Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lots of warm and fuzzies from a group of "non-fans" last night

Started by PigPusher, February 06, 2006, 10:00:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigPusher

For the last twenty years we have hosted a Super Bowl party in our home for my wife's sorority and their friends. We set up television view centers throughout our home and everyone finds the group they in which they want to sit. My group last night consisted of about fifteen people with a mixture of people that were OU, OSU, Tulsa fans as well as some that didn't follow football very much.  I was the only one in the room a Razorback follower.

Around halftime one of the ladies, a former Canadian, brought up the subject of the Razorbacks and what they were doing with their recent changes etc. She told me she had always liked the Razorbacks as they were always very classy. As such she kept up with them and knew in some detail about the coaching changes, Mitch, Damian and the like. We started talking about this and within a few minutes I noticed several in the room had started listening to what we were discussing. 

The consensus in the room was that they all followed the Hogs and were very interested in the possibilities for the future. I was pleasantly surprised in the amount of respect these people had for the Razorbacks and the amount of interest in our program.  They acknowledged our recent win/loss record, but all felt it would be much better soon.

Reading these boards everyday and all the bad feelings expressed being involved in a positive conversation with so called outsiders was refreshing.  Not all of the populous out there feels bad about our the Razorbacks. Oh, most felt, as we do, that Coach Nutt should not be directing the offense.

Has anyone had an experience similiar to this?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Call Mr. Sow

You mean...have I ever been around a bunch of people who are little-informed about the Hogs who seem to have a more positive outlook on the program than the people who follow the program more closely?  I guess so.

For example, before the USC game this year, I talked to a number of USC fans who thought it could be a good game.  I asked a couple of them..."you do know Vandy beat us in our own home last week, right?"

PigPusher

The fascinating thing is the number of people that are casual observers of our program that hold us to such a high degree of esteem.  We must have something going for us to foster that. Many in that room last night used the term, "Class" when talking about us.

When you look at it in an objective way we are a classy fight to win to the nth degree and loose with "class" team.  Or, we will be again with the new coaches in place.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Pig Power

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on February 06, 2006, 10:41:20 am
You mean...have I ever been around a bunch of people who are little-informed about the Hogs who seem to have a more positive outlook on the program than the people who follow the program more closely?  I guess so.

For example, before the USC game this year, I talked to a number of USC fans who thought it could be a good game.  I asked a couple of them..."you do know Vandy beat us in our own home last week, right?"
Funny. That game was over when it got scheduled!

Landonhog

I live in Oklahoma, and I have many sports enthusiest-type friends who give AR tons of respect... These are primarily die-hard OU fans at that... I've taken enough people to games in Fayetteville, that I think they understand AR unique classification...  I think they typically assume OU is a much better team, but AR is one of the last teams they would want their team to step foot on the field with......  I think they consider us to be that smaller kid, who just doesn't know when to quit... You just don't want to fight those kids...

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

DukeOfPork

Quote from: PigPusher on February 06, 2006, 12:22:52 pm
The fascinating thing is the number of people that are casual observers of our program that hold us to such a high degree of esteem.  We must have something going for us to foster that. Many in that room last night used the term, "Class" when talking about us.

It was a social event.  They were just pumping sunshine up your ass.

I wouldn't read too much into that.

Buff

Quote from: Landonhog on February 06, 2006, 01:23:55 pm
I live in Oklahoma, and I have many sports enthusiest-type friends who give AR tons of respect... These are primarily die-hard OU fans at that... I've taken enough people to games in Fayetteville, that I think they understand AR unique classification...  I think they typically assume OU is a much better team, but AR is one of the last teams they would want their team to step foot on the field with......  I think they consider us to be that smaller kid, who just doesn't know when to quit... You just don't want to fight those kids...
that's one of the few good things that can be said about us right now - Arkansas don't quit

Boner

When we were awesome in basketball, I would always tell everyone else their team was still good, or was improving.  I always did this in a condecending manner.  I knew they weren't in our league, so I just decided to be nice.

It would be like us telling SMU fanes, "man, you guys won 5 games this year in CUSA.  Looks like you're putting together quite a team down there.  I bet you guys win even more next year."

Now, all of us know that they couldn't hang with us (even as bad as we were this year), so we'd really just be humoring them.

That's the way Texas and OU fans talk to me now, and I hate it.

PigPusher

Quote from: PorkPariah on February 06, 2006, 01:44:03 pm

It was a social event.  They were just pumping sunshine up your ass.

I wouldn't read too much into that.

Oh, really sunshine. Were you there?

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

When you look at it in an objective way we are a classy fight to win to the nth degree and loose with "class" team.  Or, we will be again with the new coaches in place.

What we have going for us is the general ignorance of those type of uninformed people. 
I am sure The Nutt loves this.

I am sick of hearing about "class".  Class is overrated.

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on February 06, 2006, 10:41:20 am

Homerun, game over.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

PigPusher

Quote from: Boner on February 06, 2006, 02:32:56 pm
When we were awesome in basketball, I would always tell everyone else their team was still good, or was improving.  I always did this in a condecending manner.  I knew they weren't in our league, so I just decided to be nice.

It would be like us telling SMU fanes, "man, you guys won 5 games this year in CUSA.  Looks like you're putting together quite a team down there.  I bet you guys win even more next year."

Now, all of us know that they couldn't hang with us (even as bad as we were this year), so we'd really just be humoring them.

That's the way Texas and OU fans talk to me now, and I hate it.

You suppose I am intelligent enough to know the difference.  Of course, you couldn't since you do not know me, but take my word I do.

Landonhog

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 02:38:15 pm

What we have going for us is the general ignorance of those type of uninformed people. 

Class is overrated....  This speaks volumes for your ignorance!  What a moron... You'd make a great Sooner!  Just think, you could be one of Stoop's happy little troops... Wouldn't that be more fun than whining on hog boards all day!  I say go for it... I'll buy you an OU T-shirt...

PigPusher

I really wonder just how many of your guys are true Arkansas fans and how many are just rabble rousers.

Quote from: Landonhog on February 06, 2006, 02:41:30 pm

Class is overrated....  This speaks volumes for your ignorance!  What a moron... You'd make a great Sooner!  Just think, you could be one of Stoop's happy little troops... Wouldn't that be more fun than whining on hog boards all day!  I say go for it... I'll buy you an OU T-shirt...

Easy on the insults.

My point was we can have all the perceived class we want, but if we are not a winning program, it won't matter. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Quote from: PigPusher on February 06, 2006, 02:42:37 pm
I really wonder just how many of your guys are true Arkansas fans and how many are just rabble rousers.

Here we go again, the "true" fan who supports everything no matter what.  Open your eyes, brotha!

PigPusher

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 02:52:41 pm

Here we go again, the "true" fan who supports everything no matter what.  Open your eyes, brotha!

And go to bed each knowing tomorrow will be worse?  No thanks.

PigPusher

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 02:51:56 pm

Easy on the insults.

My point was we can have all the perceived class we want, but if we are not a winning program, it won't matter. 

Oh! you say that is what that's their doing.  Well it doesn't matter I'll just bitch anyway.

------------------------Pay attention and wake up man.-------------------------------

Quote from: PigPusher on February 06, 2006, 03:11:48 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 02:51:56 pm

Easy on the insults.

Oh! you say that is what that's their doing.  Well it doesn't matter I'll just bitch anyway.

------------------------Pay attention and wake up man.-------------------------------

Could you please translate this into English?  Thanks.

Quote from: PigPusher on February 06, 2006, 03:05:10 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 02:52:41 pm

And go to bed each knowing tomorrow will be worse?  No thanks.

Just because you think and talk like everything is ok, doesn't mean it is. 

I think I know what you meant up there, but damn your posts are confusing...

PigPusher

Nutt is never going to leave because next year and the next it is just going to keep getting better. Eventually he is going to be on the prestige level of Coach Broyles. So all you hopefull darksiders really have a problem. For myself, I will remain very positive.

And there is always room for class even when you don't win a ball game or succeed in other ways.

no one

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on February 06, 2006, 02:19:16 pm
Quote from: Landonhog on February 06, 2006, 01:23:55 pm
that's one of the few good things that can be said about us right now - Arkansas don't quit

Yea, on coaches that suck it up. 

PigMan

PP...How does one get an invite to that Super Bowl party?  Sounds like fun.

Quote from: PigPusher on February 06, 2006, 03:28:44 pm
Nutt is never going to leave because next year and the next it is just going to keep getting better. Eventually he is going to be on the prestige level of Coach Broyles. So all you hopefull darksiders really have a problem. For myself, I will remain very positive.

And there is always room for class even when you don't win a ball game or succeed in other ways.

The Nutt will be gone after next year.  Then all you will have to be positive about will ACTUALLY be positive. 

Class is important.  But so is winning.  It is OK to have both.

Having a pentecostal Coach who is HORRIBLE at his job...not important.

rok-dog

Does it bother anyone else when newbies come in and start bashing people?  Just wondered.
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2010, 01:29:05 pm
Listen to rok, this is the most sound advice ever typed on a message board in the history of the internets.
Quote from: BallHog1 on December 03, 2010, 07:50:23 am
Rok, you are obviously the most intelligent poster in the the tavern.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on February 06, 2006, 02:19:16 pmthat's one of the few good things that can be said about us right now - Arkansas don't quit

70-17 at USC.

I saw an Arkansas team completely give up that night.  They quit.

PigMan

Quote from: rok-dog on February 06, 2006, 09:47:58 pm

Does it bother anyone else when newbies come in and start bashing people?  Just wondered.

Yes it does.  I believe that a good number of these so called hog fans are impostures.

Quote from: PigMan on February 07, 2006, 08:39:47 am

Yes it does.  I believe that a good number of these so called hog fans are impostures.

Also, they seem to have a weird combination of insulting posters but going on and on and on about what a great guy The Nutt is and how much "class" he has. 

Strange contradiction.  But I guess then that shows why they would like a guy like The Nutt...

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 07, 2006, 06:33:11 pm

Also, they seem to have a weird combination of insulting posters but going on and on and on about what a great guy The Nutt is and how much "class" he has. 

Strange contradiction.  But I guess then that shows why they would like a guy like The Nutt...

I am not a conspiracy theorist or anything...

But it sure seems like HDN tells family and friends "Hey, those people on the message board are bashing me.  Can you get on there and defend me?"

It just seems that way to me...I am sure it is not happening.

They all do start the post the same way..."I have been reading these boards for a while and I am a long time fan and I just have to say that(____insert any generic defense of HDN here_____________)
Retired Radio Host

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 07, 2006, 06:37:49 pm

But it sure seems like HDN tells family and friends "Hey, those people on the message board are bashing me.  Can you get on there and defend me?"

They all do start the post the same way..."I have been reading these boards for a while and I am a long time fan and I just have to say that(____insert any generic defense of HDN here_____________)

I think you might be on to something. 

PigMan

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 07, 2006, 06:37:49 pm

Well here's another opinion. Well just through it in the basket with all the rest.

Like people who blindly support The Nutt?  Um..I am not sure if you understand what we are talking about..

PigMan

"Like people who blindly support The Nutt?  Um..I am not sure if you understand what we are talking about.."

Oh sure I do you are one of those strained voices out in the crowd yelling for support for your cause.  No one will listen as the program at this point has moved on to bigger and better things and pulling Coach Nutt along with them.  And, it will do it without your input except you will continue that yelling out in the crowd.  Good luck.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: PigMan on February 07, 2006, 07:17:14 pm
"Like people who blindly support The Nutt?  Um..I am not sure if you understand what we are talking about.."

Oh sure I do you are one of those strained voices out in the crowd yelling for support for your cause.  No one will listen as the program at this point has moved on to bigger and better things and pulling Coach Nutt along with them.  And, it will do it without your input except you will continue that yelling out in the crowd.  Good luck.

No one is listening?  You are new here.  Many changes have been made because of one voice...well, one joining with about 8,000 more...just on this board. 

You are that lone voice...the one that still thinks Nutt is a quality coach.  The rest of us are either ignoring or laughing.  Because we know who is really driving the bus now...Gus and Herring.  As long as Nutt doesn't screw anything up he can ride in the luggage rack.  After all, that is all he really is...extra baggage.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

nice edit.  Sorry you added that part about pulling Nutt along before I could get my reply out.  But, hey, running behind the bus might be good for HDN.  Maybe he will be to tired to "veto" anything during the game.
Retired Radio Host

PigMan

It all will be okay on the hill.  The changes are in place and now it just has to be played out.
I for one am just going to set back and enjoy it as it happens. I will not worry about Coach Nutt anymore as he has been slotted and will become more and more a CEO of the team. "Sources" say.

hogfan38843

And what we going to do with Stan?
Quote from: PigMan on February 07, 2006, 07:34:31 pm
It all will be okay on the hill.  The changes are in place and now it just has to be played out.
I for one am just going to set back and enjoy it as it happens. I will not worry about Coach Nutt anymore as he has been slotted and will become more and more a CEO of the team. "Sources" say.
Quote from: PigMan on February 07, 2006, 07:34:31 pm

PigMan

"And what we going to do with Stan?"

Watching Stan struggle as he is doing who knows.  The thing is he might just make it with the people coming in next year.  I wish him well.

abq

Quote from: PigPusher on February 06, 2006, 10:00:46 am
For the last twenty years we have hosted a Super Bowl party in our home for my wife's sorority and their friends. We set up television view centers throughout our home and everyone finds the group they in which they want to sit. My group last night consisted of about fifteen people with a mixture of people that were OU, OSU, Tulsa fans as well as some that didn't follow football very much.  I was the only one in the room a Razorback follower.

Around halftime one of the ladies, a former Canadian, brought up the subject of the Razorbacks and what they were doing with their recent changes etc. She told me she had always liked the Razorbacks as they were always very classy. As such she kept up with them and knew in some detail about the coaching changes, Mitch, Damian and the like. We started talking about this and within a few minutes I noticed several in the room had started listening to what we were discussing. 

The consensus in the room was that they all followed the Hogs and were very interested in the possibilities for the future. I was pleasantly surprised in the amount of respect these people had for the Razorbacks and the amount of interest in our program.  They acknowledged our recent win/loss record, but all felt it would be much better soon.

Reading these boards everyday and all the bad feelings expressed being involved in a positive conversation with so called outsiders was refreshing.  Not all of the populous out there feels bad about our the Razorbacks. Oh, most felt, as we do, that Coach Nutt should not be directing the offense.

Has anyone had an experience similiar to this?

Since I live out of state I hear conversations like this a lot. I'm always happy to hear the recognition our program gets and it's mostly in a positive light.

Queen Hog

Class is never overrated.  Some of you could use it. 

Game over...advantage HOGS.  :razorback:
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Quote from: Queen Hog on February 07, 2006, 10:28:31 pm
Class is never overrated.  Some of you could use it. 

Game over...advantage HOGS.  :razorback:
We have had plenty of class, with plenty of mediocrity on the field.  Why can't we demand both?

Game is far from over.  It will be over when The Nutt is gone and Butch is here.

PigMan

Coach Nutt has weathered the storm, the situation has been modified so he can stay and we all need to get used to it.  Coaches much more capable than he are in place and we are going to be fine.

Respectable Razorback football is back.

Quote from: PigMan on February 08, 2006, 09:13:57 am
Coach Nutt has weathered the storm, the situation has been modified so he can stay and we all need to get used to it.  Coaches much more capable than he are in place and we are going to be fine.

Respectable Razorback football is back.

If you think the storm around The Nutt is over, you are still drinking Kool Aid.