Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From today's Demozette on Rob Smith and his defenses at Arkansas

Started by lutherheggs, January 07, 2017, 10:17:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lutherheggs

If he stays, makes $850,000 next season, a $50,000 raise from this past season.

Ark's defense finished 10th in the country in his first year, 2014, in both total defense (323 yds/game) and scoring defense (19.2 pts/game).

Ark's defense slipped to 58th in the country in 2015, allowing 392 yds/game.

Ark's defense dropped further this year to 76th in total defense, allowing 427 yds/game.

Arkansas allowed an Arkansas and SEC record 543 yds rushing vs Auburn this year.

Arkansas allowed a school-record 39 rushing TD's, the most this season by a FBS program.  Arkansas' previous record was 25 rushing TD's allowed, set last season.

Arkansas ranked 85th in scoring defense this year, allowing 31.1 pts/game. They allowed 30 or more in 8 games.

Arkansas' defense allowed 5.91 yds/carry this year which ranks 126th out of 128 teams in FBS.

Opposing QB's scored 17 rushing TD's against Arkansas, a figure that would lead the SEC in individual rushing TD's.

Tell me how, given the above, that Smith should or could remain at his current job, at his current salary.

hobhog

Best case scenario is he leaves and we get paid $250,000. Fire him and we write a check for $850,000.

He'd be an expensive hire for someone......

depressed_fan

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 07, 2017, 10:17:42 am

Ark's defense finished 10th in the country in his first year, 2014, in both total defense (323 yds/game) and scoring defense (19.2 pts/game).

Ark's defense dropped further this year to 76th in total defense, allowing 427 yds/game.

Arkansas allowed an Arkansas and SEC record 543 yds rushing vs Auburn this year.

Arkansas allowed a school-record 39 rushing TD's, the most this season by a FBS program.  Arkansas' previous record was 25 rushing TD's allowed, set last season.

Arkansas ranked 85th in scoring defense this year, allowing 31.1 pts/game. They allowed 30 or more in 8 games.

Arkansas' defense allowed 5.91 yds/carry this year which ranks 126th out of 128 teams in FBS.

Opposing QB's scored 17 rushing TD's against Arkansas, a figure that would lead the SEC in individual rushing TD's.

Tell me how, given the above, that Smith should or could remain at his current job, at his current salary.

I don't think his salary has anything to do with the stats does it? If you're making X amount of money at your job and the boss don't think you're doing a good enough job, I don't think he cuts you to half the pay, I think he would fire you or demote you to do a lesser job. We aren't the ones making that decision.

Hawgar The Horrible

Is there a point to this? Show me evidence of people foaming at the mouth for Smith to be retained.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

deedster84

I think if he decides to take Wake job, and he was told he was free to search for another job, Smith's buyout would be waved

007 License To Squeal

I propose that Smith, the DL coach,and the Dback coaches should all hit the road. This has been an embarrassing year...

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hobhog on January 07, 2017, 10:20:31 am
Best case scenario is he leaves and we get paid $250,000. Fire him and we write a check for $850,000.

He'd be an expensive hire for someone......

Most likely scenario is we wave his Buyout fee for leaving to another school to help it easier for him to take a job elsewhere.

So we can avoid firing him and the cost for Arkansas to buyout his contract.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 07, 2017, 11:43:07 am
I propose that Smith, the DL coach,and the Dback coaches should all hit the road. This has been an embarrassing year...

There was improvement with the DBs under Rhoads compared to last year. I don't expect him to go. I personally though the LB's were much worse than the DB's

Tusks

Any scheme that puts the MLB on a slot WR is flawed and there were many many times I remember watching the MLB chasing a WR over the middle.  You have to know your players limitations and scheme accordingly.  If it's a passing down then get him off the field, which never happened.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on January 07, 2017, 01:59:21 pm
Any scheme that puts the MLB on a slot WR is flawed and there were many many times I remember watching the MLB chasing a WR over the middle.  You have to know your players limitations and scheme accordingly.  If it's a passing down then get him off the field, which never happened.

I agree with this, of course, most of the time the other team was going HUNH so we couldn't substitute. We don't need a SS covering a slot WR, much less a LB.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 07, 2017, 11:50:19 am
Most likely scenario is we wave his Buyout fee for leaving to another school to help it easier for him to take a job elsewhere.

So we can avoid firing him and the cost for Arkansas to buyout his contract.

This, though I think he stays for another year

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 07, 2017, 02:25:16 pm
This, though I think he stays for another year

You think Smith stays? His contract ends June 30, 2018.

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 02:26:51 pm
You think Smith stays? His contract ends June 30, 2018.

Through 2017.  I don't think he makes it past January 2018.

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 07, 2017, 02:53:51 pm

I don't think he makes it through January, 2017.

jkstock04

Think about this...assuming rob smith is gone (I think he will be), starting with Bielemas 5th year we will be on defensive coordinator number 3.

At some point the finger pointing is going to have to be directed towards the head coach. Supposedly Bielema is a defensive minded coach. Was the scheme this year 100% on Rob Smith?

I do find it somewhat humorous that people gnash teeth when stats about Bielemas on the field coaching tenure through 4 years is brought up and would be idiotic to fire him for such...but we can take 1 year stats from the defense with 100% proof that it's the coordinators fault lol.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hog.goblin

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 07, 2017, 02:59:36 pm
I hope you are right

Well, I actually bet a poster on here back after the Mizzou game saying he'd be staying, I hope I'm wrong on that.

Josh Goforth

couldn't take him off the field when he was the only one that could get them lined up.

Kevin

No question. That is why I got tired of hearing the coaches say "maybe we are asking guys to do things they cannot do"

No kidding, just watch the film.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Josh Goforth on January 07, 2017, 03:15:36 pm
couldn't take him off the field when he was the only one that could get them lined up.

So, that 3.21 GPA couldn't get lined up correctly?

Tusks

Quote from: Josh Goforth on January 07, 2017, 03:15:36 pm

then COACH someone to get them lined up.  would you rather have a 210lb S trying to tackle a RB or a 250 slow LB trying to cover a WR?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 03:01:04 pm
Well, I actually bet a poster on here back after the Mizzou game saying he'd be staying, I hope I'm wrong on that.

Hedging your bet, well done.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 07, 2017, 11:52:34 am
There was improvement with the DBs under Rhoads compared to last year. I don't expect him to go. I personally though the LB's were much worse than the DB's
Other than Pulley,there was no improvement by the DB's. they were just as bad as the year before. that Mizzo game said it all. Rhodes and everyone on that defense should be out of here.get them out of here.

King Kong

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 07, 2017, 06:29:49 pm
Other than Pulley,there was no improvement by the DB's. they were just as bad as the year before. that Mizzo game said it all. Rhodes and everyone on that defense should be out of here.get them out of here.

Major improvement. Jared Collins will probably get signed as an undrafted FA in the offseason. Almost unbelievable after he got bench in the Liberty Bowl

Seebs

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 07, 2017, 06:29:49 pm

Your posts now remind me of the 10 minutes they make you wait after a colonoscopy. It is very noisy and a nuisance but has to be accomplished before they let you leave. 
They are not firing the entire defense and if you cannot see the improvement from the DBs you simply are too enraged to see. Which I buy.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 03:39:20 pm
So, that 3.21 GPA couldn't get lined up correctly?

Watching us play it appears we have recruited a bunch of kids with high IQs off the field but very low football IQ on the field

MuskogeeHogFan

That's part of the problem and it isn't just our scheme, it applies to the scheme of any team.

I think that anytime that you have a personnel grouping on the field that allows the offense to scheme in such a way as to get a WR vs. MLB match up in coverage, you have...

a) schemed your defense wrong for that particular opponent or,
b) you have the wrong personnel group on the field or,
c) you don't have enough of the right type of personnel to have an entire personnel group that matches up well with that type of offense (usually, spread).

In any case, being able to create these mismatches by having scouted you well and knowing how you are going to react in terms of defensive shifts/alignments and personnel groupings to certain offensive alignments, can make a defense look a lot worse (in terms of talent) than you may actually be as a unit.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogsolo

His D was good the one year he had Randy Shannon on staff.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: deedster84 on January 07, 2017, 11:31:40 am
I think if he decides to take Wake job, and he was told he was free to search for another job, Smith's buyout would be waved

I think you are dead on.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 07, 2017, 07:41:09 pm
That's part of the problem and it isn't just our scheme, it applies to the scheme of any team.

I think that anytime that you have a personnel grouping on the field that allows the offense to scheme in such a way as to get a WR vs. MLB match up in coverage, you have...

a) schemed your defense wrong for that particular opponent or,
b) you have the wrong personnel group on the field or,
c) you don't have enough of the right type of personnel to have an entire personnel group that matches up well with that type of offense (usually, spread).

In any case, being able to create these mismatches by having scouted you well and knowing how you are going to react in terms of defensive shifts/alignments and personnel groupings to certain offensive alignments, can make a defense look a lot worse (in terms of talent) than you may actually be as a unit.

You are absolutely right.  Against any of those big spread teams like TT or A@M we should have 5 DBs in the game with 2 of our fastest LBs who can cover and tackle well in space.  DL should be fast, athletic and be able to get off blocks.

Against the more physical run teams you have to scheme differently.  Of course that is much easier said because teams will sub in player groupings that will change things completely.  This has to be very difficult but after our defensive coaches watch hours of video they have to scheme right or be subject to a big play(s).   

nwahogfan1

Quote from: IAMHogholio on January 07, 2017, 09:46:44 pm

So that year was Randy Shannon's Defense?  Interesting?

jgphillips3

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 07, 2017, 10:08:11 pm
So that year was Randy Shannon's Defense?  Interesting?

I don't think it was all Randy Shannon's defense but I think he had major input and without his input, it's like watching HDN try to run the wildcat without Gus...it just doesn't work.

Torqued pork

Quote from: IAMHogholio on January 07, 2017, 09:46:44 pm
We haven't found replacements for Flowers, Philon, and Spaight. We've signed some decent defensive talent, but none at their level as of now.

A sideline-to-sideline linebacker and a nasty safety would do wonders.

DeltaBoy

He did a poor job at best and left our LB to chase WR over the middle.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgon

Like I have said before, what is Smith's financial incentive for taking another job?  He is not going to be hired as a DC somewhere on the same level as Arkansas.  And if he is hired as a DC it will be somewhere like Wake or lower where it will be apparent to everyone he only took it to get out before he was fired.  So he is looking at being a DC at somewhere like Wake, if he gets the job, or as a position coach.  Either way it will be pretty huge decrease in pay.  Or he could get fired at Arkansas, bank the $850,000 and still take a job as a position coach or DC at a smaller school.  Even if the $850k is offset by his new salary, he stills gets to make $850k next year if he gets fired.

So, the only kind of job he can get is one where it will be apparent he was about to be fired.  Therefore he has no pride incentive to leave before that happens.  So, his only incentive is financial and financially it makes much more sense to get fired.

Why are we so reluctant to fire him?

hogcard1964

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 07, 2017, 02:53:51 pm

You think he still stays this season?

JackJohnson

Quote from: hawgon on January 09, 2017, 10:18:00 am
Why are we so reluctant to fire him?

Everyone keeps saying so we don't burn any bridges.  Well we haven't burned any bridges but still ended up hiring Segrest, Hargreaves and Anderson who all took ginormous (and unwarranted) Upgrades when taking this job.  I would have expected to get a little more bang for my buck and get established and worthy coaches who wanted a better work environment with all these sturdy bridges

hawgon

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 09, 2017, 10:27:19 am
Everyone keeps saying so we don't burn any bridges.  Well we haven't burned any bridges but still ended up hiring Segrest, Hargreaves and Anderson who all took ginormous (and unwarranted) Upgrades when taking this job.  I would have expected to get a little more bang for my buck and get established and worthy coaches who wanted a better work environment with all these sturdy bridges

You never know how it is looked at by the coaching community.  Our "not burning any bridges" might be looked at as "trying to avoid paying what we owe" by established coaches.

And whatever you want to say good about BB assistant stability is not one.  If Smith is gone next year, it will be our third DC in five years with much turnover at the positions as well.  Not to mention we are also on our second OC and several position coaches on that side of the ball too.

And almost all of the moves seemed to be a little acrimonious.  Ash made a lateral move and BB had pointed statements about him in press conferences after.   Chaney was telling reporters on the eve of the Texas Bowl "this isn't my offense".  And of course, BB's feelings were obviously hurt when Pittman moved on.

AirWarren

hog.goblin

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 02:56:19 pm
I don't think he makes it through January, 2017.

I'm glad I was wrong.  Wish him the best in MN.  I really didn't think anyone would hire him.

I don't know if he was the problem or not, but we are about to find out.

lutherheggs

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 10, 2017, 08:50:48 am
I'm glad I was wrong.  Wish him the best in MN.  I really didn't think anyone would hire him.

I don't know if he was the problem or not, but we are about to find out.
He was obviously a primary part of the problem given how the defense regressed over the past 2 seasons even with 9 returning starters this season. However, I think we are about to get confirmation that the largest part of the problem is the head coach.

lutherheggs

No one ever responded with a good answer on how and why Smith should remain as DC. Sure enough, fired.

hogcard1964

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 14, 2017, 10:24:14 am
No one ever responded with a good answer on how and why Smith should remain as DC. Sure enough, fired.

He's better than Diaco.   ;)

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 14, 2017, 10:24:14 am

You expected a debate?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.