Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talk of the Pistol Formation

Started by schmeck, January 18, 2010, 06:12:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeck

There has been more than one comment about one of the new Asst Coaches (i believe the one from Nevada) having a background with this offense.  The talk said that CBP will take a few ideas from this offensive ideaology and add it to what he already does.  Is this information true, and what exactly is the Pistol formation offense?
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

intoxhog

Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

oldbear

The pistol formation is a quarterback in a shorter shotgun position with a tailback lined up directly behind the quarterback.  One of these guys that is good with graphics will probably draw it up for you.  I saw it printed somewhere that Coach Petrino said that Klenakis would be adding some pistol wrinkles to what we were already using.

schmeck

Thanks. Looks like even a great coach like CBP can add a few things and adapt to new things, or add "wrinkles" to what already works.  Nutt, er, um.....Gus added the "Wildcat" and it helped in some situations.  Maybe the Pistol will help keep the opposing D on its toes.
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

GalaHawg

CBP said we already were using the pistol formation last year and said we called it the shot  formation while the regular shotgun formation was called the gun formation.

He said we utilized the pistol for mainly pass plays and Coach K will add run plays out of this formation.

ucabears50162

Quote from: schmeck on January 18, 2010, 06:12:15 pm
There has been more than one comment about one of the new Asst Coaches (i believe the one from Nevada) having a background with this offense.  The talk said that CBP will take a few ideas from this offensive ideaology and add it to what he already does.  Is this information true, and what exactly is the Pistol formation offense?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQugHijAKGQ

This helps show some in motion.
"Starkville is about as cool as taking a bath with your dad"

oldbear

The best coaches in the world "steal" things from other coaches all the time.

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

undercoverbrother

The pistol Nebraska was running this year had all the WRs lined on one side, when paired with the QB in shotgun and TB behind, the formation looks kind of like a pistol...

jgphillips3

Petrino talked when hired about how he and Paul "put together" this offense.  The one thing I love about Petrino is that I don't believe he is married to any one style of offense.  I think he quiet literally will use and implement anything he thinks his players can execute that gives us an advantage.  That is Petrino's true genius I think, his lack of rigid thinking.

mtnmusic

Quote from: GalaHawg on January 18, 2010, 06:41:36 pm
CBP said we already were using the pistol formation last year and said we called it the shot  formation while the regular shotgun formation was called the gun formation.

He said we utilized the pistol for mainly pass plays and Coach K will add run plays out of this formation.

To me this looks suspiciously like an option formation if you've got a QB with faster feet than RM. We might run set plays called in the huddle this year with "read" options next year.. either that or maybe we're going to see more of Tyler than we have.   

hawgsav1

Quote from: mtnmusic on January 18, 2010, 10:48:16 pm

Both Nevada and Osborne's great 1990s team ran the option out of the Pistol.  However, I don't see Coach Petrino using it much unless he gets a very mobile QB (e.g. Brandon Mitchell, Jacoby Walker, etc.).  If Casey Dick had been developed properly, he would have been an excellent option QB, as he ran a 4.5-4.6 in HS I believe.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Iwastherein1969

I just hope that after the Bama game this coming September that the headlines in the national newspapers read..."Petrino Pistol Whips Saban and the Tide"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

vandybuff

Well it starts with Gilbert Arenas in the locker room ....... 
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

M L (bassplayer)

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 19, 2010, 02:57:43 am
Both Nevada and Osborne's great 1990s team ran the option out of the Pistol.  However, I don't see Coach Petrino using it much unless he gets a very mobile QB (e.g. Brandon Mitchell, Jacoby Walker, etc.).  If Casey Dick had been developed properly, he would have been an excellent option QB, as he ran a 4.5-4.6 in HS I believe.
Working toward the future.

Shaquille O-squeal

DeltaBoy

January 19, 2010, 08:33:32 am #17 Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:21:27 pm by DeltaBoy
I like the Pistol and the Shotgun.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kitarae

we used the pistol a few times this year.

Auburn

I'm just waiting on the link to that cubs girl pic...

oldman1015

Quote from: schmeck on January 18, 2010, 06:27:08 pm
Thanks. Looks like even a great coach like CBP can add a few things and adapt to new things, or add "wrinkles" to what already works.  Nutt, er, um.....Gus added the "Wildcat" and it helped in some situations.  Maybe the Pistol will help keep the opposing D on its toes.
i thought danny invented the wildcat?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

hogansas

The pistol is essentially the I formation with the QB replacing the FB.  It is actually a better single back formation because they back is not already set to one side, allowing him to quickly get downhill in either direction.  The QB, standing up, sort of hides the TB and delays LB's from getting a quick read on his direction.  It also allows the QB a faster, broader view of the defense without the hassle of dropping back so much.  To me, we seem to have a perfect QB for this formation.  With Mallett's height (to hide to TB), and arm strength (for quick passes), we should be able to do some real damage.  The only drawback is that our tackles will have to be studs in pass protection.  With the QB already 2-3 yards closer to the line, we have essentially eliminated the pocket to step up into.  I wouldn't look for many deep routes out of this pistol, but you never know.
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

code red

The pistol also allows the TB to read the LB's and time the cutback, utilizing the outside zone blocking scheme.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jman

I watched Nevada play several times this year, so I am somewhat familiar with the Pistol

Danny J

Quote from: jman on January 19, 2010, 10:27:42 pm
I watched Nevada play several times this year, so I am somewhat familiar with the Pistol
I could be wrong but I think nevada led the nation in rushing this year so I would say he will be able to add some things to our offense.

ArkieBrat

The next big news out of Ole Miss will be Danny's new formation.....Webel with a Pistol.
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

hawgsav1

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 20, 2010, 02:33:37 am
I could be wrong but I think nevada led the nation in rushing this year so I would say he will be able to add some things to our offense.

I think they were the only team in the history of CFB to have three 1000 yard rushers

Danny J

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 20, 2010, 02:55:54 am
I think they were the only team in the history of CFB to have three 1000 yard rushers
It was pretty impresive. I watched a few of their games and they really ran some pretty interesting formations. I think with all the different style of backs we have coming back next year surely we can use some of those looks.

hawgsav1

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 20, 2010, 03:02:40 am
It was pretty impresive. I watched a few of their games and they really ran some pretty interesting formations. I think with all the different style of backs we have coming back next year surely we can use some of those looks.

They also had a QB who was a bit more versatile than Mallett, albeit a far less prolific passer.  I wonder if we will some series/packages with Wilson or Mitchell, as they are far more mobile and have dual threat capabilities. 

It was a shame that they started the season 0-3.  However, losing Vai Taua and Lippincott sucked for them and probably played a big role in their abysmal start.  They had a strong run though in the middle of the season however until they ran into Boise.

Danny J

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 20, 2010, 03:05:31 am
They also had a QB who was a bit more versatile than Mallett, albeit a far less prolific passer.  I wonder if we will some series/packages with Wilson or Mitchell, as they are far more mobile and have dual threat capabilities. 

It was a shame that they started the season 0-3.  However, losing Vai Taua and Lippincott sucked for them and probably played a big role in their abysmal start.  They had a strong run though in the middle of the season however until they ran into Boise.
I would think that they might use mitchell in some of those formations if nothing else to give mitchell some playing time. He is such a good athlete and I just dont see him warming the bench all season behind wilson. Speculation of course but I am sure it has some merit or at least in the back of petrinos mind.

hostilehog

what exactly is the Pistol formation offense?

let me google that for you:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+pistol+formation+in+football%3F

The gene pool around here could use a little chlorine