Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We struck out

Started by Hog Solo, January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 12:21:31 pm
White was a 5* as a linebacker. He was a 4* RB. He wanted to play so he did. No way he was beating out Guice and Leonard. I dont think Crockett was rated as a LB.
IMO and this isn't from when he started playing, this was last January, when White and then Porter fell through  Crockett should have been offered, to good a home grown talent to let go. Whaley, RW3 and Hammonds careers could be over tomorrow, he could have RS here or moved to LB or both. Not my call but if it was I don't let a player of that caliber get away from in state.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 12:19:51 pm
I don't. But I am aware of the scholarship process at Arkansas' Private Schools. perhaps you should stick to tractors. I wont argue with you about soil conservation, either.

How much money do the Henry's make, how do you know they don't qualify for any kind of scholarship, I know a lot more on this subject then you would think.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2017, 12:34:23 pm
How much money do the Henry's make, how do you know they don't qualify for any kind of scholarship, I know a lot more on this subject then you would think.

I wonder if someone in the Henry family reads/post on Hogville.  It would be interesting to hear their side of the "rich kids don't deserve scholarships" debate.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: factchecker on January 14, 2017, 12:41:27 pm
I wonder if someone in the Henry family reads/post on Hogville.  It would be interesting to hear their side of the "rich kids don't deserve scholarships" debate.
My guess is they have better things to do.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

That and 3 or 4 attending at the same time, lol.

Athog

I seriously doubt it!!

AirWarren

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 14, 2017, 12:47:18 pm
My guess is they have better things to do.  ;)

Like work to pay for the PA tuition.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on January 14, 2017, 01:23:05 pm
Like work to pay for the PA tuition.

Preach it brother!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 10:49:39 am
We struck out...As usual. Just like we strike out on in-state kids. I seriously think he don't put much emphasis on this state at all when it comes to recruiting. Too many talented kids not getting a serious look.
What state are you in?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Athog

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm
Surprise suprise,  we lost a dc to Nebraska and now settling for Rhoades who has done nothing in recruiting his whole year.  Should we be surprised that this would happen under the Bielema admin?  Absolutely  par for the freaking course.  National signing day is coming within two weeks it is also subpar.

Is this YOUR opinion? Why should I care what that is?

tophawg19

Quote from: gchamblee on January 14, 2017, 10:35:31 am
im not claiming he did or didnt. to do so would be taking an assumption and passing it off as fact. are you claiming he did interview and turned us down? or are you claiming he did interview and we didnt want him? the reason i ask is, you are saying he definitely interviewed like it is a fact. also, why are you more impressed with diaco than rhoads? similar coaches except one has recruiting ties that benefit us, and the other doesnt. are you star struck by the name "notre dame"?
both . he will take whichever side suits his argument at the moment
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Athog

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on January 13, 2017, 11:43:24 pm
OMG lord help us all. The end is near. It's January 13th and the '17 season is already a bust. We are all going to die!!!

Hey it's Hogville!

(notOM)Rebel123

Youngsta71701

White was a 5* as a linebacker. He was a 4* RB. He wanted to play so he did. No way he was beating out Guice and Leonard. I dont think Crockett was rated as a LB.
White was also rated as a running back on some recruiting services. Crockett played more safety than linebacker in high school. White also wanted to play running back.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

I guess we shouldn't have given Hunter Henry a scholarship neither since he is rich... ???

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 14, 2017, 04:47:35 pm
What state are you in?
Arkansas and I see plenty of D1 talent across the state every year. Some of the kids that are getting these offers get beat by some of the kids that don't. Not saying that they are unworthy just saying that there are more that are.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 07:49:10 pm
White was also rated as a running back on some recruiting services. Crockett played more safety than linebacker in high school. White also wanted to play running back.

UA promised him a spot at RB, coming in behind Kody Walker and being the bruiser. LSU had wanted him as an LB and he was ready to bail. They changed their tune, said he'd get spring ball to show what he could do at RB. He signed with LSU mid-year, spent a practice or three at RB, and then became an impact LB as a true frosh.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 07:52:20 pm
Arkansas and I see plenty of D1 talent across the state every year. Some of the kids that are getting these offers get beat by some of the kids that don't. Not saying that they are unworthy just saying that there are more that are.

CBB does a really good job of vetting the in-staters. He knows he can't screw up with an early offer because he can't full the offer. Even in the case of academic problems, the perception would be bad. I think he is also conscious of developing a bad reputation for swooping in at the last minute with an offer - using a kid with in-state family and a built-in interest in UA.

One of the reasons we lose a Crockett type is because before we often ran out of offer before we filled the class. We could return to in-state and take a flyer on someone. We are not in that place right now.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 14, 2017, 07:55:39 pm
UA promised him a spot at RB, coming in behind Kody Walker and being the bruiser. LSU had wanted him as an LB and he was ready to bail. They changed their tune, said he'd get spring ball to show what he could do at RB. He signed with LSU mid-year, spent a practice or three at RB, and then became an impact LB as a true frosh.
Sounds like he was mislead to me.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 14, 2017, 07:58:25 pm
CBB does a really good job of vetting the in-staters. He knows he can't screw up with an early offer because he can't full the offer. Even in the case of academic problems, the perception would be bad. I think he is also conscious of developing a bad reputation for swooping in at the last minute with an offer - using a kid with in-state family and a built-in interest in UA.

One of the reasons we lose a Crockett type is because before we often ran out of offer before we filled the class. We could return to in-state and take a flyer on someone. We are not in that place right now.
Yeah, I've heard Trey Biddy explain it like this before. Sounds like he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hope he can find a way to balance this out. You see all the attention Tre Norwood is starting to get now. That's why I say we have to do a better job than anyone else at evaluating in state talent early so we can offer early and not lose good players to out of state schools that way we'll be prepared. We have to get on these Arkansas kids before anybody else does. And just because a lot of out of state schools don't come after a kid doesn't mean he's not good. If anybody should know how good a kid is in this state it should be us. That's why I think we get the perception of underestimating our in state kids.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 10:38:50 am
+1000

This is why I believe we're better off not spending now.  There's probably going to have to be money set aside for buyouts and new hires over the next several years.

Buyout the head coach and get some new blood in here.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2017, 12:34:23 pm

You got owned son.

HossHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 08:14:16 pm
Sounds like he was mislead to me.
He was mislead, right when he got to campus there were rumors that he was unhappy that he was practicing at linebacker instead of running back, however these were just rumors. I still don't think he would have came here if LSU did let him know up front he was going to play LB because he said after he signed LSU is his dream school.

Al Boarland

Quote from: coolhog on January 14, 2017, 09:23:24 am
Bob wasn't offered from us. Might have got him, if we wanted him.
No one that turns down the job is ever "offered" the job. That's the way things are done.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: gchamblee on January 14, 2017, 10:35:31 am
im not claiming he did or didnt. to do so would be taking an assumption and passing it off as fact. are you claiming he did interview and turned us down? or are you claiming he did interview and we didnt want him? the reason i ask is, you are saying he definitely interviewed like it is a fact. also, why are you more impressed with diaco than rhoads? similar coaches except one has recruiting ties that benefit us, and the other doesnt. are you star struck by the name "notre dame"?
Pretty sure this is the translation of the Greek word 'hogville.'
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

code red

Too little to late.  Probably the only time he has targeted top coached. Brett is on the hot seat regardless of whether any of you want to admit it. It's going to be hard to draw top talent coaches to Arkansas. Until he recktifies that, and starts winning?  It will continue to board true.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: secfan30 on January 15, 2017, 06:18:16 am
Maybe we dodged a bullet.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/82158-bob-diaco-new-defensive-coordinator/

Oh now....How's that possible? We struck out, remember? A big whiff. A "K" in the scorebook. The guy was "The Guy" and CBB couldn't reel him in! 😉

MuskogeeHogFan

White thought he could be a RB but at LSU, he was always destined to be a LB no matter what they promised him, and they were right. His first year he played in 12 games, had 22.5 tackles, 3 TFL for 21 yards and 1 Sack. Pretty good for a true freshman being worked into the line-up. Now had he come to Arkansas I would bet that he would have been utilized at LB as well and seen some playing time there while perhaps having been worked in at FB where, with his quickness he might have had some carries as well. He might have had the best of both worlds at Arkansas.

As for Crockett, you can only take just so many players at one position when you have to spend offers on other positions of need as well. Bottom line, they allocated a certain number of spots to RB's and they liked the ones they had more than they liked Crockett. If they were going to spend another scholarship on a RB I would have thought that they would have offered the Jacobs kid out of Tulsa before they offered Crockett but again, they had who they wanted.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HossHog on January 15, 2017, 02:00:30 am
He was mislead, right when he got to campus there were rumors that he was unhappy that he was practicing at linebacker instead of running back, however these were just rumors. I still don't think he would have came here if LSU did let him know up front he was going to play LB because he said after he signed LSU is his dream school.
Every kid says this after they sign.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 15, 2017, 07:08:36 am
White thought he could be a RB but at LSU, he was always destined to be a LB no matter what they promised him, and they were right. His first year he played in 12 games, had 22.5 tackles, 3 TFL for 21 yards and 1 Sack. Pretty good for a true freshman being worked into the line-up. Now had he come to Arkansas I would bet that he would have been utilized at LB as well and seen some playing time there while perhaps having been worked in at FB where, with his quickness he might have had some carries as well. He might have had the best of both worlds at Arkansas.

As for Crockett, you can only take just so many players at one position when you have to spend offers on other positions of need as well. Bottom line, they allocated a certain number of spots to RB's and they liked the ones they had more than they liked Crockett. If they were going to spend another scholarship on a RB I would have thought that they would have offered the Jacobs kid out of Tulsa before they offered Crockett but again, they had who they wanted.
I agree with you about White. But as far as Crockett goes he could have played another position besides running back. He could have played LB or Safety. He just wanted to come to Arkansas. I know because I know his family personally. A guy that big running a legit 4.4 is hard to find no matter the state and it's even harder to find in Arkansas. When those type of athletes come along you have to get them and find a spot for them.

farmhawg

Quote from: hog of steele on January 13, 2017, 11:01:27 pm
If it's Rhodes, why would I be surprised? I am used to our coach making good hires.
Really, which ones have worked out?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

870hogfan

Quote from: farmhawg on January 16, 2017, 12:29:33 pm
Really, which ones have worked out?

Dan Enos was a good hire.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hog of steele

Quote from: farmhawg on January 16, 2017, 01:13:20 pm
Out of how many so far?

Out of how many good hires? Tons. Almost all of them TBH.

DoctorSusscrofa

Enos lost the same number of games as Smith did this year.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

870hogfan

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 16, 2017, 01:10:21 pm
So the 2nd half collapses in our last two games were attributed to something other than OC managing his side of the ball, correct?

So you judge a coach off of just 2 games?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: farmhawg on January 16, 2017, 01:13:20 pm
Out of how many so far?

Hits Lunney, Enos, Smith, every RB coach, Pittman, Shannon, Rhoads, and Partridge. Maybe Jennings

Ones that didn't Taver(only hold over), Ash, Smith (year one major success), Segrest(big year one as well), Hargreaves, and Chaney. Kurt Anderson currently however could change.

wachhog

Quote from: AP85 on January 14, 2017, 11:36:18 am
If his family can afford PA, then getting him into UAF isn't and won't be a problem.
Since when did UA become UAF? That's like saying UTA.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

aar0n

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm
Surprise suprise,  we lost a dc to Nebraska and now settling for Rhoades who has done nothing in recruiting his whole year.  Should we be surprised that this would happen under the Bielema admin?  Absolutely  par for the freaking course.  National signing day is coming within two weeks it is also subpar.

OP, I'm calling your ass out!

Answer me this question - why did Diaco interview here if we didn't have an opening?  Do you think he just said "hey their defense was pretty bad, why don't I go see if they'll let me interview?" 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 16, 2017, 01:10:21 pm
So the 2nd half collapses in our last two games were attributed to something other than OC managing his side of the ball, correct?
Good point but let's look at the total body of work not just 2 games. Although I do agree that we pass the ball too much sometimes when should be running.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 16, 2017, 12:26:50 pm
I agree with you about White. But as far as Crockett goes he could have played another position besides running back. He could have played LB or Safety. He just wanted to come to Arkansas. I know because I know his family personally. A guy that big running a legit 4.4 is hard to find no matter the state and it's even harder to find in Arkansas. When those type of athletes come along you have to get them and find a spot for them.

I don't disagree that the kid is a heck of an athlete and a very talented RB. No doubt about that. But in the highlights I watched of him, I never saw him play anything but RB, or a slot receiver. Did he play on defense at all in high school? I ask because I'm not in Arkansas. No one appears to have recruited him for anything other than RB.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 16, 2017, 05:34:29 pm
I don't disagree that the kid is a heck of an athlete and a very talented RB. No doubt about that. But in the highlights I watched of him, I never saw him play anything but RB, or a slot receiver. Did he play on defense at all in high school? I ask because I'm not in Arkansas. No one appears to have recruited him for anything other than RB.
Yes sir, He played safety and a walk up safety (basically an extra linebacker) his last two years a Little Rock Christian.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 16, 2017, 06:34:36 pm
Yes sir, He played safety and a walk up safety (basically an extra linebacker) his last two years a Little Rock Christian.

Why no highlight reels of this defensive play?
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 16, 2017, 06:36:35 pm
Why no highlight reels of this defensive play?
No idea. Guess he wanted to be promoted as a running back but he would have played any position he could get on the field first at Arkansas. I went to some of his games when he was at Christian. Including their playoff loss against PA his senior year. He played his 10th grade year at Camden Fairview. My alma mater.

LZH

Quote from: e_dub on January 14, 2017, 07:24:34 am
Would an accountant be held responsible for slumping sales? You're an idiot.

Hey!  >:(  Get it right.

It's "Your and idiot".

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 16, 2017, 07:04:31 pm
No idea. Guess he wanted to be promoted as a running back but he would have played any position he could get on the field first at Arkansas. I went to some of his games when he was at Christian. Including their playoff loss against PA his senior year. He played his 10th grade year at Camden Fairview. My alma mater.

He obviously positioned himself as a RB for recruiting. I can't speak to whether or not he told Razorback coaches that he would play any position on either side of the ball if he could just be a Hog. Being on the outside looking in and considering what a great athlete he seems to be, I have to believe that this wasn't the case and that he expressed his desire to play RB, otherwise he might have been a Hog. But I honestly don't know, I don't know his family like you do so I am only left to conjecture based in common sense. Would we really turn down such a great athlete if everything else were on the up and up? I can't imagine that. We need all of the great athletes that we can get. What I do know is that they apparently thought that the RB's that they had were going to be better performers at that particular position in the long term, and that they had other needs that had to be filled.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

January 16, 2017, 09:34:34 pm #199 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:09:10 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 16, 2017, 07:20:44 pm
He obviously positioned himself as a RB for recruiting. I can't speak to whether or not he told Razorback coaches that he would play any position on either side of the ball if he could just be a Hog. Being on the outside looking in and considering what a great athlete he seems to be, I have to believe that this wasn't the case and that he expressed his desire to play RB, otherwise he might have been a Hog. But I honestly don't know, I don't know his family like you do so I am only left to conjecture based in common sense. Would we really turn down such a great athlete if everything else were on the up and up? I can't imagine that. We need all of the great athletes that we can get. What I do know is that they apparently thought that the RB's that they had were going to be better performers at that particular position in the long term, and that they had other needs that had to be filled.
What I was told was that he just wanted to be a Hog. I didn't get in his family business as far as all the ins and outs in his recruitment. I'm not sure exactly what happened either but maybe it will work out for both parties. Williams and Whaley both are pretty good backs but I think Crockett is more dynamic that both of them when it comes to break away speed. Time will tell about Whaley. He hasn't gotten in the open field enough to really be judged properly when it comes to that. He should get a much bigger work load in the coming season.

I just hate to see some of these in state kids that want to be Hogs go to another school and shine. Especially a rival SEC school.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Little-Rock-Christians-Crockett-hopes-to-impress-the-Hogs-37564919