Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3-pt. and Pellphrey

Started by hogansas, May 09, 2007, 12:07:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogansas

Sorry if this has already been discussed.  If it has, just delete it.  Do you think that the NCAA moving the 3-pt. line back will affect Pelphrey's style.  If I am remembering correctly, he likes the tre.
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

jbcarol

He sure liked it as a player.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

mbgrulz

1 ft. isn't really gonna change anything for most 3 point shooters. what i'm hoping it will do is keep guys like vince hunter and charles thomas from shooting them.

will that rule be in place by the 07-08 season, or will it have to pass more voteings?

arkjay19

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 09, 2007, 04:31:35 pm
1 ft. isn't really gonna change anything for most 3 point shooters. what i'm hoping it will do is keep guys like vince hunter and charles thomas from shooting them.

will that rule be in place by the 07-08 season, or will it have to pass more voteings?

the rule won't be in place for next year and it still has to get approved by another vote first even for the 08-09 season.

cowboym

Quote from: arkhog9 on May 09, 2007, 06:07:16 pm
Quote from: mbgrulz on May 09, 2007, 04:31:35 pm

the rule won't be in place for next year and it still has to get approved by another vote first even for the 08-09 season.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4j3CQHJgFjGpvqRqCKOcAFvfV-P_NxU_QD9gtzQiHJHRUUAbGvNAw!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfTFU!?CONTENT_URL=http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_events/press_room/2007/may/20070503_bb_rules_committee_rls.html

INDIANAPOLIS – After years of study and consideration, the Men's Basketball Rules Committee voted to recommend extending the three-point line to 20 feet, 9 inches starting with the 2008-09 season. The dimensions of the lane will remain unchanged.

"We believe this alteration will provide more space between the perimeter players and post players," said Larry Keating, chair and senior associate athletics director at the University of Kansas. "There has been a tremendous amount of data collection and discussion on this issue and we believe this is the best option for the game and its future."

The Women's Basketball Rules Committee, which met concurrently with the men's committee in Indianapolis May 1-3, will maintain the current three-point line, which is 19 feet, 9 inches from the basket.

Also a significant change

In other significant men's actions, the committee:

Voted to alter its free throw alignment. This change will eliminate the first lane space nearest the basket on each side of the lane and using the present second, third and fourth lane space on each side of the lane as an alignment for free throws.

I am excited about Hog basketball for the first time since 1996. Go Hogs! WPS  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Cowboy M

slopinhogs

no it will open the lanes up more but most shooters won't be bothered by it when they finally move it.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Held Hawgstage

If GP is smart he'll ban the 3pt shooting for awhile and have them working on taking it to the cup. If anything was our Achilles heel, it wasn't the so called "Heath's lack passion" excuse, but our ability to shoot ourselves out of games. We need to take it to the hole instead of displaying "John Starks Game 7 of the NBA Finals" nightmare.

TheBossHog

southtxhog

I think that this won't have any effect on his style of play.  They are still going to run and shoot.  I think the difference is that this year they may make more.....even with the line moved further away from the basket.

Pelphrey has me pretty excited.  I know we have not seen his team play yet, but he is definitely saying all the right things.
Mr. Long, Coach Pel, and Coach Petrino.  The recipe for new success in The Natural State.