Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We struck out

Started by Hog Solo, January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

Considering the absolutely tepid line play that could not generate even a modest pass rush leaving our secondary having to cover way too long, I think Rhoads did a great job.  Just like Enos having possibly the worst offensive line in 20 years and still managing to field a solid offense was truly impressive.

King Kong

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 13, 2017, 11:53:29 pm
While you are at it look up # of pass attempts. I would wager teams threw on us much more in 2015 vs 2016. Auburn game stands out to me...I bet they  threw the ball 5 times...10 times max in that game...and we got waxed 56-3.

2nd half of mizzou game sticks out as well. They couldn't run the ball on us in the 1st half so they decided to throw bombs all 2nd half. Worked quite well

Mizz was held under their season average for passing yards. Vandy, UT, UGA, WV and South Carolina all gave more passing yards to them.

HogimusMaximus

We are screwed.  Coach B needs to step up his game.

e_dub

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:25:12 pm

If he was a great coach he would've improved all around defense last year.

Would an accountant be held responsible for slumping sales? You're an idiot.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm
Surprise suprise,  we lost a dc to Nebraska and now settling for Rhoades who has done nothing in recruiting his whole year.  Should we be surprised that this would happen under the Bielema admin?  Absolutely  par for the freaking course.  National signing day is coming within two weeks it is also subpar.

Just as well. Keep the powder dry for what we'll have to do with the coaching staff/changes in a year or two.

island hog

How can 1964 or Solo and a few others consider themselves Hog fans when they take EVERY opportunity to talk down the team, the coaches, the AD and seemingly everything Razorback.  They know NOTHING about what transpires with recruiting, coaching hiring and dismissal, how the coaches interact with the players behind closed doors and yet their opinion is FACT.  I understand that this is a forum for everybody and for all angles but I really believe they secretly wAnt the teAm to tank next year so they can crow that they were right about EVERYTHING.  I watched my first Hog game in 1964 and just don't understand that kind of 'fan'.

M L (bassplayer)

Diaco was a NJ guy with little or no connections to the south in recruiting. When his name came up surely you had questions of "how is he going to recruit TX or LA?". At least Rhoads is not a stranger to TX. We need players before we get better.  :razorback:

a0ashle

Struck out? Laughable. Find a new team your fandom is broken and leaking sewage.

rljjr

A little bourbon on that pacifier should knock you right out.

hogcard1964

Quote from: M L (bassplayer) on January 14, 2017, 08:23:40 am
Diaco was a NJ guy with little or no connections to the south in recruiting. When his name came up surely you had questions of "how is he going to recruit TX or LA?". At least Rhoads is not a stranger to TX. We need players before we get better.  :razorback:

Rhoads is from Iowa.   :(

hogcard1964

Quote from: island hog on January 14, 2017, 08:19:16 am
How can 1964 or Solo and a few others consider themselves Hog fans when they take EVERY opportunity to talk down the team, the coaches, the AD and seemingly everything Razorback.  They know NOTHING about what transpires with recruiting, coaching hiring and dismissal, how the coaches interact with the players behind closed doors and yet their opinion is FACT.  I understand that this is a forum for everybody and for all angles but I really believe they secretly wAnt the teAm to tank next year so they can crow that they were right about EVERYTHING.  I watched my first Hog game in 1964 and just don't understand that kind of 'fan'.

I'm not talking them down.  We lost out. It is, what it is.  It could end up being a blessing but it's never good when you lose out on a valuable hire to another team. 

I'm now of the mindset, not to hire any high profile coaches from the outside due to upcoming coaching changes in a year or two.  Keep the powder dry.

King Kong

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on January 14, 2017, 05:36:13 am

Used it all up on Jenn

coolhog

Bob wasn't offered from us. Might have got him, if we wanted him.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 09:03:01 am
I'm not talking them down.  We lost out. It is, what it is.  It could end up being a blessing but it's never good when you lose out on a valuable hire to another team. 

I'm now of the mindset, not to hire any high profile coaches from the outside due to upcoming coaching changes in a year or two.  Keep the powder dry.

How do you know that CBB even wanted him? Just because he may have interviewed, doesn't mean he was CBB's first choice. People interview for jobs all the time...doesn't mean anything. Maybe CBB gave him an interview as a courtesy. The guy is a good coach. But there are a lot of really good coaches out there. Funny how our fans always assume we "struck out" when the guy they are salivating over doesn't get the job.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogcard1964

Quote from: coolhog on January 14, 2017, 09:23:24 am
Bob wasn't offered from us. Might have got him, if we wanted him.

So we interviewed him and decided "nah on second thought we'll pass."

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 09:29:14 am

Happens all the time, dude. All over America in all professions.

Gonzo

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:10:21 pm
Yep,  Rhoads is not friendly with autocorrect can we not just name him roads?

The Hogs are hiring Fender Rhodes?

Go Hog!

Redhogs

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 14, 2017, 01:46:10 am
Considering the absolutely tepid line play that could not generate even a modest pass rush leaving our secondary having to cover way too long, I think Rhoads did a great job.  Just like Enos having possibly the worst offensive line in 20 years and still managing to field a solid offense was truly impressive.
Nobody is going to help our secondary much until we develop a pass rush, period. We need a real DL coach. Biggest waste of talent I've ever seen there last year.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogcard1964

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 14, 2017, 09:30:07 am
Happens all the time, dude. All over America in all professions.

Link?

Hogfan46

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 08:58:45 am

Iowa State currently has 30+ players on their roster from states that are considered in the south. Iowa and Iowa State have consistently recruited in the south. It has always been that way. Rhoads was also the DC at Auburn. I know these facts may be confusing to you and contrary to your agenda.

Redhogs

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on January 14, 2017, 05:36:13 am
He'a at full throttle now, that's the problem.

Redhogs

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on January 14, 2017, 09:33:50 am
Nobody is going to help our secondary much until we develop a pass rush, period. We need a real DL coach. Biggest waste of talent I've ever seen there last year.

Hey, we agree on something.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Redhogs on January 14, 2017, 09:38:09 am
But..but...Bret didn't want him. #integrity.

"Yea, you know, we just met with him so he could teach Rhoads and Beilema the 3-4 defense. We never really wanted him."

I'm not kidding when I say someone attempted to say this last night.

a0ashle

We didn't want him at the price Nebraska did. You would think all the fans who worry about how much money our athletic dept spends on coaches would be happy.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 09:42:23 am
"Yea, you know, we just met with him so he could teach Rhoads and Beilema the 3-4 defense. We never really wanted him."

I'm not kidding when I say someone attempted to say this last night.

Well, it was reported by those gurus, you know, the same type guys who said he interviewed.

hogcard1964

Quote from: a0ashle on January 14, 2017, 09:45:10 am
We didn't want him at the price Nebraska did. You would think all the fans who worry about how much money our athletic dept spends on coaches would be happy.

I agree with this.  Hang onto the cash now and just ride this out.

HamSammich

Yep.... just give these sheep a couple more hours, they will all be saying how our crappy secondary coach was who CBB wanted all along. In fact CBB didn't even interview anyone else.

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on January 14, 2017, 10:08:17 am
Yep.... just give these sheep a couple more hours, they will all be saying how our crappy secondary coach was who CBB wanted all along. In fact CBB didn't even interview anyone else.

Well, since you were there, tell us who has interviewed for the DC job??

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2017, 10:09:36 am
Well, since you were there, tell us who has interviewed for the DC job??

Nobody interviewed.

It was Rhoads' all along.   ;)

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HamSammich on January 14, 2017, 10:08:17 am

Can't speak for Bielema, but I wanted Rhoads over Diaco. BAAAA.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

King Kong

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 08:58:45 am

Rhoads has connections everywhere 61% of his roster was from TX, Cal and FL.

Heck Fayetteville is a cakewalk compared to what it was like to recruit at Iowa State

http://www.amestrib.com/sports/football-how-isu-combats-one-its-biggest-recruiting-battles-getting-recruits-campus

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: factchecker on January 13, 2017, 11:06:51 pm
How many different ways can hogville spell or rather mispell Paul Rhoads name?

Maybe Diaco chose Nebraska because he didn't want to be called coach Dicooaoco.

This made me laugh.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

(notOM)Rebel123

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 14, 2017, 10:14:39 am
Can't speak for Bielema, but I wanted Rhoads over Diaco. BAAAA.

I'd go after Wannstedt now.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 09:29:14 am

an interview is a process of sitting down and talking to someone to see if you get a good vibe. see if they fit. see if you are comfortable with them within your organization. it is not a job offer and a job offer is not guaranteed to come after an interview. i would imagine Rhoads has been the front runner since he took the job last year and i doubt diaco has anything to offer that would change that. i know you know this, but you are building your narrative. the good thing is, nobody takes you seriously.

gchamblee

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on January 14, 2017, 10:28:53 am
an interview is a process of sitting down and talking to someone to see if you get a good vibe. see if they fit. see if you are comfortable with them within your organization. it is not a job offer and a job offer is not guaranteed to come after an interview. i would imagine Rhoads has been the front runner since he took the job last year and i doubt diaco has anything to offer that would change that. i know you know this, but you are building your narrative. the good thing is, nobody takes you seriously.

So, he never interviewed with the Hogs?  Is this what you're claiming?

ifghog

We will know who really wanted him when we see his contract at NE. His price will be very telling.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 10:31:49 am
So, he never interviewed with the Hogs?  Is this what you're claiming?

im not claiming he did or didnt. to do so would be taking an assumption and passing it off as fact. are you claiming he did interview and turned us down? or are you claiming he did interview and we didnt want him? the reason i ask is, you are saying he definitely interviewed like it is a fact. also, why are you more impressed with diaco than rhoads? similar coaches except one has recruiting ties that benefit us, and the other doesnt. are you star struck by the name "notre dame"?

The_Iceman

If Rhoads had not coached at Arkansas last year, many of you would be claiming Rhoads was an excellent hire. DC at Pitt and Auburn. Head coach at Iowa State. Only 49 years old.

go hogues

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 13, 2017, 11:14:29 pm
Does it really matter?
Not in the slightest. There's only so much ANY coach can do in the SEC with a bunch of 2 star projects.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogcard1964

Quote from: ifghog on January 14, 2017, 10:34:19 am
We will know who really wanted him when we see his contract at NE. His price will be very telling.

+1000

This is why I believe we're better off not spending now.  There's probably going to have to be money set aside for buyouts and new hires over the next several years.

huntindoc

If Rhoads has been the man from the beginning, why wasn't he announced the second Smith's move to Minnesota was official? 

colbs

There is a lot on here assuming they know how this all went down.  Then getting really mad because they think that is exactly what happened behind the scenes.

ricepig

Quote from: huntindoc on January 14, 2017, 10:40:53 am
If Rhoads has been the man from the beginning, why wasn't he announced the second Smith's move to Minnesota was official? 

Graphics guy has the weekend off. Also, there's this CO-DC possibility still.

hogcard1964

Quote from: huntindoc on January 14, 2017, 10:40:53 am

if we can get away with keeping him on the cheap, let him do it.  But he definitely wasn't our first choice.  He still probably isn't our second or third choice.

island hog

You won't let up will you.   How many times have stated this or alluded to it. Why don't you just say " I hope we don't spend much money on anyone because we're probably going to have a coaching change.. Or at least I hope we do ".