Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema Says Hogs Filled Needs AT WR

Started by Mike Irwin, February 08, 2015, 06:23:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

North Little Rock wide receiver K.J. Hill's decommitment from Arkansas and subsequent signing with Ohio State brought little response from Arkansas head football coach Bret Bielema on national signing day who simply said, "We always talk about the guys who sign with us."

Bielema and his staff inked three receivers in the 2015 class, each with a different skillset that fills a need at Arkansas.

At the top of the list is Coffeyville, Kansas Community College receiver Dominique Reed who fits into Bielema's plans immediately. "He was our  number one target at the wide receiver position that could just change the game for us instantly," the head Hog  noted. "He stretches the field and catches very, very well. I went and saw him play. His softness in his hands and ability to catch the ball is borderline freaky."
------------------
To read the rest of this story and to view the video version click on the link below.
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/bielema-says-hogs-filled-needs-at-wr/12838/NbLgLmXtVEaOv48zZ4gm3w

Vildsvin

Meh. Close enough for now but we definitely need to keep targeting receivers. Arkansas' style of offense would be much complimented by a receiver corps of a few decent set of hands anchored by one big time AJ Green type.

Boarcephus

One thing I never could understand was how we never had wide open receivers with the running game we had.  You would think that when teams loaded up to stop the run somebody would be wide open when we did pass and it never happened.  Petrino had the knack for moving defenses around to allow for this and I'm hopeful Eno will be able to orchestrate the same thing.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

tophawg19

the WR's were often open . the qb' couldn't get the ball to them on time. What most of our fans call open , doesn't happen in the SEC. You get narrow windows to throw through . our deep stuff was often open but under thrown giving the DB time to come back and make a play
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Boarcephus

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 08, 2015, 08:23:01 pm
the WR's were often open . the qb' couldn't get the ball to them on time. What most of our fans call open , doesn't happen in the SEC. You get narrow windows to throw through . our deep stuff was often open but under thrown giving the DB time to come back and make a play

Disagree man.  Petrino threw to them and Gus throws to them.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Coach got some good kids to stretch the field.  :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Southern Hogspitality

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 08, 2015, 08:17:50 pm
One thing I never could understand was how we never had wide open receivers with the running game we had.  You would think that when teams loaded up to stop the run somebody would be wide open when we did pass and it never happened.  Petrino had the knack for moving defenses around to allow for this and I'm hopeful Eno will be able to orchestrate the same thing.
The main difference is the quality of WRs Petrino had playing for him at the time.  Currently most teams in the SEC have DBs that they feel comfortable playing man coverage with our WRs.  Allowing their safeties to come in and "load up" against the run. 
When you have WRs who make other teams uncomfortable playing man coverage against is when they start playing their safeties in more of the pass coverage.  That is when the running game will open up more. 

arlhog

What can you say?   You got beat for the best in state player.  You have to say that  to make Reed look good.  But there is no way we wouldn't trade Reed for Hill on signing day anyway.  We will live to fight another day though.   If you want to run this offense, you're going to have to have some real threats on the edge.  You don't have to use them that much but you have to make the defense  defend the entire field, especially good defenses.   Maybe Reed can fill that need.  If you think about it, we are really close to having a really strong offense.  We have everything else, good line, good backs, good tight ends and our qb isn't as nearly as bad as people would like us to think.  I'm excited about this next season.   WPS   GHG

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: arlhog on February 09, 2015, 10:20:54 am
What can you say?   You got beat for the best in state player.  You have to say that  to make Reed look good.  But there is no way we wouldn't trade Reed for Hill on signing day anyway.  We will live to fight another day though.   If you want to run this offense, you're going to have to have some real threats on the edge.  You don't have to use them that much but you have to make the defense  defend the entire field, especially good defenses.   Maybe Reed can fill that need.  If you think about it, we are really close to having a really strong offense.  We have everything else, good line, good backs, good tight ends and our qb isn't as nearly as bad as people would like us to think.  I'm excited about this next season.   WPS   GHG

Are you talking bout the high school player who was declared ineligible and his high school team had to forfeit all their football and basketball games because of his ineligibility?  Granted, his step dad was the main culprit, but he had to have known what was going on.   Even high school kids are not that naive.  I don't care how good he is, if he would have been a major distraction that is not the kind of players coach wants on his team. He may well be a good kid but he is not the first one whose career has been tarnished by self indulging parents.There are hundreds of players we didn't get that no doubt could help us but you go with what you got.  People need to get over this episode involving this player.  We have an outstanding recruiting class and we will continue to make major strides with the players we have.  WPS
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

arlhog

You have some good points and yes we will do great things, but I still stand behind everything I said.  I'm not sure he's worth the drama either, but one thing is certain and that is you don't win championships without elite players and that's why people take the drama that comes with them sometimes.  Meyer and Saban both were willing to take it on and  they both have pretty good records last time I checked.  I'm not sure CBB didn't have a spot for him last Tuesday drama or not. 

Atlhogfan1

To me, this is going to be uncertain until Reed is eligible and on campus practicing.  Then we can entertain a discussion on how well this need was met. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

They were sometimes missed when we did whether it was the throw or failed protection. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TexArkHogFan

It may well be a moot point as I believe our tight ends will continue to be our main corps of receivers.  We have some good ones on board and new ones coming in.  It's gonna be hard to recruit an elite WR when he knows in most cases, he will be the secondary choice in a passing situation.  Of course, that's just me.  I ain't a coach and don't pretend to be. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TexArkHogFan

That's because they didn't practice running routes that ended up in the third row of the stands.

Dropkick

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on February 09, 2015, 11:54:37 am
That's because they didn't practice running routes that ended up in the third row of the stands.
This has gotten more than old. It wasn't like BA was throwing it 3 rows out when the receivers were open. It was obvious he was protecting against int's and sacks.

arlhog

Quote from: Dropkick on February 09, 2015, 12:14:48 pm
This has gotten more than old. It wasn't like BA was throwing it 3 rows out when the receivers were open. It was obvious he was protecting against int's and sacks.
True,   but you gotta agree it was pretty funny.  He threw it away just as he should and when he didn't like during our last drive against bama, he threw  one up for grabs that got intercepted and got blasted for it.     But it's still funny.

TexArkHogFan

You have to admit, that when he threw it away, it was way away.  lol.  I guess that's better than Mallet's throw against Alabama that he intended to throw away and it got intercepted.   

Boarcephus

LOL!!!   My whole point is we never seem to have a man wide open, you know, no one with 10-15 yards of him the way Auburn does or the way Petrino' offense did.  I just think it has more to do with the way a play is drawn up than it has to do with fast receivers.

Southern Hogspitality

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 09, 2015, 01:45:35 pm
LOL!!!   My whole point is we never seem to have a man wide open, you know, no one with 10-15 yards of him the way Auburn does or the way Petrino' offense did.  I just think it has more to do with the way a play is drawn up than it has to do with fast receivers.
Auburn's 2 WRs will play in the NFL, all 4 WRs we had when Petrino was here had a shot at the NFL.  One is doing well, one had a tragic injury, one surprisingly wasn't as good on his own, and the other couldn't hang on to the ball.  You include DJ Williams into the mix and that is a loaded receiving core.  The play calling makes a difference but great WRs makes a bigger difference. 

TexArkHogFan

The only receiver that fit that category was Hunter Henry.  I do recall him being pretty open more than once.  May have been the result of busted coverage or whatever, but I recall one touchdown where he was so open it was almost laughable.  Back to my earlier post, I am really Hog High on our tight ends.  We just may have the best group of tight ends in the country.  Good tight ends will get you in the end zone, just may take a little longer and a few more plays.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dropkick

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on February 09, 2015, 12:59:45 pm
You have to admit, that when he threw it away, it was way away.  lol.  I guess that's better than Mallet's throw against Alabama that he intended to throw away and it got intercepted.   
Yes, they were definitely "no doubters" when he decided to cut bait, lol.

PorkRinds

Quote from: arlhog on February 09, 2015, 11:41:54 am
You have some good points and yes we will do great things, but I still stand behind everything I said.  I'm not sure he's worth the drama either, but one thing is certain and that is you don't win championships without elite players and that's why people take the drama that comes with them sometimes.  Meyer and Saban both were willing to take it on and  they both have pretty good records last time I checked.  I'm not sure CBB didn't have a spot for him last Tuesday drama or not.

He was also not the number one player in the state, just for the record.

swinesation

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 10, 2015, 12:28:21 pm

Well yeah, I think he was.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Reed was the bigger need than KJ. We have a few quick, slot receiver types. We needed that speedster on the outside that can go up and catch the football. Thats Reed, not Hill. I would have loved to get both, but Reed was a bigger need right now.

PorkRinds

Pigsknuckles

Petrino also had the likes of  Mallett, Adams, Childs, Gragg, Hamilton, Crawford, Tuck, and Wright. Can't have enough of those kind of guys.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on February 11, 2015, 12:30:10 pm
Petrino also had the likes of  Mallett, Adams, Childs, Gragg, Hamilton, Crawford, Tuck, and Wright. Can't have enough of those kind of guys.

I understand that but Petrino had a knack of moving the defenses around to get men open. His was the one coaching show I loved to watch because of how he explained plays.  At the end of the show I felt like I knew more than when it started.  Nutt's show was always just a replay of the game and how so and so's had a good mom and dad and he's the pride of wherever. Even DJ and Mallett shined during the combines with their ability to diagram plays and explain how they worked.  I still maintain it the way a play is designed goes way deeper than just having quality receivers. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: Vildsvin on February 08, 2015, 07:29:06 pm
Meh. Close enough for now but we definitely need to keep targeting receivers. Arkansas' style of offense would be much complimented by a receiver corps of a few decent set of hands anchored by one big time AJ Green type.
Lol.....yeah....I suppose consistently having an AJ Green type of receiver wouldn't be a bad thing.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Hawgndaaz

I don't see how anyone could watch film of the two and want the other guy over Reed. He stretches the field immediately, and has been playing against decent JUCO talent. He's faster and taller, and fills an immediate need for the next 2 years. If he's successful next season, he will be a huge factor in bringing in his backup in 16.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 11, 2015, 03:11:10 pm
I understand that but Petrino had a knack of moving the defenses around to get men open. His was the one coaching show I loved to watch because of how he explained plays.  At the end of the show I felt like I knew more than when it started.  Nutt's show was always just a replay of the game and how so and so's had a good mom and dad and he's the pride of wherever. Even DJ and Mallett shined during the combines with their ability to diagram plays and explain how they worked.  I still maintain it the way a play is designed goes way deeper than just having quality receivers. 

Petrino's show was indeed informative. Chaney could have learned volumes from those episodes. Last season I would go "Oh no...here we go again" when we limited our options by retreating into our offensive shell (usually in the 4th quarter). I still believe that the talent level, and depth, may have predicated some of Chaney's decisions, but some of those late drives early in the season were hard to watch. Hoping that Enos can make us a little more unpredictable.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

My memory may not be the best but how many other Elite schools were knocking down the doors of all those decent to really good WRs that Petrino brought in.  I think the motorcycle rider may have developed those folks for the most part. Our current WRs are far better at blocking and occupying a defender than they are at gaining separation.  That is a huge part of their responsibility.
I also remember Petrino's WRs having the dropsy in the early part of their careers.  Of course the QB was knocking them down a lot too.

OTTER

You sir, are 100% correct!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Me too.. I would like to see some two WR sets with two TE's out of the One back formations. Man, Petrino could move those dbs out of the box in a hurry with some quick slants...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Chief Mac

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 22, 2015, 10:49:33 pm
Man, Petrino could move those dbs out of the box in a hurry with some quick slants...

unless it was Bama, LSU, or UF
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

texas tush hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 17, 2015, 02:47:43 pm
Coach is happy I am happy. 

And if coach is not happy, Jen is not happy and if Jen is not happy, ain't nobody happy. Oh wait.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 23, 2015, 07:15:16 am
unless it was Bama, LSU, or UF

....beat me to it. I get so tired of the "offensive genius" legend when the FACT is that, against "top 5" competition, Nutt's schemes worked better.

BP wins v top 5 at UA = 0
HDN wins v top 5 at UA = 4

Cinco de Hogo

Ha I suggest ya'll quit throwing everyone and their brother under the bus and give Enos the chance to prove we're the problem lay.  Going forward I choose to believe it was the guy that is gone and NOT the players and coaches we still have.  Better coaching of our QB's and WR's is going make some eat their words.  Better scheming for opposing teams will make the suttle difference that you might not notice except that you know SOMETHING is working.

thirrdegreetusker

JayBell

Arkansas had already brought in a solid class of receivers in 2014.  I feel like the only reason they didn't play more was because Bielema prefers players to mature physically and mentally before they get much playing time, at least when it makes sense.  You don't keep guys like Collins, Skipper, Kirkland and Henry on the sideline just because.  You also have to give playing time to others like Ellis and Coley because of how weak the unit is.

The new receivers that did play in 2014, Cornelius and Hollister, enrolled early last January.  Kendrick Edwards looked very capable and Jojo was a lot of people's favorite signing from the class.  Then you add three very explosive receivers (I think Pettway in particular is pretty underrated; he had offers from LSU and Auburn, and decommitted from Ole Miss) in the 2015 class.

I think Arkansas will be just fine at receiver.  You just have to give the young guys time to mature and work into Enos' system.

Rzbakfromwaybak

The reason the QB throws the ball out of bounds......is because the receiver is not open.....& that's what the coaches tell him to do.  Better to lose a down, than throw an interception.  This should be clear to anyone that knows anything about football.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Pork Twain

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 08, 2015, 08:23:01 pm
Not often the case, let it go.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 09, 2015, 01:45:35 pm

Tell me again how many times little bobby had receivers running free against Bama and LSU. I will hang up and listen because as many times as you think he did this is gonna take some time.................

supersaint

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 23, 2015, 09:02:39 am
....beat me to it. I get so tired of the "offensive genius" legend when the FACT is that, against "top 5" competition, Nutt's schemes worked better.

Boom.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Been10Hog

Quote from: TeedupHigh on February 23, 2015, 10:20:14 am
Tell me again how many times little bobby had receivers running free against Bama and LSU. I will hang up and listen because as many times as you think he did this is gonna take some time.................
This is very true and have wondered many times why people's memories are so flawed when it came to out passing game under Petrino against Bama and LSU. Joe Adams and Jarius Wright would say they were not wide open. The minute they caught the ball they were punished and planted firmly on their back. Bama and LSU have elite DBs.

Chief Mac

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 23, 2015, 09:02:39 am

that's gonna leave a mark
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: JayBell on February 23, 2015, 09:15:37 am
Arkansas had already brought in a solid class of receivers in 2014.  I feel like the only reason they didn't play more was because Bielema prefers players to mature physically and mentally before they get much playing time, at least when it makes sense.  You don't keep guys like Collins, Skipper, Kirkland and Henry on the sideline just because.  You also have to give playing time to others like Ellis and Coley because of how weak the unit is.

The new receivers that did play in 2014, Cornelius and Hollister, enrolled early last January.  Kendrick Edwards looked very capable and Jojo was a lot of people's favorite signing from the class.  Then you add three very explosive receivers (I think Pettway in particular is pretty underrated; he had offers from LSU and Auburn, and decommitted from Ole Miss) in the 2015 class.

I think Arkansas will be just fine at receiver.  You just have to give the young guys time to mature and work into Enos' system.
Typically, when I am looking at our WR's, I try not to count on any of the new guys to come in and make an immediate impact.  I'm not saying they won't, we just can't count on it. 
I do think there will be 1 1/2 exceptions to this:  1) Reed, although we typically don't see Juco's emerge until their second year, he could come in and immediately be a factor   1/2) JoJo-  I say 1/2, because he's not a "new" guy anymore.  I think he's going to come out hungry and ready to show what he's got.  He would have played last year had he not been injured.  And while we were all disappointed that we didn't get to see him, I believe he and the Hogs will benefit greatly from RSing his Freshman year. 

One WR I could really see having a breakout season is Hatcher.  He has underperformed, IMO, for most of his career, but seemed to come into his own last year (especially late).  It was well known that he and BA put in a ton of time together last summer, and it really started to show, with Hatcher making some grabs that I would have expected him to miss in the past.  I expect more of the same this summer from both these guys, and they will both hopefully pick up right where they left off starting in August.  Ugh, that's sooooo far away!!! I'm ready for football, even though I am thoroughly enjoying BB season for the first time in a long time! WPS!
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

bigbadhog

Either way, Hill should have been number one for us.  When you have an in-state prospect that good in an area where we were so weak, it makes that player a must get.  I believe BB did "fill the need" at WR because it is never going to be an important position to him...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 23, 2015, 10:24:04 am
This is very true and have wondered many times why people's memories are so flawed when it came to out passing game under Petrino against Bama and LSU. Joe Adams and Jarius Wright would say they were not wide open. The minute they caught the ball they were punished and planted firmly on their back. Bama and LSU have elite DBs.

It's a condition called selective amnesia.  It only affects those who are ignorant and/or have an agenda.