Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New eligibility proposal at AFCA convention

Started by ricepig, January 11, 2017, 11:51:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Gonna be a lot of freshmen playing the last four games of the season.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2017, 11:52:35 am

4 game JV season, lol.

younghog

GO HOGS

onebadrubi

Start scheduling a late season cupcake!!!

hogsanity

Why not just base it on games. You have 5 years to play, but can play in no more than 52 games over 4 seasons ( that is the equivalent of 12 reg season games over 4 years & 4 bowls )
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 12:11:09 pm
Why not just base it on games. You have 5 years to play, but can play in no more than 52 games over 4 seasons ( that is the equivalent of 12 reg season games over 4 years & 4 bowls )

While sounds good, it's too logical

hogfan14

So you could theoretically only play your best players for your 4 biggest games of the year and have them for another season? That would never happen but it is interesting haha

NuttinItUp

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 11, 2017, 12:08:55 pm
Why would it need to be late season? It just says 4 total games.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 11, 2017, 12:14:30 pm
Why would it need to be late season? It just says 4 total games.

You never know in mid season an injury or something may require a redshirt pulled. So I said late season so every redshirt that still has its shirt will play in that game no matter what.

You may not be willing to play them against Nichols st innswptmeber because what if the starter at their position pulls a hammy and needs 4 weeks to regroup before say the last 2 games?  Could have used those 4 games there instead you wasted 1 game on a cup cake early in sept

NaturalStateReb

That's actually a pretty good idea.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Erockster20

Why not just let kids play all 5 years?  If you are good enough to make an impact in your first year...you probably won't stay till the 5th.

But could get some time in blowouts or special teams.

Youngsta71701

I'm sure the injury factor comes into play...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Cobbler

This would penalize teams that go to conference championships and/or the national championship. Bama and Clemson both played 15 games this season. A handful of other teams played 14 games. Your proposed format is a solid idea, but I think it would have to be based on regular season games only to not penalize teams that play more than 13 games in a season.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Cobbler on January 11, 2017, 01:16:12 pm
This would penalize teams that go to conference championships and/or the national championship. Bama and Clemson both played 15 games this season. A handful of other teams played 14 games. Your proposed format is a solid idea, but I think it would have to be based on regular season games only to not penalize teams that play more than 13 games in a season.

Maybe not.

You figure the strong will generally stay strong--that's why just 5 active head coaches have won a title.  You'd also figure that you'd want a rule that wouldn't allow 5 full seasons.  If you limited it to 52 games, players at schools doing well probably won't get as much playing time anyway--they've got upperclassmen that are going to play.  If the freshmen were good enough to start or see significant playing time at these schools in year 1, they'll probably go to the NFL anyway, so the game total's not a problem.  They'd basically be no worse off than they are right now. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Pigsknuckles

or...they will play in 4 select games throughout their freshman season.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The_Iceman

I think redshirt players should be allowed to play in the Bowl games without losing eligibility.

Hugo Bezdek

Back before Freshman eligibility I believe teams were allowed to play a JV schedule. So here's a proposal: The current season has 12 regular season games plus an open date and most teams play at least two rent-a-wins. Let's cut the season back to 10 games against P5 opponents and create a 4 game JV schedule spread through the season.

Allow some varsity players to participate in JV games, but redshirts can only play in 4 games total (maybe including 1 or 2 varsity games). Varsity players can only participate in 10 regular-season games total, including any JV games they play. No redshirts in the Playoffs, but allow them in Bowl games since those are really just glorified exhibition games anyway.

jgphillips3

I'm okay with this. The medical redshirts are basically this anyway since Mono is so rampant in freshmen.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2017, 02:24:44 pm
I'm okay with this. The medical redshirts are basically this anyway since Mono is so rampant in freshmen.
Just implement this and do away with the medical redshirts.

ChicoHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 11, 2017, 12:08:55 pm
Unfortunately many SEC teams already do that.  UF, UGA, Scarolina, Auburn, Bama all do that consistently. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 11, 2017, 08:32:18 pm
Unfortunately many SEC teams already do that.  UF, UGA, Scarolina, Auburn, Bama all do that consistently.

Good by week to get healthy if your off week is early. Would be nice to have 3 4 game
Seasons so to say.

Hawghiggs

Like the idea. A bad season could actually be a spring board to the next season. If they could use a bowl game as one of those games.

Justagp

Biggus Piggus

It might keep more freshmen engaged if they had a chance to play without losing a redshirt season.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 11, 2017, 02:22:59 pm
Back before Freshman eligibility I believe teams were allowed to play a JV schedule.

That is correct. Our JV team was called the Shoates.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi