Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aurora Borealis

Started by Flying Razorback, October 24, 2011, 09:52:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

I saw it for the first time tonight!

I flew in to Little Rock Central and ate on the Riverwalk then flew to Fort Smith for all my night currencies.  Enroute from Fort Smith back to northwest Oklahoma at 26,000 I saw the aurora borealis for the first time!

It was awesome.  Very red.  Several airliners were talking with the controllers about it and some of my compadres were discussing it on the ground when I got home.  I can't believe it was so clear and visible this far south.  It was awesome!  Keep an eye out for it the next few days!
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

I guess this is why it's visible:

http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/Northern_Lights_Visible_In_Kansas_132504633.html

It was awesome.  The whole sky north and between Tulsa and Fayetteville was red. 

The two guys I was flying with didn't believe me at first so I had to turn to give them a better view.  Now maybe they'll believe me about the time I was almost hit by a meteorite at FL280.

gotyacovered

I didn't really know that it occurred that near the equator, never really thought about it though. That is cool, I am going to see them some day... I hope
You are what you tolerate.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 24, 2011, 10:01:24 pm
I didn't really know that it occurred that near the equator, never really thought about it though. That is cool, I am going to see them some day... I hope

I agree, I was shocked when I was looking at them at first.  I stared for a few minutes trying to figure out if it was light pollution being filtered through haze.  But I realized there was no other moisture content out there and it was just like a picture.  Airlines and other jets started discussing it with center and that confirmed it for me.  A few other guys brought it up at home.

If you're lucky you might be able to see it naked eye if you can look to the northwest tonight without a lot of light pollution.  It was very large, bright red, and vivid around 8:45 PM-9 PM in flight.

Flying Razorback

gotyacovered

i didnt get this til this morning, wish i would have looked, be interesting to know if i could see it from this far south.

Hogbus320

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 24, 2011, 09:59:22 pm
The two guys I was flying with didn't believe me at first so I had to turn to give them a better view.  Now maybe they'll believe me about the time I was almost hit by a meteorite at FL280.

I believe you.  I was almost smoked twice.  Once flying from LAX to Morelia, MX in the middle of the night.  Cruising at 360 a fireball streaked right over us at what seemed just a couple of thousand above.  It was close enough that it lit up the cockpit and the smoke trail was visable for about two minutes after it happened.  The second time was two weeks ago in the middle of the night SFO to ORD.  Same deal although this one didn't seem as close.  I've always wandered how close they really are when you see them like that.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Hogbus320 on October 25, 2011, 10:05:34 am
I believe you.  I was almost smoked twice.  Once flying from LAX to Morelia, MX in the middle of the night.  Cruising at 360 a fireball streaked right over us at what seemed just a couple of thousand above.  It was close enough that it lit up the cockpit and the smoke trail was visable for about two minutes after it happened.  The second time was two weeks ago in the middle of the night SFO to ORD.  Same deal although this one didn't seem as close.  I've always wandered how close they really are when you see them like that.

My meteorite encounter was between St. Louis and Tulsa at FL280 around 10 at night.  It was near the western border of Missouri.  I was staring out the window with the cockpit blacked out and saw a fireball from above streak straight down to below.  I'm sure it was 10 miles or more away, but they sure look close when you see a flaming object go streaking by that fast. 

I was pretty excited to say the least.  When you can actually see the altitude change on an object as you follow it down you know that it's close and actually moving towards terra firma.

I've heard rumor that one of the theories behind the loss of TWA Flight 800 out of New York was a meteorite strike.  If it hasn't happened before I could totally see it happening sometime in the future of aviation.

fdx flyer

Wow, that's pretty cool.  I saw a shooting star last night (not nearly as close as yours though), but didn't see the northern lights.  The only time I've seen it was about 6 years ago near Winnipeg one night.  It had a greenish tint up there.  It was just captivating to look at.

hogstorm

some pics and video I got (from North of Ozark)... these pics have been all over the place today.

http://www.realclearwx.com/102511.htm

Flying Razorback

Quote from: hogstorm on October 25, 2011, 07:59:51 pm
some pics and video I got (from North of Ozark)... these pics have been all over the place today.

That's exactly what I saw!  I love it!  Man it looked incredible.

Flying Razorback

And incredible pictures by  the way!

gotyacovered

Wow... Is tht your website? Great photo's... Man oh man...

That video is just cool. How long was it? Was that real time, didn't look like it, but I really was sure how much...

Thanks for posting.

hogstorm

yep thats me... and it was a 2 1/2 hr time lapse.  The pictures actually went sorta viral and ended up all over the place on tv and web.

gotyacovered

October 26, 2011, 03:51:03 pm #14 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:28:57 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: hogstorm on October 26, 2011, 03:35:54 pm
yep thats me... and it was a 2 1/2 hr time lapse.  The pictures actually went sorta viral and ended up all over the place on tv and web.

good stuff, congrats on a viral video!!!