Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40 yard dash times

Started by HOG FANATIC, March 18, 2010, 08:09:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HOG FANATIC

Did anyone hear Trey Biddy talking about the 40 yard dash times on DTS yesterday?  If some of the times were legit it sounds like we are going to be much faster.

pgmhawg

what were some of the times I didn't hear the show

thahawg

I think Ronnie Wingo ran the fastest with a 4.36, and Darius Winston ran a 4.38. And if I heard right Greg Childs ran a 4.39! That is some scary speed for a receiver his size.

HOG FANATIC

R. Crimm, J. Wright, L. Ray, and one other cornerback had fast times as well.  I don't remember the exact times.

Jhaynie

I believe I heard Trey say that Ramon Broadway ran a 4.28 or 4.29 as well.  that was hand timed though. 

kingoftherapids

They were all hand timed. 

Hog Fan from Camden

Should be no different from any other 40 times summitted by college coaches for their players unless they are using laser timings.  Hand held times will always faster than laser timed 40s.   

jcharkansas

What about Joe Adams? He had to have a good time hes pretty fast.

toadzone33

The Juniors ran on the track.  NFL would add 1/10 of a second for their records, due to the surface.

PorkSoda

March 18, 2010, 03:18:34 pm #9 Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:22:08 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on March 18, 2010, 10:52:46 am
Hand held times will always faster than laser timed 40s.   
I wouldn't say that that isn't necessarily true.  I would say that hand held times are inaccurate period.  We are talking fractions of a second.  take into account the time it takes to recognizes the start with your eyes and the time it takes to press a button.  we are talking a couple tenths of a second.  when you add in all the variables of reaction time, etc.  the only conclusion you can come to is that it is inaccurate.  the difference on paper between 4.9 and 4.4 is huge. that half a second one way or the other could easily be accounted for by the innaccuarcies of the measurement method.

In conclusion. 40 times are way overrated as a predicator of success.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

arkansastrack

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 18, 2010, 08:15:31 am
That's a big "if" since most 40 times aren't legit.

From 1998 ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013510/index.htm

The part about Ben Johnson and his "4.26" is that it is an apples to oranges comparison. Assuming a perfect start you could take .10 off of that time (any reaction time faster than .10 is a false start in track). Also assuming that most HS time are hand timed would take another .24 seconds off of Ben Johnson's time (the hand timed to FAT conversion). To make a real comparison Ben Johnson's 40 yard time during his illegal WR run would be around 3.92 (hand-timed; starting on his own).

I agree though that almost all HS 40 times are not legit. Just found SI's comparison off.
Quote from: PorkSoda on March 18, 2010, 03:18:34 pm
I wouldn't say that that isn't necessarily true.  I would say that hand held times are inaccurate period.  We are talking fractions of a second.  take into account the time it takes to recognizes the start with your eyes and the time it takes to press a button.  we are talking a couple tenths of a second.  when you add in all the variables of reaction time, etc.  the only conclusion you can come to is that it is inaccurate.  the difference on paper between 4.9 and 4.4 is huge. that half a second one way or the other could easily be accounted for by the innaccuarcies of the measurement method.

In conclusion. 40 times are way overrated as a predicator of success.

The actual difference between laser timed and an experienced timer is .24 seconds. This is what is used in track to convert hand times to FAT times.

LZH

From 1998 ...

There is nothing wrong with hand held times, people.  Are they suspect to the reaction of the guy with the watch...sure.  But, for one, a tenth of a second (like the old days) is probably a fair over/under on a 40 yard time.  If they just posted a 4.3 or 4.4 or 4.5 or 4.6, I would say that's not so far off from being a fair representation for a hand held time (as opposed to a 4.33 or 4.55).  Plus, since digital hand timers are used, and the strong possibility of the athlete getting a few hundredths advantage on the start, I don't see anything wrong with boosting a kid's ego by a few hundredths as long as it's to compare his speed this year to last year as long as the guys with the stopwatches are fair and as accurate as they can be.

And as for our 100 meter sprinters, if you take a 9.87 100 meters (even electronic) and do the math to get his 40 time, it's still gonna be fast.  These dudes train to go the full 100m...they usually are guys with great technique and large lungs (check it out)...and are at their fastest during the middle third of the 100m.  JMO.

CurDog64

March 18, 2010, 08:26:47 pm #12 Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:29:11 pm by CurDog64
Quote from: arkansastrack on March 18, 2010, 06:37:16 pm
The part about Ben Johnson and his "4.26" is that it is an apples to oranges comparison. Assuming a perfect start you could take .10 off of that time (any reaction time faster than .10 is a false start in track). Also assuming that most HS time are hand timed would take another .24 seconds off of Ben Johnson's time (the hand timed to FAT conversion). To make a real comparison Ben Johnson's 40 yard time during his illegal WR run would be around 3.92 (hand-timed; starting on his own).

I agree though that almost all HS 40 times are not legit. Just found SI's comparison off.
The actual difference between laser timed and an experienced timer is .24 seconds. This is what is used in track to convert hand times to FAT times.

When Reggie Bush worked out at his proday they said he ran a 4.25 hand timed that converted to a 4.32 laser time.  This was just what NFL network was saying, and I know media isnt know for its upright truth, but there is a huge difference in 0.08 and 0.24 seconds. Just dont see where the big discrepancy comes from

GiantFoamFingerMak

The truth comes out in the NFL combine and it does say that hand held times are not accurate.
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

arkansastrack

Quote from: CurDog64 on March 18, 2010, 08:26:47 pm
When Reggie Bush worked out at his proday they said he ran a 4.25 hand timed that converted to a 4.32 laser time.  This was just what NFL network was saying, and I know media isnt know for its upright truth, but there is a huge difference in 0.08 and 0.24 seconds. Just dont see where the big discrepancy comes from

I don't know either but I would take the word of the people that came up with the .24 since track is all about time and they have done tons of research on it in order to "convert" handheld times. I guarantee you that NFL Network has not done 1/100 of the research that would need to be done to make it consistent. Anything faster than .1 is not a reaction anyway it is more anticipation.

PorkSoda

Quote from: arkansastrack on March 18, 2010, 06:37:16 pm

I won't argue with you on coversions, but I assume that in reality the "actual" difference varies on who is holding the timer.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

secneahog

ok....we all understand hand times are going to be slower then laser times...so, if your hand timing guys, you would have to have real low times for it to be impressive..and if those times are correct...thats freakin fast.  If you played football growing up, and you got out there on the field or track with your teammates and you ran 40 times..and the coaches timed you.  Thats fast, i dont care what it converts to with lasers.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

cbjagman

From 1998 ...

If I'm reading the theme of this thread correctly I believe Hog Fanatic is referring to CURRENT Hogs, not incoming freshmen.

AFWarrior83

Who cares?  Remember what the coaches said when they first got here?  FTS-Feed The Studs!  We've finally got the studs in bulk, not just a DMAC or Matt Jones to carry the team.
Hogville member since 2005.

hogballer05

March 21, 2010, 08:46:15 am #19 Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:48:26 am by hogballer05
ramon would be a really good corner if he wasnt 5'9. then again leon would be a beast if he had the brains to go along with hes athletic abilty!

hogballer05

you can never actually know if its true because coaches get to excited and press the stop button a little to early. laser times are the only ones you can go off of. then again if CBP says ramon ran a 4.33 then i say ramon runs a 4.33 no questions asked

daBoar

I am a bit stunned with the asserted 4.33 time for Broadway.  I like him, and think he's a gamer, but he never looked fast to me.  But, quite obviously we've been having a problem aligning foot speed with game speed.  And, that's my concern, when will that happen?

1HourToHogville

Lou Holtz when asked about a players fast 40yd time "that just means he gets to the wrong place faster than everyone else".

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogballer05 on March 21, 2010, 08:46:15 am
ramon would be a really good corner

I watched him try to cover people last year.  That's all I am going to say.

It will be amazing how much slower some of these guys have become by the time they are clocked electronically at the combine. 

Of course these times are bogus.

Root66

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 22, 2010, 09:04:44 am
I watched him try to cover people last year.  That's all I am going to say.

It will be amazing how much slower some of these guys have become by the time they are clocked electronically at the combine. 

Of course these times are bogus.

Speed will always become useless to technique and failure to carry out your assignment as instructed. Speed will on go so far.

atekido

when 40 times are listed i just mention barry sanders and jerry rice.  neither had blazing speed.  they just made people miss and arguably are the best in each position.  but 40 times are important because its a good indication of what is possible if they get open!

Iwastherein1969

speed allows a "make up" window in which the defender can cover lost ground by one missed step or bad technique....speed can make up for a lot of things, when you are slow, your technique can NEVER fail you
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

DuckWallpaper

I'll eat my sock if any Razorback player runs faster than a 4.45 in a laser timed 40. Those times aren't realistic...just ask Florida.
"Make his fight on the hills in the early day, Constant chill deep inside! Shouting gun, on they run through the endless grey! On they fight, for they are right, yes, but who's to say? For a hill, men would kill, why? They do not know! Stiffened wounds test their pride!
Men of five, still alive through the raging glow, Gone insane from the pain that they surely know!"

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: DuckWallpaper on March 26, 2010, 12:44:31 pm
I'll eat my sock if any Razorback player runs faster than a 4.45 in a laser timed 40. Those times aren't realistic...just ask Florida.
Ask Tebow how fast DD Jones is.

DuckWallpaper

That's an irrelevant point. I was referencing this:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Fine-we-get-it-Florida-is-fast-There-s-no-nee?urn=ncaaf,147026

It's all hand timed, all there to boost confidence and scare opponents and woo fans. 
"Make his fight on the hills in the early day, Constant chill deep inside! Shouting gun, on they run through the endless grey! On they fight, for they are right, yes, but who's to say? For a hill, men would kill, why? They do not know! Stiffened wounds test their pride!
Men of five, still alive through the raging glow, Gone insane from the pain that they surely know!"

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!