Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Asst. Coaching Changes that would benefit Recruiting

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, January 14, 2017, 04:11:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

I realize everyone is locked in on the Defensive Coordinator position but let's assume Coach Rhoads attains that position.  Here are the others I would like to see:

LB Coach: Vernon Hargreaves - Vance Bedford
DL Coach: Rory Seagrest - Charlie Partridge
CB/DB Coach: Paul Rhoades - Kerry Cooks
*10th Coach* Special Teams/Recruiting Coordinator: Larry Porter

What asst. Coaching changes would you make????

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

King Kong

I think we do this every year and we never get any of them

Tommy Thigpen
Lance Thompson

I think Vance Bedford is a DB coach not LB

NuttinItUp

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2017, 04:11:33 pm

If we are trying to hire to sign the class of 2014 then we are a little late to the party.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 14, 2017, 04:44:15 pm
If we are trying to hire to sign the class of 2014 then we are a little late to the party.

The photo was just for aesthetic purposes nothing more...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

January 14, 2017, 05:07:23 pm #4 Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:24:39 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Quote from: King Kong on January 14, 2017, 04:28:00 pm
I think we do this every year and we never get any of them

Tommy Thigpen
Lance Thompson

I think Vance Bedford is a DB coach not LB

Good Point...Also Tommy Thigpen is making 100K more than our current LB coach $505,000 Salary.

I agree Lance Thompson is a excellent recruiter
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Life

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2017, 04:11:33 pm
I realize everyone is locked in on the Defensive Coordinator position but let's assume Coach Rhoads attains that position.  Here are the others I would like to see:

LB Coach: Vernon Hargreaves - Vance Bedford
DL Coach: Rory Seagrest - Charlie Partridge
CB/DB Coach: Paul Rhoades - Kerry Cooks
*10th Coach* Special Teams/Recruiting Coordinator: Larry Porter

What asst. Coaching changes would you make????

Chinander in place of Bedford.

Calihog2012

Not sure who to say because BB hires people that most people aren't thinking about... passes on big names etc

Feels like the fan base wants a big name for DC...lets hope

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 14, 2017, 05:10:05 pm
Chinander in place of Bedford.

He's not leaving a Defensive Coordinator position to be a LB coach.   Maybe Co-Defensive Coordinator in the SEC might sway him.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Calihog2012 on January 14, 2017, 05:11:55 pm
Not sure who to say because BB hires people that most people aren't thinking about... passes on big names etc

Feels like the fan base wants a big name for DC...lets hope

I believe the recruits are the only other ones in the know of who is being brought in.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2017, 05:20:58 pm
I believe the recruits are the only other ones in the know of who is being brought in.

I wish we had gone after Jim Leavitt, but too late, left Colorado for Oregon.
Go Hogs Go!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 14, 2017, 05:25:43 pm
I wish we had gone after Jim Leavitt, but too late, left Colorado for Oregon.
Leavitt got a four-year deal at what is said to be the highest salary for any Pac-12 assistant ever which means he's getting Head Coaching $$$$

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2017, 05:44:11 pm
Leavitt got a four-year deal at what is said to be the highest salary for any Pac-12 assistant ever which means he's getting Head Coaching $$$$

I can see why. I think he is just that good and at a 3-4 defense, too.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawg Life

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2017, 05:19:30 pm
He's not leaving a Defensive Coordinator position to be a LB coach.   Maybe Co-Defensive Coordinator in the SEC might sway him.

I agree. I think he makes like $350-$400k, so I think he gets a raise no matter what position if he comes here.

Oklahawg

Love the speculation! Not sure we see a complete retooling of the defensive staff, at least before signing day is over. ;)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hawghiggs

Dropkick

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Dropkick on January 14, 2017, 09:35:59 pm
NO!

The only way to improve recruiting. Is to actually hire people who can recruit.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 14, 2017, 09:29:54 pm
  Trooper Taylor as CB coach.

The Florida Gator fan boards are tossing his name around...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Life

Yes, and Larry Porter for Special Teams. We need the recruiting. Trooper only makes $120,000 per year.

Calihog2012

I just want Bret to hire someone... it feels like everyone in the nation are hiring top notch coaches rn...

Charlie Partridge would be solid for LB and really hoping we hire an actual special teams coach.. anyone got any possible ideas for DC?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2017, 10:32:31 pm
The Florida Gator fan boards are tossing his name around...

The man has strong ties in Texas.  That is something that we desperately need. If we could get him and Partridge. That would give us two solid recruiters in talent rich areas.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 14, 2017, 10:53:32 pm
Yes, and Larry Porter for Special Teams. We need the recruiting. Trooper only makes $120,000 per year.

The hogs could double his salary and he would be worth every penny.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 14, 2017, 10:53:32 pm
On paper...

nm

Torqued pork

January 15, 2017, 12:36:18 am #23 Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:17:38 am by Torqued pork
Quote from: Oklahawg on January 14, 2017, 08:00:17 pm
Love the speculation! Not sure we see a complete retooling of the defensive staff, at least before signing day is over. ;)
Sounds like a good strategy to guarantee the hiring of some deservedly obsure assistant(s) for the sake of keeping another low-rated recruiting class intact.

Where do we play Purdue this year?

ChicoHog

Not just No but Heck NO!!!!!!

I don't ever want us to stoop that low.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 14, 2017, 08:00:17 pm

Smith is gone and he was the secondary recruiter of Montaric Brown who 247 now shows is 60% Alabama/40% Arkansas. You have to hope that Smith's departure and the unknown of who the DC is going to be doesn't push him in that direction.

Then there is Kyrei Fisher (OLB) out of Tulsa and Jordan Curtis (OLB) for whom Smith was the primary.

From my perspective I wouldn't think that Smith's departure would have a negative outcome on any of their commits, but I'm not an 18 year old kid either.

Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 15, 2017, 08:12:43 am
Smith is gone and he was the secondary recruiter of Montaric Brown who 247 now shows is 60% Alabama/40% Arkansas. You have to hope that Smith's departure and the unknown of who the DC is going to be doesn't push him in that direction.

Then there is Kyrei Fisher (OLB) out of Tulsa and Jordan Curtis (OLB) for whom Smith was the primary.

From my perspective I wouldn't think that Smith's departure would have a negative outcome on any of their commits, but I'm not an 18 year old kid either.

Do you have any idea on what you post? Did you look at the dates on Brown's picks, did you not read the article in the recruiting forum where he said he was taking no more visits, and was 100% Hog, even after the Smith news? Did you not see the pictures of Fisher in his dorm room on the Hill, all moved in?

Ramble on Barbershop

member # 407

You are no better than anyone, you are just as good but no better, be HUMBLE and you will see the difference in relationships. He who can be carefree yet mindful at the same time, has found the secret of living in enlightened PEACE.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2017, 08:30:19 am
Do you have any idea on what you post? Did you look at the dates on Brown's picks, did you not read the article in the recruiting forum where he said he was taking no more visits, and was 100% Hog, even after the Smith news? Did you not see the pictures of Fisher in his dorm room on the Hill, all moved in?

Just looking at 247 this morning. I know when they picked the Hogs. And no, I didn't see the pics. Also didn't see on 247 where he had filled out his paperwork, so you'll have to forgive me, I missed it in the Recruiting Forum and was just following the 247 web site. Try to raise your head a bit and not look quite so much down your nose at me Rice. OK? Glad they are on board.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 15, 2017, 10:09:05 am
Just looking at 247 this morning. I know when they picked the Hogs. And no, I didn't see the pics. Also didn't see on 247 where he had filled out his paperwork, so you'll have to forgive me, I missed it in the Recruiting Forum and was just following the 247 web site. Try to raise your head a bit and not look quite so much down your nose at me Rice. OK? Glad they are on board.

Dude, you hammer on every poster that doesn't "see" it your way. You also like to point out facts they missed. Those picks haven't changed since about April, I thought you would have researched that. Also, any Google of Brown, brought up 3 articles on him confirming his commitment last week, and that OSU and OU were where he possibly might visit. I suggest you follow some of our recruiting gurus, they tweet this stuff out(pictures/articles) all the time.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2017, 10:16:42 am
Dude, you hammer on every poster that doesn't "see" it your way. You also like to point out facts they missed. Those picks haven't changed since about April, I thought you would have researched that. Also, any Google of Brown, brought up 3 articles on him confirming his commitment last week, and that OSU and OU were where he possibly might visit. I suggest you follow some of our recruiting gurus, they tweet this stuff out(pictures/articles) all the time.

I did research it and no, I don't hammer everybody, though you seem to try to hang onto that negative notion because you and I must have had a run-in some time ago. Let it go. I try to be respectful of everyone on this board. I certainly appreciate everything that you bring to this board.
Go Hogs Go!

I suggest we need a recruiter more than any other coach.  If we had a recruiter that could up our rating just a few places in the overall and get us in the top 6 or 7 in the SEC, that would be our most valuable coach.  I know that is a pipe dream.  We need a Black Arin Andrews who knows football and could sway Mom to let Junior come to Arkansas.  Dad and the Kid would be easy to sway but the Black Lady I envision would need to have the class and savvy to assure Mom that her child would be properly.  By the way, this is a 50 million $$$$$ idea I just gave BB and the big deal maker, Jeff.  Its free to you folks.

Tim Harris

It would be worth it just to see the blue hairs head explode when they saw him on our sideline.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 16, 2017, 09:36:23 am
It would be worth it just to see the blue hairs head explode when they saw him on our sideline.

His daughter went to JHS, he wears the backwards hat everywhere, even in formal pictures.

Dumb ole famrboy

HF#1

I couldn't begin to tell you what coaches we should hire can or can't recruit.  Arkansas won't ever get over the hump if we don't recruit out of our shoes. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. As long as Bielema keeps playing it safe and "not recruiting his own problems" we will keep getting 3* type players.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin