Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We struck out

Started by Hog Solo, January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Solo

Surprise suprise,  we lost a dc to Nebraska and now settling for Rhoades who has done nothing in recruiting his whole year.  Should we be surprised that this would happen under the Bielema admin?  Absolutely  par for the freaking course.  National signing day is coming within two weeks it is also subpar.

hog of steele

If it's Rhodes, why would I be surprised? I am used to our coach making good hires.

Hog Solo

Quote from: hog of steele on January 13, 2017, 11:01:27 pm
If it's Rhodes, why would I be surprised? I am used to our coach making good hires.
Please convince me that he is a good hire after this year.  Please

Nosboar Accubond

Every post for the next two weeks should require a breathalyzer

Hog Solo

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 13, 2017, 11:03:11 pm
Every post for the next two weeks should require a breathalyzer

You first.

Ramboar

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm
Surprise suprise,  we lost a dc to Nebraska and now settling for Rhoades who has done nothing in recruiting his whole year.  Should we be surprised that this would happen under the Bielema admin?  Absolutely  par for the freaking course.  National signing day is coming within two weeks it is also subpar.
CPR has a better recruiting history than Diaco. A couple 4* secondary guys we are after think pretty damn highly of him. Players on campus love the guy too.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Nosboar Accubond

Hey, go start another thread

factchecker

How many different ways can hogville spell or rather mispell Paul Rhoads name?

Maybe Diaco chose Nebraska because he didn't want to be called coach Dicooaoco.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogfan14

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:03:06 pm

Did you think Michael Smith was a terrible WR coach after his first year?

Hog Solo

Quote from: factchecker on January 13, 2017, 11:06:51 pm
How many different ways can hogville spell or rather mispell Paul Rhoads name?

Maybe Diaco chose Nebraska because he didn't want to be called coach Dicooaoco.

Yep,  Rhoads is not friendly with autocorrect can we not just name him roads?

Hog Solo

Quote from: hogfan14 on January 13, 2017, 11:06:58 pm
Did you think Michael Smith was a terrible WR coach after his first year?

He's not as important as who we hire as. D.C. especially after this year.   

hogcard1964

hogcam

It's funny when people freak out over stuff that didn't really happen

Hog Solo

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 13, 2017, 11:14:29 pm
Does it really matter?

Yes, absolutely.   We are going to be ok with someone on the staff getting an upgrade with our worst defense in the history of Arkansas football?  Yes, this is a miss.

Hog Solo

Quote from: hogcam on January 13, 2017, 11:16:34 pm
It's funny when people freak out over stuff that didn't really happen

Explain?  What didn't happen?  The fact that Bielema faked a better coach interview to get us out of a bad defense for next year? 

Ramboar

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:20:02 pm
Yes, absolutely.   We are going to be ok with someone on the staff getting an upgrade with our worst defense in the history of Arkansas football?  Yes, this is a miss.
Linebacker an D-line was atrocious the secondary was much improved.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Hog Solo

Quote from: Ramboar on January 13, 2017, 11:23:13 pm
Linebacker an D-line was atrocious the secondary was much improved.

If he was a great coach he would've improved all around defense last year.  Secondary was improved? 

hog of steele

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:03:06 pm

I cannot imagine what it would take to change your mind on this.

But I point to our coach's history. I like our assistants. CBB always surprises me and I generally like the results. And when a coach doesn't work out, CBB puts them out. So I trust our coach.

hogcam

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:21:52 pm
Explain?  What didn't happen?  The fact that Bielema faked a better coach interview to get us out of a bad defense for next year?
Diaco was never coming here. Not because he wanted to go to Nebraska more. Rhoads will be D.C.  Great hire! Homerun! Look for Partridge to be here in some sort of fashion..

Ramboar

CRS was the defensive coordinator. It's my understanding all CPR handled was the secondary. Yes watch 2015 secondary play compared to  2016. Much improved.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Dwillhog66

IMO you and many other posters love that Diaco is taking the Nebraska DC job. Gives you more opportunities to create bitching threads.
Wallowing in misery appears to be the love of so many posters here on HV

Ramboar

Quote from: hogcam on January 13, 2017, 11:28:45 pm
Diaco was never coming here. Not because he wanted to go to Nebraska more. Rhoads will be D.C.  Great hire! Homerun! Look for Partridge to be here in some sort of fashion..
This.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Hog Solo

Quote from: hog of steele on January 13, 2017, 11:26:44 pm

But I point to our coach's history. I like our assistants. CBB always surprises me and I generally like the results. And when a coach doesn't work out, CBB puts them out. So I trust our coach.

CBB definitely surprises me too.  He grabs the defeat out of the clutches of his underbelly many of times.

Hog Solo

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on January 13, 2017, 11:29:41 pm
IMO you and many other posters love that Diaco is taking the Nebraska DC job. Gives you more opportunities to create bitching threads.
Wallowing in misery appears to be the love of so many posters here on HV

Oh no you're wrong bud. I'd love to see the hogs win.  The fact that the hogs are this way is killing me.

LRHawg

Quote from: LRHawg on January 13, 2017, 10:59:25 am
I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of butt hurt on here if we don't end up hiring Diaco.

Told you.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:33:20 pm
Oh no you're wrong bud. I'd love to see the hogs win.  The fact that the hogs are this way is killing me.

Well you got to feel love 7 weeks this past season.
Letting your emotions be ruled by the play of 18-22 year olds is not healthy. Try to find something positive and you might not get killed!

Ramboar

2015 secondary gave up nearly 280 a game with a 64% completion rate. 2016 220 a game 58% percent completion rate. Not drastic but much improved. Dropped 60 a game average and 6% less completions in 1 year. Give the guy a chance.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Hog Solo

Quote from: LRHawg on January 13, 2017, 11:34:50 pm
Told you.

Look at you guys.  Sweet stuff.  The fact that we missed out on diaco is another step in the wrong direction.

doc53

Tell me its going to make a difference who we hire..that we will see different results....wish it were true
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

Hog Solo

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on January 13, 2017, 11:38:53 pm
Well you got to feel love 7 weeks this past season.
Letting your emotions be ruled by the play of 18-22 year olds is not healthy. Try to find something positive and you might not get killed!

Fair enough.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:40:05 pm
Look at you guys.  Sweet stuff.  The fact that we missed out on diaco is another step in the wrong direction.

OMG lord help us all. The end is near. It's January 13th and the '17 season is already a bust. We are all going to die!!!

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: Ramboar on January 13, 2017, 11:39:25 pm
2015 secondary gave up nearly 280 a game with a 64% completion rate. 2016 220 a game 58% percent completion rate. Not drastic but much improved. Dropped 60 a game average and 6% less completions in 1 year. Give the guy a chance.
While you are at it look up # of pass attempts. I would wager teams threw on us much more in 2015 vs 2016. Auburn game stands out to me...I bet they  threw the ball 5 times...10 times max in that game...and we got waxed 56-3.

2nd half of mizzou game sticks out as well. They couldn't run the ball on us in the 1st half so they decided to throw bombs all 2nd half. Worked quite well.

My opinion is pass defense wasn't really better...teams just didn't have to pass on us, easier to run it so that's what they did. Look at what we gave up on rushing stats. If an O coordinator sees those stats why would they want to try and pass the ball unless they have to.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

How a D.C. is going to do at Arkansas may be the least predictable of any coach in any sport at the university in terms of success and when it could happen.  Saying one specific coach is a home run and another is a bad hire is a real reach. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2017, 11:54:35 pm
How a D.C. is going to do at Arkansas may be the least predictable of any coach in any sport at the university in terms of success and when it could happen.  Saying one specific coach is a home run and another is a bad hire is a real reach. 

Rob Smith was a home run in 2014. He just got dumb since then.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

NuttinItUp

Rhoads is a good hire for the position. Lots of good experience.

He would have been stolen away had we not upgraded him to DC, btw. His resume is too deep.

Ramboar

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 13, 2017, 11:53:29 pm
While you are at it look up # of pass attempts. I would wager teams threw on us much more in 2015 vs 2016. Auburn game stands out to me...I bet they  threw the ball 5 times...10 times max in that game...and we got waxed 56-3.

2nd half of mizzou game sticks out as well. They couldn't run the ball on us in the 1st half so they decided to throw bombs all 2nd half. Worked quite well.

My opinion is pass defense wasn't really better...teams just didn't have to pass on us, easier to run it so that's what they did. Look at what we gave up on rushing stats. If an O coordinator sees those stats why would they want to try and pass the ball unless they have to.

Stats say that we were better and yes fewer pass attempts had a factor. If you have the time get on you tube and watch 15 compared to 16. Technique was better as well. I actually saw our secondary turn and look for the ball last season.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

factchecker

2015 passing defense
436 attempts, 280 completions, 64.2 completion %, 3577 yards, 8.2 yards per attempt, 18 TDs, 11 INTs

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/passing/defense/split.html

2016 passing defense
370 attempts, 218 completions, 58.9 completion %, 2875 yards, 7.8 yards per attempt, 12 TDs, 10 INTs

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/31/passing/defense/split.html

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 13, 2017, 11:53:29 pm
Auburn game stands out to me...I bet they  threw the ball 5 times...10 times max in that game...

Close... they only attempted 12 passes that game. 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Jonteviosk

Quote from: hog of steele on January 13, 2017, 11:26:44 pm

Yes his consistent 6=7 win seasons and losing to Toledo and Missouri makes you just want to trust Burt Beliemas jusgement.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Ramboar

Quote from: factchecker on January 14, 2017, 12:05:27 am
2015 passing defense
436 attempts, 280 completions, 64.2 completion %, 3577 yards, 8.2 yards per attempt, 18 TDs, 11 INTs

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/passing/defense/split.html

2016 passing defense
370 attempts, 218 completions, 58.9 completion %, 2875 yards, 7.8 yards per attempt, 12 TDs, 10 INTs

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/31/passing/defense/split.html

So fact you're a smart guy, 16 secondary improved or no?

Close... they only attempted 12 passes that game.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

rude1

Quote from: Ramboar on January 14, 2017, 12:03:13 am
Stats say that we were better and yes fewer pass attempts had a factor. If you have the time get on you tube and watch 15 compared to 16. Technique was better as well. I actually saw our secondary turn and look for the ball last season.

Just in time to watch it sail over their head to a wide open receiver.

HogimusMaximus

We are going to suck next year :puke:

factchecker

Quote from: Ramboar on January 14, 2017, 12:08:51 am
So fact you're a smart guy, 16 secondary improved or no?

As much as we want to simply look at numbers and say that a team has improved or not.....it really isn't that cut and dry.

You have to consider the opponents, the amount of attempts etc.

Some might say we did better due to less attempts but I can easily say that maybe we would have done better if they attempted more passes.  Maybe we get more interceptions if other teams abandon their highly effective running attack.  Look what happened to Florida when they decided to air it out instead of running against us.

You have to look at film.  Watch the improvement of certain players.

Ryan Pulley improved tremendously from his freshman year.  This was a kid who was spinning like a top against Tenn-Martin... a game where we gave up 380 yards passing.  Pulley finished the 2015 season strong with an INT late vs. Kansas State but then got burnt vs. J-Red in a viral video during spring ball.

Pulley was the defensive MVP in my opinion.  Is his improvement a testament to Coach Rhoads or is it a natural progression for a talented player?

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ramboar

Respect the info fact. You make some valid assessments.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

hhousewps

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 13, 2017, 11:56:01 pm

He was a home run because he had a handful of NFL players on his squad. Any half decent coach in the country could've had a great season with the players he had.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 11:25:12 pm

If he was a great coach he would've improved all around defense last year.  Secondary was improved?

It wasn't his job to improve the defense, but yes the secondary was better. Our problem was the DL severely underperformed. The DL was supposed to be a strength, but it was a failure. If you give receivers enough time they will get open. For example, The Packers vs The Giants last weekend. Rodgers has 5-8 seconds several times to throw the ball, and The Giants who have a great secondary couldn't shut down the receivers. See our last 2 games the DL got NO pressure in the 2nd half and we got burned. Segrest had done a subpar job, and should be shown the door, and same goes for Hargreaves. I don't expect either to be retained. Segrest may stay, but if he does it should be as a special teams coach.

Hawg Life

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 13, 2017, 11:56:01 pm

Spaight, Flowers, and Philon definitely helped him.

Torqued pork

There was an abundance of 1st year QBs in the SEC last year fwiw.

factchecker

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 14, 2017, 12:53:21 am
There was an abundance of 1st year QBs in the SEC last year fwiw.

Crazy enough our best performance was arguably against senior Chad Kelly.

18/39 46.3 completion % 253 yards  1 TD / 1 INT vs. us.

He was on pace to have a great year until he was injured vs. Georgia Southern later the season.

Add:

The year before Kelly had a great game against us:

24/34, 70.6 completion %, 3 TDs / 0 INTs
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogwild

We struck out

Surprise suprise,  we lost a dc to Nebraska and now settling for Rhoades who has done nothing in recruiting his whole year. 

Yes we did, but we struck out swinging. Nothing wrong with that.
CBB realized that the program has issues, then identified the top DC on the market. We didn't get him, it happens  :(