Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Star Players

Started by Hogswarts, March 10, 2018, 04:31:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogswarts

I definitely don't know as much about basketball as many, but how does a team full of 3 stars, like Tennessee, become this good? I'm not trying to start an argument, serious question. Is it just good team chemistry? Coaching? Maybe the margin of difference in recruiting ranking is smaller than you might think.

010HogFan

Dr. Starcs

I don't know. But we split with them

TheRazorback500

They play as a team, space, screen, you know, fundamentals! What we've forgotten today.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

BenDial

Some of it is that the staff evaluated better than the recruiting services. They were 4* players with a 3* rating.

TNhawgfan

I watch UT a lot. No one knew how good admiral and grant were going to be. Sometimes people are wrong
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TheRazorback500

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 10, 2018, 04:38:19 pm
I watch UT a lot. No one knew how good admiral and grant were going to be. Sometimes people are wrong
Bone and Daniels sure came out of nowhere!
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Letsroll1200

Schofield and Williams are workers. Those kids know the game. It's recruiting!

rtr

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on March 10, 2018, 04:40:02 pm
Bone and Daniels sure came out of nowhere!
This.  Bone absolutely set the tone in the first half.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on March 10, 2018, 04:34:39 pm
They play as a team, space, screen, you know, fundamentals! What we've forgotten today.

We rarely play fundamental basketball.

GoHogzzGo

Coaching coaching coaching. Brad Stevens shows you all you need to know. Talent is a major component but coaching trumps all.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

razorpimp

What makes them so good is having a guy like Williams that you can throw it into and score more often than not....Gafford is really close to that as a freshman

forrest city joe

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 10, 2018, 04:32:19 pm
Coaching.
Coaching.Mike Anderson had beat Rick Barnes 3 or 4 games in a row before today.3 stars or not,TN has some big time players.getting a split with them this year was big time.

raz1965

When your team shoots well, don't matter if it a 2 star or 5 star you look great. It was Tenn day , but the hogs are alive for the big dance. Be happy for Tenn if they knock Kentucky off, but really figure they spent there change today.

ballinhog

We have 3 great players as well but we have way too many wasted scholarships. Way too many guys on our roster playing heavy minutes give us nothing at all. Today Gabe O, Thompson, CJ Jones, Bailey and Cook combined for

3 points 5 rebounds 1 assist 0 steals and 0 blocks.

That's a huge chunk of our roster giving us nothing at all. I hope Mike does a better job in the future of filling out the roster. Never seen a team with 3 great college players be so average. Best 2 guard combo in SEC and an NBA center and we go 23-11 and 12-9.

Very average.

kp72204

They all played together for a couple of years (3 I believe). Its as simple as if Macon/Barford have a bad game or it both have bad games the result is obvious. We rarely get anything from anybody not named Gafford. It's a big deal when Jones or Beard or Hall does anything. I think Hall needs another year or two and he'll be really good. I hope we do have a #6 seed for the tournament. Was still a good season IMO.

alohawg

Quote from: rtr on March 10, 2018, 04:42:04 pm
This.  Bone absolutely set the tone in the first half.

That Tennessee dog Bone stuck our pigs today.....but in fairness our bone headed coach made it easier for them too.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

010HogFan

Quote from: ballinhog on March 10, 2018, 05:01:34 pm
We have 3 great players as well but we have way too many wasted scholarships. Way too many guys on our roster playing heavy minutes give us nothing at all. Today Gabe O, Thompson, CJ Jones, Bailey and Cook combined for

3 points 5 rebounds 1 assist 0 steals and 0 blocks.

That's a huge chunk of our roster giving us nothing at all. I hope Mike does a better job in the future of filling out the roster. Never seen a team with 3 great college players be so average. Best 2 guard combo in SEC and an NBA center and we go 23-11 and 12-9.

Very average.

These guys coming in the next couple years have GOT to be better than what we are getting from those guys? right?? I would sure think so.

rude1

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 10, 2018, 05:04:14 pm

These guys coming in the next couple years have GOT to be better than what we are getting from those guys? right?? I would sure think so.
Either they need to be better, or we need to slow the game down and got to a 7 man rotation and quit this throwing guys out there just so we can say how much we use our bench. Probably would have had more wins this season if this had been done.

Hoggish1

Quote from: BenDial on March 10, 2018, 04:38:07 pm
Some of it is that the staff evaluated better than the recruiting services. They were 4* players with a 3* rating.

I have little patience for recruiting services.  If you can't trust your coach to recruit who he wants for his style there will be a huge problem regardless of the star rating of a player brought in...

ballinhog

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 10, 2018, 05:04:14 pm

I think with this current group of freshmen and the upcoming class he has done a better job. Chaney is better right now than any interior player we currently have besides Gafford. Ethan Henderson should be an upgrade as well just based on his athleticism alone. Hopefully Hall plays more at the 4 next year as well. And none of our guards next year will give us what Macon and Barford gave this year but we will have much more depth at guard so that should help as well

I think our assist number will go way up next year. We will have better passing guards. Guys like Joe, Harris and if Garland is cleared all appear to be good assist # type of guys. Just hope Gafford comes back. I think Phillips is a good passer as well. I see a lot of Ronnie Brewer and Joe Johnson in him. Not saying he will be as good as either of those 2 but his game seems similar. Tall, good handles, nice passes on his HUDL, and big scorer.

Rockoff

How about growing pains... went 16-16 last year but showed a lot of heart. Lost some close games and returned all but 1 player from that team.

ballinhog

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 05:06:51 pm
Either they need to be better, or we need to slow the game down and got to a 7 man rotation and quit this throwing guys out there just so we can say how much we use our bench. Probably would have had more wins this season if this had been done.

Every time Gafford, Macon and Barford all have these long stretches on the bench with no foul trouble I keep asking myself are we even trying to win. we had nowhere near enough talent and depth at guard this year to be playing the "fastest 40"

Those 3 should all average over 30 minutes a night and should be 2 of the 3 out there at all times.

Supermark101

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 10, 2018, 04:43:40 pm
Coaching.Mike Anderson had beat Rick Barnes 3 or 4 games in a row before today.3 stars or not,TN has some big time players.getting a split with them this year was big time.

Let's see what the record is when Barnes is in year 7.

alohawg

Quote from: ballinhog on March 10, 2018, 05:21:42 pm
Every time Gafford, Macon and Barford all have these long stretches on the bench with no foul trouble I keep asking myself are we even trying to win. we had nowhere near enough talent and depth at guard this year to be playing the "fastest 40"

Those 3 should all average over 30 minutes a night and should be 2 of the 3 out there at all times.

Absolutely, but Mike, if nothing else, is determined......or stubborn.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

rude1

Quote from: ballinhog on March 10, 2018, 05:21:42 pm

I agree. It is handicapping us by resting our best players while the bench is producing so little. Those guys should have been 35 minutes a night players and to heck with the playing fast nonsense.

alohawg

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 05:24:22 pm
I agree. It is handicapping us by resting our best players while the bench is producing so little. Those guys should have been 35 minutes a night players and to heck with the playing fast nonsense.

He has to press don't ya' know.....
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

ballinhog

Just a few things could have really changed this season. 3 things actually and 2 of them aren't far fetched at all because they were already here.

If Whitt and Babb had never transferred and we could have won the recruitment of Tyler Cook this would be a top 10 team. A starting 5 of

C- Gafford
F- T Cook
G- Babb
G- Macon
G- Barford

Thats a top 10 or top 5 starting lineup. Oh what might have been

Now if Gafford leaves Mike has his work cut out because he has got to get an impact interior guy for next year.

ballinhog

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 05:24:22 pm

100% true

I have literally watched Duke and Kentucky win championships with 6-7 man roatations

Hell I watched UCLA beat us for a national title with 6 guys. They had 7 until Edney went down. They literally had 1 guy off the bench. Why does so many guys have to play. We give out way too many minutes to guys who produce nothing at all.

I mean I ain't trying to sound like a Debbie downer because we did have a decent and fun season. But we could be so much better if our best guys played the minutes they should play. And I always hear how great of shape we're in but to me it seems our players are always the ones saying they were just tired or worn out late in a game. And we're the ones using a deep bench. How the heck does that add up

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 10, 2018, 04:43:40 pm

After what I saw today, the last thing I'd think about is a bunch of guys with a "3-star rating" coming out of high school. It's once again proof that the rating is just the beginning, it doesn't mean you have to stay inferior to a 4 or 5-star guy. I saw a team that looked super strong at every position. They defended us, they moved the ball well, and I don't need to add to what has already been said about their ridiculous shooting.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: ballinhog on March 10, 2018, 05:35:11 pm
100% true

I have literally watched Duke and Kentucky win championships with 6-7 man roatations

Hell I watched UCLA beat us for a national title with 6 guys. They had 7 until Edney went down. They literally had 1 guy off the bench. Why does so many guys have to play. We give out way too many minutes to guys who produce nothing at all.

I mean I ain't trying to sound like a Debbie downer because we did have a decent and fun season. But we could be so much better if our best guys played the minutes they should play. And I always hear how great of shape we're in but to me it seems our players are always the ones saying they were just tired or worn out late in a game. And we're the ones using a deep bench. How the heck does that add up

2 things always amaze me...

1. We're 1 game away from the best coached game of the season...but cuz we lost the 3rd game in 3 days against the best team in the SEC, and suddenly our coach is being picked apart as a bad coach.

2. How is it that HV posters aren't HoF coaches by now? They seem to know the keys to every victory...AFTER each game. You wonder how many games we'd have won if we slowed down and played less players. You ever wonder how many we would've lost had we not played up-tempo?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

texas tush hog

Schofield is in his third year, Grant Williams is in his second and was Charlotte Observers player of the year his junior and senior years. One of only two players to ever do so.Jordan Bone was finalist for Tenneesee Mr Basketball as a senior. James Daniel is a fifth year senior. It helps to have them for two or three years to develop. Macon and Barford were only here for two years and Gafford only one and Beard was a marginal player from the beginning and Mike has done quite well with them. Wait till this next bunch is here for two years and we will see.

texas tush hog

Quote from: razorpimp on March 10, 2018, 04:43:21 pm
What makes them so good is having a guy like Williams that you can throw it into and score more often than not....Gafford is really close to that as a freshman

And he will be gone next year sadly.

SPAL

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 10, 2018, 05:47:02 pm

And he will be gone next year sadly.

Oh crap. Did he declare already? I hadn't heard. Odd timing to declare for the nba.

ballinhog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 10, 2018, 05:41:45 pm
2 things always amaze me...

1. We're 1 game away from the best coached game of the season...but cuz we lost the 3rd game in 3 days against the best team in the SEC, and suddenly our coach is being picked apart as a bad coach.

2. How is it that HV posters aren't HoF coaches by now? They seem to know the keys to every victory...AFTER each game. You wonder how many games we'd have won if we slowed down and played less players. You ever wonder how many we would've lost had we not played up-tempo?

Did I pick apart our coach or did I give my opinion on what I thought could help us be even better? If some like yourself have this reaction to a post like mine, I ask you then what is the point of this forum? Is this not a place for us Hog fans to discuss the hogs that we all love, I mean we're all here so we're obviously fans. I mean this is jumpball, this is a forum to discuss the Razorback basketball team. This is to discuss all things current, we can point out what we love about the team, we can point things we wish would happen, we can talk what might have beens and what we think will be.

If you don't like the opinion of Razorback basketball fans then maybe a Razorback basketball forum isn't the place for you.

I have even said in previous posts including this thread right here that I think Mike has done a better job recruiting talent these past 2 classes. I don't see how one could take this one post and say I'm picking apart Mike Anderson. But maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm slow and I don't get what I'm saying

MountieDawg

Macon and Barford are really good scorers... But so many time it is them dribbling around until they can take a step back 3.  They make a bunch but the offense is not played to create open shots for players its playing one on one basketball with highly skilled one on one guys on this team.
SEC!

rude1

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 10, 2018, 06:00:28 pm
Macon and Barford are really good scorers... But so many time it is them dribbling around until they can take a step back 3.  They make a bunch but the offense is not played to create open shots for players its playing one on one basketball with highly skilled one on one guys on this team.
Who else would you like to see taking the shot? We played to the strength of what the coaching staff recruited. Two guys who were comfortable creating off the bounce, and a bunch of role players who were more miss than hit when it comes to offensive production, other than Gafford.

oldman1015

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on March 10, 2018, 04:34:39 pm
Do they have plays?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

The_Bionic_Pig

Arkansas highest rated recruit didn't see any PT this season.  That alone may account for a few more W's.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: ballinhog on March 10, 2018, 05:56:20 pm
Did I pick apart our coach or did I give my opinion on what I thought could help us be even better? If some like yourself have this reaction to a post like mine, I ask you then what is the point of this forum? Is this not a place for us Hog fans to discuss the hogs that we all love, I mean we're all here so we're obviously fans. I mean this is jumpball, this is a forum to discuss the Razorback basketball team. This is to discuss all things current, we can point out what we love about the team, we can point things we wish would happen, we can talk what might have beens and what we think will be.

If you don't like the opinion of Razorback basketball fans then maybe a Razorback basketball forum isn't the place for you.

I have even said in previous posts including this thread right here that I think Mike has done a better job recruiting talent these past 2 classes. I don't see how one could take this one post and say I'm picking apart Mike Anderson. But maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm slow and I don't get what I'm saying

Ha ha...yes..."if only our coach changed his entire philosophy...we might've won more games." This is what CMA does. He goes deep into his bench cuz he believes in high tempo, and you can't do that with a short bench. If you don't see that as a negative statement about our coaches coaching ability, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You're correct. This is a free board for Hog fans. I don't care what you post...as long as you also give me the same tolerance just cuz I don't agree with you. If you are up for a good discussion of differing opinions, then us Hog fans are in the right place. I'm sorry if my rebuttal bothers you.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

ballinhog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 10, 2018, 06:39:17 pm
Ha ha...yes..."if only our coach changed his entire philosophy...we might've won more games." This is what CMA does. He goes deep into his bench cuz he believes in high tempo, and you can't do that with a short bench. If you don't see that as a negative statement about our coaches coaching ability, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You're correct. This is a free board for Hog fans. I don't care what you post...as long as you also give me the same tolerance just cuz I don't agree with you. If you are up for a good discussion of differing opinions, then us Hog fans are in the right place. I'm sorry if my rebuttal bothers you.

Bothers me? Something bothering me would imply there's emotion in this from me. There is zero emotion from me about anything anyone could ever type on this board or any board. And once again this is Razorback basketball discussion. My post was originally about Razorback basketball. Your post was about me. You didn't say you disagree and that Mike is doing what Mike always does. That would be a basketball post. I'm not gonna take the time and go back and see what u did say because I'm too lazy to but u said something along the lines of why does fans say this and that and blah blah whatever.

I will discuss Razorback basketball respectfully agreeing or disagreeing with you all day long, that's why I come here. But sometimes apparently I allow myself to get sucked into a personal debate about my post or your post.

This is my last word on this, unless it's about basketball. I hate when threads go off subject and get into pointless posts just like mine right here. I want to talk basketball and nothing else.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: ballinhog on March 10, 2018, 07:29:13 pm
Bothers me? Something bothering me would imply there's emotion in this from me. There is zero emotion from me about anything anyone could ever type on this board or any board. And once again this is Razorback basketball discussion. My post was originally about Razorback basketball. Your post was about me. You didn't say you disagree and that Mike is doing what Mike always does. That would be a basketball post. I'm not gonna take the time and go back and see what u did say because I'm too lazy to but u said something along the lines of why does fans say this and that and blah blah whatever.

I will discuss Razorback basketball respectfully agreeing or disagreeing with you all day long, that's why I come here. But sometimes apparently I allow myself to get sucked into a personal debate about my post or your post.

This is my last word on this, unless it's about basketball. I hate when threads go off subject and get into pointless posts just like mine right here. I want to talk basketball and nothing else.

It's fine. I'm not here to argue. But next time, read what someone says before you post about what they say. I discussed your post because that's what your talking about.

I also think that MA has a good formula for what makes a team go. It'll be frustrating at times cuz it'll get sloppy and non-elite players will get more playing time than they would on other teams. But that's the system. Having a short rotation is taking away from what CMA is. The amount of intensity he asks for each game would run a short rotation into the ground by the end of the season. Like someone mentioned before, there is a rotation that is just frustrating to watch that includes Gafford, Barford, and Macon on the bench. I don't know what that fix is, but we have won most games that are close and we're what...39-0 when leading at half. So, what he is doing is working...frustrating moments and all...

TushCrush

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 10, 2018, 05:44:12 pm
It helps to have them for two or three years to develop.
We may have a diamond in the rough with Bailey in terms of development. He's a good fit for the motion offense and full court defense. From Campti, LA to the big time. I hope he does it.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: TushCrush on March 10, 2018, 07:58:46 pm
We may have a diamond in the rough with Bailey in terms of development. He's a good fit for the motion offense and full court defense. From Campti, LA to the big time. I hope he does it.

I can't wait to see how Hall develops. He's very athletic and has a good motor.

ballinhog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 10, 2018, 07:45:15 pm
It's fine. I'm not here to argue. But next time, read what someone says before you post about what they say. I discussed your post because that's what your talking about.

I also think that MA has a good formula for what makes a team go. It'll be frustrating at times cuz it'll get sloppy and non-elite players will get more playing time than they would on other teams. But that's the system. Having a short rotation is taking away from what CMA is. The amount of intensity he asks for each game would run a short rotation into the ground by the end of the season. Like someone mentioned before, there is a rotation that is just frustrating to watch that includes Gafford, Barford, and Macon on the bench. I don't know what that fix is, but we have won most games that are close and we're what...39-0 when leading at half. So, what he is doing is working...frustrating moments and all...

" How is it that HV posters aren't HoF coaches by now? They seem to know the keys to every victory..."

Anyway besides all the irrelevant third grade crap, I don't think Mike should change everything that he's about.

I do however think he could do better at adjusting to the talent he has. We have a lot of players who provide nothing at all offensively, or on the boards.
To me, just my opinion, if the talent surrounding the main stars of the team produce as little as ours does, as a coach you should be able to adjust. Even Mike himself said in his early years here he couldn't really get into the "fastest 40" type of ball because we didn't have the depth.

Well now we do have depth just based on number of players but production wise we really don't. I just think we could be better to slow down a little and trim the rotation. My original point wasn't even really so much about the rotation itself, mainly I was trying to say he's not done very good surrounding our good players with good role players.

And as much as that is an obvious bashing of the coach, I also did say he has done a better job these last 2 classes. I don't think any of our freshmen are wasted scholarships, I do wonder about Gabe O but it's still early, he may still be a very solid role player one day. But I really like last years class and I'm very excited about next years class. So even tho I was negative, I still say I'm excited about the future. It seems as if even Mike realizes he missed on quite a few guys but it appears he's turned a corner.

I think next years new group is very very skilled and I can't wait to see them

ChicoHog

March 10, 2018, 08:36:25 pm #45 Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:58:28 am by ChicoHog
Tennnessee was on fire, no doubt.  They would have beaten just about anyone shooting like that.  They have some outstanding players, Williams was SEC player of the year, and a good roster whether it was developed or recruited.  Barnes is a good coach.  I would put him second behind Calipari in the SEC.  They play solid basketball. It was their day today.  Now we have a few days off and then the NCAA tournament.  Let's enjoy it. 

ranman74

does anybody know if garland will get cleared or not ?

BallHog1

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 10, 2018, 06:39:17 pm

You are correct
Our fans are bipolar
I guess these guys want Mike to change his philosophyevery year like Beleima did, everyone loved that.

ballinhog

Yea I think today even if we had great role players we would've lost. I felt like we played good D in the first half, they just couldn't miss.

Gah I was so frustrated lol I turned off for a bit at halftime because I was going crazy. I take it way too serious sometimes. It really matters to me. I even turned the Fla game off for about 5 minutes lol

Sometimes in these huge games I'll turn them off for a certain amount of time, like 5 real time minutes or so and then turn back and see the score. As if it will change anything lol

ballinhog

Quote from: ranman74 on March 10, 2018, 08:40:58 pm
does anybody know if garland will get cleared or not ?

I hope so