Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 24, 2024, 07:26:14 pm

New DC

Started by mizzouman, January 06, 2017, 02:29:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcam

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 10, 2017, 09:56:56 am
Our secondary play was just as awful under rhodes as it was before. I think mizzou's wide receivers just burned our secondary again for another bomb. He may be better than smith, but i doubt the problems get fixed next year
You can't please everyone.  Our secondary play was better this year.  We were pressing Missouri's receivers and they were just beating them on go routes.  It had nothing to do with coaching unless you would rather our Dbacks play 7 yards off.  Then you would whine about them getting beat short.  Our corners were better this year.  We have no talent at safety and need to improve in that area.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2017, 10:06:38 am
When you consider how little pass rush we got on the QB, the secondary actually played pretty decent this year. Ryan Pulley was a breakout player.

The pass defense went from 266 yards per game to 226 yards per game under Rhodes.
I agree the pass rush was awful. The only reason the pass yards allowed per game went down was because lsu, bama, and auburn didn't have to throw to win. Mississippi state, vt, mizzou, and other teams showed when teams had to throw because of time, score, etc. our secondary was like swiss cheese
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hogcam on January 10, 2017, 10:09:26 am
You can't please everyone.  Our secondary play was better this year.  We were pressing Missouri's receivers and they were just beating them on go routes.  It had nothing to do with coaching unless you would rather our Dbacks play 7 yards off.  Then you would whine about them getting beat short.  Our corners were better this year.  We have no talent at safety and need to improve in that area.
So you're saying if we play seven yards off we get beat short, and if we play tight we get beat deep? Sounds like a great coach.

hogcam

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 10, 2017, 10:27:34 am
So you're saying if we play seven yards off we get beat short, and if we play tight we get beat deep? Sounds like a great coach.
I am saying there is not a lot of talent in the secondary and we need to improve our recruiting in the secondary tremendously and add a lot more speed.

hogcam

Go look at defensive back recruiting in 2013, 2014, and 2015 and you will see what I am talking about.  It is pathetic.  For some reason, that is our biggest weakness in recruiting.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hogcam on January 10, 2017, 10:29:00 am
I am saying there is not a lot of talent in the secondary and we need to improve our recruiting in the secondary tremendously and add a lot more speed.
Well that's something i can definitely agree with, and also the reason i said don't expect rhodes to fix the problems next year

Pork Twain

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2017, 08:43:18 am
some of us have been behind CBB and still don't like this idea. We need coaches on the Level of Bama . Rhoads history says he isn't on that level. If you can't out recruit them , then you better out coach them. by the numbers several of Rhoads defenses were worse than what we had this year. And that wasn't against the SEC . His defenses have been in the 70's before
Come on the suspense is killing me.  Which coach are you wanting to hire that can field as good or better defense than Bama, with less talent? 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bennyl08

Quote from: King Kong on January 10, 2017, 07:06:17 am
There is most definitely a difference in 4 years of DI data vs 9 years + being the most successful Iowa State coach

Being a HC has little bearing on his ability to be a DC. Might as well say that he has 8 years as one of the best heart surgeons in the country, we should hire him as an electrical engineer. The two are a little bit related, if he is an expert in the heart, he has to have a little understanding of electricity.

Otherwise, given that Rhoads actually has a history as a DC, I'm going to judge his merits as a DC based on when he actually was a DC, not when he was a marvel.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 10, 2017, 08:21:50 am
Well that and the fact that Rhoades was a pretty darned good DC for almost a decade before getting a HC gig.

His record is almost identical to Robb Smith's, just with more years. In fact, on average, his record is slightly worse.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

tophawg19

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 10, 2017, 09:52:52 am
How have those "high level" coaches at done since they left Bama? Muschamp couldn't win at Florida, Smart? jury is still out.  McElwain is still not up to Florida standards.  Derek Dooley?  Talent doesn't make you a better coach.   
uh we aren't hiring them to be a head coach . big difference . By bama level, that means a top 10 quality guy. put the money on the line for proven coaches . you don't see Lsu , bama , and Auburn reaching for hopefuls
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pork Twain

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2017, 02:13:38 pm
uh we aren't hiring them to be a head coach . big difference . By bama level, that means a top 10 quality guy. put the money on the line for proven coaches . you don't see Lsu , bama , and Auburn reaching for hopefuls
Names?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hogwild

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2017, 08:43:18 am
some of us have been behind CBB and still don't like this idea. We need coaches on the Level of Bama . Rhoads history says he isn't on that level. If you can't out recruit them , then you better out coach them. by the numbers several of Rhoads defenses were worse than what we had this year. And that wasn't against the SEC . His defenses have been in the 70's before

While Rhoads wouldn't be my top choice, he is an upgrade. He knows his Xs & Os, not sure how well he recruits.  If we are able to get him some talent, the defense will improve.

tophawg19

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 10, 2017, 01:26:46 pm
Come on the suspense is killing me.  Which coach are you wanting to hire that can field as good or better defense than Bama, with less talent? 
you saw one last night in Brent Venables . but we can't hire those guys because we don't pay enough . One young one i think is about to blow up is Arkansas State's D/c and their D/L coach too. He brings a high intensity , aggressive defense . They play fast, hit hard and play as a team. i really feel like both of them have a bright future . but you can't hope to compete with the top teams without top D/C's .

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2017, 03:24:10 pm
you saw one last night in Brent Venables . but we can't hire those guys because we don't pay enough . One young one i think is about to blow up is Arkansas State's D/c and their D/L coach too. He brings a high intensity , aggressive defense . They play fast, hit hard and play as a team. i really feel like both of them have a bright future . but you can't hope to compete with the top teams without top D/C's .
I think CBB make his DC play more conservatively than they want to...

forrest city joe

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 10, 2017, 10:25:01 am
I agree the pass rush was awful. The only reason the pass yards allowed per game went down was because lsu, bama, and auburn didn't have to throw to win. Mississippi state, vt, mizzou, and other teams showed when teams had to throw because of time, score, etc. our secondary was like swiss cheese
YEP!

Atlhogfan1

DC at Arkansas isn't a good career move for those with promising careers. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Was all of that on the secondary, or can some of it be put on the DL and LB's?

tophawg19

Justin wilcox at wisconsin would be one to look at .

King Kong

We actually held Va Tech and Mizz below their averages in passing yards. We were very good against Ole Piss which had the best QB in the SEC before injury and had his way with us the year before.

The improvement there happened.

King Kong

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 10, 2017, 02:01:58 pm
Being a HC has little bearing on his ability to be a DC. Might as well say that he has 8 years as one of the best heart surgeons in the country, we should hire him as an electrical engineer. The two are a little bit related, if he is an expert in the heart, he has to have a little understanding of electricity.

Otherwise, given that Rhoads actually has a history as a DC, I'm going to judge his merits as a DC based on when he actually was a DC, not when he was a marvel.

Cool story

tophawg19

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 10, 2017, 03:27:45 pm
if it's really true then he will never hire a top coach at any position .i find it hard to believe Enos or Rhoads would agree to that .

grayhawg

All the plays in the read option with a mobile quarterback was evidently something Robb Smith could not effectively scheme for.

Pork Twain

can we keep it realistic?  There is no reason for a coach to leave a school with everything better than we can offer to come here and try to throw together a defense with our recruiting base.

I could go for the ASU guys, but their sunbelt success might not directly translate to the SEC.  nothing is a sure thing

Pork Twain

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 10, 2017, 03:27:45 pm
what makes you think that?

Paul

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 10, 2017, 09:50:30 am
Just so everyone is clear.

This is Paul Rhodes (English Actor)

This is Paul Rhoads (American Football Coach)

which defense does Rhodes prefer?

PonderinHog

Inhogswetrust

January 10, 2017, 05:05:48 pm #326 Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:23:59 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Redhogs on January 10, 2017, 08:06:37 am
If this is how it shakes out, Bret's done.

If you were Jeff Long I'd believe you.....but you're not so I don't. The way you post on here you only wish you had Jeff's job. you and a lot more on here think you know all there is to running multimillion dollar athletic department but none of us really have a clue as to what all it take and entails. Especially those that always complain all the time no matter what.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 10, 2017, 04:46:23 pm
can we keep it realistic?  There is no reason for a coach to leave a school with everything better than we can offer to come here and try to throw together a defense with our recruiting base.

I could go for the ASU guys, but their sunbelt success might not directly translate to the SEC.  nothing is a sure thing
money and security . if you produce a good defense at Arkansas , you can stay as long as you like . A coach like Smart or Chavis can recruit to Arkansas on name alone

sickboy

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2017, 08:23:02 am
What is wrong with Paul Rhodes?

Only 49 years old.
DC at Pitt and Auburn from 2000-2008.
7 years of head coaching experience in the Big 12 at Iowa State.
Likes to run a 3-4 base.

I'm failing to see why his promotion wouldn't be a good move.

It would be a smart move.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2017, 05:14:19 pm
money and security . if you produce a good defense at Arkansas , you can stay as long as you like . A coach like Smart or Chavis can recruit to Arkansas on name alone
That money and security exists where they are already. 

As far as recruiting to Arkansas on name alone, that is easy to say, impossible to prove.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: sickboy on January 10, 2017, 05:52:53 pm
It would be a smart move.
If I'm not mistaken, Linguist, the safeties coach - who has the all-important state of Texas ties - from Miss. State, worked with Rhoads at Iowa State.