Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith to Minnesota

Started by jcb03005, January 09, 2017, 01:06:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: redleg on January 10, 2017, 10:27:53 am
Glad you've got all of the answers Youngsta71701.....the rest of us are just a bunch of lame-brains.  :-X
:razorback:
Never said that. Some of you have legitimate points at times and some on the other hand not so much. Most of this stuff is just common sense and football knowledge from being around the game all my life.

If you haven't noticed almost every time we pass the ball more than we run the ball we either lose or we barely win against a lesser opponent. Look at the numbers if you think I'm wrong. Our style of play is based on the run first. If we run the ball not matter how successful or unsuccessful the run is it sets up everything else. It even helps out our defense. When we become one dimensional the QB either gets killed or he starts to turn the ball over no matter who the QB is. And that goes all the way back to the beginning of the Beilema days and probably even further back than that.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

factchecker

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 10, 2017, 10:24:44 am
Also I'm guessing you would rather turn the ball over and give them a short field rather than run the ball and punt with a 24 lead. Sometimes punting is not a bad thing. Situational football people. That is what we suck at right now... :puke:

Especially with Toby Baker.  Run the ball, milk the clock, and flip the field with Toby.  Our defense played well when they weren't starting with their backs against the goal-line.

Heck, maybe we should have actually played more conservative in the 2nd half.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

a0ashle

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2017, 10:26:55 am
We sucked at overcoming adversity.  Why i have no idea, but soon as the tide turns we folded.  You would think the team of the Henry Heave and the Miracle on Markhams x 2 etc. etc would be very resilient but not this season.  We choked in the 2nd half.

If I could add to my post above.

5. Inability to handle adversity has not been a nagging problem of CBB teams. We showed a lot of resilience in '14 and '15.

Why is this? I dunno, sometimes it is a lack of vocal peer leadership. If we had a Tretola voice on this team would they have handled things better? We will never know, but it's certainly possible.

grayhawg

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 10:35:50 am
Especially with Toby Baker.  Run the ball, milk the clock, and flip the field with Toby.  Our defense played well when they weren't starting with their backs against the goal-line.

Heck, maybe we should have actually played more conservative in the 2nd half.
We averaged less than 2 yards per carry, hard to melt the clock that way. V tech took away our running game in the first half.

lutherheggs

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 10, 2017, 09:34:07 am
You said he. Blocked everyone. That's not true. I'm not blocked.
I was wrong. In fact, I reviewed my tweets and I forgot about a total of 2 tweets I made that were negative and made with his twitter name in them. One after the Missouri game and one after the bowl game. I assume he had an assistant go through his twitter account and block anyone who has ever tweeted anything that was not a positive point or opinion.

I get it since recruits read tweets sent to him but on the other hand, fairly thin skinned. Even recruits know there are going to be fans that are upset with this past season. If you are a public figure, you should be able to handle it. Fyi, my tweets were mild. Not personally offensive or the like. Just negative regarding outcome of those two games.

a0ashle

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 10, 2017, 02:35:56 pm
I was wrong. In fact, I reviewed my tweets and I forgot about a total of 2 tweets I made that were negative and made with his twitter name in them. One after the Missouri game and one after the bowl game. I assume he had an assistant go through his twitter account and block anyone who has ever tweeted anything that was not a positive point or opinion.

I get it since recruits read tweets sent to him but on the other hand, fairly thin skinned. Even recruits know there are going to be fans that are upset with this past season. If you are a public figure, you should be able to handle it. Fyi, my tweets were mild. Not personally offensive or the like. Just negative regarding outcome of those two games.

You aren't blocked from tweeting, he just doesn't want to see it. its naive to think blocking people on twitter means CBB doesn't hear criticisms.

hawgwash

What a thread.  Some people seriously believe we could have controlled the clock for 25 of 30 minutes in the 2nd half if we had simply only run the ball or threw short passes in the flat.  Regardless of how we had success, or didn't, in the first half.  Another says he got blocked by CBB for no reason, having never tweeted to or about him.  Upon further review, wait, he did make negative tweets after our two most recent games.  How can we take you guys seriously?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: grayhawg on January 10, 2017, 11:57:59 am
We averaged less than 2 yards per carry, hard to melt the clock that way. V tech took away our running game in the first half.
Yeah, but we stuck with it and we still put up 24. In our type of offense you can't give up on the run. You have to stick with it and stay balanced no matter what or our passing game want be consistently successful. We don't have a Texas Tech type of offense. Even if we are not running the ball with great success the thought of the run sets up our play-action passing game.

Youngsta71701

January 10, 2017, 07:06:42 pm #158 Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:19:49 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: hawgwash on January 10, 2017, 07:00:51 pm
What a thread.  Some people seriously believe we could have controlled the clock for 25 of 30 minutes in the 2nd half if we had simply only run the ball or threw short passes in the flat.  Regardless of how we had success, or didn't, in the first half.  Another says he got blocked by CBB for no reason, having never tweeted to or about him.  Upon further review, wait, he did make negative tweets after our two most recent games.  How can we take you guys seriously?
How successful was passing the ball on 80% of the second half plays?... ??? ...If you have patience with the running game eventually holes will start opening up. Alabama maybe the exception...On some of those running plays an offensive linemen just flat out missed an assignment and didn't block one of the defensive linemen upfront.

daprospecta

Quote from: elksnort on January 09, 2017, 02:12:08 pm
Many folks have said the defense quit at times. I must say that I am not sure that anyone on defense actually "quit".

Having been a former player, I will trust your judgment regarding this. Do you remember any specific plays that they quit?

Again, I am curious if this was really the case at times.
Quitting as in not finishing the play, not running to the ball, not playing until the whistle blows.

Hoggish1

Quote from: LZH on January 09, 2017, 01:16:25 pm
I wish him well also. But, will we really see any change next year with a new DC?

Well, that was a positive post...

KennyForAD

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 09, 2017, 01:26:32 pm
Hopefully, with more team speed.  I mean, if you're going to be out of position, you'd better be fast.

"His speed only means he gets to the wrong place faster."  - Lou Holtz