Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

Mike Tirico(sp)
Tony Kornheiser
Joe Theisman

What do you guys think?
Retired Radio Host

TuckFexas

Tonky K? He's great on PTI but not sure about doing MNF.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

hogsanity

I think I will watch with the sound turned OFF.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan064

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the broadcasters don't get me watching the game.  I wish they were able to set the games up during the season.  I know you can't change the game time 1 week in advance, but you could do it 2-3 weeks in advance.  This could help avoid us watching 2 four win teams play in week 14.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 08, 2006, 08:41:54 am
Maybe I'm in the minority, but the broadcasters don't get me watching the game.  I wish they were able to set the games up during the season.  I know you can't change the game time 1 week in advance, but you could do it 2-3 weeks in advance.  This could help avoid us watching 2 four win teams play in week 14.

Actually that is part of the new deal the NFL has with ESPN and with the NFL network.  These games, late in the season will be moved to get the better matchups on tv.  The NFL net gets 8 THur and Sat night games starting Thanksgiving night.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ugly Uncle

Yeah, ESPN just announced it on the Mike and Mike show.

Tony was a question for me also.  Have you noticed that he never actually goes to any games?  He is always in studio.  He says he doesn't like to travel!  I like him.  I think he is funny in that old dad joke kind of way...but I don't think he can get all the teams to play their games in the PTI studio.
Retired Radio Host

Hoggy Mo Pena

A Boy Named Sue E.

Hogs4Ever

The announcers are not going to cause me or stop me from watching a game.

Calvin N Hawgs

Mike is the only one I like.  What is Joe Theisman going to do without Paul to argue with?  (I couldn't stand he and Paul McGuire on Sunday night ESPN football)...   

On a side note, am I the only one who thinks Troy Aikman turned out to be a really good color guy?

Allister Fiend

Is anyone here a fan of the old show, 'Coach?"

It's funny how that show subtly made fun of things without making it obvious. If you will remember the first season Hayden is at Orlando he goes 1-15 on the season. He goes into the final game 0-15 and playing on Monday Night Football against the Arizona Cardinals. How about that?

Anyway, I just remembered that and it was funny how the writers of the show were able to work in the way MNF always has bad teams matched up by the end of the season without making it terribly obvious. That was a great series and I really miss it. Jerry Van Dyke was too funny and made the show. I prefer the Minnesota State days myself, but the entire series rocked.

hogsanity

S.P.A.M. Hog

:puke: :puke:

I can't stand any of them......Tony K is the worst I have ever heard doing anything sports related. I think some of the sideline babes would have been better than him! Mike I can handle....Joe is marginal, at least he will not have the Blob to argue with.....can't stand Maguire.

If ESPN wants me to watch they have to change their NFL pre-game show. That my friends, is the worst sports show to ever be broadcast.
Just as the dark ages passed, so will the effects of poor coaching for the last ten years. But more importantly the Razorback Nation will be unified.

The new era has begun...

hogfan064

Quote from: Allister Fiend on February 08, 2006, 09:06:06 am
Is anyone here a fan of the old show, 'Coach?"

It's funny how that show subtly made fun of things without making it obvious. If you will remember the first season Hayden is at Orlando he goes 1-15 on the season. He goes into the final game 0-15 and playing on Monday Night Football against the Arizona Cardinals. How about that?

Anyway, I just remembered that and it was funny how the writers of the show were able to work in the way MNF always has bad teams matched up by the end of the season without making it terribly obvious. That was a great series and I really miss it. Jerry Van Dyke was too funny and made the show. I prefer the Minnesota State days myself, but the entire series rocked.

That really was a good show.  Nick at Nite was showing it about 2 years ago, but I haven't seen it since.  The "Sreaming Eagle" days were definitely the best.  When he went to Orlando the show had lost its luster.  Think the writers ripped off the name Hayden from Iowa's coach?

JusticeHawg

My question is how are they going to be able to keep Tony awake during the game seeing as he says he is always asleep by 9pm Washington time.    If I was going to take one of the 2 to do a color job it would have been Michael Wilbon......but to be honest I wouldnt have taken either.

I would have tried to lure Buck and Aikman away from Fox and gone with a 2 man booth.......and yeah Calvin I think that right now Aikman is the best color guy in the game today.
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: JusticeHawg on February 08, 2006, 09:12:43 am
My question is how are they going to be able to keep Tony awake during the game seeing as he says he is always asleep by 9pm Washington time.    If I was going to take one of the 2 to do a color job it would have been Michael Wilbon......but to be honest I wouldnt have taken either.

I would have tried to lure Buck and Aikman away from Fox and gone with a 2 man booth.......and yeah Calvin I think that right now Aikman is the best color guy in the game today.

I agree with the comment about Aikman.  I really didn't think he would be any good at all.  But with Buck he does really well.  I think they are a good team.  I hope Fox keeps them together.
Retired Radio Host

JIHawg

UU-what women will be on the sideline?  The talking heads come and go, as long as they don't put some dufus commedian in there.  Personally, I go back to the days of Cosell and Dandy Don, and it ain't been the same since.

HairyHog

Ugly Uncle

I'm sorry...they said who the women would be, but I wasn't paying that much attention.  After they announced the three booth guys I was only half way listening to the show.
Retired Radio Host

hogfan064

There are few announcers who I will stop what I'm doing and listen to.  2 of them are from other SEC schools

Larry Munson-Best play by play guy ever
Eli Gold-Voice of NASCAR and the Tide
Keith Jackson-Voice of College Football

Allister Fiend

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 08, 2006, 09:12:11 am
That really was a good show.  Nick at Nite was showing it about 2 years ago, but I haven't seen it since.  The "Sreaming Eagle" days were definitely the best.  When he went to Orlando the show had lost its luster.  Think the writers ripped off the name Hayden from Iowa's coach?

Yeah, they tried to use familier names. The show comes on UPN out of New York (WWOR - I get it on Dish Network) at 10:30 AM and USA at 11:00 AM everyday. I Tivo the episodes everyday and watch them at night. It was a great sports sit com.

Hoggy Mo Pena

I just hope NBC doesn't suck as much at pro football as they do with NASCAR!

JusticeHawg

My favorite on air guys for all sports past and present......

Keith Jackson with ABC college football...

Jack Buck....loved hearing him on radio.....where you could hear all the background noise.....beer and peanut venders....made me think I was at the game and just had my eyes closed...

Vin Skully......one of the best ever.....rate him right up there with jack....

Joe Buck best in the game now...both football and baseball.....

Troy Aikman ...color.....

Bob Griese.....color CFB.....was better with Keith than he is now with Brent Musburger....

Harry Carry.....before the stroke.....just got to love a homer.....he was a homer for whoever he called be it the Cubs, White Sox or Cardinals.....

Steve Stone IMO is the best baseball color guy in the business.  Not a homer.....not an a## hole like freaking (Joe I know it all and did it all better than anyone else Morgan)

Ron Franklin CFB on ESPN saturday nights.  

Chip Carry and Don Sutton on TBS.

Paul Eells.....enough said...
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Calvin N Hawgs

hogfan064

Quote from: Hoggy Mo Pena on February 08, 2006, 09:29:12 am
I just hope NBC doesn't suck as much at pro football as they do with NASCAR!

Yes, the NBC coverage is awful for NASCAR.  Fox does a great job with it and a good job with the NFL.  It will be interesting to see how they do with College Football and the BCS

HoggerNocker

Quote from: JIHawg on February 08, 2006, 09:16:11 am
UU-what women will be on the sideline?  The talking heads come and go, as long as they don't put some dufus commedian in there.  Personally, I go back to the days of Cosell and Dandy Don, and it ain't been the same since.
Suzy Kolber and Michelle Tafoya will be sideline reporters.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2323121

hogfan064

My favorite color commentator is myself.  I do broadcast for a local highschool. 

BigPapaHawg

Tony Kornheiser and Joe Theisman I know I will be watching with the volume turned all the way down!
WOO PIG

Foots

I myself love the Saturday night crew on ESPN. I remember watching the 7 overtime game with Ole Miss. That was my favorite crew. I hate they split them up. I think it was Ron Franklin, Bill Curry, and Mike Golic.

Mark_Freeman

i think tony k can be pretty good. if youve listened to his radio show and watched PTI, he is a funny guy, and for color thats what he'll be. i mean i dont know if id like him to be play by play, but i think he'll do ok. i dont really care for theisman though, he's ok, but he rambles a lot.

HighOnHogs

Mark_Freeman

thank you scott, tony's radio show was my all time favorite. i hope he is as good in MNF and doesnt turn into another Dennis Miller, that was a disaster.

lyon98

Joe Theisman could will talk for three hours w/o a football game.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Whataboar™

Great to see Tony aboard.
I record 'PTI' everyday on the DVR because of the humor he bounces off co-host Michael Wilbon.
My favorite being his 'Oh, yeah. But could he see Uranus (pronounced: you're anus)?' that he uses every chance he gets.
I know it's simple-minded stuff but I can't help loving it.
Maybe he can bring that kind of humor to the booth, too.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 08, 2006, 11:51:32 am
Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2006, 09:07:53 am
Madden followed Michaels to Sun Night NBC

Actually, it was the other way around. Madden was going to NBC's Football Night in America no matter what. Cris Collinsworth was being groomed to do play-by-play. Michaels had one year left on his ABC/ESPN contract. But decided he wanted out of it to follow Madden to NBC. So now Collinsworth will joing Bob Costas (and perhaps Jerome Bettis) in the studio for the pregame show.

As for Kornheiser, I still think he had the best ESPN Radio show I ever heard. It was smart and funny, but I'm not sure how he'll translate to MNF.
Tony's "old guy radio" was great.  His show was so entertaining b/c it was so different from any other sports talk show out there.  Loved the East-coast sarcasm, Jewish humor, self-degradation, and his love of anything Beatles.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

3kgthog

Do you guys think that ABC/Disney/ESPN would pity me and give me a job if I let LT destroy my leg just like Theiman's? It would almost be worth it since I'd still have my arms to count my new riches with.

Tirico = good choice
Theisman = what in the name of Stan Heath were they thinking?
Korn = at least he won't be like Dennis Miller and make references to obscure celebrities that just makes you want to say WTH is he talking about?