Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

XM Weather - refreshing the signal

Started by GusMcRae, September 17, 2013, 10:13:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

I flew about 8 hours or so over the weekend, to and from Brady (about 1.7 hrs one way) to pick up my 7 year old for the weekend on Friday, then back to Brady again Sunday, then over to Gainesville to pick up my step son (about 1.5 hours), then back home (about 1 hour). 
There was some weather going on Friday, and I noticed my XM weather signal needed refreshing on the way down, so I called the number right before climbing in to head back, and I told them that it would be about 10 minutes before I would have it on.  Never refreshed.

So Sunday, I called the number again before departing for Brady, I even waited and called them after I had it up and running while I was taxi-ing out.   I saw that it refreshed, saw some storm cells not in my flight path.  But then they went away, and I was right back to needing it refreshed again. 
So I called the number again at Brady after bringing the unit up while taxi-ing out.  Never refreshed.

I know my Garmin battery needs replacing, I have it ordered but it's on back order and will be another week before I get it.  Could this have anything to do with why it won't hold the refresher signal?  Right now it depends strictly on the power cable in the plane.

I'm about ready to cancel the xm weather subscription.  Constantly dealing with this refresher signal crap, always when I need it the most.

Any thoughts?
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Overall... No. Sounds like a software update may be in order... May be a good red board question... Or if mdh will check in, he may help...

I think they will run w/o the battery in it at all... So I think they are unrelated.
You are what you tolerate.