ASU at WMS. 

count of bacon

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

factchecker

Quote from: count of bacon on January 14, 2017, 09:28:19 pm
who's A.S.U.?

Arizona State? replay of the 1985 Holiday bowl

Maybe, Alcorn State, the best non-P5 ASU west of Tupelo.

Whoever the oponent is it's not going to played in WMS.  Game will be played in Kansas City at Arrowhead.

or maybe Iowa Hawkeyes in Arrowhead.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PonderinHog

Appalachia State.  What could possibly go wrong ???

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

NuttinItUp

Hey, Michigan paid us $2 million to back out of the deal.

We could put that money towards....something.

Torqued pork

Let's play FAU. At least we could say we beat a Saban disciple. Consider it a part of Bret's rehab.

rhames

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 15, 2017, 12:12:20 am
Let's play FAU. At least we could say we beat a Saban disciple. Consider it a part of Bret's rehab.

Didn't we beat Florida this year?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hoggusamoungus

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 14, 2017, 11:45:50 pm

Not unless they back out of about 7 such games.

Sir Oinksalot

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

CrookedSquealliry

Arkansas State would beat us.

fieldturf

I think Jeff gave Britt an extension and probably Robb Smith got some on the way out the door!

SDZ_Hog

Summer camps?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 15, 2017, 07:56:48 am
Not unless they back out of about 7 such games.
7? Why would they need to back out of 7? That doesn't make any sense.

The contract was for a home-and-home and Michigan backed out to play the Irish. They owe us $2 million. Unless the media reports from when it happened were all incorrect. (possible)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/07/07/michigan-breaks-arkansas-deal-for-2-million-to-play-irish/86808442/

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/michigan-cancels-game-arkansas-renew-rivalry-notre-dame-bret-bielema-jeff-long-comments-070716

As well as about a hundred more from earlier in the year when it happened..

Mr. Long, being the Art of the Deal, tycoon that he is, has likely already spent that 2 mil on some worthy endeavor.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 15, 2017, 09:51:09 am
7? Why would they need to back out of 7? That doesn't make any sense.

The contract was for a home-and-home and Michigan backed out to play the Irish. They owe us $2 million. Unless the media reports from when it happened were all incorrect. (possible)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/07/07/michigan-breaks-arkansas-deal-for-2-million-to-play-irish/86808442/

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/michigan-cancels-game-arkansas-renew-rivalry-notre-dame-bret-bielema-jeff-long-comments-070716

As well as about a hundred more from earlier in the year when it happened..

That's a shot at BB's buyout agreement.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on January 15, 2017, 09:58:18 am
Mr. Long, being the Art of the Deal, tycoon that he is, has likely already spent that 2 mil on some worthy endeavor.
NEZ

ur

Will Long go for a waiver and take a lesser team or is something big in the works? Which teams have openings for 2018 and 19?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: CrookedSquealliry on January 15, 2017, 08:00:43 am

No they wouldn't. It would be a good game. But, no.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: ur on January 15, 2017, 10:05:10 am
Will Long go for a waiver and take a lesser team or is something big in the works? Which teams have openings for 2018 and 19?

Bielema said about two months ago that we we would know in a month.......I guess he is talking in HV "coaching search" days, those are 3X your expectations.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ur on January 15, 2017, 10:05:10 am

According to the SEC Country article from 6 months ago when it happened:

"No Power 5 school without a major program already on the schedule currently has a non-conference opening in both years. Only Oregon and Texas Tech in '18 and Baylor, Kansas, and Minnesota in '19 have such an opening."

Also, the SEC could get us a waiver to play non-Power 5 schools. Michigan kind of screwed us bad on the whole deal. I can see why everyone was pissed about it.

ur

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 15, 2017, 10:15:18 am
According to the SEC Country article from 6 months ago when it happened:

"No Power 5 school without a major program already on the schedule currently has a non-conference opening in both years. Only Oregon and Texas Tech in '18 and Baylor, Kansas, and Minnesota in '19 have such an opening."

Also, the SEC could get us a waiver to play non-Power 5 schools. Michigan kind of screwed us bad on the whole deal. I can see why everyone was pissed about it.

Thanks. Minn schedule is full for 18 and 19 but not p5 schools. If they want a p5 opponent then that would be the easiest option. Not sure what the buyouts for two of their games would be.

08/30 - New Mexico State
09/08 - Fresno State
09/15 - Miami (OH)

08/29 - South Dakota State
09/14 - Georgia Southern
09/07 - at Fresno State

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ur on January 15, 2017, 10:32:24 am
Thanks. Minn schedule is full for 18 and 19 but not p5 schools. If they want a p5 opponent then that would be the easiest option. Not sure what the buyouts for two of their games would be.

True. Also, it wouldn't necessarily need to be the same team both years. You could (for instance) do a home-and-home with Oregon for '18 and '20 (assuming they still had an opening) and do a home-and-home with Kansas for '19 and '21. That is just an example; and the SEC commissioner also said this (from the same SEC Country article):

QuoteThe good news for Arkansas came from SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey, who wrote in an email the Razorbacks could find a way out of the conference's yearly scheduling requirement considering the circumstances.

"Given that an executed contract has been in place and considering the lateness of this cancellation, we will certainly work with Arkansas on this issue as it relates to the SEC's non-conference scheduling requirement," Sankey wrote. "Institutions are permitted to seek a waiver from the conference office when extenuating circumstances exist."

The easiest thing to do might just be pocket the $2 million, schedule a Group-of-5 school for the 2 years with the SEC waiver, and get the guaranteed wins and extra money that comes from home games with lesser opponents.

Who knows, though. We could also do a one time neutral-site game in Atlanta or Houston or somewhere with a big opponent.

BR

Quote from: CrookedSquealliry on January 15, 2017, 08:00:43 am
They have to learn to beat UCA first..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ur

He will prob go with the waiver to save money and get BB two winable games. BB needs all the wins he can get right now.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 15, 2017, 10:41:03 am
True. Also, it wouldn't necessarily need to be the same team both years. You could (for instance) do a home-and-home with Oregon for '18 and '20 (assuming they still had an opening) and do a home-and-home with Kansas for '19 and '21. That is just an example; and the SEC commissioner also said this (from the same SEC Country article):

The easiest thing to do might just be pocket the $2 million, schedule a Group-of-5 school for the 2 years with the SEC waiver, and get the guaranteed wins and extra money that comes from home games with lesser opponents.

Who knows, though. We could also do a one time neutral-site game in Atlanta or Houston or somewhere with a big opponent.

We might get the SEC waiver, but if we have to schedule two G-5 schools as a result of this cancellation and should we win 10 regular season games in either of those two seasons, would we be punished for it having been with more G-5 schools on the schedule and land a lesser bowl than we might have with a win or a close game with Michigan in either of those years? It's just a "what if".
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 15, 2017, 10:59:13 am
We might get the SEC waiver, but if we have to schedule two G-5 schools as a result of this cancellation and should we win 10 regular season games in either of those two seasons, would we be punished for it having been with more G-5 schools on the schedule and land a lesser bowl than we might have with a win or a close game with Michigan in either of those years? It's just a "what if".

Possibly, but we still have an SEC-west schedule, so our SOS should be fine. Also, we could always play the victim card since it really wasn't our fault that Michigan bailed on us with so little time to reschedule. Who knows though..

Philibuster

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 11:01:21 am
Even with Michigan backing out of the agreement, Long must get a decent OOC schedule for Arkansas and now.  Fan apathy over the Northeastern SW LA Tech and School of Mines type of OOC opponents is growing.

Florida A&M
TCU
New Mexico St
Coastal Carolina

North Texas

Portland State
Colorado State

With the exception of the TCU game, that is a horrible slate of games.
Do you really expect better from the person running the athletic dept.?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 11:01:21 am
Even with Michigan backing out of the agreement, Long must get a decent OOC schedule for Arkansas and now.  Fan apathy over the Northeastern SW LA Tech and School of Mines type of OOC opponents is growing.

Florida A&M
TCU
New Mexico St
Coastal Carolina

North Texas

Portland State
Colorado State

With the exception of the TCU game, that is a horrible slate of games.

To be fair, one Power-5 non conference game per year is pretty standard now amongst all P5 schools. Had Michigan been in that 18 and 19 slot, it would have looked a lot better. Obviously, they are trying to reschedule those now, which is what we are discussing.

ur

I will be shocked and happy if we are in a situation where our strength of schedule will matter. It only matters with the final four. I agree with Seven in that fan apathy with the schedule is more of a problem. 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: fieldturf on January 15, 2017, 09:17:42 am

I think Jeff gave Britt an extension and probably Robb Smith got some on the way out the door!

Britt....??? really....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: BR on January 15, 2017, 10:43:02 am
They have to learn to beat UCA first..

They haven't done that yet!....what's the holdup???
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 11:21:38 am
I agree that had Michigan stayed on the OOC schedule, it would have been a very positive step forward for Arkansas.  But that did not come to pass, and it was clearly Michigan's fault since they opted out. 

Can't fault Long for not trying to get a better opponent, but now (through no fault of his own) he needs another opponent.  No reason he can't make that happen though.

Actually there are plenty of reasons why he might not be able to make that happen. Lack of available opponents at this late of a stage being the biggest reason.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 11:21:38 am
I agree that had Michigan stayed on the OOC schedule, it would have been a very positive step forward for Arkansas.  But that did not come to pass, and it was clearly Michigan's fault since they opted out. 

Can't fault Long for not trying to get a better opponent, but now (through no fault of his own) he needs another opponent.  No reason he can't make that happen though. 

No reason, you mean like finding a willing partner?

jjdlc

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 15, 2017, 11:43:38 am
Actually there are plenty of reasons why he might not be able to make that happen. Lack of available opponents at this late of a stage being the biggest reason.

This, there was a reason Michigan was originally scheduled so far in advance.

island hog

I think some of the money could be used for free psychiatric care for Hogvillians. There are many on here who could use it. 

Porked Tongue

Use the money to buy out the Pepsi contract.

Redhogs

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 14, 2017, 09:06:52 pm
Thought we were close to a make up game... did I miss the announcement/
Everybody scare of B ert.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 14, 2017, 11:35:50 pm
Appalachia State.  What could possibly go wrong ???

Well played Ponderin. Given our current condition, the Michigan cancellation might have prevented further damaging embarrassment.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 02:13:40 pm
Armed with the $2 million from Michigan, approach schools and offer to cover the payoff to their creampuff in exchange for a home and home in '18 and '19. 

It can be done, but it means putting the program and the fans interest before money concerns.   

It's been approached, so far the others prefer their cream puffs.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 02:16:27 pm
Since you seem to be in the know, why don't you list all of the teams that have been approached?

That's proprietary info, sorry.

RazorPiggie

Schedule another cupcake for all I care. Not reason to try to schedule the big boys. We already play plenty of them.

factchecker

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 02:34:13 pm
How's that been working out for Arkansas by the way? 

See the crowds?  Feel the interest over New Mexico State? 

I can't tell you the interest levels for games to be played in 2018.

I can show you the increased attendance for 3 straight seasons.  I can show you the sell out for lowly Texas State.

https://twitter.com/wholehogsports/status/809907248105406464

I would love nothing more than to schedule a heavy hitter.  Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas someone that is a household name.  Fans think you can call up a team and get it done quick.  It isn't that easy.  There is going to be some wheeling and dealing to get a top notch opponent.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us play a neutral site game in order to facilitate the process. Get rid of WMS and play a game vs. Iowa in Arrowhead or Illinois in Chicago.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 02:33:26 pm
Yep, none.

Ask the athletic department, and see if that's not the answer you get.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2017, 02:34:13 pm
How's that been working out for Arkansas by the way? 

See the crowds?  Feel the interest over New Mexico State? 

Working great, 103% attendance last year at RRS.

fieldturf

Quote from: tusksincolorado on January 15, 2017, 11:20:14 am
Britt....??? really....

Well year before last I believe he got an extension.

TNRazorbacker

Mississippi state didnt play a P5 outside the SEC this year. How'd they get away with that?