Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New DC sooner rather than later?

Started by redleg, January 10, 2017, 10:06:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

247 Sports is claiming that Bielema will be naming a new Defensive Coordinator very quickly, as well as a new safeties coach. Unless you have a membership, you can't read the article, but I feel that just from the headline, it would appear that Paul Rhoads will be the new DC for the Hogs.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Bielemas-search-for-Smiths-replacement-appears-to-be-quick-one-50422691
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

NuttinItUp

Rhoads is a good hire. If he didn't get hired by us as DC, someone else would have hired him for that role.

He has too good of a resume.

redleg

So is this Linguist a good hire?  ???

Al Boarland

Probably doesn't help in recruiting, but maybe he can coach them up better than Smith.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 10, 2017, 10:22:04 am
Probably doesn't help in recruiting, but maybe he can coach them up better than Smith.

How well does the Miss St asst rumored for the safeties job recruit? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

redleg

Did a little research on Linguist. He's from Mesquite, TX, and played safety at Baylor from 2003 - 2006, got into coaching after his college playing days, and in 2014 was hired by Rhoads to coach the secondary at Iowa St. When Rhoads was fired after the 2015 season, Linguist was hired by Dan Mullen to coach safeties at Miss St.
Linguist seems to be a good coach, and has strong recruiting ties to Texas, specifically the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
I like it.  ;D

onebadrubi

While all could be true, this is low hanging fruit for a writer to get something in print.  It doesn't take any work or any inside info to piece together an article to say that Rhoads is going to be the DC and bring in his old Safety coach.

Oh and it would be the first time in Bielema's tenure that I can remember that the Arkansas media sniffed one out 

Scott7703

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 10, 2017, 10:32:45 am
While all could be true, this is low hanging fruit for a writer to get something in print.  It doesn't take any work or any inside info to piece together an article to say that Rhoads is going to be the DC and bring in his old Safety coach.

Oh and it would be the first time in Bielema's tenure that I can remember that the Arkansas media sniffed one out 

The last part isn't true. There has been media on top of almost every hire outside Anderson and Enos.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 10, 2017, 10:35:19 am

The last part isn't true. There has been media on top of almost every hire outside Anderson and Enos.

Robb Smith?  Rory Siegrest? Micheal Smith?  Any of the RB coaches (Actually I think they did link the current RB coach like the day of or night before).  Hargreaves? Rhoads?  I don't remember them being on these any before their hirings.

hogblitz

I sure hope that it is not Rhoades that lands the job.  Nothing against Rhoades.  It just makes Bielema look like a complete idiot once again.  The reason being because he sacrificed the last half of the season by not firing Smith and inserting Rhoades when he was going to lead the defense anyway.  It should have happened after 543 yards rushing allowed against auburn. It shows he was not looking out for the best interest of the team and cares more about his buddies or image if this happens.   

SDZ_Hog

well, if we are hiring within I hope its at a discount. Then take money and hire some premier assistance.

King Kong

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 10, 2017, 10:41:23 am
Robb Smith?  Rory Siegrest? Micheal Smith?  Any of the RB coaches (Actually I think they did link the current RB coach like the day of or night before).  Hargreaves? Rhoads?  I don't remember them being on these any before their hirings.

Robb Smith was leaked 3 weeks before he was hired. Singleton was leak 2 days prior by Tulsa world news

Hargreaves interview leaked by 247 a week before

Wildhog

Robb Smith and Hargreaves were both heavily rumored for a while before they were hired.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: King Kong on January 10, 2017, 10:43:08 am
Robb Smith was leaked 3 weeks before he was hired. Singleton was leak 2 days prior by Tulsa world news

Hargreaves interview leaked by 247 a week before

Yep.  The rumor was that it was between Smith and Barry Odom for DC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Scott7703

Both smiths, Hargreaves and Rhodes were all talked about for sure. Sometimes they don't come out and say "this will be the hire" but the names are mentioned and known. The two I never heard mentioned were Anderson and enos.

Andrew Hogfan

That sec country article is pure speculation.  Once again,  nobody knows.
WPS!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 10, 2017, 10:46:23 am
Both smiths, Hargreaves and Rhodes were all talked about for sure. Sometimes they don't come out and say "this will be the hire" but the names are mentioned and known. The two I never heard mentioned were Anderson and enos.

I don't think we ever heard Segrest.  CBB kept talking about how they were waiting for bowl season and NFL playoffs to be over before hiring a DL coach, and then he hires the DL coach from friggin' Samford.
1909/1964/1965/1977

redleg

Quote from: hogblitz on January 10, 2017, 10:41:46 am
I sure hope that it is not Rhoades that lands the job.  Nothing against Rhoades.  It just makes Bielema look like a complete idiot once again.  The reason being because he sacrificed the last half of the season by not firing Smith and inserting Rhoades when he was going to lead the defense anyway.  It should have happened after 543 yards rushing allowed against auburn. It shows he was not looking out for the best interest of the team and cares more about his buddies or image if this happens.
Why would he disrupt an already benign defense just to make that kind of move? I don't see it. Rhoads was brought in as a safeties coach. Could he have been a Catch-21 if Smith's defense didn't improve? Sure. Of course. But what genius!...bring in your next potential DC, let him get acclimated to the environment, learn the players, get in a year of recruiting, and then promote him to run the defense. I think it's a brilliant move. Especially since Rhoads is an excellent defensive coach.

Scott7703

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2017, 10:48:59 am
I don't think we ever heard Segrest.  CBB kept talking about how they were waiting for bowl season and NFL playoffs to be over before hiring a DL coach, and then he hires the DL coach from friggin' Samford.

Lol who has been terrible to this point as well. That's another spot we will upgrade this offseason I suspect.

woodhog14

Quote from: redleg on January 10, 2017, 10:25:30 am
Did a little research on Linguist. He's from Mesquite, TX, and played safety at Baylor from 2003 - 2006, got into coaching after his college playing days, and in 2014 was hired by Rhoads to coach the secondary at Iowa St. When Rhoads was fired after the 2015 season, Linguist was hired by Dan Mullen to coach safeties at Miss St.
Linguist seems to be a good coach, and has strong recruiting ties to Texas, specifically the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
I like it.  ;D

I think this would be a bad move.  State's DB's were worse than ours this year.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 10, 2017, 10:54:49 am

Lol who has been terrible to this point as well. That's another spot we will upgrade this offseason I suspect.

I think many of us here hope.  DL coach is seemingly becoming a rah rah guy that can recruit.  We aren't getting that or what appears a to be a good X's and O's guy.

RazorPiggie

Better to have the DC in office during this last recruiting weekends. If a position coach isn't there it just gives the HC more opportunities to recruit (I'm pretty sure).

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 10, 2017, 11:04:15 am
I think many of us here hope.  DL coach is seemingly becoming a rah rah guy that can recruit.  We aren't getting that or what appears a to be a good X's and O's guy.

Segrest had never recruited an FBS football player before being hired at Arkansas.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2017, 11:06:13 am
Segrest had never recruited an FBS football player before being hired at Arkansas.

Definitely BB most questionable hire to date. It would be nice if partridge was coming back,.

Oklahawg

So, SEC Country finds it appropriate to read a 247 subscriber-only article and then reprise it for free? And, we buy that information when I'm not sure I know of a source I trust less.

Might be accurate, who knows.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2017, 11:06:13 am

Yea but he had all those phone numbers from his old Eagles players he was passing out to the recruits!

RedyorNot

Wouldn't be surprised if there's more activity after the Coaches Convention in Nashville, which is Jan 18-21.

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: hogblitz on January 10, 2017, 10:41:46 am

Agree, the change should have been made mid-season.

311Hog

i just hope whom ever it is we still some how get Partridge to return.  It was good when he was here.

Wildhog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2017, 12:19:38 pm
i just hope whom ever it is we still some how get Partridge to return.  It was good when he was here.

Great recruiter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Quote from: woodhog14 on January 10, 2017, 11:03:39 am
I think this would be a bad move.  State's DB's were worse than ours this year.

States DB were bad this year. However at he had 4 DB's have some B12 recognition at Iowa State in his 2 seasons. Which isn't common there.

Hopefully their poor play was more of result of a first year DC in Sirmon and lack of talent as MSU lost the majority of their defense.

He also recruited well for MSU. Pulling in several of the top JUCO safeties.

With such a small resume really hard to determine.

King Kong

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2017, 12:19:38 pm

Worked with Rhoads at Pitt and they also have great relationships. I suspect Partridge is going to be on this staff next year.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on January 10, 2017, 12:18:20 pm
Agree, the change should have been made mid-season.

I would like to add that Rhodes was already on staff, and we are sitting there with Allen in an admin job.  Allen is a good coach, and could have immediately stepped in.  This should have been done after the Aubbie fiasco with the coaching resources we had on staff. 

farmhawg

Lmao.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

forrest city joe

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 10, 2017, 10:16:10 am
Rhoads is a good hire. If he didn't get hired by us as DC, someone else would have hired him for that role.

He has too good of a resume.
Pure None sense.Rhodes was part of the worst Arkansas Defense have seen in my over 50 years of watching Arkansas. this is what i feared would happen. and it's a bad move in my opinion.just going to hope it works out.no excuses if the defense is bad again next year.because it will be on the head coach,not Rhodes.

RazorBassin

Still hope Segrest "seeks other opportunities" and we bring Charlie Partridge back!

HF#1

I'm not sure why people think Rhoads is a good hire. It's a lazy easy hire. I wasn't impressed with his secondary.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

tophawg19

Quote from: redleg on January 10, 2017, 10:53:52 am
Why would he disrupt an already benign defense just to make that kind of move? I don't see it. Rhoads was brought in as a safeties coach. Could he have been a Catch-21 if Smith's defense didn't improve? Sure. Of course. But what genius!...bring in your next potential DC, let him get acclimated to the environment, learn the players, get in a year of recruiting, and then promote him to run the defense. I think it's a brilliant move. Especially since Rhoads is an excellent defensive coach.
according to what? his bio shows he has had worse years than this season. they are either good or bad . we had that with smith whose average defense was 38.5 . Rhoads average is 39.5 and that is in the big east mostly
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

forrest city joe

Quote from: RazorBassin on January 10, 2017, 12:43:47 pm
Still hope Segrest "seeks other opportunities" and we bring Charlie Partridge back!
After what we have seen from the DL the last 2 years.he should have already been fired. the fact that he's not,speaks volumes.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 10, 2017, 10:22:04 am
its looking more like BB knew this was a possibility and brought Rhoads in as an assistant so that he would be able to step right in if RS couldn't get it done.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:44:01 pm
I'm not sure why people think Rhoads is a good hire. It's a lazy easy hire. I wasn't impressed with his secondary.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:44:01 pm

Yards per game down, Ints up and Pick 6s up. But that part is irrelevant.

He has to fix the run defense without giving up the easy pass like the previous DC did.

HF#1

A good hire consists of a DC that has had high level success elsewhere. Paul Rhoads doesn't fit that description.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

forrest city joe

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:50:02 pm
A good hire consists of a DC that has had high level success elsewhere. Paul Rhoads doesn't fit that description.

HF#1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 10, 2017, 12:49:55 pm
Yards per game down, Ints up and Pick 6s up. But that part is irrelevant.

He has to fix the run defense without giving up the easy pass like the previous DC did.

Could have won 9 games this season had they played better. The secondary alone was responsible for 2-3 losses.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Paul Rhoads has had high level of success at Auburn and at Pitt which is a hard job.

The_Iceman

That is simply not true.

hogblitz

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 10, 2017, 12:25:00 pm
I would like to add that Rhodes was already on staff, and we are sitting there with Allen in an admin job.  Allen is a good coach, and could have immediately stepped in.  This should have been done after the Aubbie fiasco with the coaching resources we had on staff.
Valid point.  Allen could have been used in some capacity. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:51:51 pm
Could have won 9 games this season had they played better. The secondary alone was responsible for 2-3 losses.

Want to go into further detail on this ridiculous take?