Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which staff was/is better 2013 vs 2016

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, January 12, 2017, 07:06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Was just thinking about how excited or at least optimistic most were when Bielema put together his first staff.  Got me thinking was the 2013 staff better than 2016?

I didn't feel like listing everyone but here are some comparisons based on collegiate experience.  I'm starting with the lines because BB's bread and butter is supposed to be line play on both sides of the ball.  Games won and lost in the trenches etc.

2013 (experience at time of hire)
OL:  Sam Pittman:  18 years FBS experience 10 at P5 schools.

DL:  Charlie Partridge: 11 years college experience 9 at P5 level.

2016 (at time of hire)
OL:  Kurt Anderson:  4 years FBS experience 0 at P5 level.

DL:  Rory Segrest:  8 years FCS experience 0 FBS.

Did he improve at either position with the new hires?  Can on field performance be correlated to past coaching success or experience.  I know there are a myriad of factors that go into on field performance some out of the coaches control, but it does make you wonder with our resources and being in the SEC should we be going for reaches.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jgphillips3

Line coaching was hands down better in 2013.  LB was better.  QB and OC were worse.  RB is a push.  DC and special teams is debatable I guess...lots of fail to go around in those two areas.  I'll give secondary the edge on the current staff.

JackJohnson

Throw Shannon for Hargreaves in there as well.  Hargreaves was in his mid 50s and had bounced around for almost a decade at 4 different mid majors mainly coaching DEs

If B.ert act the sense of urgency of every other SEC coach we could have Diaco as D.C., Partridge as DL and STC and Raymond Woodie as LB RIGHT NOW heading into these last all important recruiting weekends. 

HiggiePiggy

Our second half scoring was worse this year(126th) compared to (104th) in 2013.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

DLUXHOG

1977... no contest...

Head Coach -   Lou Holtz
Defensive Coordinator -   Monte Kiffin
Graduate Assistant -   Pete Carroll
Defensive Backs Coach -   John Jenkins
Graduate Assistant -   Dick Bumpas
Assistant Offensive Line Coach -   Pat Ruel
Defensive Line Coach -   John Mitchell
Offensive Line Coach -   Larry Beightol
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

wachhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 12, 2017, 07:06:10 pm
Was just thinking about how excited or at least optimistic most were when Bielema put together his first staff.  Got me thinking was the 2013 staff better than 2016?

I didn't feel like listing everyone but here are some comparisons based on collegiate experience.  I'm starting with the lines because BB's bread and butter is supposed to be line play on both sides of the ball.  Games won and lost in the trenches etc.

2013 (experience at time of hire)
OL:  Sam Pittman:  18 years FBS experience 10 at P5 schools.

DL:  Charlie Partridge: 11 years college experience 9 at P5 level.

2016 (at time of hire)
OL:  Kurt Anderson:  4 years FBS experience 0 at P5 level.

DL:  Rory Segrest:  8 years FCS experience 0 FBS.

Did he improve at either position with the new hires?  Can on field performance be correlated to past coaching success or experience.  I know there are a myriad of factors that go into on field performance some out of the coaches control, but it does make you wonder with our resources and being in the SEC should we be going for reaches.
When he came to Arkansas, one of the reasons he cited was that he couldn't keep good assistants
At Wisconsin. He blamed it on money. Since he came here he has not been able to keep assistants.  And I don't see it changing. He's had constant churn wherever he was head coach, I blame it on him. He calls himself a CEO coach, which means he is not an innovator, a motivator or a play-calling genius. It means he is totally dependent on the quality of assistants he has on staff.
Look at Wisconsin. Their football team hasn't missed a beat no matter the coaches--head coach or assistant. Alvarez is my idea of a good CEO.
Bielema is not even a decent operating officer--chief or otherwise. If Arkansas were a stock, it would be delisted.

billmontgomery10

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 13, 2017, 07:52:42 pm
1977... no contest...

Head Coach -   Lou Holtz

I'd still take the 1964 staff with Frank Broyles, DC Jim McKenzie (who left to become head coach at OU before his tragic death 1 year later), Wilson Matthews, DB Johnny Majors (won national championship), DE Barry Switzer(won national championship)  to name just a few.

jjsam

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on January 14, 2017, 11:20:31 pm
I'd still take the 1964 staff with Frank Broyles, DC Jim McKenzie (who left to become head coach at OU before his tragic death 1 year later), Wilson Matthews, DB Johnny Majors (won national championship), DE Barry Switzer(won national championship)  to name just a few.
I agree with you # 10....those coaches knew how to win under Coach Broyles... You & Chuck Dicus were 2 of the finest to ever wear Razorback Red!

Philibuster

How about we compare 2011 with 2016? Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

870hogfan

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 12, 2017, 07:33:37 pm
Throw Shannon for Hargreaves in there as well.  Hargreaves was in his mid 50s and had bounced around for almost a decade at 4 different mid majors mainly coaching DEs

If B.ert act the sense of urgency of every other SEC coach we could have Diaco as D.C., Partridge as DL and STC and Raymond Woodie as LB RIGHT NOW heading into these last all important recruiting weekends.

Who is B.ert?

Philibuster

Quote from: 870hogfan on January 15, 2017, 11:03:59 am

Who is B.ert?
He's that football coach that has a reality show on espn. He's always running his pie hole about how good he is, and how his previous records are better than elite coaches. You know the mediocre coach that can never back up what his mouth says!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 13, 2017, 07:52:42 pm
1977... no contest...

Head Coach -   Lou Holtz

That was a really good assistants staff! Some of Franks were salty as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

farmhawg

Quote from: wachhog on January 13, 2017, 08:10:54 pm
When he came to Arkansas, one of the reasons he cited was that he couldn't keep good assistants
At Wisconsin. He blamed it on money. Since he came here he has not been able to keep assistants.  And I don't see it changing. He's had constant churn wherever he was head coach, I blame it on him. He calls himself a CEO coach, which means he is not an innovator, a motivator or a play-calling genius. It means he is totally dependent on the quality of assistants he has on staff.
Look at Wisconsin. Their football team hasn't missed a beat no matter the coaches--head coach or assistant. Alvarez is my idea of a good CEO.
Bielema is not even a decent operating officer--chief or otherwise. If Arkansas were a stock, it would be delisted.
Hard to argue with that.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!