Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Duck Bands

Started by Acorn hog, January 31, 2008, 09:19:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Acorn hog

Does anyone have any banded duck stories from this season or seasons past?

Hawgon

I read the other day about some guy killing a Mallard in Mississippi that had been banded in Japan something like nine or ten years ago.

dirthog

didnt get any this year friends did though. last year however shot one that was approximatly 5 feet from the end of my gun barrell.
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

Acorn hog

I did'nt duck hunt once this year due to a schedule change at work that limited my days off. Last year I shot one and gave it to my hunting partner. He never called it in to see location.
Killed a WH_FRONTED goose several years back in Garland Arkansas that was banded in Alaska near the Bering Strait 3300 miles away. Hatched in 1985 or earlier. Killed it 1/6/99. I did'nt know they got that old.

HogNuttz

February 01, 2008, 12:55:42 pm #4 Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:44:16 pm by HogNuttz
I read an article on the internet where a guy killed a banded duck in Kansas.  He called it in and it had been banded 1500 miles away in Canada.

Two days earlier.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

gutshot

Quote from: Acorn hog on February 01, 2008, 12:38:08 pm
I did'nt duck hunt once this year due to a schedule change at work that limited my days off. Last year I shot one and gave it to my hunting partner. He never called it in to see location.
Killed a WH_FRONTED goose several years back in Garland Arkansas that was banded in Alaska near the Bering Strait 3300 miles away. Hatched in 1985 or earlier. Killed it 1/6/99. I did'nt know they got that old.

HA! I got you pegged, now.  No wonder you liked so much of the same music that me and Whiskey River like in the "Song" thread.  Hell, you're kin to us.

covert

Me and a friend were hunting in 98 and shot into a large flock of ducks.we got 5 greenheads out of it,2 were banded.Never thought too much about it ,figured they were banded together.After i called in the numbers and got the certificate back one was banded in North Dakota and the other one in Manitoba Canada.Thought it was neat that them two got together and we took them out of the large flock.

Hammibal Lecter

Quote from: covert on February 01, 2008, 06:16:59 pm
Me and a friend were hunting in 98 and shot into a large flock of ducks.we got 5 greenheads out of it,2 were banded.Never thought too much about it ,figured they were banded together.After i called in the numbers and got the certificate back one was banded in North Dakota and the other one in Manitoba Canada.Thought it was neat that them two got together and we took them out of the large flock.
Ive kinda got the opposite of that story...a friend and i went up to peace river alberta to guide hunts about 5 years ago and the group killed 5 banded mallards one morning. Two boys from the south hadnt seen that...EVER, obviously, and were really pumped...telling the owner our story when we got back, he said, "hell, shoulda killed more than that, you were hunting about 2 miles from a banding station!"

Apparently the guys called their ducks in, and sure enough, per the owner weeks later, they were banded in that territory, and 3 of the five were consecutive band numbers!
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

Acorn hog

Quote from: gutshot on February 01, 2008, 12:56:55 pm

HA! I got you pegged, now.  No wonder you liked so much of the same music that me and Whiskey River like in the "Song" thread.  Hell, you're kin to us.
I knew this would give it away!!!

Whiskey River

Quote from: Acorn hog on February 01, 2008, 12:38:08 pm

Group effort!
This species has amused itself to death...

trough

Buddy of mine killed a mallard hen that had the satellite tracking device on it a few weeks ago.  Turns out it was banded the day before he shot it up river a couple miles.  Lots of info there!!!

Acorn hog

Quote from: trough on February 01, 2008, 10:56:27 pm
Buddy of mine killed a mallard hen that had the satellite tracking device on it a few weeks ago.  Turns out it was banded the day before he shot it up river a couple miles.  Lots of info there!!!
Awsome, We need a picture of that.

Acorn hog

Quote from: Whiskey River on February 01, 2008, 10:36:17 pm
Group effort!
Group effort was two years ago C.P has that one.

Yoko Oinko

I took a buddy duck hunting south of Lonoke a couple years ago.  He had never bagged a pintail and i was going to try fix that for him.  We get quite a few at our farm.  That Saturday, it was really cold and the fields were pretty iced up, but we brok patches and waited.  He was behind the blind splashing around or peeing.  I saw a group of pintails coming right at us and told him get in the blind.  I was going to let him take the shots.  I'm not a guide, but sometimes too nice for my own good.  So here come the ducks.  I tell him to take the shot.  He rises aims, pulls the trigger....NOTHING.  His gun got iced up when he was splashing around.  So I toss him my gun and he proceeds to miss 3x.

He's feeling bad.  So the next day its a little warmer and we start working on a single pintail.  He rises shoots, one shot miss, two shots misses, then I shoot about a second before he shoots a third time, I nail it dead.  I slap him on the back and said "Helluva shot! You got him!"  He looked at me knowing that I was giving him credit when he knew that he didn't get the bird.  So he goes out to retrieve the bird and comes back with a smirk on his face.  He says, "tell you what, I'll keep the bird, but the band is yours."

The bird was 8 years old and from north of Calgary, Alberta.
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

Acorn hog

I heard a story about a guy killing three banded mallards last weekend at Felsnthal in south arkansas one doulble banded with a $100  money band. What luck!!

hawgyMcHawg

I've killed two double-banded ducks in my life, one, a drake when I was about 12yrs old, had a $10 reward band and was about 15 yrs old...all the green coloring had worn off the reward band except for on the numbers....

The second, a hen, had $100 reward band. 

Killed about 5 other single bands over the course of 20 yrs (I think I had several stolen from me by people I hunted with that assumed they got the ducks).
Handle every stressful situation like a dog....   
If you can't eat it or hump it,   
Piss on it and walk away.

SultanofSwine

Second duck ever was a banded mallard drake.

My last one was three seasons ago and it was banded up by Big Lake the year before I shot it.

Hammibal Lecter

Quote from: hawgyMcHawg on February 04, 2008, 02:05:42 pm
(I think I had several stolen from me by people I hunted with that assumed they got the ducks).

a quick autopsy will cure that,

if its just me and buddies, with no "customers", and we're band hunting we all use different size shot!! 

and before you ask, we call it band hunting when we try to get them so close we can see their feet, just in case!
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

EL' MAHOG

Well to make it short and sweet, the first duck I ever killed was a banded Hooded Merganser, and I didn't even see the band until I was half way done breasting it, or I would have sent it to the taxidermist.
I guess it finally rained, its down to 85, I bet the fish are bitin' down by the riverside

Whiskey River

Quote from: BKillian on February 08, 2008, 09:34:52 pm
Well to make it short and sweet, the first duck I ever killed was a banded Hooded Merganser, and I didn't even see the band until I was half way done breasting it, or I would have sent it to the taxidermist.

Breasting a Hooded Merganser??? Can't believe you ate that thing. Didn't taste very good did it?  :puke:

Acorn hog

If I kill a Banded Hooded Merganser I promise I will Eat it!!!

Acorn hog

I Met a guy with a turkey leg band his dad killed in Texas several years back. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

gutshot

Quote from: Acorn hog on February 11, 2008, 07:20:56 pm
I Met a guy with a turkey leg band his dad killed in Texas several years back. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Our uncle on the other side of the family (MV) killed a turkey in the mountains with a collar around his neck a few years back.

gutshot

Whiskey River

Quote from: gutshot on February 11, 2008, 07:38:44 pm
Our uncle on the other side of the family (MV) killed a turkey in the mountains with a collar around his neck a few years back.

Doesn't the one he has mounted have a leg band? Don't know if it's the same one that had the collar or not.

trphog

I have never killed a band but saw my cousin do it. Two years ago we were hunting outside of Stuttgart. There was a  large ditch on the back side of this field that we were hunting that was holding some ducks. The lucky sucker crept up pretty close to the ditch before the ducks flushed. He shot twice. The first shot he doubled up, a hen and a drake mallard, in one shot. The second shot he downed a banded Heinz 57 duck. It was a mallard but looked like it had not molted yet. Man that thing was ugly. I was laughing at him that he killed a duck that had sexuality issues. It didn't know if it wanted to be a boy or girl. He made me shut up by asking me how many bands that I had. Scoreboard!

smoked hog

I've never killed a banded duck but all my buddies have. I kind of seem to be a bad luck charm.

smoked hog

Oh I did remember one funny story. A friend of mine was walking to the blind in field that hadn't been hunted much that year. On his way out he looks down and see's a dead mallard in the water. Picks it up and it was banded. Some people are just lucky.

Juboar

A buddy of mine killed a double banded Green Head this year.   Called in the numbers and was told the  duck was banded 10 years ago.  They wrote him a nice letter explaining that the funds to pay the $100 are gone and all he gets is a letter.

trphog

Swino

Quote from: BKillian on February 08, 2008, 09:34:52 pm

dude

PintailKiller

My 11 year old killed a banded woodie this year on the Cache River.  Dropped it to close out his first 6 duck limit.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

mr4pt

I've got a funny story about a banded woodie.....

When my wife and I first met she had never been duck hunting.  I've got this stretch of water about a mile up from where Boggy Creek empties into Days Creek that is most excellent for jump shooting woodies and the occaisional mallard.  Mid day is the best time for this so I figured that would be a good experience for her first "duck hunt".  Towards the end of the hunt we jumped a group of woodies and I knocked two down.  When my wife brought them to me she said one had a metal thingy on its leg.  I told here that those were tracking devices that the g&f used.  For some reason she thought I meant like a radio controlled tracking device where they could tell where they were at all times.  Well...I had to run with that.  I told her that it was highly illegal to shoot a duck with that and that we should hide becasue the feds would be there any minute.  We buried the duck in some leaves and found a good spot to hide.  I let it go on for about 20 minutes then I told her we had to make a break for it and got up and started running.  She freaked out yelling "don't you leave me here..."  I couldn't help it, I busted out laughing and told her the truth.

I've got many bands but that one will always be the most special...

ps - she didn't think it was as funny as I did.

selfexplanatory

Quote from: mr4pt on February 22, 2008, 11:14:37 am
I've got a funny story about a banded woodie.....

When my wife and I first met she had never been duck hunting.  I've got this stretch of water about a mile up from where Boggy Creek empties into Days Creek that is most excellent for jump shooting woodies and the occaisional mallard.  Mid day is the best time for this so I figured that would be a good experience for her first "duck hunt".  Towards the end of the hunt we jumped a group of woodies and I knocked two down.  When my wife brought them to me she said one had a metal thingy on its leg.  I told here that those were tracking devices that the g&f used.  For some reason she thought I meant like a radio controlled tracking device where they could tell where they were at all times.  Well...I had to run with that.  I told her that it was highly illegal to shoot a duck with that and that we should hide becasue the feds would be there any minute.  We buried the duck in some leaves and found a good spot to hide.  I let it go on for about 20 minutes then I told her we had to make a break for it and got up and started running.  She freaked out yelling "don't you leave me here..."  I couldn't help it, I busted out laughing and told her the truth.

I've got many bands but that one will always be the most special...

ps - she didn't think it was as funny as I did.

That is awesome.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?