Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm tired of nice guys

Started by claycohog, February 08, 2006, 09:26:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

claycohog

Stan Heath and HDN are not paid to be nice guys.  I've had it with the nice guy bullcrap.  The world is full of nice guys.  UofA athletics is the only show in town, and we hire nice guys to get the job done. NEWSFLASH!  The job is not getting done, and the fan base is to blame.  Us as fans are tolerating this crap, US!  If it takes hiring the 2 biggest A-HOLES in the world to start winning consistently in BB and FB, then I'm all for it.  These 2 men are paid to win games, not to be nice guys.  That's the bottom line!

snortman

I've been saying that for years...... Clean house I say, starting at the top. Its a business, not a boys club.

JIHawg

Coack K is nice.  You can be a nice guy and still win ballgames.  It ain't about being nice.  And remember, most of the complaining about Nolan was his off-court antics, and things he would say, and his sullen demeanor.  Now I hear some guys saying that stuff doesn't matter as long as we win.  It mattered to a lot of people with Nolan.

Foots

Pete Carroll is a pretty nice guy too.

nwarazfan

Dean Smith was a "nice" coach.  Nicer than Coach K is during games.  All will not be fixed with a** chewings.  BBall will be closer to fixed when Heath gets guards that can shoot and Nutt when he can get depth on the OL and DL including SEC size DE.  Heath could choke Jeff and Ferg and Brewer and Mod daily.  Doesn't mean they'll be able to shoot consistantly.

hogsanity

IF aholes win titles, Bobby Knight should have a ton more than he does. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: claycohog on February 08, 2006, 09:26:56 am
Stan Heath and HDN are not paid to be nice guys.  I've had it with the nice guy bullcrap.  The world is full of nice guys.  UofA athletics is the only show in town, and we hire nice guys to get the job done. NEWSFLASH!  The job is not getting done, and the fan base is to blame.  Us as fans are tolerating this crap, US!  If it takes hiring the 2 biggest A-HOLES in the world to start winning consistently in BB and FB, then I'm all for it.  These 2 men are paid to win games, not to be nice guys.  That's the bottom line!
Good point.  Look at Stoops...what an a$$hole....total a$$hole in my opinion.  But, a damn good coach in my opinion also.  I'd take an a$$hole for a coach if it meant winning national championships.  I guess a lot of people probably thought Richardson an a$$hole too...he sure didn't come across as one of the "nice" guys like you talk about.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogfan064

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 08, 2006, 10:10:43 am
Quote from: claycohog on February 08, 2006, 09:26:56 am
Good point.  Look at Stoops...what an a$$hole....total a$$hole in my opinion.  But, a damn good coach in my opinion also.  I'd take an a$$hole for a coach if it meant winning national championships.  I guess a lot of people probably thought Richardson an a$$hole too...he sure didn't come across as one of the "nice" guys like you talk about.

The 2nd best coach in SEC history is not a nice guy.  Steve Orr Spurrier is about as big of a jerk as anyone.  Gotta love the guy though he tells it like it is and doesn't care what anyone thinks of him. 

claycohog

My point is we need to do whatever it takes to win.  If it means hiring jerks to get it done.  Make a freakin list.

Ugly Uncle

Spurrier is a big jerk...but I would take him over Nutt.  There are guys you wouldn't want here because they are too over the top.  But I prefer winning over guys that would make good deacons.
Retired Radio Host

nwarazfan

Quote from: claycohog on February 08, 2006, 10:25:41 am
My point is we need to do whatever it takes to win.  If it means hiring jerks to get it done.  Make a freakin list.

It doesn't take jerks.  It takes recruiting.  It takes knowing the system you want to run and understanding your conf opponents and evaluating the kids to fit your system that can win in that conference.  Stan has failed at this not his personality.  Stan wants to run the Mich St system.  So far he hasn't gotten the pieces - tough PG, athletic/scoring SG and strong dominant frontcourt rebounders.  Has nothing to do with him being a 'nice' coach. 

Nutt has failed to recruit qb's who could provide a reliable passing attack and OL to protect them in the passing game.  Not that he has been too 'nice.'

casken

I don't think "nice" is a big issue.  Being a good aka honorable person, however, is important.  Not to worry... the debate will be solved if the "good" men don't start putting more "Ws" in the stat columns.  JMOHO the I'd like to see the coaches we have be successful.  If and when they are ushered on I'll have the same wish for the next coaches.  Even us "Nutthuggers" can be weary of losing as well. I do believe there are better days ahead, however.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

The Master Of All

The Master notes that different personalities work with different teams.  The responsibility of the coach is to recruit a team that works well with not only the coach's personality but the personalities of the fellow student-athletes.  Whether or not those players are 5-star recruits.
Without me, you people would just be confused.

claycohog

Yeah, but when you try to bring up the problems that these coaches have to the so-called huggers  the story always concludes with how these guys are good men or we could have alot worse up here.  Thats bullcrap.  By the way, Coach K is a jack-ass, but his players respect him and would run through a brick wall for him.  Maybe the real issue is respect and how HDN or ST can't earn that from their players.  You can't teach respect you have to earn it.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: claycohog on February 08, 2006, 11:42:06 am
Yeah, but when you try to bring up the problems that these coaches have to the so-called huggers  the story always concludes with how these guys are good men or we could have alot worse up here.  Thats bullcrap.  By the way, Coach K is a jack-ass, but his players respect him and would run through a brick wall for him.  Maybe the real issue is respect and how HDN or ST can't earn that from their players.  You can't teach respect you have to earn it.

I think BUTCH could get the team to run through a brick wall......

Hogs4Ever

I don't want to bring in someone that would have us getting NCAA sanctions due to violations.

I agree completely otherwise though.  Nice guys can be volunteer workers and preachers.  We need coaches that can build winning programs and if that takes a A-HOLE Jerk, then so be it!

pigfeet

"Respect"  is the key word. I don't think all the players respect Heath. Townes, Brewer, Modica, McCurdy, McGowan and maybe even Ferguson.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 08, 2006, 09:57:03 am
Dean Smith was a "nice" coach.  Nicer than Coach K is during games.  All will not be fixed with a** chewings.  BBall will be closer to fixed when Heath gets guards that can shoot and Nutt when he can get depth on the OL and DL including SEC size DE.  Heath could choke Jeff and Ferg and Brewer and Mod daily.  Doesn't mean they'll be able to shoot consistantly.

No it doesn't mean they will shoot consistently, but EFFORT is what the team is lacking.  Ya if we could shoot 70% we would win every game, but so could any team that could shoot like that.  Our shooting isn't great but its not horrible either.  What gets us is when teams go on a 30-6 run b/c we are playing like it is a charity pee wee soccer game that has no winner.  Piss on that.  We need Effort, Passion, Pride, Blood, Sweat, Tears, any other fricking cliche that will make them want it.  WE NEED THE DRIVE TO SUCCEED
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

HogInaStrangeLand

I think hitting them with a Mac10 and putting them on the grill could also put them through a brick wall....
The 'Nice Guy' idea has little to do with it.
Don't equate losing passively with 'nice guys', or winning actively with jackasses.

Oh, by the way, Fat Phil used to win a lot. You want him?

And 'No', I personally would rather have mediocracy with a coach I could respect than some jackass that won NC every single year. (For the record I would most prefer someone like John McDonald who is both a nice guy and wins NC every single year.)

Please no one be so short-sighted to plague our society for a lifetime with poorly developed people who lack positive character because we wanted a winning record for a couple of years...I'd rather a team that fight like Razorbacks.  Growing up I always felt like Arkansas was the underdog, even when we weren't, and those teams played like it and in turn won most of their games.

lyon98

You need either a tough disciplinarian as a coach or an enforcer as an assistant. Broyles had Wilson Matthews.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

HogInaStrangeLand

hogtheball

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2006, 10:09:00 am

He's won three.  How many "nice" coaches have won more?
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

RazorHawg16

[/quote]

too bad he is not going to be the coach huh? HDN is the coach ACCEPT IT!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on February 08, 2006, 02:49:30 pm

too bad he is not going to be the coach huh? HDN is the coach ACCEPT IT!
[/quote]

That really is too bad.  It is really sad.  It is disheartening.  It is tragic.  But, who am I talking to.  Anyone that can actually think that is a good thing is either delusional or just trying to stir things up.  I believe you are one of those just trying to get people going on here.  I don't believe you are typing from a mental ward are you?
Retired Radio Host

Clark W Grishawg

Quote from: JIHawg on February 08, 2006, 09:45:57 am
Coack K is nice.  You can be a nice guy and still win ballgames.  It ain't about being nice.  And remember, most of the complaining about Nolan was his off-court antics, and things he would say, and his sullen demeanor.  Now I hear some guys saying that stuff doesn't matter as long as we win.  It mattered to a lot of people with Nolan.
Wrong. Coach K is about as raw as they come.

3 National Championships. His 1976 team is the last to go undefeated in a season.

At Indiana they won 11 Big Ten titles and went to five final fours.

Four times national coach of the year.

His record going into this year was 832-322.

He won a national championship as a player.

16 former assistants became head coaches. Most notable, Mike Krzyzewski.

hogsanity

Quote from: ConwayHog on February 08, 2006, 03:11:34 pm

He's only won 800 something games.  Man, I guess he should be at 900 already huh?  You amaze me Hogsanity, you really do.

People dont pick up on subtle comments do they.  Knight has won what he has won because he is a good coach.  Not because he curses all the time, not because he is hard on his players, not because he hates the media.

And, I think with little debate he is the biggest ahole in coaching, at least in major college.  THerefore if just being a jerk makes you good, he should have more titles. 

Being a good coach wins games.  Teaching/recruiting/adjusting.  There are many different ways to do those things. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

realtorhog

Quote from: JIHawg on February 08, 2006, 09:45:57 am

Ever seen any tape of Coach K's practices?  He makes Nolan look like a girl.  Anything but a nice guy.