Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike should develop a PR campaign

Started by ArkansasI, February 21, 2016, 10:11:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

We're all frustrated...

Mike signed some good jucos, but there was little publicity leading into those commitments. The recruit everyone was most interested in is going to Kentucky. The kids that chose the Hogs have been met with a shrug, when they should be celebrated.

Not sure I'm making my point here, but Razorback fans enjoy knowing who we're recruiting. We want to know that coaches are traveling to see talent, bringing highly sought recruits to campus and that the recruits are impressed with their experience.

Right now, we know little about what is being done to fix this thing. Is the new practice facility is having the impact we desire?  Are basketball recruits connecting with the staff?  What is the perception of Arkansas around the country?

I know Mike is trying. I'd like to know what the staff is doing. Patience might be cultivated with more information. Without it, we point solely to the head of the program.

When local guys leave home, we believe the practice facility is not having the impact we assumed it would, that players believe they must go elsewhere to make their dreams a reality...  What more can we do to keep our talent?

3kgthog

Start treating recruiting as a business. Family and education very rarely work as a pitch in basketball anymore. It's twice as dirty as football ever thought about being. Signing lifelong Hog fans and others with lifelong relationships with Mike isn't enough to turn it around.

We don't necessarily have to jump into the AAU cesspool, but we've at least got to show a willingness to stand at the edge of the diving board. Recruits know we aren't winning and they know Arkansas has only sent one guy to the NBA with a chance of sticking in the last 5 years. To put it bluntly, there's nothing sexy about Mike or Arkansas right now.

Finally, stop preaching defense if we aren't going to teach it. Chasing players from behind and hacking them isn't defense. This "press" we use is the longest running joke in the SEC. We're dead last (again) in defending the 3. We give up more layups and dunks than any team I've seen. The steals and turnovers mean diddly because we give them right back in 3-pt shots, FTs, and layups. Ben Howland teaches defense. Watch it. Embrace it. Learn from it.

elksnort

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 21, 2016, 10:43:16 am
Start treating recruiting as a business. Family and education very rarely work as a pitch in basketball anymore. It's twice as dirty as football ever thought about being. Signing lifelong Hog fans and others with lifelong relationships with Mike isn't enough to turn it around.

We don't necessarily have to jump into the AAU cesspool, but we've at least got to show a willingness to stand at the edge of the diving board. Recruits know we aren't winning and they know Arkansas has only sent one guy to the NBA with a chance of sticking in the last 5 years. To put it bluntly, there's nothing sexy about Mike or Arkansas right now.

Finally, stop preaching defense if we aren't going to teach it. Chasing players from behind and hacking them isn't defense. This "press" we use is the longest running joke in the SEC. We're dead last (again) in defending the 3. We give up more layups and dunks than any team I've seen. The steals and turnovers mean diddly because we give them right back in 3-pt shots, FTs, and layups. Ben Howland teaches defense. Watch it. Embrace it. Learn from it.
Good post.

ShadowHawg

If you are going to the edge but don't jump in then you don't get any of the benefits while taking on all the same risk. No thanks.

ArkansasI

Good post.

I was just referring to my belief that Mike and the program could benefit from some positive PR. We're not winning enough to drive interest, so give us something to be interested in.

Bret tweets a bunch. Mike - certainly TJ - might generate fan interest by letting us know they're in contact with players. I know they can't name names, but they could give clues that would give some of us hope.

We need something to draw our interest to this program. Having coaches miked (not just Mike) makes matters worse for me. These high dollar guys are not preaching brilliance.

Danny J

yep...I complain all the time about the same issues OP but it makes no difference. We are in the dark.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Winning is the only PR he needs. Also, I'm tired of being told to celebrate incoming recruits before they prove themselves. Its great that they choose the Razorbacks and we welcome them to the family, but they have to prove themselves on the court first before you short-sighted people pin the future of the program on them...over and over and over again.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 21, 2016, 10:11:26 am
We're all frustrated...

Mike signed some good jucos, but there was little publicity leading into those commitments. The recruit everyone was most interested in is going to Kentucky. The kids that chose the Hogs have been met with a shrug, when they should be celebrated.

Not sure I'm making my point here, but Razorback fans enjoy knowing who we're recruiting. We want to know that coaches are traveling to see talent, bringing highly sought recruits to campus and that the recruits are impressed with their experience.

Right now, we know little about what is being done to fix this thing. Is the new practice facility is having the impact we desire?  Are basketball recruits connecting with the staff?  What is the perception of Arkansas around the country?

I know Mike is trying. I'd like to know what the staff is doing. Patience might be cultivated with more information. Without it, we point solely to the head of the program.

When local guys leave home, we believe the practice facility is not having the impact we assumed it would, that players believe they must go elsewhere to make their dreams a reality...  What more can we do to keep our talent?

Totally agree.  do you know anyone who can tell him this.  I bet he is old school.  I wish he would leak out more stuff and keep us excited.  I could take the disappointments a little bit better if I thought we had a chance and our Coaches were busting their butts trying to land some very high rated stars.  Even some highly rated 3 stars as long as they fit our immediate needs.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: OperationRestoreHawgBall on February 21, 2016, 05:37:49 pm
Winning is the only PR he needs. Also, I'm tired of being told to celebrate incoming recruits before they prove themselves. Its great that they choose the Razorbacks and we welcome them to the family, but they have to prove themselves on the court first before you short-sighted people pin the future of the program on them...over and over and over again.

Many many others are not like you...  When we win on the recruiting circuit against a Kansas or another valued program then I see that as a WIN for our program and us moving forward.

ArkansasI

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 21, 2016, 07:07:55 pm
Many many others are not like you...  When we win on the recruiting circuit against a Kansas or another valued program then I see that as a WIN for our program and us moving forward.
Exactly. Besides entertaining fans, it might show recruits that their recruitment is media worthy - a big deal.

Again, all these things were done for Malik and it wasn't enough. This is my primary concern...  Regardless, one would hope it will help other recruiting efforts.