcephus

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 09, 2017, 08:07:27 pm

I think the time has come and gone for Westwood and Kuchar. 

I didn't realized Kuchar was as old as he is, turns 40 next year.

cosmodrum

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 09, 2017, 07:41:26 pm
It was entertaining - in this sort of way:

But I agree that it was good to see Sergio finally get the monkey of his back....

Who is the BPTNWAM now? 

Lee Westwood
Go away, batin'

Jackrabbit Hog

As almost always, the Masters delivered great theater yesterday.  I had picked Rose prior to the tournament but as it became apparent the last few holes that it was a two man race, I found myself pulling for Sergio.  Maybe it was because Rose already has a major so I felt the disappointment wouldn't be as scarring for him.  Anyway, good for him and it's probably the last thing he needed for his HoF resume. 

Oh, and check the final leaderboard.  We're gonna get smoked at the next Ryder Cup. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 10, 2017, 06:28:27 am
As almost always, the Masters delivered great theater yesterday.  I had picked Rose prior to the tournament but as it became apparent the last few holes that it was a two man race, I found myself pulling for Sergio.  Maybe it was because Rose already has a major so I felt the disappointment wouldn't be as scarring for him.  Anyway, good for him and it's probably the last thing he needed for his HoF resume. 

Oh, and check the final leaderboard.  We're gonna get smoked at the next Ryder Cup. 

Nah.......we'll cut their hamstring, they'll get their weight back on their back leg and never be able to follow through.......push everything to the right.....

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2017, 07:41:28 am
Nah.......we'll cut their hamstring, they'll get their weight back on their back leg and never be able to follow through.......push everything to the right.....

Mitch?  Mitch Cumstein??
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Sergio hit nothing but one great shot after another starting with the approach to 13.  If he could putt he would have won it in regulation, but his ball striking over the last 5-1/2 holes was magnificent.

Good for Garcia.  I don't know why I don't root for Justin Rose.  He seems like a nice enough guy and showed a lot of class both right after the round and in interviews later.  I don't dislike him, but I didn't want him to win.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 10, 2017, 12:16:59 pm
Sergio hit nothing but one great shot after another starting with the approach to 13.  If he could putt he would have won it in regulation, but his ball striking over the last 5-1/2 holes was magnificent.

Good for Garcia.  I don't know why I don't root for Justin Rose.  He seems like a nice enough guy and showed a lot of class both right after the round and in interviews later.  I don't dislike him, but I didn't want him to win.

Ball-striking has never been Sergio's issue.  It's been putting - putting 10 feet and in to be exact. 

Well, and that six-inch space between his big ears.  That's always been a problem but I honestly think he's gotten that under control now.

As for Rose, I think he's one of the classier guys on tour and I find myself rooting for him a lot.  I've never heard anyone, not a former player, not a member of the media, say or write a bad thing about him.  I suspect you're not really a fan because he denied Phil at Merion a few years back.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 10, 2017, 12:41:50 pm
Ball-striking has never been Sergio's issue.  It's been putting - putting 10 feet and in to be exact. 

Well, and that six-inch space between his big ears.  That's always been a problem but I honestly think he's gotten that under control now.

As for Rose, I think he's one of the classier guys on tour and I find myself rooting for him a lot.  I've never heard anyone, not a former player, not a member of the media, say or write a bad thing about him.  I suspect you're not really a fan because he denied Phil at Merion a few years back.

There's probably some truth to that, although Phil denied himself more than anyone did it to him.  The bogey when he flew it way over the incredibly short par 3 on the back nine Sunday was ridiculous.  "Just hitting the obvious shot" and "Phil" should never be uttered in the same sentence.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 10, 2017, 12:41:50 pm

I found myself not pulling against Rose as much as I was pulling for Sergio. Rose was a classy dude in the post tournament interviews.  I've watched several documentaries on Sergio in the last year or so and the Sergio of today is nothing like the Sergio 20 years ago.  To say he's battled those inner demons is an understatement.  He said he's tried to make peace with Tiger and Tiger is not really interested but I did see where Tiger tweeted out congrats to Sergio.  I'm tickled he won and wouldn't care if Rose won the next one. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 10, 2017, 01:28:00 pm
Some articles today bring up some of the old problems with Sergio in terms of his relations with the crowds in the early 2000's as part of a rationale on why some people don't cheer for him.

He addressed that to an extent when he said he's quit fighting things he can't fight.

Jackrabbit Hog

Some articles today bring up some of the old problems with Sergio in terms of his relations with the crowds in the early 2000's as part of a rationale on why some people don't cheer for him.  Fair enough I suppose.  But isn't it strange that an Augusta crowd (which should be as upper crusted as any on tour) can seem to let the past go with respect to Sergio and root for him.  No doubt some portion of this is attributable to Seve and Olazabal but Sergio does seem to be a different (should we say more mature) individual...

While I think in Sergio's case much of the change in fan attitude toward him is because of Sergio's own maturity and adjustment (to his credit), there's a whole list of athletes throughout history that crowds despised until they got old, and then suddenly they became crowd favorites despite still acting the same way as always.  See Connors, Jimmy.  See McEnroe, John.  Heck, to a much lesser extent, see Nicklaus, Jack.  No, Jack was never anything but classy, but crowds viewed him as Arnie's foil for many years so he just never really attained crowd favor until Arnie faded from contention on the regular tour.  Ironically, it was a loss (to Tom Watson at the British in the "Duel in the Sun") that really turned the tide of the fans into Jack's corner.

My point is, seems that the longer you hang around, the more crowds will start to root for you regardless of how you act.

EastexHawg

Some articles today bring up some of the old problems with Sergio in terms of his relations with the crowds in the early 2000's as part of a rationale on why some people don't cheer for him.  Fair enough I suppose.  But isn't it strange that an Augusta crowd (which should be as upper crusted as any on tour) can seem to let the past go with respect to Sergio and root for him.  No doubt some portion of this is attributable to Seve and Olazabal but Sergio does seem to be a different (should we say more mature) individual...

I always thought Sergio got a bum rap.  In particular he was taken to the woodshed over comments about Tiger when what he was saying was probably not only true but also what a lot of other people were thinking.  Back when he made the remark about how the conditions he was playing in would have caused the round to be suspended if Tiger has been on the course I was already thinking the same thing.

Sergio was never the player Tiger was, but taking more strokes to hole your golf ball doesn't make your thoughts invalid.