Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New DC sooner rather than later?

Started by redleg, January 10, 2017, 10:06:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2017, 12:53:10 pm
That is simply not true.

Really? He's had high level success? Must have missed it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogblitz

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 10, 2017, 12:39:32 pm
Pure None sense.Rhodes was part of the worst Arkansas Defense have seen in my over 50 years of watching Arkansas. this is what i feared would happen. and it's a bad move in my opinion.just going to hope it works out.no excuses if the defense is bad again next year.because it will be on the head coach,not Rhodes.
Then, we will hear the excuse about needing more time to implement the scheme.  We are already hearing rumblings of that now.  To some, Bielema should not ever be held accountable. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:56:03 pm
Really? He's had high level success? Must have missed it.

Because you aren't looking

King Kong

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:51:51 pm
Could have won 9 games this season had they played better. The secondary alone was responsible for 2-3 losses.

No, run defense yes. Second half TO by the offense yes. Secondary no

HF#1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 10, 2017, 12:57:34 pm
Because you aren't looking

Iowa State? Seriously, point out to me his high level success.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 01:00:42 pm
Iowa State? Seriously, point out to me his high level success.

I believe they are talking about his time at Pitt and Awburn.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 10, 2017, 12:52:15 pm
Paul Rhoads has had high level of success at Auburn and at Pitt which is a hard job.

Pitt- can you attribute that to Rhoads exclusively? No, he walked into a really good situation. 

Auburn- Really?  When you look into Auburn that year, it's far from a high level of success. 

People have been preaching Rhoads for a few months now because it's an easy path to something new, backup QB syndrome.  I'm not saying he won't improve this defense, but his time at Auburn is exactly what the same people asking for Rhoads say is the reason another guy won't work.  Couldn't stop physical run teams, got beat late in the year by ranked teams, etc. 

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: hogblitz on January 10, 2017, 12:57:11 pm
Then, we will hear the excuse about needing more time to implement the scheme.  We are already hearing rumblings of that now.  To some, Bielema should not ever be held accountable
NYJMSU
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

majp51

Quote from: King Kong on January 10, 2017, 12:20:19 pm
States DB were bad this year. However at he had 4 DB's have some B12 recognition at Iowa State in his 2 seasons. Which isn't common there.

Hopefully their poor play was more of result of a first year DC in Sirmon and lack of talent as MSU lost the majority of their defense.

Because of Injuries MSU played mostly underclassmen in the secondary this year. So this would not be good year to analyze his coaching acumen, unless they had turned out to be All SEC.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 10, 2017, 01:13:10 pm
Pitt- can you attribute that to Rhoads exclusively? No, he walked into a really good situation.  He was there for 7 season so he must have been doing something right?

Auburn- Really?  When you look into Auburn that year, it's far from a high level of success.  Just a one year deal. Not real sure what to make of it but the War Eagle Tigers did finish 27th nationally in total defense.

People have been preaching Rhoads for a few months now because it's an easy path to something new, backup QB syndrome.  I'm not saying he won't improve this defense, but his time at Auburn is exactly what the same people asking for Rhoads say is the reason another guy won't work.  Couldn't stop physical run teams, got beat late in the year by ranked teams, etc.

tophawg19

pitt was in the big east at the time
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawgar The Horrible

Yep. That #5 total defense fell into Rhoads lap during his eighth season. As did his #7 and #12 ranked defenses at Pitt.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

King Kong

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2017, 01:18:28 pm
pitt was in the big east at the time

Playing against HC's Petrino, Schiano. Rich Rod and Miami

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 10, 2017, 01:22:27 pm
Yep. That #5 total defense fell into Rhoads lap during his eighth season. As did his #7 and #12 ranked defenses at Pitt.

Makes no sense. Will say he stepped into a good situation, then blame him for Arkansas's bad defense after one year in the secondary. A secondary where the stats across the board show improvement.

Mind boggling.

King Kong

Bro really? Are you going to use facts to disprove their arguments?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on January 10, 2017, 10:46:24 am
That sec country article is pure speculation.  Once again,  nobody knows.

Not true. Jen and Bret probably know.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChitownHawg on January 10, 2017, 01:28:52 pm
Not true. Jen and Bret probably know.  ;)
Jen texted me last night.  she said Gruden is going to be our DC
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 10, 2017, 10:35:19 am

The last part isn't true. There has been media on top of almost every hire outside Anderson and Enos.
Sorry but that is very far from the truth.  It has become a joke here just how wrong everyone is right up till the end
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:50:02 pm
A good hire consists of a DC that has had high level success elsewhere. Paul Rhoads doesn't fit that description.
Who are you wanting us to get?  Why does Rhoades not fit?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

BigE_23

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:51:51 pm
Could have won 9 games this season had they played better. The secondary alone was responsible for 2-3 losses.
Name em...interested to hear this.

Pork Twain

I believe many of you are missing some sarcasm here.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 10, 2017, 01:31:30 pm
Jen texted me last night.  she said Gruden is going to be our DC

Does Bret know about this late night texting? He is a pretty big ole boy.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChitownHawg on January 10, 2017, 01:39:04 pm
Does Bret know about this late night texting? He is a pretty big ole boy.  ;D
as long as he doesnt read hogville I should be safe.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

tophawg19

on the good side he has coached in the big 12/swc so he shouid have some idea about stopping the spread . but his d/c days were against more run oriented teams . he is an emotional coach and a players guy. he had a few good wins at isu , t-tech , texas and WVU. all run some spread. but with that being said, why did CBB not turn to him to help more in game planning for spread teams ????? not the best hire , but likely the best CBB is going to get. Partridge would make it better . honestly I'd like to see the ASU D/c and D/L coaches get the job . not a lot of history but what is there is very good and i really like the on field product

Pork Twain

I do not think Paul Rhoads is amazing but when I look around at what is out there, not a lot impresses me.  Our defense is so bad though that I think we need a guy that has actually been a DC before and not an up and comer or a position coach turned DC (by that I mean a position coach coming here to be our DC).

The Boar War

If it is truly Rhoads I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during defensive staff meetings.  There were mistakes throughout the season that I would hope our new dc would have been able to point out.  Maybe he did and they simply weren't added included.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 10, 2017, 01:17:41 pm

At least someone get it.....KUDOS.  I had to LOL at "walked into a really good situation at Pitt"...He was hired by a coach named Walt Harris who was subsequently fired after 04.  He was retained by Dave Wanndstet, and how often do you see that happen.   I'd like to know what  was really good situation at Pitt?  His last year at Pitt they were 5-7, but had the 5th best defense in the country.   

DeltaBoy

Time to make an announcement and get back to recruiting.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Boar War on January 10, 2017, 03:05:35 pm
If it is truly Rhoads I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during defensive staff meetings.  There were mistakes throughout the season that I would hope our new dc would have been able to point out.  Maybe he did and they simply weren't added included.
well, that may explain why the defense was so poor, if the defensive staff was not on the same page, its not surprising that the players werent on the same page, or were less that motivated due to divided loyalties.

Scott7703

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 10, 2017, 01:31:35 pm
Sorry but that is very far from the truth.  It has become a joke here just how wrong everyone is right up till the end

You can believe whatever you would like but there were multiple people who knew who the hires were before they were announced. You may not have but a lot of people did. Now I can agree that word doesn't spread with bielema compared to when Nutt was here but these things do still find a way to get out. 

tophawg19

every name in coaching was thrown out so someone had to be right on many of these

Trystran

The question I have been tossing around is whether or not CBB feels enough pressure to get outside the box and make a flashy hire considering the seat is getting warmer? Does promoting Rhoads fit that bill? His room to gamble on some fairly unproven guys seems to be dwindling.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: redleg on January 10, 2017, 10:17:31 am
So is this Linguist a good hire?  ???
:razorback:

I'm not sure but I hear he is cunning

LZH

I guess I'd be OK with PR. But as long as fat boy is HC I'm not sure it's gonna matter a helluva lot.

Wildhog

Quote from: LZH on January 10, 2017, 04:45:24 pm
I guess I'd be OK with PR. But as long as fat boy is HC I'm not sure it's gonna matter a helluva lot.

This is pretty much where I'm at.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 10, 2017, 04:01:16 pm

You can believe whatever you would like but there were multiple people who knew who the hires were before they were announced. You may not have but a lot of people did. Now I can agree that word doesn't spread with bielema compared to when Nutt was here but these things do still find a way to get out. 
. A lot of people living in your head I guess.

The_Bionic_Pig

I thought PR was a 3-4 Defense kinda guy...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

BR

Quote from: RedyorNot on January 10, 2017, 11:38:42 am
Wouldn't be surprised if there's more activity after the Coaches Convention in Nashville, which is Jan 18-21.
Coaches convention started this week..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ricepig

Quote from: BR on January 10, 2017, 05:37:13 pm
Coaches convention started this week..

Yep, dead period ends tomorrow, they'll be back on the road recruiting on Thursday. 

Scott7703

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 10, 2017, 04:53:24 pm
. A lot of people living in your head I guess.

Just give it a rest. You are wrong. There have been multiple others in this post agree with what I said. I know people in the media and can tell you that it isn't as hush, hush as you think it is.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogblitz on January 10, 2017, 12:57:11 pm
Then, we will hear the excuse about needing more time to implement the scheme.  We are already hearing rumblings of that now.  To some, Bielema should not ever be held accountable. 

You hear rumblings? LOL.
[CENSORED]!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2017, 01:26:19 pm
Makes no sense. Will say he stepped into a good situation, then blame him for Arkansas's bad defense after one year in the secondary. A secondary where the stats across the board show improvement.

Mind boggling.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Pork Twain

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 10, 2017, 05:54:37 pm

Just give it a rest. You are wrong. There have been multiple others in this post agree with what I said. I know people in the media and can tell you that it isn't as hush, hush as you think it is.
woohoo a guy with sources.

hawgon

PR is fine if that is the hire.  But if he is, they should have done it two months agoZ

SkeeterHawg

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:44:01 pm
I'm not sure why people think Rhoads is a good hire. It's a lazy easy hire. I wasn't impressed with his secondary.
I'm not sure we can judge his secondary due to poor defensive line pressure on the QB.  Those guys cannot cover everyone forever on every down.  If the DL could have gotten more pressure, the coverage may have been better.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2017, 01:26:19 pm

Mind boggling.

I never blamed him for Arkansas secondary.  He hasnt had enough time but we did see improvement in the secondary.

He was auburn for one year. He could not stop physical teams. He let people run the ball down his throat to close games out and win in that one year.

While he was at PItt his last few years he worked under a defensive minded coach who imposed his ideas and will, Dave W.

King Kong

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 10, 2017, 07:14:52 pm
I never blamed him for Arkansas secondary.  He hasnt had enough time but we did see improvement in the secondary.

He was auburn for one year. He could not stop physical teams. He let people run the ball down his throat to close games out and win in that one year.

While he was at PItt his last few years he worked under a defensive minded coach who imposed his ideas and will, Dave W.

Auburn gave up 138 yards rushing per game and 18pts per game.

Wildhog

I'm all in on PR if it means we get Partridge back.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977