Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'M NOT CATHOLIC, BUT DUKE HAS DRIVEN ME TO CONFESSION...

Started by hogtheball, February 08, 2006, 12:15:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogtheball

My conscience has been guilt-ridden as of late. I've been a Razorback fan since the first time I saw Sidney Moncrief play at Barnhill as a little boy.  I've been loyal to the Hogs, through thick and thin and continue to hold onto hope each and every day.

As most of you agree, it is spiritually impossible to be both a Razorback fan and a Duke fan. Who wouldn't pay good money to shove an ice pick under the small toenail of Christian Laettner?  Who wouldn't love to see them go down to Illinois Vocational school in the first round of the tournament?  Who wouldn't love to shave coach K's beautiful head of hair?

As of late, however - something has gone terribly wrong.  J.J. Reddick.

I try to hate REddick.  I repeat to myself "I hate Reddick, I hate Reddick,"  then Duke comes on TV.  "I hate Reddick," I remind myself. He leans forward, shoulders up the defender, then jumps away from the basket - a fadeaway, swish from 28.  "I hate Reddick, but that was beautiful."   He rolls through a pick,  "Reddick sucks," I remind myself,   SWISH!!!  What a shot...I love this game, just not Duke, or REddick. 

Usually, by the end of the game I'm a freakin' Dukie. I wake up the next morning ashamed of what I've done.  I have no self-respect.  I then start the whole process over again hating Reddick.  tonight he scored 35 against NC.  My wife heard me cheering for Duke.

Please, I beg of you, Smite me like the wind for what I have done.  Sidney, wherever you are, forgive me for what I've done.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

swineymcswine

It is hard to dislike Duke if you are a fan of the game of basketball. They just do everything the right way. Coach K is a great coach and proven winner. All of that makes it that much sweeter that we won our lone NC in basketball over the Duke Blue Devils 76-72. Man that 94 team could sure close out a game!!

hogsno1

The #1 reason I can't stand the Dukies is because of the bald head boys Prick Vitale and Billy Slacker, what a pair of Coach K homers.

abq

Quote from: hogtheball on February 08, 2006, 12:15:11 am
My conscience has been guilt-ridden as of late. I've been a Razorback fan since the first time I saw Sidney Moncrief play at Barnhill as a little boy.  I've been loyal to the Hogs, through thick and thin and continue to hold onto hope each and every day.

As most of you agree, it is spiritually impossible to be both a Razorback fan and a Duke fan. Who wouldn't pay good money to shove an ice pick under the small toenail of Christian Laettner?  Who wouldn't love to see them go down to Illinois Vocational school in the first round of the tournament?  Who wouldn't love to shave coach K's beautiful head of hair?

As of late, however - something has gone terribly wrong.  J.J. Reddick.

I try to hate REddick.  I repeat to myself "I hate Reddick, I hate Reddick,"  then Duke comes on TV.  "I hate Reddick," I remind myself. He leans forward, shoulders up the defender, then jumps away from the basket - a fadeaway, swish from 28.  "I hate Reddick, but that was beautiful."   He rolls through a pick,  "Reddick sucks," I remind myself,   SWISH!!!  What a shot...I love this game, just not Duke, or REddick. 

Usually, by the end of the game I'm a freakin' Dukie. I wake up the next morning ashamed of what I've done.  I have no self-respect.  I then start the whole process over again hating Reddick.  tonight he scored 35 against NC.  My wife heard me cheering for Duke.

Please, I beg of you, Smite me like the wind for what I have done.  Sidney, wherever you are, forgive me for what I've done.

Sorry, can't smite you. Hilarious post.

hogsrock

Quote from: swineymcswine on February 08, 2006, 01:34:16 am
It is hard to dislike Duke if you are a fan of the game of basketball. They just do everything the right way. Coach K is a great coach and proven winner. All of that makes it that much sweeter that we won our lone NC in basketball over the Duke Blue Devils 76-72. Man that 94 team could sure close out a game!!

Just think how good we would be right now if our players played as hard as Duke or our 94 team.  Hell, I wish we played as hard as NC or KY or TN or AL for Christ's sake.
"It's easy to fix mistakes if the exposed flaws are unusual.  But when these flaws are fundamental weaknesses that haven't been corrected for years the idea that a problem may be too serious to correct is sobering."  Bacon

fineswine

Reddick is such a whine bag.  Jeez, reminds me of Danny Ainge with the cry-baby shtick.  The guy can shoot, don't get me wrong, but you don't win championships shooting jumpshots.  I can't wait to see what fool NBA team blows a lottery pick on a slow, can't create his own shot, dud.  J.J. Dunleavy is more like it.

hogsrock

Quote from: fineswine on February 08, 2006, 07:03:37 am
Reddick is such a whine bag.  Jeez, reminds me of Danny Ainge with the cry-baby shtick.  The guy can shoot, don't get me wrong, but you don't win championships shooting jumpshots.  I can't wait to see what fool NBA team blows a lottery pick on a slow, can't create his own shot, dud.  J.J. Dunleavy is more like it.

Didn't see J.J. whine a single time last night.  I did see him bust his butt the entire game though.
"It's easy to fix mistakes if the exposed flaws are unusual.  But when these flaws are fundamental weaknesses that haven't been corrected for years the idea that a problem may be too serious to correct is sobering."  Bacon

mbgrulz

cant create his own shot? did you see him break that guy off with that behind the back move. not to mention he then stepped back and drained one of his 5 treys. that is one of the toughest shots in the book. jj began as only a shooter. he has worked on his game, and now he is the best player in the nation. we have plenty of duds on our team to worry about before we worry about anybody else's.

cardinalhawg

No doubt, Duke is an exciting team to watch and Reddick is an exciting player to watch.

The Coletrain

I must confess, I've been a Duke fan since the early '80s when they had Johnnie Dawkins, Tommy Amaker, Mark Alarie, and so on.  It never once affected my love for the Hogs until the NCAA Championship game in '94.  And of course I rooted for my Piggies.  But I just love the way they do things.  If I had a son and he could play anywhere in the country, it would be hard for me to not want him to play for Coach K.  But over the years I've found I'm definitely in the minority.  It's the popular things to love to hate Duke, but most folks can't even give me a good reason why.  And I'm okay with that.  I don't take the attacks personal like I do with UA, but it's ammusing to hear the lame reasons why people don't like Duke.  And it's beyond me how anyone could not like Coach K.  But I guess that's one more reason why I love college basketball.     
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

hogtheball

Dude, no disrespect, but have you actually watched Reddick play?  The guy can shoot a 30-foot fadeaway running away from the basket (there aren't 3 guys alive today that can do what he does with a b-ball).  Sort of Mark Price meets Michael Jordan when it comes to shooting.  To make matter worse, his defense is great. Have you seen Peja play in the NBA. Reddick is better at everything than Peja, and he's an All-star.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HoopS

And it's beyond me how anyone could not like Coach K. 

Are you serious?   He never stops working the officials from opening tip to the end.   But mostly for me, it's Dickie V riding his jock for about 15 years now. 

If you are asking if he is a good coach?  Absolutely yes.

How could I not like him?  Duke is a great team... but thanks to his constant yapping .... they get sooooooooooooooo many calls.  And this has been happening since the Hurley days. 

While I am on this soapbox, Gary Williams is just as bad about riding the officials constantly.   Nolan was pretty good at it too.

dukefan

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 08:09:35 am

Are you serious?   He never stops working the officials from opening tip to the end.   But mostly for me, it's Dickie V riding his jock for about 15 years now. 

How could I not like him?  Duke is a great team... but thanks to his constant yapping .... they get sooooooooooooooo many calls.  And this has been happening since the Hurley days. 

While I am on this soapbox, Gary Williams is just as bad about riding the officials constantly.   Nolan was pretty good at it too.
I understand everyone thinks they get all the calls, and they do get a lot.  With that being said there is going to be a time when the officials don't give them any calls because they don't want people to think they are giving them calls!  All that said I don't know how many people watched the game last night, but they got NO CALLS last night!!!!

HoopS

The tech against FSU was ridiculous and I would be embarassed to have such a blatantly bad call go my direction.  Last night, other than the over and back right in front of the official, it was called pretty well for the parts I saw.

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 08:09:35 am

Are you serious?   He never stops working the officials from opening tip to the end.   But mostly for me, it's Dickie V riding his jock for about 15 years now. 

While I am on this soapbox, Gary Williams is just as bad about riding the officials constantly.   Nolan was pretty good at it too.
Hoop hog: two days in a row that i have to disagree with you man! You don't like Coach K for working the officials, cool, but why was Nolan good at it then??? That is there job man, work the hell out of them and if it gets you one call on the night then he has done his job. I for one don't think they got a single break last night. How many time was the NC players over the back?

dukefan

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 08:32:11 am
The tech against FSU was ridiculous and I would be embarassed to have such a blatantly bad call go my direction.  Last night, other than the over and back right in front of the official, it was called pretty well for the parts I saw.
Both blocks were all BALL!!!!

hogsNbeer

I've come to be a Duke fan since the 80s, and I've come up for a reason that most everyone hates them.... I compare them(or Redick) to the days of Larry Bird...... Not Flashy, just won...... Didn't dunk the ball behind his back with a flip in the air, Bird just WON....College and in the PROS.....He's a winner....So is Redick, and so is Coach K....... and they do it the right way..... They don't flaunt it, they just beat you...... Everybody hates Duke, because they find a way to beat your team more than not.....Redick will do very well in the PROS..... Will most likely be the player of the year this year...... the kid is tough, he plays at 110% the WHOLE game and doesn't quit until the last buzzer sounds....... I wish Arkansas had 5 of him........ Duke does it right and they are a very fine team, and program because of it..... And whoever in the hell whines because they get all the calls.... I've seen them get calls, I've seen them on the wrong end of bad calls....It doesn't matter-- they still find a way to win.....IT IS COACH K's JOB TO GIVE THE REFS HELL!!!   Heath should do it more......... Don't hate Duke because they win...

dukefan

Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 08, 2006, 08:51:19 am
I've come to be a Duke fan since the 80s, and I've come up for a reason that most everyone hates them.... I compare them(or Redick) to the days of Larry Bird...... Not Flashy, just won...... Didn't dunk the ball behind his back with a flip in the air, Bird just WON....College and in the PROS.....He's a winner....So is Redick, and so is Coach K....... and they do it the right way..... They don't flaunt it, they just beat you...... Everybody hates Duke, because they find a way to beat your team more than not.....Redick will do very well in the PROS..... Will most likely be the player of the year this year...... the kid is tough, he plays at 110% the WHOLE game and doesn't quit until the last buzzer sounds....... I wish Arkansas had 5 of him........ Duke does it right and they are a very fine team, and program because of it..... And whoever in the hell whines because they get all the calls.... I've seen them get calls, I've seen them on the wrong end of bad calls....It doesn't matter-- they still find a way to win.....IT IS COACH K's JOB TO GIVE THE REFS HELL!!!   Heath should do it more......... Don't hate Duke because they win...
Man, you better watch out on this board you go to hell if you like two teams, so I guess I will meet you there!

The Coletrain

Every time I hear that Duke gets all the calls I think about when they got absolutely jobbed in the Final Four against UCONN two years ago.  They were the best team in the country taking it to UCONN and got hammered by the officials in the last two minutes of the game.  That was the most irritated I ever got after a game that I wasn't in or Arkansas wasn't playing.  And it cost them what would have certainly been a national championship.  So they don't get all the calls as a lot of people would like to think.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: dukefan on February 08, 2006, 08:53:47 am
Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 08, 2006, 08:51:19 am
I've come to be a Duke fan since the 80s, and I've come up for a reason that most everyone hates them.... I compare them(or Redick) to the days of Larry Bird...... Not Flashy, just won...... Didn't dunk the ball behind his back with a flip in the air, Bird just WON....College and in the PROS.....He's a winner....So is Redick, and so is Coach K....... and they do it the right way..... They don't flaunt it, they just beat you...... Everybody hates Duke, because they find a way to beat your team more than not.....Redick will do very well in the PROS..... Will most likely be the player of the year this year...... the kid is tough, he plays at 110% the WHOLE game and doesn't quit until the last buzzer sounds....... I wish Arkansas had 5 of him........ Duke does it right and they are a very fine team, and program because of it..... And whoever in the hell whines because they get all the calls.... I've seen them get calls, I've seen them on the wrong end of bad calls....It doesn't matter-- they still find a way to win.....IT IS COACH K's JOB TO GIVE THE REFS HELL!!!   Heath should do it more......... Don't hate Duke because they win...
Man, you better watch out on this board you go to hell if you like two teams, so I guess I will meet you there!

That's fine..... Gotta go somewhere, right?      I'll see you there.... It's just irritating sometimes to hear people jeer them, or Redick for no reason........  I guess that's what happens when you go to 14 Final Fours.......

HoopS

mi-ky.... it's all good that we don't always agree. 

Make no mistake, I respect the Duke program.  They are a proven quantity... no doubt.   Coach K just gets on my nerves.  I didn't say I liked watching Nolan ream the officials... to be honest, I know it works in their favor to do that.   I have been an official.  And the squicky wheel does get the oil.   

As far as Reddick goes, he is without a doubt one of the purest shooters I have ever witnessed. 

I compared my stance about Duke with my stance about a certain orange team.  Just because they win and have great players, I don't have to like them and no matter how much I get "smited" for being honest, I can live with my beliefs.

The Coletrain

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 09:14:41 am

Make no mistake, I respect the Duke program.  They are a proven quantity... no doubt.   Coach K just gets on my nerves.  I didn't say I liked watching Nolan ream the officials... to be honest, I know it works in their favor to do that.   I have been an official.  And the squicky wheel does get the oil.  

As far as Reddick goes, he is without a doubt one of the purest shooters I have ever witnessed. 

I compared my stance about Duke with my stance about a certain orange team.  Just because they win and have great players, I don't have to like them and no matter how much I get "smited" for being honest, I can live with my beliefs.

The last statement you made is good enough for me, hoophogs.  And that's the beauty of sports.  You don't really have to have a reason for who you root for.  I guess there doesn't have to be some deep connection with a team, but as Jerry Seinfeld says, "You root for the jersey."  He's a bum in New York, but when he puts on your jersey he's the sun on a rainy day.

hogindallas

I've always been a Razorback fan...all sports.  I happen to have a secondary love/respect for Duke Basketball (more specifically Coach K ball)  There wasn't any doubt who I was rooting for in the '94 Championship game, my loyalty was always with my beloved Hogs.  I just wanted to say that I think some that don't like Duke remind me of the people that "didn't like/respect Jordan".  Winners tend to be hated by some..its a fact..and well, a consistent winner (or one that dominates) is hated even more.  Coach K has been (IMO) the best in the college game for yrs..by that I mean best teacher, best disciplinarian, best sideline coach, best recruiter...you name it.  His teams always play hard, make very little mistakes, and do ALL of the little things necessary to W I N.  I have major respect for their program as long as he's running it. 

I haven't noticed Reddick's whining being a problem, to me, that's a comment from someone looking, hoping he'll fail, or not liking him for his on-the-court-success.

Pioneer Fan

I met Redick at the state baseball tournament in Blytheville last year. I only talked to him for a few minutes but he seemed like a great guy. I am not a Duke basketball fan, but I can't find fault in him at all.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

pokeydaman

you got to give em respect..they win...year after year, different players, same story.  Heres the difference....the FRESHMAN point guard for Duke...cant remember his name....after a foul, gathered his players together in the paint..and continued to gnaw on them, and I mean, chewing like a coach would chew on a player.  After the free throws, that team got on a roll and extended their lead. Now..is that player ability? is that coaching? whatever it is....duke has it.  our beloved Hogs, god bless them, dont have that fire. 

The Coletrain

Quote from: pokeydaman on February 08, 2006, 10:05:16 am
you got to give em respect..they win...year after year, different players, same story.  Heres the difference....the FRESHMAN point guard for Duke...cant remember his name....after a foul, gathered his players together in the paint..and continued to gnaw on them, and I mean, chewing like a coach would chew on a player.  After the free throws, that team got on a roll and extended their lead. Now..is that player ability? is that coaching? whatever it is....duke has it.  our beloved Hogs, god bless them, dont have that fire. 

Great point, pokeydaman.  Great point.

hogfan064

I don't hate Duke.  I hate North Carolina.  Tar Heel fans are the most arrogant group there is.  My hatred to UNC is so big that I pull for Duke just to spite UNC fans. 

dukefan

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on February 08, 2006, 10:02:40 am
I met Redick at the state baseball tournament in Blytheville last year. I only talked to him for a few minutes but he seemed like a great guy. I am not a Duke basketball fan, but I can't find fault in him at all.
What was he doing there?

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 09:14:41 am

Make no mistake, I respect the Duke program.  They are a proven quantity... no doubt.   Coach K just gets on my nerves.  I didn't say I liked watching Nolan ream the officials... to be honest, I know it works in their favor to do that.   I have been an official.  And the squicky wheel does get the oil.  

Hey man that is cool with me! If we all agreed on here it would be boring as hell. I shall applaud one time!!

MCPeePants

Reddick is like Pat Bradley, except with deeper range (Dillard-like), a better ability to create his own shot, and the ability to go inside the 3-point line and score.

I can see how he'd be easy to hate, but he's a damn good player. 

HoopS

it would be boring if everybody agreed 100%.

We all have our own personal reasons for the opinions we share on here and sometimes you may disagree with a person, but if you lived their life, you quite likely would have the same opinion.

Here is the irony in my "dis-like" of Duke.   I, in general, like Dick Vitale.  Yes he is annoying and loud...kinda like one of my uncles, but I love 'em anyway. That being said, it is because of DV that I started to not like Duke.  I just feel like he has a major man-crush on all things Duke and too much of anything can make you sick.  He can be working the St Johns v Georgetown game and I would be willing to beat a dollar to a donut that he somehow works Duke and the Prince(somebody help me here, what is the nickname he calls coach v?) Coach V into the telecast.   Not just every-once-in-a-while.... pretty much every game he calls he does it.

And still, everytime the last regular season game that he is calling come to a close, I get a little bit sad.

WILL CLINTON

Duke is my 2nd favorite basketball team behind the hogs.  I always pull for them except when they played the Hogs.  There is nothing wrong with noticing talent and respecting it, especially when you can't find it on your own team. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HoopS

dub.... I think most of us recognize and appreciate Duke.  Truth be told, if I had to choose a coach to win something, he would be very hi on my list. 

Just not a Duke fan. 

12under

duke without question is my second favorite bball team.  i mean they win, do every thing right, have a great coach, graduate players, and they laid the smack down to Texass this year

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: dukefan on February 08, 2006, 10:10:36 am
Quote from: Pioneer Fan on February 08, 2006, 10:02:40 am
What was he doing there?

Batesville was playing Crossett and Redick was there with Patrick Davidson. Patrick and Jordan Davidson are both on the team and are from Melbourne, Arkansas. Nick Davidson, their younger brother, plays baseball for the Pioneers. I think Patrick and J.J. were roommates last year and Redick came to stay with the Davidsons for a week or so.

While I was watching the game I noticed a player from Vilonia wearing a worn out Duke hat. It was obvious he had to be a big fan to wear such a horrible thing on his head. He stood about 10 feet from Redick and didn't even realize who he was.

slop

While watching Duke keep an eye out for #12 and #41 Jordan and Patrick Davidson. Just small town arkies playing with the big boys. Granted both were invited walkons and usually just play mop up rolls for now but they have had their moments with more to come.
Watcha kill that boy for Billy huh watcha kill'em for? Cause He was hackin' on me.

hogtheball

There are two Arkansans playing for Duke!!! Thank you. Now, I can be a Duke fan without any guilt. It's like finding out that ice cream is fat-free and calorie-free all at once.   Were these guys good in high school.  Why are they not playing at UofA???

slop

Long story short Patrick signed with Lehigh out of high school they fired their coach he opted out went to prep school at Blair Academy N.J. roomed with Loual Deng sp? coach K spent lots of time recruiting Deng saw Patrick invited him to walk on. Jordan took same route as big brother same results turned down southern miss thank God although he would have made them better. Played high school at aa Melbourne on very good teams just not as good as Altiemer.They had Patterson now at ole miss and another d1 signee or two
Watcha kill that boy for Billy huh watcha kill'em for? Cause He was hackin' on me.

hogtheball

wow, two brothers from Melbourne Arkansas playing together for Duke.  What an awesome experience.  I bet they have some stories to tell their kids some day.  I bet they're great kids, or coach K wouldn't have recruited the 2nd one. 

Pioneer Fan

Jordan had multiple D1 offers and Patrick was actually given Shavlik Randolph's scholarship when he opted to the NBA. Patrick isn't playing right now because of an injury but Jordan has seen some first half minutes this year. Patrick started a game last year and was assigned to harass Chris Paul if my memory serves me correctly. I am sure they aren't up to the McDonald's All-American talent level, but Nick told me that Patrick had the best vertical on the team, not bad but he is only 6' tall.

chiefsfan

Just sayin, but Duke isnt a catholic school...

even though I know that wasnt the point of the post...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hogtheball

I know - The confession part is the catholic reference.  You know, I feel guilty about rooting for Duke.  I must confess.  Catholics confess, right?

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogtheball on February 08, 2006, 01:59:14 pm
I know - The confession part is the catholic reference.  You know, I feel guilty about rooting for Duke.  I must confess.  Catholics confess, right?

heck if I know.   
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

billself4prez

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HouTxRzbck

I'm just glad we beat them to win our NC.  Scottie too Hottie, can't stop'm...Bring the rain...swish!!!!
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"