Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL Combine shows how bogus most HS 40 times are

Started by Karma, February 21, 2015, 02:22:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfaniam

Quote from: LZH on February 22, 2015, 02:32:54 am
I am still fast.  A 4.25 is nothing.  I ran a 5.0 in high school but I just keep getting fatter and fatter.......

Ftfy
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hankweb

JJ Nelson, UAB wide receiver, ran an official 4.29 yesterday... My mistake...was a 4.28.

jgphillips3

Quote from: LJHOG on February 22, 2015, 10:05:59 am
6-1 298  not gonna impress too many teams

Well, remember that one of the supposed knocks on him was being too light so that weight is an improvement and gets him closer to the size people seem to think he needs.  He also has a good motor.  I really wish he would have stuck around one more year.  If  he had remained uninjured, he would have greatly improved his draft stock.

LZH

Quote from: hoghiker on February 22, 2015, 07:35:07 am
I bet that hand held , right? Faster, faster.

Are you making fun of me?  My HS coach said, and I quote, "you run faster in one spot than anyone I've ever seen".

Top that!

LZH

pfrg999

Quote from: jesterzzn on February 21, 2015, 03:57:54 pm
Listed 40 times are useless.  That's why every coach wants to use his own stop watch.  Not because hes necessarily more accurate than anyone else, but because he can have a consistent point of comparison.

999 times out of 1000 a person that claims to run a 4.3 is a liar.

Well I ran a 4.3... wait I mean...Damn you caught me... it was really more like a 40.3 ;) 
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

John Futrall

Quote from: jesterzzn on February 21, 2015, 03:57:54 pm
Listed 40 times are useless.  That's why every coach wants to use his own stop watch.  Not because hes necessarily more accurate than anyone else, but because he can have a consistent point of comparison.

999 times out of 1000 a person that claims to run a 4.3 is a liar.
I can run a 4.3.              (20 yards)

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: LJHOG on February 22, 2015, 10:05:59 am
6-1 298  not gonna impress too many teams
That is good size for a DT or a DE in a 3-4 scheme.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 22, 2015, 10:27:09 am
Well, remember that one of the supposed knocks on him was being too light so that weight is an improvement and gets him closer to the size people seem to think he needs.  He also has a good motor.  I really wish he would have stuck around one more year.  If  he had remained uninjured, he would have greatly improved his draft stock.

I think he might have benefitted from another year of SEC play and showing what he could do. Very few R/S Sophomores in the Combine. Pretty much have to be a overly dominate player as a R/S Soph to get any kind of notice at the NFL level and that is why they have him projected to be an undrafted FA Signee. Maybe a bit premature in going Pro.

That said, now that the die is cast, I hope that he proves all of the projections wrong and becomes a dominate, big time, producing NFL player.
Go Hogs Go!

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: haveabeer on February 21, 2015, 10:52:35 pm
Think Matt Jones 40 time was something like 4.37, freakishly fast. No I don't have a link.
Bob Hayes ran a 9.1 100 yd dash, which equates to a 10.0 100 meter. Wonder how fast he could run the 40?

Bob Hayes might have been the fastest of all time. Won the 100 in something like 50 meets in a row. But was a FOOTBALL player who ran track, not vice versa.

A decade after his Olympic golds, there was a creature called "pro track". Pro track died when the amateur/pro distinction in track/field was abolished.

Anyway, the pro track promoters ran meets with races between pro football players, just for the gate appeal. At 30+ years of age, Hayes was undefeated against all the 4.1s and 4.2s and 4.3s coming out of college.

Hayes was kinda like Darrell Greene.  Everyone in the NFL knew that Hayes and Greene were the fastest guys in the league, in their eras. The "race" for second included everyone else.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 21, 2015, 09:25:11 pm

You guys have been tricked into caring how fast any athlete can run a 40 yard dash and thinking that it means anything

Well, it would seem the NFL is also being "tricked" into believing it means something.  Wonder why they would time all these players in the 40, if it didn't mean anything?
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Differences in the Track they are running on, electronic timers vs hand held. How rested are they just after the season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MJ2

When you get down to HUNDDRETHS of a second over 40 yards, a lot of things can influence that precise of a measurement.   The "lean" at the end could change the timing.

bigred223

Matt jones ran a freaking 4.36! I'll never understand how that guy was so fast.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: 31to6 on February 21, 2015, 09:35:27 pm
And most of those that do are not RBs.

Saw a recent list of the 4 fastest combine scores for SEC players on Saturday Down South. The top 4 40 times were all 4.32 and all were CBs (including Chris Houston).

When you put this all into perspective, it makes DMACs 4.33 even more impressive.
And a good number of them run track at the highest college level.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 23, 2015, 10:13:45 am
Well, it would seem the NFL is also being "tricked" into believing it means something.  Wonder why they would time all these players in the 40, if it didn't mean anything?
When it comes to the NFL draft you are looking at the best of the best of best.  Any additional bit of information can be used to make a differentiation.

Unlike baseball where you have hundreds and hundreds of draftable players from high school seniors to college players who could have been in college for 3 to 5 years. Then throw in the Latin American players.