Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama just just got a lot better

Started by jaredkr, April 02, 2011, 11:28:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredkr

I am Ray Finkel

LRHawg

SeeingRed13

I don't see anything in there about Auburn...

jaredkr

I am Ray Finkel

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jaredkr on April 02, 2011, 11:28:38 pm
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?w=1ai4q&storyId=6283726&i=TOP&topslot=1

He is bigger than his Dad by about 2 inches and he certainly has all of the measurables and a quality athletic lineage. He may be their next big receiver. Ask Robert Thomas about him if you have a connection to him by Facebook, since he played with him last year at Coffeyville.
Go Hogs Go!

press ham

bama is breaking in a new qb next year.  we'll wait see if they will be better.

LR Hog

I hope he doesn't whine as much as his Pappy.
Like a boss.

Mike_e

Bama's never easy but they can be had.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

JohnsonHog

Makes me wonder if the hammer is getting ready to drop on Ohio St. and he is getting out while he can so he can play in a bowl down the road.

hardtimes79

Quote from: JohnsonHog on April 03, 2011, 10:02:25 am
Makes me wonder if the hammer is getting ready to drop on Ohio St. and he is getting out while he can so he can play in a bowl down the road.

The story says he had academic issues at Ohio St. so he withdrew and went the juco route.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JohnsonHog on April 03, 2011, 10:02:25 am

Naw, he spent all of last season at Coffeyville CC. He left before last season for academic reasons, before all of this blew up. But that may very well be the reason he isn't headed back to OSU to follow in Dad's foot steps.
Go Hogs Go!

MM-gohogs

their new QB will be greener than our new offensive line, this WR still has to have someone to get the ball to him...
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

Teebow62

Let's see... Ohio State or Bama? Not a tough call on where's the best place to play there. Frigid cold or the warm south. Better tradition at Bama, much better conference. Better coach. No looming NCAA problems. Not that tough a choice.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: press ham on April 03, 2011, 09:03:14 ambama is breaking in a new qb next year.  we'll wait see if they will be better.

Same could be said of us.

Impressive recruit, though...

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Big Poppa Z on April 03, 2011, 10:44:45 am
Same could be said of us.

Impressive recruit, though...

Tyler Wilson did have the extended game experience against Auburn.  That was very helpful for Wilson.  From what game footage I have seen of A.J. McCarron, he is a better passer than was Greg McElroy.  McCarron has better velocity on his downfield passes, and he can make the down field throws that were difficult for McElroy.  McCarron was the #7 Ranked Pro-Style QB in the Nation by Rivals. 

There is a chance that McCarron may not win that QB spot over there at Tuscaloosa.  Phillip Sims could win that spot over McCarron.  Sims was the #2 Ranked Pro-Style QB in the Nation by Rivals just like Ryan Mallett was the #2 Ranked Pro-Style QB in the Nation by Rivals.  We lost our Rivals ranked #2 Pro-Style QB to the NFL Draft, and Alabama currently has a Rivals ranked #2 Pro-Style QB on their Roster.

A huge and big aspect is the aspect regarding the Offensive Lines.  We are having to replace 3 Starting Offensive Linemen, and Alabama is only having to replace 1 Starting Offensive Lineman.         

BamaFreak

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 04, 2011, 06:57:36 pm
Tyler Wilson did have the extended game experience against Auburn.  That was very helpful for Wilson.  From what game footage I have seen of A.J. McCarron, he is a better passer than was Greg McElroy.  McCarron has better velocity on his downfield passes, and he can make the down field throws that were difficult for McElroy.  McCarron was the #7 Ranked Pro-Style QB in the Nation by Rivals. 

There is a chance that McCarron may not win that QB spot over there at Tuscaloosa.  Phillip Sims could win that spot over McCarron.  Sims was the #2 Ranked Pro-Style QB in the Nation by Rivals just like Ryan Mallett was the #2 Ranked Pro-Style QB in the Nation by Rivals.  We lost our Rivals ranked #2 Pro-Style QB to the NFL Draft, and Alabama currently has a Rivals ranked #2 Pro-Style QB on their Roster.

A huge and big aspect is the aspect regarding the Offensive Lines.  We are having to replace 3 Starting Offensive Linemen, and Alabama is only having to replace 1 Starting Offensive Lineman.         

Interesting points, but you left off one HUGE X-Factor: You guys have Bobby Petrino.  He can take a 2-star QB and make him look better than a lot of 4 and 5-star QBs out there. 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: BamaFreak on April 04, 2011, 07:51:53 pm
Interesting points, but you left off one HUGE X-Factor: You guys have Bobby Petrino.  He can take a 2-star QB and make him look better than a lot of 4 and 5-star QBs out there.
Wilson was a 4 star
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bigdaddyhawg

You guys ever heard of "addition by subtraction"?  Well, this guy could be "subtraction by addition".

A kid from a high profile dad, which means he's been pampered and groomed and sucked up to his entire life, who has a history of grade problems, which might lead one to assume a lack of maturity, or intelligence, or self-discipline, or accountability, or all of the above.

Team chemistry DOES play a role on successful teams, whether that's a politically correct thing to believe or not.  Talent is not the only factor is winning.

So I'd say the assumption that Bama is now better is perhaps a little questionable.  It could go the other way, too.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

BamaFreak

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 04, 2011, 07:55:46 pm
Wilson was a 4 star

I wasn't making a reference to a specific player, just making an observation about CBP's ability to develop QBs.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: BamaFreak on April 04, 2011, 07:51:53 pmInteresting points, but you left off one HUGE X-Factor: You guys have Bobby Petrino.  He can take a 2-star QB and make him look better than a lot of 4 and 5-star QBs out there.

That's what a stats-inflated offense does and why you cannot trust said QB to effectively translate to the NFL.

As to Alabama being better adding a player with presumed questionable intangibles?

That's the Mallett-and-NFL argument in nutshell.  If folks think Mallett will succeed, they are forced to presume same with this player.  (Or be hypocrites.)

XX

Quote from: Big Poppa Z on April 04, 2011, 08:38:24 pm
That's what a stats-inflated offense does and why you cannot trust said QB to effectively translate to the NFL.

As to Alabama being better adding a player with presumed questionable intangibles?

That's the Mallett-and-NFL argument in nutshell.  If folks think Mallett will succeed, they are forced to presume same with this player.  (Or be hypocrites.)

Your mom's gonna find out you're still up and you know what that means....no pizza party for you tomorrow. ;D
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

bigdaddyhawg

By "stats-inflated offense", do you mean an offense like the vast majority of pro teams run, that utilizes an intricate passing game (like ALL pro teams run), with complex blocking schemes that require the QB to be able to know, understand, and manage the ENTIRE offense (like pro teams run)?

You're right.  Comparing the Carter kid who has played ZERO CFB yet, but has dropped out due to grades and changed programs multiple times and Ryan Mallett who was a team leader for two years who just led the Hogs to its first BCS bowl with two of the best years EVER for a QB in the SEC? 

Well, that's just a stupid comparison.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Big Poppa Z

1.  Stats-inflated speaks for itself.
2.  Perfectly valid comparison related to "character."

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Big Poppa Z on April 04, 2011, 10:19:52 pm
1.  Stats-inflated speaks for itself.
2.  Perfectly valid comparison related to "character."

1. Really?? The stats piled up in CBP's offense were not piled up by some mickey mouse high school offense that runs trick plays every other play.  Those stats were accomplished because it is a complex offense, just like the ones in the pros, and we had an exceptional QB running it. 

Did you know Peyton Manning also piled up great stats in college, running a pro-style offense?  All those thousands of yards of passing he had couldn't lead anyone to get an idea just how good of a QB he was either, did it?

2. You know, not one single person at Michigan or at Ark have had one single derogatory thing to say about Mallett's character.  They have unanimously voiced just what we Hog fans have seen: that Ryan is a natural leader who loves and enjoys football and competes hard to win.  All those other "character" issues you allude to started by an already debunked internet rumors that the secondary sources have already refuted.

So do you think those character issues I raised re: your boy Carter are fabricated?

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 04, 2011, 10:31:36 pm
1. Really?? The stats piled up in CBP's offense were not piled up by some mickey mouse high school offense that runs trick plays every other play.  Those stats were accomplished because it is a complex offense, just like the ones in the pros, and we had an exceptional QB running it. 

Did you know Peyton Manning also piled up great stats in college, running a pro-style offense?  All those thousands of yards of passing he had couldn't lead anyone to get an idea just how good of a QB he was either, did it?

Peyton Manning is everything that Ryan Mallett is NOT.  Keep reaching.

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 04, 2011, 10:31:36 pm2. You know, not one single person at Michigan or at Ark have had one single derogatory thing to say about Mallett's character.  They have unanimously voiced just what we Hog fans have seen: that Ryan is a natural leader who loves and enjoys football and competes hard to win.  All those other "character" issues you allude to started by an already debunked internet rumors that the secondary sources have already refuted.

So do you think those character issues I raised re: your boy Carter are fabricated?

No more than Malletts.

Oh, wait...  (sigh)

verticalhog

That's what a stats-inflated offense does...

That you, Houston?  How are things in Oxford?

BuckeyeNation

Ohio State never offered him a chance to return, he got a 0.0 in his tenure at OSU. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TATOO GATE/EMAIL GATE.

Quote from: Teebow62 on April 03, 2011, 10:38:36 am
Let's see... Ohio State or Bama? Not a tough call on where's the best place to play there. Frigid cold or the warm south. Better tradition at Bama, much better conference. Better coach. No looming NCAA problems. Not that tough a choice.
1.Alabama isn't that warm
2.Better Tradition?  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: Just wrong, you can not say one school has more tradition than another, Alabama does have more mythical national titles though.
3.Better conference. Sure. But who cares? People don't go to Ole Miss because their in a better conference.
4. Better coach. Loss to Utah, Win in Capital 1 bowl, 1 national title in his tenure at Alabama. vs. 6-3 in BCS with a national title.

Also I find it funny Alabama is loving this "big 10" guy after they get him, but if he was on OSU he would still be considered slow. Thats how dumb forums have gotten over the last 5 years.

systemroot

Quote from: BamaFreak on April 04, 2011, 07:51:53 pm

I agree with you 100%. CBP's system is built for success as long as the players do their homework but I also like to compare it like this-

HN would get 3 star recruits and CBP gets 3 star recruits. The difference between the recruits is the fact that CBP gets the higher end 3 star recruits that could easily be ranked 4 star recruits.
Quote from: BuckeyeNation on April 05, 2011, 12:05:10 am
Ohio State never offered him a chance to return, he got a 0.0 in his tenure at OSU. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TATOO GATE/EMAIL GATE.
1.Alabama isn't that warm
2.Better Tradition?  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: Just wrong, you can not say one school has more tradition than another, Alabama does have more mythical national titles though.
3.Better conference. Sure. But who cares? People don't go to Ole Miss because their in a better conference.
4. Better coach. Loss to Utah, Win in Capital 1 bowl, 1 national title in his tenure at Alabama. vs. 6-3 in BCS with a national title.

Also I find it funny Alabama is loving this "big 10" guy after they get him, but if he was on OSU he would still be considered slow. Thats how dumb forums have gotten over the last 5 years.

Save it. lol

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Big Poppa Z on April 04, 2011, 10:50:13 pm
Peyton Manning is everything that Ryan Mallett is NOT.  Keep reaching.

Way to COMPLETELY avoid the point of discussion.

MuskogeeHogFan

If it wasn't already clear enough before, your true bias is now on display. Mallett may very well be the one QB in the draft who is most prepared to make the successful and early transition to NFL offenses. All of the NFL teams agree that:

1) Petrino is tough on QB's and won't tolerate/play a QB that has attitude/character issues or refuses to put in the work and study to be successful as his QB, let alone allowing him to be a negative influence with regard to leadership as a team Captain.

2) They also all agree that BP's offense is very difficult to learn and execute successfully and is comparable to an NFL level offense from the standpoint of all of the read's and audibles that must be made to insure its' success. This ain't Gus's offense and if it were, you might have a point, but you don't.

3) The NFL teams can't seem to find anyone who actually knows Mallett that has anything at all bad to say about the young man. Everything seems to be based solely on "rumors" with no concrete foundation.

4) All of the NFL teams recognize that Mallett has a far superior arm to anyone else in the draft with the ability to make throws that no one else in the draft has exhibited.

And finally, comparing a kid with academic issues that had to transfer to a JC to get his grades up before he could come back to Div I to Mallett, isn't even an equal or legit comparison. Mallett has already proven himself, Carter has not.

No one, in the absence of an agenda, is as removed from the reality of the circumstances at hand as you have exhibited. If you wish to be viewed as someone with an agenda against Mallett, keep spewing this illogical, untrue dribble.
Go Hogs Go!

Tomhog™

Quote from: BamaFreak on April 04, 2011, 08:02:34 pm
I wasn't making a reference to a specific player, just making an observation about CBP's ability to develop QBs.

True, he did develop Casey Dick into one of the better passers in the conference in 2008.  He had quite a few 300+ yard games.

Boston RedHogs

I understand Bama is a perennial contender, but for the life of me, I can't understand why any quality receiver in their right mind would want to play in that run-heavy system.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: BuckeyeNation on April 05, 2011, 12:05:10 am

Uhm, yeah, they do.  Apparently you don't pay that close attention to what happens in February each year.

The SEC teams recruit heavily in Texas and other areas outside the SEC because of just this very reason.  HS players know the SEC is the best and tons and tons of them desire to play here to play in the best conference.

For most SEC teams, I'd say 80% of our out of region recruits come to play here for this very reason.  This is why 2/3 of our teams end up in the top 20 each year in recruiting.

DeltaBoy

Nick is working hard to build another NC team.   That lose last year to the Cow School is hung in his crawl all year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on April 05, 2011, 09:25:06 am
I understand Bama is a perennial contender, but for the life of me, I can't understand why any quality receiver in their right mind would want to play in that run-heavy system.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I believe Bama produced a first team All-SEC receiver last season, who will be a high first round draft choice in this springs NFL draft.  They have highly rated QB's with big arms on their roster.  They DO throw the ball -- not like Bobby perhaps, but they are fairly balanced.  They are highly ranked each year.  They have recently won a NC. They are very high profile nationally.

Need more reasons?