Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brent Venables

Started by Donny2665, September 25, 2017, 05:17:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny2665

Thoughts as a potential Head Coach?? 8)
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

jst01

Better jobs will want him as HC.

jackflash

hot sure wasn't he ask to leave Oklahoma

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgdavis

He just said he wants the job on the phone a few minutes ago.

In all seriousness I don't know much about him other than he seems to have some fire in his belly and we need a $h!t ton of that on this team and probably would want to prove himself as a head coach witch would also be a positive .

Arkansas Fan

I'd take him right now. I'd bet he's got the killer instinct that a first time HC would have and that Arkansas needs. Say what you want about him having tons of talent at Clemson, but I think he'd make our defense much better. Hopefully he'd bring in a good OC and we'd be ready to go.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jackflash on September 25, 2017, 05:20:17 pm

Nope.  Bob Stoops wanted him to stay.

When Venables was at the Atlanta airport waiting on a connecting flight to Clemson, Bob was on the phone with him trying to get him to stay.  Venables had initially decided to stay at OU, but he later changed his mind.  The opportunity to continue to be a sole main DC and a $400,000 raise (was making $400,000 per year at OU, and was going to get $800,000 per year at Clemson) was too much for him to pass up.

jvanhorn

Quote from: jackflash on September 25, 2017, 05:20:17 pm

That's because Stoops wanted to hire his brother as DC.  Oklahoma would take him back in an instant.  His brother has turned out to be average at best as DC.  Now the other one at Kentucky is doing a very impressive job.  He would be a great fit at Arkansas, but I am told he is pretty commited to seeing it thru at Kentucky.

onebadrubi

With Brent V you are getting someone who has performed on the highest stage but doing so with the top talent.  So the question is can get get the top talent here? 

GoHogs1091

Here are the 2 main aspects about Venables that shows just how good he is as a Coach.

First aspect

In his 21 years as a full-time Assistant Coach, his teams have 21 winning seasons, have been to 24 bowl games and have won 10+ games 17 times.

Second aspect

Bob Stoops at OU with Venables.

139 wins  (avg. 10.69 wins per season)    4 National Championship games    1 National Championship

It should be kept in mind that Venables was the Associate Head Coach for some of those years.

Bob Stoops at OU without Venables

51 wins (avg. 10.2 wins per season)    0 National Championship games

The wins per season average for Stoops went down and the National Championship aspect decreased after Venables left.

Clemson with Venables

60 wins (avg. 12 wins per season over 5 full seasons)   2 National Championship games   1 National Championship

4 wins this season, but I did not include them with the 60 wins above since this season is just a partial season.

Michael_E_Davis

Breaking:   I have an airplane tracker app,  and I am currently tracking an airplane from Fayetteville to Clemson.  I did a little digging around and found out the airplane might be loaded with cash to be unloaded in Clemson at midnight.  I will keep everyone informed.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

tahlahog

I live in okie land the fans wanted   venables gone. Stoops wanted to hire his brother. So he left.

George S. Pigton

I think there is a catch with him.  Why no HC positions before now, is he waiting on the perfect job?
Does he pull a Norm Chow in the interview room?  Just seems odd but, he could be another Kirby
Smart and just waiting on the best job. 

I really don't know but can he recruit, we need a guy who can recruit and put some fire in the bellies
of their players. 
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 25, 2017, 05:57:39 pm
Here are the 2 main aspects about Venables that shows just how good he is as a Coach.

First aspect

In his 21 years as a full-time Assistant Coach, his teams have 21 winning seasons, have been to 24 bowl games and have won 10+ games 17 times.

Second aspect

Bob Stoops at OU with Venables.

139 wins  (avg. 10.69 wins per season)    4 National Championship games    1 National Championship

It should be kept in mind that Venables was the Associate Head Coach for some of those years.

Bob Stoops at OU without Venables

51 wins (avg. 10.2 wins per season)    0 National Championship games

The wins per season average for Stoops went down and the National Championship aspect decreased after Venables left.

Clemson with Venables

60 wins (avg. 12 wins per season over 5 full seasons)   2 National Championship games   1 National Championship

4 wins this season, but I did not include them with the 60 wins above since this season is just a partial season.
How do you go to 24 Bowl games in 21 years? That is impressive.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on September 25, 2017, 11:31:11 pm

I copied and pasted that sentence from his Bio that is on their athletic website.  That must be a typo.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=205529403

Also, his Bio says that he has coached in 5 National Championship games.  He has actually coached in 6 National Championship games.  Perhaps the Southern Cal vacated NC game is not considered a NC game anymore (Southern Cal played an ineligible player in that game, Reggie Bush).

Donny2665

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 25, 2017, 05:37:18 pm
With Brent V you are getting someone who has performed on the highest stage but doing so with the top talent.  So the question is can get get the top talent here? 

Good Question! At this point, I would be willing to take that chance.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

IronHog

Quote from: Donny2665 on September 25, 2017, 05:17:36 pm

How does he feel about Bernt as a nickname?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

onebadrubi

Probably counting play off games?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Donny2665 on September 26, 2017, 11:38:06 am
Good Question! At this point, I would be willing to take that chance.

He certainly should have the connections, from there who knows.  Someone WILL end up giving this man a chance IF he wants it.  Time will always tell.

Hogtimes

Quote from: jst01 on September 25, 2017, 05:19:33 pm
Better jobs will want him as HC.

Yep...he would never take this job.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogtimes on September 26, 2017, 01:15:25 pm
Yep...he would never take this job.

He recently stated that he wants the Arkansas job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogtimes

September 26, 2017, 04:36:40 pm #21 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:56:29 pm by Hogtimes
Quote from: GuvHog on September 26, 2017, 03:08:19 pm

Yeah...... right.    LOL

al_pigcino

A really good coordinator doesn't always make a good head coach.  There is most likely a reason you don't see him a head coach already...........

RazorPiggie

I'd like a link of that.

Wildhog

To steal from Razorbackers...

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Do you just make stuff up just to do it 

I still think you're an elaborate troll who never breaks character.

Some Daniel Day Lewis this stuff.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

code red

Quote from: Donny2665 on September 25, 2017, 05:17:36 pm
Love it.  He'd go to several schools before he'd come here.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

GoHogs1091

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 26, 2017, 04:41:02 pm
A really good coordinator doesn't always make a good head coach.  There is most likely a reason you don't see him a head coach already...........

A lot of it has to do with loyalty, his loyalty to Bob Stoops.  He may have felt indebted to Bob because Bob hired him when Bob could have basically chosen any defensive Coach across the nation to join him when OU hired Bob.

Some of it has to do with timing.  There was one year his name was out there regarding the Nebraska Head Coach job, but OU was preparing for a conference championship game, and Venables publicly stated that his focus was on preparing OU for the conference championship game.  Venables seems to be very task at hand oriented and very detailed, which probably explains a lot his elite level success.

Based on what I have read, he was very close to getting the Missouri Head Coach job, but Pinkel got it instead.

I have read an article that stated Venables interviewed for our Head Coach job in 2012.  Jeff Long though chose the brown nose letter route.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Go to a pre Jan.1 bowl, change jobs and go to a post Dec. 31 bowl multiple times? 

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 26, 2017, 04:51:42 pm

Do you just make stuff up just to do it 

I still think you're an elaborate troll who never breaks character.

Some Daniel Day Lewis this stuff.

I refer you to reply #4 in this thread. I'm not the first to post that he said he wants the job. Be sure you know what you are talking about before you go attacking other posters. Besides, a guy with less than 5,000 posts calling a guy with over 45,000 posts a troll is embarrassingly silly.

rhames

Quote from: hawgdavis on September 25, 2017, 05:23:31 pm
He just said he wants the job on the phone a few minutes ago.

In all seriousness I don't know much about him other than he seems to have some fire in his belly and we need a $h!t ton of that on this team and probably would want to prove himself as a head coach witch would also be a positive .

Is this the post you are talking about Guv. Man, context clues aren't to hard to get by you

I also can't believe you used your 45k post count as a badge of honor. That's about 45k posts of worthless fluff you are always called out on.

So where have you heard he wants to job? Reading it here doesn't count

Nick Saban wants the job. See how easy that is 

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 27, 2017, 07:29:04 am

Is this the post you are talking about Guv. Man, context clues aren't to hard to get by you

I also can't believe you used your 45k post count as a badge of honor. That's about 45k posts of worthless fluff you are always called out on.

So where have you heard he wants to job? Reading it here doesn't count

Nick Saban wants the job. See how easy that is 

I got it from the guy you quoted. I've been a Hogvillian for 11 years and I'd doubt you know what a troll is any way. For your information, Hogville is the only board I'm a member of and the only board I post on so stop embarrassing yourself. You newbys need to think before you go attacking long time members.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 07:22:06 am
I refer you to reply #4 in this thread. I'm not the first to post that he said he wants the job. Be sure you know what you are talking about before you go attacking other posters. Besides, a guy with less than 5,000 posts calling a guy with over 45,000 posts a troll is embarrassingly silly.

Guv, you are full of it.  Back under what you said or you otherwise you lookoike you are FOS.  Provide where venables "recently" said that

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 07:40:08 am
I got it from the guy you quoted. I've been a Hogvillian for 11 years and I'd doubt you know what a troll is any way. For your information, Hogville is the only board I'm a member of and the only board I post on so stop embarrassing yourself. You newbys need to think before you go attacking long time members.

Hahahaha. Oh man.

Did you even read what he posted?

Also newbie? I've been here for around 11 years also bub.

GuvHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 27, 2017, 07:41:43 am
Guv, you are full of it.  Back under what you said or you otherwise you lookoike you are FOS.  Provide where venables "recently" said that

Ask the guy who posted it first. that's where I got the info.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 02:58:56 pm
Ask the guy who posted it first. that's where I got the info.

He was joking

Hence the "in all seriousness " line

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 27, 2017, 07:45:31 am

Hahahaha. Oh man.

Did you even read what he posted?

Also newbie? I've been here for around 11 years also bub.

Yes, I ready what he posted.

For a guy that's been here for around 11 years you sure haven't posted much. Your number of posts fooled me. My apologies for the newby comment.

DeltaBoy

He would be a Bear Bryant type hire.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 27, 2017, 03:00:26 pm

He was joking

Hence the "in all seriousness " line

Got it but he should have added the winking emoticon to more clearly make that point.

jst01

oh lord, this is classic.  GUV, check your sources more accurately. Especially when they are coming from 5 posts prior to yours and they are completely sarcastic and not serious.   

GuvHog

Quote from: jst01 on September 27, 2017, 03:05:38 pm
oh lord, this is classic.  GUV, check your sources more accurately. Especially when they are coming from 5 posts prior to yours and they are completely sarcastic and not serious.   

Yeah, I missed his sense of humor

Seriously though, I'm not joking when I say that Brent Venables is at the top of my list for the next Hog football coach. IMHO he would be a home run hire.

longpig

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 07:40:08 am

Lol you're not a king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Z5bpijUTY

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on September 27, 2017, 03:09:48 pm
Yeah, I missed his sense of humor

Seriously though, I'm not joking when I say that Brent Venables is at the top of my list for the next Hog football coach. IMHO he would be a home run hire.

Ok but that brings up a other issue...

Do you just believe what random people say on the Internet ?

Be a little more inquisitive before taking at face value.

jst01

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires

From this article, two names intrigue me...Mike Norvell who many people have already mentioned, and Tee Martin.  Martin won a title while playing in the SEC, pretty young guy, offensive minded and perhaps the great recruiter that it would take here.

GuvHog

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on September 27, 2017, 03:14:28 pm

Ok but that brings up a other issue...

Do you just believe what random people say on the Internet ?

Be a little more inquisitive before taking at face value.

There are some on here that I trust enough to take their word at face value, one of which is Mike Irwin.

There are others that I ask for a link from to back up their post if they post something as fact.

I know from personal experience that if someone posts something on this board as a fact, that person had better be fully ready to back up their posted fact with a link to back it up. If they can't back it up they will get crawled pretty good.

I'm also man enough to admit it when I goof up and I goofed up when I missed the posters joke about Venables saying he wanted the job.

GoHogs1091

Here is what Venables has done when coaching against some other notable Coaches.

1 win and 2 losses against Nick Saban  (all 3 games were NC games; the 2 losses against Saban were by a combined 12 points; a 7 point loss and a 5 point loss)

2 wins and 1 loss against Urban Meyer  (1 of the wins, Venables shut-out Meyer, the only time Meyer has been shut-out)

2 wins and 0 losses against Bob Stoops  (Venables held Stoops to an average of 11.5 points per game over the 2 games)

3 wins and 0 losses against Gus Malzahn  (Venables has held Malzahn to an average of 13.3 points per game over the 3 games)

1 win and 0 losses against Bobby Bowden  (a NC game win)

4 wins and 0 losses against Robert Petrino

1 win and 0 losses against Houston Nutt  (Venables held Nutt to 3 points)

Wildhog

I'd take Venables right now, but he's had other opportunities.  Not sure why he'd go to Arkansas.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

al_pigcino

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 27, 2017, 04:26:38 pm
Here is what Venables has done when coaching against some other notable Coaches.

1 win and 2 losses against Nick Saban  (all 3 games were NC games; the 2 losses against Saban were by a combined 12 points; a 7 point loss and a 5 point loss)

2 wins and 1 loss against Urban Meyer  (1 of the wins, Venables shut-out Meyer, the only time Meyer has been shut-out)

2 wins and 0 losses against Bob Stoops  (Venables held Stoops to an average of 11.5 points per game over the 2 games)

3 wins and 0 losses against Gus Malzahn  (Venables has held Malzahn to an average of 13.3 points per game over the 3 games)

1 win and 0 losses against Bobby Bowden  (a NC game win)

4 wins and 0 losses against Robert Petrino

1 win and 0 losses against Houston Nutt  (Venables held Nutt to 3 points)
This is his head coaching record?