Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Archie Manning- Spoke last night

Started by BOAR_N2BWILD, February 20, 2015, 07:35:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BOAR_N2BWILD

at Harding University. Great speaker. He mentioned that he was interested in playing for Arkansas but that Arkansas did not offer him  a scholarship. He stated that if Arkansas wold have offered he would have definitely been a Razorback.

Just an interesting comment to help pass the time till spring football.
Go Hogs.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Hogeration

Thanks.  That's a cool little piece of trivia.  I've never heard that before.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Boarcephus

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on February 20, 2015, 07:35:25 pm
at Harding University. Great speaker. He mentioned that he was interested in playing for Arkansas but that Arkansas did not offer him  a scholarship. He stated that if Arkansas wold have offered he would have definitely been a Razorback.

Go Hogs.

Interesting because that's not what he alluded to in The Book of Manning.   His dad was from Mississippi, he loved Mississippians and he loved Mississippi football and he wanted to please his dad. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 20, 2015, 08:23:40 pm
Interesting because that's not what he alluded to in The Book of Manning.   His dad was from Mississippi, he loved Mississippians and he loved Mississippi football and he wanted to please his dad.

Beat me to it.

Having always admired the Ole Miss Rebels and legendary Rebel and New York Giants QB Charlie Conerly, the tall, skinny Mississippi kid signed to play football for coach John Vaught in Oxford.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hawghiggs

The Archie can have a big bucket of STFU.

Calling All Hogs

Sounds like Archie had a Brian Williams moment. If true though, what a blunder.  It means Arkansas had to get by with just Bill Montgomery and Joe Ferguson as a result of this oversight. How did we ever survive?

Ex-Trumpet

Go Hogs.

Is he planning on running for governor in Arkansas or something?!?!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

BOAR_N2BWILD

He was just being complimentary of Arkansas football history and even where it is going now.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

staffhog

I have to lean toward him preaching to the choir on this one.  He was a Rebel all the way.

He was at his greatest against us in the Sugar Bowl, he ran through us like a big bowl of stewed prunes.

Dr. Starcs

kp72204

Beat me to it. Great documentary as well

redeye

We were having more recent success, so it wouldn't surprise me any if he's being honest.  Not like we don't have a history with this sort of thing.

hogcard1964

One of the most over rated quarterbacks to ever play.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 21, 2015, 07:19:47 am

Naw...just on maybe the worst teams to ever play.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

atekido

I am pretty sure that goes to just about every QB that has come out of Arkansas that the fans have hyped up before they ever threw a pass in college lol.

oldhawg

Quote from: staffhog on February 20, 2015, 10:13:40 pm
I have to lean toward him preaching to the choir on this one.  He was a Rebel all the way.

He was at his greatest against us in the Sugar Bowl, he ran through us like a big bowl of stewed prunes.

Reaching way back into my memory, seems like I remember an "old" rumor that a number of key Razorback players were up partying well into the night in New Orleans the night before the game -- not that I blame them.  Any of you older folks remember that, or is it just one of my delusional moments.

Hogarusa

Perhaps he was just playing to his pro Razorback audience.  Every artist i have ever seen has told us we were the best and craziest crowd of the entire tour
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

TrueBlue

Biggest memory I have of Archie is of him on TV glowing about being the head of the committee that just hired Nutt and how he was going to resurrect Ole Miss football and wondered why Arkansas fans didn't want him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 21, 2015, 09:49:11 am
Biggest memory I have of Archie is of him on TV glowing about being the head of the committee that just hired Nutt and how he was going to resurrect Ole Miss football and wondered why Arkansas fans didn't want him.

We all have our delusional moments. That was at least one of Archie's. But maybe that is unfair as Nutt (the proverbial side-show Carney snake oil salesman that he is) fooled a lot of folks in Arkansas for a good many years as well. When he went to Ole Miss, I laughed, knowing full well that they didn't understand what they had let themselves in for by bringing him to campus.
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 21, 2015, 09:55:49 am
We all have our delusional moments. That was at least one of Archie's. But maybe that is unfair as Nutt (the proverbial side-show Carney snake oil salesman that he is) fooled a lot of folks in Arkansas for a good many years as well. When he went to Ole Miss, I laughed, knowing full well that they didn't understand what they had let themselves in for by bringing him to campus.

And they caught on to his act for quicker than the folks here did.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 21, 2015, 09:57:26 am
And they caught on to his act for quicker than the folks here did.

To their credit, yes they did. He didn't have the "homeboy", "connected", "love the helmet" card to play down there.
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 21, 2015, 09:59:21 am
To their credit, yes they did. He didn't have the "homeboy", "connected", "love the helmet" card to play down there.

Or a senile old man to protect him.  A younger Frank would have pulled the plug long before it got pulled.

gmarv

yeah well they had 10 years of watching us learn about the man.and they still wanted the guy bad.

Boarcephus

Quote from: gmarv on February 21, 2015, 10:06:06 am
yeah well they had 10 years of watching us learn about the man.and they still wanted the guy bad.

Yep, that's a call they made that had you scratching your head.

Albert Einswine

Y'all don't get it. The reason Ole Piss thought they had really pulled a coup with Nutty is because of the delusional way they view themselves and their program. Always in the back of their minds is the image of their former glory with Johnny Vaught and his mastery of Frank and the Razorbacks.

They feel they're the superior program, SEC bluebloods, and that we're beneath them. Without bothering to look below the surface of it, they reasoned that if Nutty could establish such mastery over their superior program with lowly Arkansas just think what he could do at a real SEC school like Ole Piss.

The joke was supremely on them.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 21, 2015, 10:24:41 am
Y'all don't get it. The reason Ole Piss thought they had really pulled a coup with Nutty is because of the delusional way they view themselves and their program. Always in the back of their minds is the image of their former glory with Johnny Vaught and his mastery of Frank and the Razorbacks.

They feel they're the superior program, SEC bluebloods, and that we're beneath them. Without bothering to look below the surface of it, they reasoned that if Nutty could establish such mastery over their superior program with lowly Arkansas just think what he could do at a real SEC school like Ole Piss.

The joke was supremely on them.

No, I think we understand perfectly, we are still just chuckling at their demonstrated lack of understanding about who they were hiring.
Go Hogs Go!

Albert Einswine

What's funny is they fired Nutt, then turned right around and hired a homegrown Mississippi version of Nutt. Just watch it play out.

Justifiable Hogicide

Or his adoring lap dog Little Rock media.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 21, 2015, 09:35:07 am
Perhaps he was just playing to his pro Razorback audience.  Every artist i have ever seen has told us we were the best and craziest crowd of the entire tour

Yeah but what happens when he goes on good morning America and says little rock was? 

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 21, 2015, 09:49:11 am
Biggest memory I have of Archie is of him on TV glowing about being the head of the committee that just hired Nutt and how he was going to resurrect Ole Miss football.
Yes, wth respect to Nutt, Archie was Ole Miss' Quinn Grovey.

younghog

Go Hogs.

Also stated that Arkansas was the best team in 1969 that he ever faced and or seen. That his team was lucky to win that game.
GO HOGS

farmhawg

playing to the crowd.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ZERO

Nutt also went 4-8 and 2-10 back-to-back at Ole Miss, including a devastating loss to an FCS school. I'd like to think that if Nutt went 2-10 or 2-9 after his 4-7 season here, he would have been canned sooner.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Ex-Trumpet

I am truly amazed that after all these years people are still dwelling on Nutt. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 22, 2015, 09:41:05 am

Just shows how polarizing a figure he is.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 22, 2015, 09:41:05 am
He was that bad.

Paul

ghostzapper

February 22, 2015, 09:45:56 pm #39 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:08:34 pm by ghostzapper

Arguably the greatest college football qb ever. 

usf15cc

rickm1976

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 21, 2015, 07:54:22 am
Naw...just on maybe the worst teams to ever play.

Yep.  He was another Fran Tarkington, except with a better arm.  There's no telling what kind of numbers he would have put up if he had played for a better team.  Overrated?  Not hardly.

Boarcephus

Quote from: rickm1976 on February 22, 2015, 09:50:47 pm
Yep.  He was another Fran Tarkington, except with a better arm.  There's no telling what kind of numbers he would have put up if he had played for a better team.  Overrated?  Not hardly.

He was a bigger, faster version of Tarkington.  He did things to good defenses that hadn't been done before.  If memory serves me, Archie was around 6-3, 215 or so, fast and  elusive as hell.  Best thing about him, IMO, he was a total class act.