Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crosswind practice today

Started by gotyacovered, December 03, 2011, 08:11:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

Shot touch and goes today, 5 times, one go around at txk on 13. The rest were at m18. Wind was 130 to 150 16g25. 16/34 is closed so I used 22, almost 90*. Had probs consistently holding centerline, but overall I was excited at my performance.

On way to txk atis said it was 15018g36. I about chit my pants when I heard that. It wasnt blowing that hard though. Prob contributed to my 1st attempt on 13 that caused the go around.
You are what you tolerate.

Flying Razorback

I flew in and did some low approaches at TXK the other day. 

You can never have enough crosswind practice.  Do you use the wing-low method?  Or crab to touchdown?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

FaytownHog

The winds were nuts today. I would have crapped my pants trying to fly in something like this! It's good that you pro's get the practice though. Only way to be prepared for next time. Reminds me of watching what those guys have to do on Flying Wild Alaska.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on December 03, 2011, 08:33:32 pm
I flew in and did some low approaches at TXK the other day. 

You can never have enough crosswind practice.  Do you use the wing-low method?  Or crab to touchdown?

I did both, I am more comfortable crabbing in. I dont feel comfortable holding it centerline winglow/rudder. Takes a lot of effort, increases my stress levels b/c of so much control input and still have to manage the cockpit.

What do you do? Any suggestions?

I did have another "learning experience". I'll have to type it out hen I get on my computer though.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 03, 2011, 09:08:51 pm
The winds were nuts today. I would have crapped my pants trying to fly in something like this! It's good that you pro's get the practice though. Only way to be prepared for next time. Reminds me of watching what those guys have to do on Flying Wild Alaska.

I am far from a pro.

FaytownHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 03, 2011, 09:54:04 pm
I am far from a pro.
well, you're more pro than me! And practicing is what gets ya there!

Flying Razorback

I'm a wing low guy but my aircraft doesn't even allow me to land in a crab due to side load forces.  I was forced to become a fan of the wing low method and more and more I love it.  I enjoy being able to keep the nose down the center of the runway down final by nearly full yoke in to the wind and full opposite rudder. 

It also helps once on the runway because I don't have to worry about the wing raising up on me because I already have near full to full control in to the wind to keep the upwind wing pinned down.  I've had tooooooo many students release control input the second wheels touch the ground and nearly ground loop us in to a wing strike.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on December 03, 2011, 09:58:04 pm
I'm a wing low guy but my aircraft doesn't even allow me to land in a crab due to side load forces.  I was forced to become a fan of the wing low method and more and more I love it.  I enjoy being able to keep the nose down the center of the runway down final by nearly full yoke in to the wind and full opposite rudder. 

It also helps once on the runway because I don't have to worry about the wing raising up on me because I already have near full to full control in to the wind to keep the upwind wing pinned down.  I've had tooooooo many students release control input the second wheels touch the ground and nearly ground loop us in to a wing strike.

Your second paragraph has to do with my learning experience. The last thing my CFI said to me was, with wind like this, don't forget your not done flying the plane until its parked.

I'll type it up tomorrow or Monday.

gotyacovered

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 03, 2011, 10:52:08 pmI'll type it up tomorrow or Monday.

ok, so on my last landing, i was kind of in a hurry to get back to the FBO so i could hop in with a friend and ride up to FYV with him. so i land (13016g25, i was landing on 22--pretty much 90*s)

i land, on roll out my left main is on the right side of center, i am wanting to get back to center, so i start slowing down, cleaning up the airplane and (i guess subconsciously) i took the aileron out of it. i was probably going 45 and the wind gave it just enough lift that my tires started screeching. i shot across to the left side of 22. got it under control before i got to the grass, but i nearly chit myself.

i treated that landing like it was any other i have done. stupid #1. i wanted to slow down quicker so i didnt have to back taxi as far, b/c my buddy was waiting on me. stupid #2.

i have heard this so many times it makes me sick, and i didnt comply. your not done flying until its in the hanger.

bvillepig

Glad you are getting some work in. If it keeps raining up here with 200 ovc I am going to have to come your way.

FlyingRzrbkAF
I am a low wing guy to !!!     It would be fun to get that get that started.     Nah  If it flys or floats Im in.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on December 05, 2011, 03:25:55 pm
Glad you are getting some work in. If it keeps raining up here with 200 ovc I am going to have to come your way.

FlyingRzrbkAF
I am a low wing guy to !!!     It would be fun to get that get that started.     Nah  If it flys or floats Im in.

a guy at the airport at lunch told me it was snowing in NW Arkansas this morning, anyone verify this ??? but ya, the wx sucks.

my cousin (cherokee 180) his brother (cherokee 180) my other cousin (182rg) his dad (lanceair) my other uncle (navion) and myself (C-182) have plenty of discussions. my cousins with the 180's have a little "short man syndrome", so it tends to get ugly at times ;D

the lancair, its a turbo prop cranking 300+kts at 30gph (in cruise). its sweet. when he starts talking we all kinda shut up with our 230hp or less 130kt pistons. ;D

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 05, 2011, 04:02:44 pm
a guy at the airport at lunch told me it was snowing in NW Arkansas this morning, anyone verify this ??? but ya, the wx sucks.

my cousin (cherokee 180) his brother (cherokee 180) my other cousin (182rg) his dad (lanceair) my other uncle (navion) and myself (C-182) have plenty of discussions. my cousins with the 180's have a little "short man syndrome", so it tends to get ugly at times ;D

the lancair, its a turbo prop cranking 300+kts at 30gph (in cruise). its sweet. when he starts talking we all kinda shut up with our 230hp or less 130kt pistons. ;D
Would that be the Evolution?  It is quite a plane. 

Also One year coming back fron Sun n Fun we stopped for fuel in Georgia and an Epic landed a couple of minutes in front of us.  He gave us a tour  Wow what a homebuilt ..

gotyacovered

December 05, 2011, 06:54:29 pm #12 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:17:47 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: bvillepig on December 05, 2011, 05:49:10 pm
Would that be the Evolution?  It is quite a plane. 

Also One year coming back fron Sun n Fun we stopped for fuel in Georgia and an Epic landed a couple of minutes in front of us.  He gave us a tour  Wow what a homebuilt ..

Yep. I usually just call it 'dream plane'!!!!!!

Here it is