Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12 players accept 50 game suspensions

Started by ucahogfan, August 05, 2013, 01:00:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

None of the 12 players accepting suspensions today were born in the US.  Just think it is interesting that the only 2 players of the 14 born in the US are the two most note worthy.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9540076/mlb-suspensions-agreed-12-players-report-says

clutch

I'm curious about this ARod stuff. I'm wondering if MLB just doesn't have as much on him as they led on. Original rumors were that they were offering a suspension through 2014 if he took the deal, if not they were going for lifetime. They went with the 211 game suspension even though he is going to appeal.

Also, they were saying they were going after him through a player conduct clause in the CBA, but ended up suspending him as a multiple offense drug user instead.

clutch

I'm betting that's not the case though. I think they just didn't have enough to get him for obstruction yet. They needed to suspend him now for something and plan on taking on another longer suspension for the obstruction later on.

Oklahawg

Another version: MLB has the entire player's union on their side with the way they handled Braun plus the other 12. They will keep that goodwill flowing by going after A-Rod using the same methodology. They will not risk turning the players against them by choosing a different attack.

A-Rod cannot show (as easily) that MLB has a burr under their saddle for him (targeting him for extra). They have peripherals in the case (ie, Biogenesis folks besides the main source; other Biogenesis clients who aren't pro athletes) who have public social media posts about A-Rod.

The 12 + Braun took their medicine in the plea deal. MLB had to push past that level with A-Rod so that if the arbitrator sides with A-Rod and reduces the sentence it likely will be at least as much as the 50 games the dozen got.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra